Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tennis69

RE: Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Awful?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:49 pm

You want to see some nice uniforms look at KE, QR, or CZ. They know how to dress.

art

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 3):
Delta just got new uniforms designed last year. They are not too bad.

Isn't it a bit pointless spending time and money designing new uniforms if the reaction is that they are "not too bad"? Perhaps French or Italian designers should have been used. My apologies if they were!

LH417AF025

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:17 pm

about the first picture in the post... didn't you say that most US airlines' uniforms look like school children uniforms in the UK with black trousers and a white shirt?

that is what the girl is wearing in the photo.... formal yes... fabulous, not to sure about that...

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):
HP wins my vote

In my opinion... HP's uniforms are absolutely horrible.

UA is 10 times better looking than them, but still i agree with most in that DL is the best looking out of the American crowd.

SingaporeBoy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:20 pm

SQ's female attendants uniform date back to 1972.....thats over 35years....the male FA's date back to 1990.As for the females uniform..thats's SQ iconic brand...and will never be changed.But the male's godawful design is so ugly...and the quality of it....just look at some of them closely and you can see how ill fitting and badly made it is.
However SQ was expected to change it in March next year but apparently the top has said that why waste money on something that is still wearable.This from someone who wears pants with white socks and was from the army.What the hell does he know about image and style?

flashflyguy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 44):
With most of the US carrier crews I've flown with bordering on the geriatric, I'm surprised US carriers don't all go for sensible tweed and twin-sets, and for the men, big old-man trousers pulled up to the chest

rotfl   rotfl 
Would the mens ensemble feature the grandfather suspenders?

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 45):
On the plus side, the new uniforms at DL seem to have reinvigorated the airlines' image and the service employees provide.

This is probably to do with the "look good, feel good, do good" approach when you dress to your best.

mats

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:53 pm

It's true; Ameircans aren't as interested in clothes as is the case in other cultures. It is particularly embarassing to see some of the Americna airline crews in foreign airports, particularly the Continental crews in culottes.

I learned, however, that some crew members modify their uniform to be more fashionable. At Continental, they talk about the "speaker skirt." The speakers--typically from Latin America--tighten and shorten the uniform skirt, thereby looking a bit more chic.

I applaud Delta and British Airways for taking the lead. Their uniforms are lively, attractive, and flattering, Working as a flight attendant is--I'm sure--hot, cramped, sweaty, and tiring. But these two airlines have shown that one can still look good even after a long flight or an unduly short layover.

PRAirbus

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:49 pm

AA management does not care how their employees look, they do have some "grooming policies" but those are seldom followed or enforced. The unprofessional and untidy appearance is a reflection of how low the employee morale is at AA. During the 90's AA was growing and most employees looked stunning, there were plenty of accesories to complement the uniforms. After mid-90's the quality of the uniforms went down-hill, management eliminated the uniform purse, the female FA hat, the scarfs, etc. Then they started introducing modified versions of the uniforms w/out even collecting the old pieces therefore ending up w/the "melange" and hodge-podge the employees currently wear. Management does not provide enough allowance points to order and entire full set especially for flight crews (FAs). No one follows up how employees come to work. When the last VP of Flight took her job, after 9/11, she alllowed the horrendous "clog-shoes". AA Management is focused on drastic cost-cutting and lining up their pockets w/bonuses, employee appearance is the last thing on their minds, bottom line...they do not care. Most US carriers do have a laid-back attitude regarding appearance it is also cultural. European and Asian carriers take more time to care about the FA's image...it is a brand they represent, not so in the USA, especially at AA. Grooming checks are not conducted fearing discrimination lawsuits...the pride is gone. Not sure why AA does not invest on revamping its brand/image by updating the uniforms. They cry being broke but still they reap the benefits from rank and file employees' paycuts. Many "old-school" FAs are irritated by Flight Service's current laid-back philosophy...the way the employees look is also a reflection of Management's lack of leadership. It is a shame, sad but true.

TheSorcerer

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:02 am

In the thread starters pic the guy's uniform just looks like a suit to me. He could easily be mistaken for a business man, not an FA.

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

debonair

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Thread starter):
The uniforms look like they were designed back 20-30 years ago and look like a school kids uniform here in the UK.

checkmark  Agree to 100%...

But face it this way, 20-30 years ago, US uniforms were 20-30yrs ahead of time!  bigthumbsup 

And even today, everyone remembers BRANIFF's PUCCI-style http://www.braniffinternational.org/image/puccifashion.htm , "SUNdancekids" by Hughes Airwest http://www.hughesairwest.com/SundanceKids-1.jpg or PSA's "heart-hat" http://www.jetpsa.com/stewgrad/stewgrad/7306.jpg  cloudnine 

ABQopsHP

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:59 am

I thought there was a requirement by the government in the early 90s that airline uniforms had to be standardized, hence the reason most are navy blue and drab. I also recall one airline (CO or TW) doing a study on the effects of red in a uniform and backwalls, on customers. Red tends to bring out hostilities in customers when there are irregular operations, and such. Colours such as blue and grey, tend to be soothing and passive. I liked my sage coloured HP uniform when I was still customer service in the 90s. Now Im wearing that god awfull CO uniform with the pinstripes, and tie. I cant for the life of me get the local manager convinced to let us get rid of the tie, at least during the summer months down here in south texas, where its 90deg F and the humidity is 95%. I like the business casual approach in warm months.
JD
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

thirteenright

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 38):
Stan Herman, quite a bit of money to design that crap. But to their credit, they had even more hideous uniforms that they were ready to introduce in Feb. 06 but that was cancelled due to extremely poor feedback from US employees.

He also designed the JetBlue uniforms which are awful to wear. The monotone look is nice, but the blacks dont match and the whole thing is unprofessional looking and too casual (the women's sweater set is atrocious).

I think Stan Herman needs to retire.  butthead 

Yankees

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:01 am

I just flew USAir the other day and I think those uniforms need work!
B733,B738,B752,B762,B763,B777,MD80,CRJ,CR7,ATR,ER3,ERD,ER4,A319,A320,A321

hamad

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:12 am

regarding united arilines, the uniform is nice, but the crew don't really wear the full outfit, nor is ienforced. for instance with united came with their new uniform, i know that the dress has to have a belt and a hat to go with it, since then only once on a 757 from SFO to SAN i have seen one of the female flight attendants wearing the hat, thats it. again, i am not meaning it in a bad way, but people in the USA are not really strict about dressing up unless they have to. and if its not enforced within the airline to wear the full outfit, then i dont know how would we see nice uniforms?
PHX - i miss spotting

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 12):
Huh? what's inappropriate? If you're referring to the sleeveless navy apron, it's just that - an apron that is worn over a regular uniform...not over nothing. And the red dress is not as low-cut as it looks on that professional model...if you look at the red dress on normal, real FAs in those pictures, they are not risque at all....

The Delta Air Lines Red Wrap Skirt was designed not for all sizes of women in mind, it does look good on some with the proper weight and height on others it looks like you are trying to overfill a big red bag..

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 22):

US has already had the new uniforms designed, you will start seeing them in a few months

Tasteless, Outdated, Unprofessional..

Quoting LINATE (Reply 23):
Can't imagine anyone liking the CO uniform..

Boring, Drap, Very Unmarketable..

Quoting ThirteenRight (Reply 28):
MAXjet cabin crew have awesome uniforms

Smart, Colourful, Professional..

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 30):
Just in case you are interested, here are the photos of the new US uniforms.

I cant believe that someone was paid to design those things! The suit on the large guy looks horrible. Why cant US airlines for once get a European cut, and fitted suit on a man. It would make a World of difference..

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 31):
Look at that amazing new Air Berlin uniform (start in June 2007).

That is great, it represents the energy of Air Berlin and their forward thinking image..

Quoting Jtl11968 (Reply 33):
I also notice that the US carriers allow the women to wear pants when most of the Asian or European carriers only have dresses or skirts as part of the female ensemble. BA, VS, EK are quite sharp. SQ's great uniform could only be worn by those amazing SQ girls. I'm sure a pair of pants are more comfortable but, IMO, a dress/skirt looks more professional.

The Pants are fine, but not on the US based crews. Prudence is something that was not handed out when the uniforms were being ordered by the US airlines female Cabin Crew members. The pants for the most part are okay, but some people need to understand they are no longer a size 8, they are a size 12. Just use common sense. On the other hand I think that the Emirates Flight Attendants look wonderful in their pants. However they also pay attention to grooming something the US airlines would otherwise seem to care nothing about..

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 36):
I agree as far as UA goes, it's woeful. I was out at Sydney airport one morning picking up a friend and a United crew came out of the terminal, the women looked like they'd just come off shift from working on a production line in a factory.

The uniforms worn by United Airlines crews are without a doubt some of the most tacky being flown across the Pacific. Qantas crews have crisp, clean, and fashionable uniforms that market the Qantas image. Looking at United Airlines crews you would think that they had been working in a coal mine or something of that nature..

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 39):
My favourite is definitely Qantas:

I would put my money on a toss up between QF, AZ, NH, BA, AF, and QR

Quoting Wingedarrow (Reply 46):
Still one of my favourites

VIVA ALITALIA!!

I get to see these for 6hours and 45 minutes tomorrow on my flight from Dubai to Malpensa!

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 47):
Who cares what the uniforms look like?

I knew someone was going to write this from the American side of things..

When you are headed down the escape slide with your hair on fire, any F/A uniform is going to look good

Here we go, I predicted this one in the beginning of this topic..

These folks are on the airplane for your safety and not for your aesthetic gratification or your entertainment.

I am batting a hundred today..

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

iairallie

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:14 am

I dont like the women's dress and there's a snowball's chance in hell that I would let my gf or wife wear THAT!

Um are we in iran or afgahnistan where women need your permission?

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
Have you actually SEEN the red dress? Thats showing almost the entire top of the chest!

Yes I have and there is nothing revealing about it the actual uniform dresses keep everything covered up and don't cling like the ones in the fashion show. The traditional conservative coat dress is far more revealing they tend to gap open when you move.

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 22):
US has already had the new uniforms designed, you will start seeing them in a few months.

and they are HIDEOUS!
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

ThereandBack

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 31):
Look at that amazing new Air Berlin uniform (start in June 2007). Women uniform looks beautiful and excellent but male uniform looks somewhat funny - why red belt for men to wear it?? Looks like he is going to a nightclub. He wore little tight shirt. It will look ridicules if some male cabin crews who are a little bit chubby or something.

LTU will be wearing this uniform too and my flight with them a week ago had it and when the female FA bent over you could see her underwear clearly. I am suprised the used such a see through fabric.
A red belt for men is better than pink ties for the males at TK.

debonair

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting ThereandBack (Reply 65):
and when the female FA bent over you could see her underwear clearly. I am suprised the used such a see through fabric.

thats not right... it is called "breathable" fabric...  Embarrassment

flashflyguy

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 63):

I knew someone was going to write this from the American side of things..

When you are headed down the escape slide with your hair on fire, any F/A uniform is going to look good

Here we go, I predicted this one in the beginning of this topic..

These folks are on the airplane for your safety and not for your aesthetic gratification or your entertainment.

I am batting a hundred today..

You sure are FLYGUY767, I thought the same thing when I saw this thread..cue "We're only here for your safety crowd". I saw that not long after it was posted and wasn't going to touch it...but I just found this titillating bit of information for ThirtyEcho. Big grin While surfing google, it's from the current brief (in process at this time) for new uniforms for SkyEurope....

Full brief can be found here. It's a very interesting read, with what an airline looks for in the design of uniforms.

flykal

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:25 am

Big version: Width: 400 Height: 266 File size: 47kb

I think that the new KE uniform is hard to beat...especially when it looks like this!
...and to think that I get to work with this every day!
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

jbernie

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 13):
Most Asian airlines dress their female cabin crews in traditional gowns, but I sure hope nobody expects US carriers to dress their FA´s in southern dresses Scarlett O´Hara style... LOL...

well it would act as a good air brake going down the emergency slide......

I would pay to see that....maybe they can do a sitcom instead.... be a nightmare going through security though.

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 57):
In the thread starters pic the guy's uniform just looks like a suit to me. He could easily be mistaken for a business man, not an FA.

very true, but in saying that, when you are getting service on a flight would you prefer to the guy in the suit or the guy in the ripped jeans & stained shirt? Yes, over exageration, but as a customer i am going to fell just that much more important when served buy a guy in a suit.

Side note, most important thing for any uniform, no matter how good/bad it looks... is making sure the staff are comfortable wearing it... doing a long haul flight in the something that offers zero comfort... won't hold it against the staff for being a tad irritable.

jtl11968

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:54 am

I knew someone would mention the F/A job is to be there for our safety. I agree wholeheartedly, but it is also the F/A's job to represent their airline. No different than an employee of any company, not just airlines. So, do I really care what the crew wears? Yes!

I agree that uniform checks are not done in the US because a fear of discrimination lawsuits. My people love to sue. Are there any airlines that have age or weight restrictions? Someone once told me that Korean Air issued one size uniform to its crew members and required them to maintain that size. True? I've seen a few US domestic crews that have trouble getting their arses up the aisle.

osiris30

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:58 am

Have you actually SEEN the red dress? Thats showing almost the entire top of the chest! I don't want guys starring at my gf or wife's chest the entire flight. That is the only inappropriate thing about the uniform. Like I said...this is only MY opinion.

Wow man.. the 1800's called and asked you return their moral views!!! Their boobs.. and you see a part of them.. Does your wife/gf get to wear a bathing suit or does she have to wear an evening gown to the beach?
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Jtl11968 (Reply 70):
I've seen a few US domestic crews that have trouble getting their arses up the aisle.

Let alone two legs in one spot without flowing onto the poor passengers on the aisle seats.. The big guy in the US Airways picture sure could use a little bit of discretion when it comes to uniform size. He looks unprofessional in that uniform it looks like it is screaming for some breathing room. I had 2 relative's that visited the US from Italy, they returned to Italy and for the most part they had images of how large the people are. You dont see people that large in and around Northern Italy. Then again food are natural for the most part in Northern Italy, and KFC is not part of the daily diet either.

I agree that uniform checks are not done in the US because a fear of discrimination lawsuits

Unfortunately the US airlines would not seem to care about image, as overall the US has a take it easy attitude from the top to the bottom of the airline industry. Knock Alitalia, Olympic, and what ever other Union heavy airlines you want, they still maintain an image unlike the Union huggers at the US airlines that run to the Union everytime they are pulled aside for not wearing deodorant, having to much jewelery, or not wearing proper hosiery.

Are there any airlines that have age or weight restrictions?

In the US no, and it is very unfortunate..

-JD

g4resagent

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 72):
In the US no, and it is very unfortunate..

I would check that again.

From Allegiant's F/A requirements:

Physical Requirements: Minimum 21 years of age; Weight in proportion to height; Vision correctable to 20/20.

Viscount724

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting Flykal (Reply 68):
I think that the new KE uniform is hard to beat...especially when it looks like this!

With those colors, the KE drycleaning budget must be very high! They'd need cleaning almost every day.

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:29 am

Quoting G4resagent (Reply 73):

Physical Requirements: Minimum 21 years of age; Weight in proportion to height; Vision correctable to 20/20

Find me a major that can discriminate against weight..

Height and Weight proportions in the US is a bit loser than Asia or Europe.. Wink

-JD

FURUREFA

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:59 am

My favorite uniforms are:

#1: AF
#2: BA
#3: QF

AA"s is not bad ; it's just that flight service never enforces the grooming regulations.

Matt

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting LH417AF025 (Reply 52):
HP wins my vote

In my opinion... HP's uniforms are absolutely horrible.

I was referring to the ones that just came out a couple of years ago. The white shirt with green stripes looked horrible!

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 64):
Um are we in iran or afgahnistan where women need your permission?

Who said they needed my permission, I never said that. Please dont put words in my mouth that I did not say.

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 71):
Does your wife/gf get to wear a bathing suit or does she have to wear an evening gown to the beach?

Like I said earlier, I don thave a wife/gf so its not an issue, at least for now. I was stating my opinion as if I had a wife/gf.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 77):
I was referring to the ones that just came out a couple of years ago. The white shirt with green stripes looked horrible!

What white shirt with green stripes?

A couple of years ago?

Do you mean the white shirts with the blue stripes?
Those have been out for at least a decade if not longer..

-JD

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 30):

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 38):

the heavy set man with the goatee and shaved head....are those big horsey teeph (teeth) standard US issue duck 

Quoting Frontierflyer (Reply 5):

I'd love to see the women wear hats.
see my signature line below
You can never have enough hats, gloves, and 3 1/2 inch spiked heel stiletto pumps in various styles and colors

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 79):
the heavy set man with the goatee and shaved head....are those big horsey teeph (teeth) standard US issue

Oh that is so true...

I guess it goes along with the image I shot below of a beat up and battered US Airways East 757-200. Notice the stains, light panel covering missing, and duck tape holding the overhead bin together...

US Airways is a truly classy airline..  yuck 

Big version: Width: 2272 Height: 1704 File size: 967kb
Another beat up and battered US Airways East 757-200

-JD

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 35):
Okay, okay it´s not a US carrier...

That is why it looks so good... That is Lufthansa isnt it?

-JD

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 80):

you should see their gate @ LIT (express) looks like a run down trailer park....equipment that hasn't been fixed in years all with flat tires or no wheels @ all. a real nice warm welcome to Arkansaw. snaggletooth  dopey 

by the way i have big horse teeph Wink
You can never have enough hats, gloves, and 3 1/2 inch spiked heel stiletto pumps in various styles and colors

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 78):
What white shirt with green stripes?

If you were working for HP in 2003 like I was, you'd know exactly what Im talking about. They did wear the white button up shirt with green stripes running down the shirt. In 2004, they changed over to the blue checker colored shirt, but did not completely phase out the white shirt with green stripes yet.

fly2yyz

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 74):
With those colors, the KE drycleaning budget must be very high! They'd need cleaning almost every day.

Well they certainly must. Everytime I see them they look beautiful. Gianfranco Ferre did a great job with their uniforms.

PHX Flyer

RE: Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Awfu

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:01 am

I disagree with the notion that US F/A uniforms are generally worse than the rest of the world. Maybe I don't get the whole picture, because I fly almost exclusively Continental. However at CO, they are certainly keeping up with the Joneses:

They look very sharp, and definitely better than the bland, generic looking EasyJet uniforms, which were shown above as an example of avantgarde airline uniform design. I guess those would work for EasyCar rental agents too, and EasyBus drivers .... probably makes for better volume discount.

The Aussie F/A above looks like a bell boy, in my opinion. The new Air Berlin uniforms seem quite nice, however, they are first and foremost a leisure airline, and polo shirts may work in that setting. F/A's with full-service airlines should still wear coats. It just looks more professional.

Except for the striped tie, I have no issues with the new US Airways uniforms. The coats are reminiscent of TWA, and that can't be a bad thing ...
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 85):

I liked my CO uniform when I worked for COEX. I still wear the gold and burgundy tie and handkerchief with my regular suits I wear on special occaisons. Wink

Viscount724

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:33 am

The Aussie F/A above looks like a bell boy, in my opinion.

I had exactly the same thought. Hope they don't start expecting tips.

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 83):
If you were working for HP in 2003 like I was, you'd know exactly what Im talking about. They did wear the white button up shirt with green stripes running down the shirt. In 2004, they changed over to the blue checker colored shirt, but did not completely phase out the white shirt with green stripes yet.

No I unfortunately did not and do not work for HP, I have however heard a lot of great things about the airline and its employees seem a lot more upbeat than that at US East. Are you referring to a In-Flight uniform or a Ground Staff uniform? I have flown on HP a lot in the past few years and I cant remember seeing it.

-JD

spacecadet

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:08 am

I disagree with the notion that US F/A uniforms are generally worse than the rest of the world. Maybe I don't get the whole picture, because I fly almost exclusively Continental. However at CO, they are certainly keeping up with the Joneses:

One of the problems I have with US "uniforms" is the mix and match nature of them, and that's even illustrated in your photo. The woman on the right's skirt is pleated, whereas the other woman's is not. (I originally had said something about the blazers too, but then I realized one of them's not wearing a blazer! That seems like odd design, though, that the shirts look like short-sleeve versions of the blazers.)

It's called a uniform, the whole point is that they are all the same. You never see this on Asian airlines (at least none that I've flown) - everybody wears the exact same uniform. That's the way it should be. At times on US carriers it gets so bad that you don't even know if somebody works for the airline or if they're just dressed nicely for the flight.

[Edited 2007-08-19 03:11:17]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

FLY2LIM

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 2):
Southwest Airlines finally got a little professional and added a blazer.

I haven't flown on SWA in a while but the last time I checked the flight crews wore polo shirts and shorts, and sneakers. How did they incorporate a blazer in that scheme?

I'd love to see the women wear hats. AA, CO are really old, they look to stiff. AS are ok. UA NW umm no! AM MX yum!

WHY? How many women do you see wearing hats these days? What intrinsic value do they add to the job duties of an airliner crew?

Quoting Khobar (Reply 7):
I'm sorry, but the photo you offered - what airline is that with the white shirt and dark suit with the folks looking very much like they are on their way to a funeral?

Talk about a thread killer. That was one of the worst looking supporting pictures for the topic at hand. In fact, I find this topic almost irrelevant. The 25 year olds will see fashion in a different way than those of us who are older and have different tastes. We can continue this discussion until we are blue in the face.

The DL uniforms are really..... inappropriate, IMO. I dont like the women's dress and there's a snowball's chance in hell that I would let my gf or wife wear THAT!

..that you would LET your gf or wife wear?

I wouldn't let her wear THAT crap.

what, she has to gain your permission on what to wear?

No. But if she elected to wear the sex appeal style clothing that shows some skin opposed to casual appropriate clothing, I wouldn't be dating her or married to her...whoever she would be.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 32):
Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 18):
By the way, I feel sorry for your girlfriend or wife.

For the record, I dont have either. So its not a problem at the moment.

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 18):
She really needs your permission on what to wear???

I never said 'she' needed my permission on what to wear. I said that I wouldn't allow her to wear that red DL dress or any sex type clothing. Its 'her' choice, but if she choses to wear clothes that really call to attention, I'd be out the door fast.

Airframe:
Your non-existent girlfriend or wife wouldn't "need" your permission, but you'd dump her if she wore something you didn't approve of. Hence, she would "need" your approval. It sounds like you would try to control everything about your non-existent girlfriend or wife, and that may be one reason why you don't have a girlfriend or wife. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but one thing you will learn quickly when and if you marry is that there is little you can actually "control" in a woman, as they are smart and self-sufficient beings. What's "fashion" to a woman is otherwise to a man, and that's what makes the world go around. I truly don't mean to ridicule you, but I also don't agree with the statements you made about your attitude towards women, so accept my apologies in advance for my harsh words.

Quoting Stylograph (Reply 43):
is it really such a mystery?

americans have no real sense of style or aesthetics. hire a car, drive across this land, and let me know if you disagree after viewing the average shop signage or even road system markings.

our neighborhoods and districts have no forethought of planning or stylistic uniformity.

in short, since WWII there has been very little discipline in style or presentation in commercial america.

here flight crew must cost the absolute least and provide the absolute most. a pleasing uniform is highly incompatible with that formula, unfortunately.

Stylo:
While your summary is rather simplistic and slightly stereotypical, I agree with what you are trying to say. The sense of "style" in the US is very different from that in other cultures.

When you are headed down the escape slide with your hair on fire, any F/A uniform is going to look good.

Personally, I think that they should wear SWAT team suits and Taser you if you stand up before the airplane has made a complete stop at the gate and the Captain has turned off the seatbelt sign.

LMAO. I fully agree. I'd rather have shorts and comfortable tee shirts on the people who are going to rescue me in an emergency instead of articles of clothing (like scarves) that could hamper their efforts. I like the SWAT comment.

Quoting Mats (Reply 55):
It's true; Ameircans aren't as interested in clothes as is the case in other cultures. It is particularly embarassing to see some of the Americna airline crews in foreign airports, particularly the Continental crews in culottes.

Mats:
Do you really feel "embarrassed" when you see an airliner crew whose fashion is not to your liking? Don't you have other things to worry about?

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 56):
AA management does not care how their employees look, they do have some "grooming policies" but those are seldom followed or enforced. The unprofessional and untidy appearance is a reflection of how low the employee morale is at AA. During the 90's AA was growing and most employees looked stunning, there were plenty of accesories to complement the uniforms. After mid-90's the quality of the uniforms went down-hill, management eliminated the uniform purse, the female FA hat, the scarfs, etc. Then they started introducing modified versions of the uniforms w/out even collecting the old pieces therefore ending up w/the "melange" and hodge-podge the employees currently wear. Management does not provide enough allowance points to order and entire full set especially for flight crews (FAs). No one follows up how employees come to work. When the last VP of Flight took her job, after 9/11, she alllowed the horrendous "clog-shoes". AA Management is focused on drastic cost-cutting and lining up their pockets w/bonuses, employee appearance is the last thing on their minds, bottom line...they do not care. Most US carriers do have a laid-back attitude regarding appearance it is also cultural. European and Asian carriers take more time to care about the FA's image...it is a brand they represent, not so in the USA, especially at AA. Grooming checks are not conducted fearing discrimination lawsuits...the pride is gone. Not sure why AA does not invest on revamping its brand/image by updating the uniforms. They cry being broke but still they reap the benefits from rank and file employees' paycuts. Many "old-school" FAs are irritated by Flight Service's current laid-back philosophy...the way the employees look is also a reflection of Management's lack of leadership. It is a shame, sad but true.

I have a friend in LIM who tells me that the uniform policy is strictly enforced at all times, even when traveling for pleasure. If she is a non-rev on AA, she must always travel with her full uniform and displaying her badge. Other than this, I have always felt that the AA crews (I fly primarily on AA) look very professional at all times. I don't care that one has one style of uniform and another has a variation of such. And I have always felt that they all look very professional. I guess that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Quoting Flykal (Reply 68):
...and to think that I get to work with this every day!

What I find most interesting about this picture is that hardly any of the people in the picture actually look Asian/Korean, and there are even black people in the picture. I just find it amusing since KE is a Korean airline.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 77):
Who said they needed my permission, I never said that. Please dont put words in my mouth that I did not say.

You did. See above.
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

AIR757200

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 am

AA uniforms are currently being reviewed, hopefully we will be hearing something soon at the next agent-management meeting ("AAB").

I've heard two things: The F/A's don't want to have the same uniform as agents. I don't believe this to be true. Second, they will be consulting with the Flight Service Department and the union regarding new uniform accessories and pieces.

I would like men to have a vest.

eric

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 am

They look very sharp, and definitely better than the bland, generic looking EasyJet uniforms, which were shown above as an example of avantgarde airline uniform design. I guess those would work for EasyCar rental agents too, and EasyBus drivers .... probably makes for better volume discount.

There is nothing sharp about the CO uniform: the female on the right has a jacket on that is at least two sizes too big. The jacket has pad's which is a very 80's look. The gold buttons fit on a blazer, and a blazer is to be put on a guy, not a woman (unless you are an 80's soccer mum going to meet the super in the back alley...).

As for the easyJet uniform the OP supplies us with. I do not even know where to begin. Is it the fact that the material looks so cheap, or the fact that the three-piece suit is horrible outdated or the fact that the material they use looks so incrediably cheap. If they want to be a no-frills, then that is fine; they should have kept their old uniform. If they want to raise the stakes they should have at least invested in a bit more than a 20's weaving. I know those photo's were meant for internal use but the fact that he buttons his bottom button is another thing, showing there is nothing fashionable about the uniform. OTOH, I do find it rather amusing that the woman has black bags under here eye's - her proffession is certainly showing its toll.

[Edited 2007-08-19 03:21:52]
n

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:21 am

The woman on the left on that pic, that uniform looks great!

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 88):
Are you referring to a In-Flight uniform or a Ground Staff uniform?

Both. CSR's and F/A's wore the same uniform.

Viscount724

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:28 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 90):
I'd love to see the women wear hats. AA, CO are really old, they look to stiff. AS are ok. UA NW umm no! AM MX yum!

WHY? How many women do you see wearing hats these days? What intrinsic value do they add to the job duties of an airliner crew?

The same is true for pilots (male or female). What value do their hats add to their job?

flykal

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 91):
What I find most interesting about this picture is that hardly any of the people in the picture actually look Asian/Korean, and there are even black people in the picture. I just find it amusing since KE is a Korean airline.

KE may well be a Korean airline but it's also an international airline and is trying to internationalize itself much more. While the picture is probably not a true indication of what all crew look like here, we do have hundreds of crew now who come from a variety of countries such as Russia, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Japan, Mongolia, Vietnam, USA, with of course the majority being Korean.

---

In any case, I think the fundamental is that Asian airlines have quite different hiring principles when it comes to cabin crew (I should know, I'm on the hiring panel for KE), and the reality is that Asian bone structure and body size is generally quite smaller and more petite than our American friends. Therefore airlines can afford to design uniforms that are perhaps more form fitting because in a sense, they are not trying to cover things up, but show things off. That generally leads itself to more tailored and risque designs.
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

david21487

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:00 am

I don't find those CO uniforms attractive at all. Do they still wear those half skirt/half shorts, or "skorts" or whatever they're called? Also, I don't think that the double-breasted blazer looks good at all, especially on the woman.

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 89):
The woman on the right's skirt is pleated, whereas the other woman's is not. (I originally had said something about the blazers too, but then I realized one of them's not wearing a blazer! That seems like odd design, though, that the shirts look like short-sleeve versions of the blazers.)

The woman on the left is not wearing a skirt, blazer, or a shirt, she's wearing a dress - a short-sleeved one.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

L1011Lover

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:05 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 81):
Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 35):
Okay, okay it´s not a US carrier...

That is why it looks so good... That is Lufthansa isnt it?

-JD

Correct! It´s a LH FRA based cabin crew in the aft galley of an Airbus A321 on a FRA-LCA-FRA all-nighter turnaround a few weeks ago.

Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 1600 File size: 996kb

The Aussie F/A above looks like a bell boy, in my opinion. The new Air Berlin uniforms seem quite nice, however, they are first and foremost a leisure airline, and polo shirts may work in that setting. F/A's with full-service airlines should still wear coats. It just looks more professional.

Except for the striped tie, I have no issues with the new US Airways uniforms. The coats are reminiscent of TWA, and that can't be a bad thing ...

Oh Thanx so much... !!! It was about time somebody came to my assistance... I totally agree! It´s simly not true that in general all US airlines uniforms look ugly and that the FA´s ALL don´t take any pride in their appearance. I´ve seen very posh, well-groomed and elegant FA´s of all ages (!!!) on various US airlines. I´ve seen the bad ones too, I admit! BUT I´ve seen as many bad examples with US airlines as with European or other carriers.

Airframe:
Your non-existent girlfriend or wife wouldn't "need" your permission, but you'd dump her if she wore something you didn't approve of. Hence, she would "need" your approval. It sounds like you would try to control everything about your non-existent girlfriend or wife, and that may be one reason why you don't have a girlfriend or wife. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but one thing you will learn quickly when and if you marry is that there is little you can actually "control" in a woman, as they are smart and self-sufficient beings. What's "fashion" to a woman is otherwise to a man, and that's what makes the world go around. I truly don't mean to ridicule you, but I also don't agree with the statements you made about your attitude towards women, so accept my apologies in advance for my harsh words.

Very well put... and exactly what I thought. Again, without trying to ridicule AirframeAS, but judging from his comments, that´s exactly the way it is. Still I wish him the best of luck with women... they´re not as easy to control and deal with as airplanes... sooner or later he´ll realize that.  Big grin !!! Women are STRONG!!! So are airplanes, but without making up their own mind...  Wink

Best regards

L1011Lover

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 97):
Airframe:

Very well put... and exactly what I thought. Again, without trying to ridicule AirframeAS, but judging from his comments, that´s exactly the way it is. Still I wish him the best of luck with women... they´re not as easy to control and deal with as airplanes... sooner or later he´ll realize that. !!! Women are STRONG!!! So are airplanes, but without making up their own mind...

Im not trying to 'control' women. I could care less what they want to do, just dont wear that crap around me. Thats the only issue I have. Thats all.

L1011Lover

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 98):
Im not trying to 'control' women. I could care less what they want to do, just dont wear that crap around me. Thats the only issue I have. Thats all.

Yeah, but I still don´t understand what is so crappy about the DL uniform and especially the red dress you´re referring to??? It´s not showing anything believe me... I´ve seen this red dress quite a few times now and it looks fine to me... and the majority of people, at least in the sense of appropriate or inappropriate (taste is another story, that´s something you can argue over)! But ist´s definitely not inappropriate...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos