Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ELTENELEVEN

RE: Why Are US Airline Cabin Crew Uniforms So Awful?

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 94):

how about wearing a turban with a big oval ruby in the center above the forehead like eartha kitt. Big grin

Quoting David21487 (Reply 96):

yes, they still wear the skort, as well as WN F/As....besides where is EWRCabinCrew when you need him, he has intelligent responses
You can never have enough hats, gloves, and 3 1/2 inch spiked heel stiletto pumps in various styles and colors

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 90):

bottom line, as long as they serve me plenty of liquor, i'm ok. by then, being crosseyed and drunk, it doesn't matter what they wear!  drunk 
You can never have enough hats, gloves, and 3 1/2 inch spiked heel stiletto pumps in various styles and colors

QantasAirways

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 85):
The Aussie F/A above looks like a bell boy, in my opinion. The new Air Berlin uniforms seem quite nice, however, they are first and foremost a leisure airline, and polo shirts may work in that setting. F/A's with full-service airlines should still wear coats. It just looks more professional.

Yeah I thought so too when I first saw it. But according to my friend, that's the Business Class serving jacket. On the ground they wear a regular uniform that matches the girls:

Spirit of Australia

AIR757200

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting Flykal (Reply 95):
Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 91):
What I find most interesting about this picture is that hardly any of the people in the picture actually look Asian/Korean, and there are even black people in the picture. I just find it amusing since KE is a Korean airline.

Just for the record: That was not my quote in Flykal's post.

PHX Flyer

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 102):
The Aussie F/A above looks like a bell boy, in my opinion.

Yeah I thought so too when I first saw it. But according to my friend, that's the Business Class serving jacket. On the ground they wear a regular uniform that matches the girls:

Isn't that kind of impractical? It looks like the guy would have to take his shirt off in order to button up the "Business Class serving jacket".
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 104):

he looks like he would be carrying my luggage up to my penthouse suite @ the Plaza overlooking Central Park

FLY2LIM

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 97):
Very well put... and exactly what I thought. Again, without trying to ridicule AirframeAS, but judging from his comments, that´s exactly the way it is. Still I wish him the best of luck with women... they´re not as easy to control and deal with as airplanes... sooner or later he´ll realize that. !!! Women are STRONG!!! So are airplanes, but without making up their own mind...

Yeah, and they don't even have an "override" feature, or a joystick to take proper command of the craft, ha ha ha.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 98):
Im not trying to 'control' women. I could care less what they want to do, just dont wear that crap around me. Thats the only issue I have. Thats all.

Duly noted.

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 101):
bottom line, as long as they serve me plenty of liquor, i'm ok. by then, being crosseyed and drunk, it doesn't matter what they wear!

LMAO

Quoting Flykal (Reply 95):
KE may well be a Korean airline but it's also an international airline and is trying to internationalize itself much more. While the picture is probably not a true indication of what all crew look like here, we do have hundreds of crew now who come from a variety of countries such as Russia, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Japan, Mongolia, Vietnam, USA, with of course the majority being Korean.

None of the nationalities you mention in your post are represented (accurately) in the picture. I was just commenting about how curious it was that Koreans (a majority of the staff at KE, by your own words) are not well represented in the picture.

Quoting AIR757200 (Reply 103):
Just for the record: That was not my quote in Flykal's post.

For the record, that was actually MY quote that was credited to someone else, lol.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

citationjet

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:01 pm

A couple of years ago at our hotel in NYC, I saw a cabin crew checking into the hotel after a transatlanic flight. They were impecably dressed, and looked great even after working a 10 hour day. Their uniforms were tailored and looked very sharp. They worked for Emirates. It has been decades since I had seen a flight crew looked that good.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 100):
besides where is EWRCabinCrew when you need him, he has intelligent responses

Boy, did I laugh and smile when I saw this. Thank you, ELTEN.

My spin is this, the uniform is something that is a crappy combo of fabrics (need to be comfortable, able to be worn for long stretches of time, able to be used for long stretches of time, easy to dry clean/clean somehow, etc.) and looks good on a diverse group of people (size, height, body type, etc.) and the general public's perceiving of it. Flight attendants come in all shapes and sizes (there has been enough threads on that here Big grin).

Will you have a 100% consensus? Not a million years. Or anything close.

Personally, I need a uniform to wear, as I am not a fashion plate and need all the help I can get (and as a gay man that is saying something). Plus, with my size (6' and 245 (that is a solid 245 not a fat 245, thank you very much for the peanut gallery Big grin)) it is hard to fit into traditional sizes. Everything I have needs to be tailored. For example. the airline fashion world seems to think that a 20" neck for a shirt means the shirt must have enough fabric for two people to wear. I have a big neck. Simple. I do not need a tent.

I am digressing here, sorry...

On track now, uniforms should be appealing to most, not all (since you cannot all). Airlines should also have better check on how their uniforms are worn. Ours included.

DL's look great. Ours are fine (they need updating). I find all airline's uniforms appealing in one way or another. The uniforms should not be trendy (hot pants and space suits (Braniff) come to mind), they should transcend all of that.

My  twocents 
You can't cure stupid

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Air France Uniform Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sn6twaPy69U&mode=related&search=

Alitalia Uniform in Promotional Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JueHC7Iouzg

Lufthansa Uniform in Inflight Entertainment Promotional Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0pyE4xwL5k&mode=related&search=

Compare the above to the US Based Airline Crews and Grooming Below

TWA Flight Attendant Uniforms in Union Propoganda

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCojPrK45Eo

US Airways Flight Attendant Uniforms and Grooming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a9A2DAZpCg

Unknown US Airline Flight Attendant with Foul Attitude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIydqQtKwKI&mode=related&search=

EUROPEAN - BRITISH AIRWAYS
Big version: Width: 630 Height: 490 File size: 57kb
British Airways Cabin Crew

-VS-

AMERICAN - ALASKA AIRLINES
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 375 File size: 102kb
Unprofessional and Ungroomed Alaska Airlines Employees

What a difference between the European and American crews - Mind Boggling!  eyepopping   eyepopping 

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 109):

the alaska airlines pic..... the person in the middle, is that Pat from the old saturday night live skits from the early 90's

FLY2LIM

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:30 pm

What a difference between the European and American crews - Mind Boggling!

Sure, one is a promotional picture that is professionally done, posed, and probably edited with all sorts of technology. The other is a picture taken with someone's personal camera. Pretty much the way this thread has been all along, unfair and biased.

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 111):

the alaska airlines pic..... the person in the middle, is that Pat from the old saturday night live skits from the early 90's

And HE/SHE is standing next to SRB, to Pat's right and our left.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 112):

laughing 

since they work for alaska airlines...they need to ease up on the Atkin's whale blubber diet

ELTENELEVEN

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 79):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 82):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 86):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 100):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 101):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 105):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 110):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 111):

Quoting ELTENELEVEN (Reply 113):

here's another of my moronic retarded coments...

...bring back the clear plastic spacehelmets from the Braniff Pucci era...

...i huff too much r-22 freon and r-410a puron

L1011Lover

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:05 pm

-JD

Excuse me???!!!

I have to agree with FLY2LIM... TOTALLY!!! It´s unfair and biased... all the videos and pictures of the European airlines were professionally done, advertising and everything...

Not so the US airlines stuff... Plus, what is really wrong? The TWA flight attndants and the agent in the IAM video look okay to me... he is old yeah, but his uniform is flawless and he seems to be a nice professional worker... no bad attitude at all... I bet it´s a pleasure to work with him and to be a customer on a flight he handles. He´s been with TWA for over 40 years, testimony to the good work he probably provided over the years. Also the CO flight attendants in the end of the video look very well groomed.

And flight attendant with foul attitude??? What was wrong with her attitude? She did not wanted to be filmed. What´s wrong with that. She never lost her temper. She just asked not to be filmed. And By the way, she´s a sweetheart. She´s very pretty and her uniform??? Nothing wrong with that!!! Not at all!

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:20 pm

The girl in the AS photo is pretty cute!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

L1011Lover

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 115):
The girl in the AS photo is pretty cute!

Yeah! And she is wearing a shirt, a slipover and a scarf around her neck!!!   
Sorry, I just couldn´t resist.

You know how I mean it... not trying to be an a**hole.

[Edited 2007-08-19 06:34:06]

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 116):

What are you trying to prove? LOL!  wave 

Mike89406

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 24):
I'm sorry, but DL's uniforms are a high-bar above any other out there in the US...

When I flew DL last month They were wearing the same uniforms as the lady front row 2nd from left white collared shirt under Blazer and front row again 4th from the right.

nzrich

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:33 pm

The problem with a lot of uniforms is not how goo or bad they are it's how they are worn and kept ..

At NZ we have a strict uniform guide in how we can wear the uniform when we can / cant what you can wear together etc etc ..

I have found quite a few companies do not enforce how the uniform is worn or cared for ..

In saying that some bad uniforms if worn and cared for can actually look smart .. Likewise great uniforms can look shabby if staff are allowed to do what ever they want with a uniform ..
"Pride of the pacific"

AOMlover

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:37 pm

Wow, the Alitalia corporate video must be the cheapest and most ridiculous corporate video I've see n in my whole life. Don't miss it.

FlyboyOz

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Qantas' bellboy uniform? I thought you mean the cabin crews (both men and women) changed to another uniform when the plane take off. Only in Business and First class. They wear a large serving jacket and It has a collar around their neck. Of course, they do look like bellboy uniform.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

FlyboyOz

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Most ANZ male cabin crew complained that the pant is too tight for them to wear it. Same as Qantas!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 114):
And flight attendant with foul attitude??? What was wrong with her attitude? She did not wanted to be filmed. What´s wrong with that. She never lost her temper. She just asked not to be filmed. And By the way, she´s a sweetheart. She´s very pretty and her uniform??? Nothing wrong with that!!! Not at all!

She could have been a bit more respectful to the passenger, she could have at least smiled when she remarked she did not want her photo to be taken. But I guess we should be happy she was offering free beverages and not charging for them!

The TWA flight attndants and the agent in the IAM video look okay to me... he is old yeah, but his uniform is flawless and he seems to be a nice professional worker...

They look okay???  eyepopping 

It´s unfair and biased... all the videos and pictures of the European airlines were professionally done, advertising and everything...

I thought we were talking about uniforms in this topic? That is why I posted the videos, as a comparisson to the US airlines. In any case opinion would appear to be in the eye of the beholder!  wink 

-JD

iairallie

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 111):
Sure, one is a promotional picture that is professionally done, posed, and probably edited with all sorts of technology. The other is a picture taken with someone's personal camera. Pretty much the way this thread has been all along, unfair and biased.

TOTALLY!!! It´s unfair and biased...

What the heck? You can't compare promotional materials out in the real world working. Blatant bias. Not to mention the COEX fa in the "foul attitude" video. Was very pretty and well groomed. Not a thing wrong with her attitude. Many airlines have security policies in place prohibiting the filming of operations and working crew. Not to mention it is incredibly rude and creepy to film someone without their permission. She ask him politely and was polite in asking him not to which she has every right.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

nzrich

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 122):
Most ANZ male cabin crew complained that the pant is too tight for them to wear it. Same as Qantas!

The problem with the Air NZ uniform was that we could not try on the new uniform prior to ordering it .. So we were all ordering the uniform based on the previous uniform unfortunately the sizings were completely different as well .. But yes some crew also found the fittings on the tight size which has now been fixed with a new pant style .. Unfortunately every new uniform is going to have problems , no new uniform is perfect straight away .. I know the QF ladies dress used to get a lot of static when it first came out ..
"Pride of the pacific"

FLYGUY767

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:13 pm

It´s unfair and biased... all the videos and pictures of the European airlines were professionally done, advertising and everything...

Okay... Here are the Flight Attendants at work!  wink 

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 356 File size: 138kb
Southwest Airlines

UNITED AIRLINES
Big version: Width: 375 Height: 500 File size: 85kb
United Airlines

DELTA AIR LINES
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 375 File size: 138kb
Delta Air Lines

AMERICAN AIRLINES
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 375 File size: 79kb
American Airlines

KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 333 File size: 153kb
KLM Crew Check-In

CLICKAIR
Big version: Width: 500 Height: 333 File size: 113kb
Clickair

-JD

L1011Lover

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 123):
She could have been a bit more respectful to the passenger, she could have at least smiled when she remarked she did not want her photo to be taken. But I guess we should be happy she was offering free beverages and not charging for them!

WHAT???

He could have been a little more respectful by not taping her in the first place! She asks him not to do so, and he says okay... AND then??? He has nothing better to do than posting this video on youtube!!! That is the real impertinence and impudence. This guy is so ignorant, that it is hard to believe! A typical moron who believes that he bought the entire plane including the flight crew with his ticket!!! Again, she didn´t lose her temper but he is definitely over the line. How would you like it if someone (a total stranger) just walks up to you and takes your picture, let´s say while you´re sitting on the plane, during boarding or (I don´t know if you do so) while you´re at work in the office??? Just so, without asking, and not by chance because he is actually filming some scenery... NO it´s YOU who´s being filmed, without permission and later you´d find it uploaded on youtube for the entire world to see! I´m sure you wouldn´t like that either. She was respectful enough, she just mumbled: "You´re not taping me are you?" giving him the first hint she doesn´t like it and the chance to put away his camera and then after realizing he actually does she mumbles: "Please don´t tape me!"

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 123):
They look okay???

Yes, absolutely. They look okay! Not great, but okay and that´s what counts. TWA´s uniforms were old at the time, the original Ralph Lauren design dating back to 1979, with a few minor changes over the years until 2001. Still, KLM´s current uniform (which is propably among the ugliest among any major European airlines) and BA´s old uniform worn before the current one look/looked a lot more dated. Also, you can´t compare a senior TWA agent or FA with a 19-25 year old youngster. Or are you trying to tell me that the girls in the Clickair pic are 43 years old with 20 years of experience in the airline business? It´s just a fact that US airlines have a lot more very senior FA´s than the European carriers. How would a 60 year old woman look in that Clickair uniform??? I can already hear peple scream it´s inappropriate. You should see a LH or BA senior momma in F/Class on the way to BKK or HKG and then compare to the US FA´s in most of these pictures and videos, that would be fair.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 124):
TOTALLY!!! It´s unfair and biased...

What the heck? You can't compare promotional materials out in the real world working. Blatant bias. Not to mention the COEX fa in the "foul attitude" video. Was very pretty and well groomed. Not a thing wrong with her attitude. Many airlines have security policies in place prohibiting the filming of operations and working crew. Not to mention it is incredibly rude and creepy to film someone without their permission. She ask him politely and was polite in asking him not to which she has every right.

That´s exactly what I was trying to say with: It´s unfair and biased. I agreed with FLY2LIM not to compare professionally done advertising and promotional with amateur pictures and videos.

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 126):

[quote=FLYGUY767,reply=126]Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 114):

Okay... Here are the Flight Attendants at work!

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

I admit, not the most professional uniform. I´m not a fan of it. But it comes along with their casual image in general. They´re a LCC and never tried or pretented to be something else. They want that casual image hence the casual uniform.

UNITED AIRLINES

That could be me sitting on 3R on one of our 747-400 flights. Okay he´s probably 50 and I´m only 30 but other than that there would be no difference. He´s wearing a shirt, a tie and a serving vest, just like me. I even put my elbow on the evacuation slide cover like he does. In fact I was working and sitting on position 3R when returning from LAX on friday...  Wink

DELTA AIR LINES

Probably commuters trying to catch a flight home after a LOOOOOOONG day of work. Nothing wrong with them. Their uniforms look immaculate. Is it that you blame them for sitting in wheelchairs? The gate area was probably very crowded and I hope you don´t expect them to stand??? This is 2007 not 1957 and at least their not sitting on the floor.

AMERICAN AIRLINES

Seems to be a very nice, pleasant and relaxed crew. I don´t see anything unprofessional and I personally like AA´s uniforms. Especially the current dress.

KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES

Nothing wrong with their appearance except the fact that I don´t like the KLM uniform. It looks ugly and dated. Almost a similar style of uniform was worn by Pan Am in the 70´s. I love blue, even the KLM shade of blue but not on all the basic parts of a uniform. Not nowadays! They´re smoking, sitting on the steps and on their suitcases waiting to be picked up. They look realxed and casual and there´s nothing wrong with that. Nothing better or worse than the DL girls waiting for their flight home.

CLICKAIR

They´re both very, very pretty. Very elegant and well groomd. The uniform reminds me of LH´s mid 1960´s style. The South American division FA´s wore almost the exact color and style of uniform. Of course it came with a hat pillbox style. It was a so called tropical uniform only worn on flights to South America. All other FA´s wore a different uniform, the blouse had the same color and the style was exactly the same, but skirt and jacket were navy colored. Very classy, very elegant. But honestly nothing to be worn by a 50 or 60 year old FA. They had their time and did so 40 years ago...  Big grin

Best regards

L1011Lover

fly2yyz

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 106):

None of the nationalities you mention in your post are represented (accurately) in the picture. I was just commenting about how curious it was that Koreans (a majority of the staff at KE, by your own words) are not well represented in the picture.

Koreans are not very well represented in the picture?! Its just an advertisements featuring some actual flight attendants and models. Also I think this advertisement was made to draw in Korean as more of an international airline rather than just catering to Korea. But If in this was the case for everything the DL uniforms would look not as fitting as shown in the adverts which do show models.

airnewzealand

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 121):
Qantas' bellboy uniform? I thought you mean the cabin crews (both men and women) changed to another uniform when the plane take off. Only in Business and First class. They wear a large serving jacket and It has a collar around their neck. Of course, they do look like bellboy uniform.

Correct...it is a serving jacket worn in Business and First class...They are VERY comfortable. Up until March, they were worn in ALL cabins (With economy crew having the option of wearing a vest also), but economy crew has now gone to aprons (donot look good).

Qantas are very strict on uniform standards (this month is grooming month, where we get checked at breifing and people come and talk to us about hair styles, makeup, shoes etc...) and make it clear how the uniform is to be worn.

Many people actually comment on how nice the serving jackets are... And in regards to your comment about "bell boy" look...we are their also to be of assitance and deliver service!

Cheers

B767300ER

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:13 am

I for one like our new DL uniforms for the following reasons-
a. practical
b. look good
c. comfortable
d. easy to maintain
I partcularly enjoy being able to remove the jacket and have a practical serving apron.
The only thing that may be missing on the guys uniform is the lack of pipeing either on the jacket pocket or sleaves.
I think that the last TWA unform which retained the shirt epulet added a bit of class when your jacket was removed.
Airlines that maintain a standard uniform rather than a multiple choice of uniforms appear more professional to passengers. Always found the UAL multiple color and style confused passengers as to who were F/A's or just fellow pax.

FLYGUY767

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 128):
Nothing wrong with their appearance except the fact that I don´t like the KLM uniform.

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 128):
They´re both very, very pretty. Very elegant and well groomd.

I like both the KLM and ClickAir crews, that is why I posted the images..

-JD

ThomasCook

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:28 am

Hey,

Here is the best of British:

British Airways

Virgin

MyTravel

Thomas Cook

First Choice

Monarch

All very colourful!

ThomasCook

[Edited 2007-08-19 20:35:39]

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting ThomasCook (Reply 132):
British Airways

I just hate those Thunderbirds hats  yuck 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

sfotraveler

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:22 am

I flew British Airways Club World not long ago and was surprised at the look of the flight attendants..they were friendly and helpful but you almost could not tell they were wearing unifomrs - mostly male crew but they were just wearing unbuttoned white short sleeve shirts with no tie. Generally have found american flight crews to have a more professional appearance on carriers I have flown such as Delta and United.

ELTENELEVEN

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 133):

it's missing a net veil Big grin

EWRCabincrew

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:04 am

This thread even shows you can't please everyone.

It really is hard to design a uniform that will look good on all who will be wearing it (key word being: all). Every airline's uniform looks good when they are on a thin, slim "model" type person. Sadly, those people are few and far between. It is when the average person gets into it (then applies their twist on how it "should" be worn) and goes about their business day, does it look different and comments abound. Not all of us are 'Singapore Girls' or supermodels. Big grin

Uniform standards are just that. Standards. All airlines have them and all airlines have those who don't follow them. That is when any uniform becomes sloppy. Even the best ones here (DL, BA, etc.) look shoddy when not worn right or worn out of how they were intended.

Good hygiene and good self-esteem help in making any uniform look good (that and a good design).
You can't cure stupid

LINATE

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 136):
Good hygiene and good self-esteem help in making any uniform look good (that and a good design).

GOOD DESIGN .. You hit it right there.... Can you call the NEW US airways uniform a GOOD DESIGN???? OMG! That has ZERO style, ZERO design. I do not care who created it.

The Europeans have more of a flair for fashion, and take it more seriously too. i believe it has to do with the culture. T

FLYGUY767

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting LINATE (Reply 137):
Can you call the NEW US airways uniform a GOOD DESIGN????

It is a nightmare from the word go ... It doesnt what size it is fitted to..

-JD

AirframeAS

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:05 am

GOOD DESIGN .. You hit it right there.... Can you call the NEW US airways uniform a GOOD DESIGN???? OMG! That has ZERO style, ZERO design. I do not care who created it.

I have to back up EWRCabinCrew on this one. I don't think he meant US Airway's uniforms only, I believe he meant everybody's uniform in general and how you wear it. If I know EWRCabinCrew well enough, which I think I do. At the same time, EWRCabinCrew is right.

As far as the design of a uniform, that is a total different ball game. That isnt the uniform wearer's fault. The only thing that would be the uniform wearer's fault is how he/she wears it.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 140):
If I know EWRCabinCrew well enough, which I think I do

You do.

That isnt the uniform wearer's fault.

It's not.

The only thing that would be the uniform wearer's fault is how he/she wears it.

checkmark 

As for

Europeans have more of a flair for fashion

Not all. This is a generalisation.

Europeans may have more a flair for what is popular at the time. The word is: trendy.

Quoting LINATE,reply137:
take it more seriously too

Definitely, some, not all, do. Agreed there.

As for US's new uniform, it does have some sense of style. With airline uniforms, you must take into consideration, again, the average wearer is not a rail, a nail or Kate Moss-toothpick-bone thin. It needs to look good on a wide range of people. I, personally, do not need to wear what is popular, trendy or is the latest style from Milan. I need to wear something that is decent, wears well in a multitude of climates under a myriad of conditions. You can have the best designer, heaven knows (get the music segue?), stylish, immaculate on paper, but the minute someone who doesn't gives a shit how they wear it, has it on...all that is for naught. Thankfully no uniform is straight from a fashion show runway, right off the rack.
You can't cure stupid

LINATE

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 141):
As for US's new uniform, it does have some sense of style. With airline uniforms, you must take into consideration, again, the average wearer is not a rail, a nail or Kate Moss-toothpick-bone thin. It needs to look good on a wide range of people. I, personally, do not need to wear what is popular, trendy or is the latest style from Milan. I need to wear something that is decent, wears well in a multitude of climates under a myriad of conditions. You can have the best designer, heaven knows (get the music segue?), stylish, immaculate on paper, but the minute someone who doesn't gives a shit how they wear it, has it on...all that is for naught. Thankfully no uniform is straight from a fashion show runway, right off the rack.

Totally agree with you... However, a good designer will take all those conditions into consideration when creating an uniform. And it is not impossible to come up with such concept. There are so many examples of good design around. Air France's uniforms are beautiful and practical, and in my opinion Delta's new uniform fit that category also. On the other hand, KE uniforms are beautiful but I heard they are not practical at all.... ( very light color that shows dirt a lot).

ikramerica

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:55 pm

I think part of the issue is the USA is not a uniform based culture as much as other nations, in general. It used to be more than it is now. Go to Japan, and there is a snappy uniform for every job it seems. But in the USA, mostly military and police/fire wear uniforms, and so we equate the dark, conservative look to authority. Most other jobs with uniforms (more stylish, often) are service jobs, so since F/As and pilots have a position of authority, if they were to wear something trendy and colorful, we, as americans, would be less likely to respect them. (it's a reason the TSA is changing their uniforms to something darker with badges...)

I know just flying on WN or HA that I saw the crew in a different way because they were wearing casual/colorful outfits. I did not see them with the same respect I grant to F/As at CO and AA. It's totally subconscious, but I can't do anything about that. WN dress reminds me of walking into a Circuit City, and HA reminds me of the bar staff at the hotel I am going to stay at.

But I also find it interesting that this is just one more thing non-Americans look at about America and dismiss. It's a common misconception that we Americans don't have a culture or strong traditions, so it's hard to understand these traditions (since they don't exist in the minds of some). But this plain, dark uniform is one of our traditions and has cultural meaning, and corresponds to the CHANGE in attitude about air travel during the 80s. As deregulation opened air travel to everyone, it opened it to people who do not appreciate high fashion, but who DO respect authority. Further, as F/As were given more important duties as protectors and "agents" of the federal government (listen to them or you are breaking federal law), they needed uniforms to match that status. Air crews graduated from "service" jobs to authority jobs, and the uniforms progressed with them.

To go backward into something "sharp" and "trendy" would mean a decrease in status in our society, something I don't hear ANY f/as on this website demanding. Nobody wants to be called flying waitresses, so why would they want a uniform that would reinforce that perception?

The Aussie F/A above looks like a bell boy, in my opinion.

When on my QF flight in F, the jacket was confusing at first. I didn't know where this guy had come from, until I realized it was the same F/A as before, just in a chinese waiter jacket.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 108):
I have a big neck. Simple. I do not need a tent.

It's not just cabin crew uniforms. In general, buy an 18" collar shirt, you get enough shirt to smuggle two small children onto the flight. Oh well, the world is not made for people with thick necks...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LINATE

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 142):
As deregulation opened air travel to everyone, it opened it to people who do not appreciate high fashion, but who DO respect authority. Further, as F/As were given more important duties as protectors and "agents" of the federal government (listen to them or you are breaking federal law), they needed uniforms to match that status. Air crews graduated from "service" jobs to authority jobs, and the uniforms progressed with them.

To go backward into something "sharp" and "trendy" would mean a decrease in status in our society, something I don't hear ANY f/as on this website demanding. Nobody wants to be called flying waitresses, so why would they want a uniform that would reinforce that perception?

I see where you are coming from but do not quite agree with it. I do know several airlines that have colorful uniforms and are respected just the same. Respect has a lot to do with how the person behaves. If an FA is wearing a dark uniform but is chewing gum and talking slang, and is wearing a dirty shirt or cloggs as shoes, then they will lose people's respect, no matter the color of the uniform.

RE being protectors and government "agents" and needing uniforms to match that status.... WOW, that is SCARY!!!! I have seen a lot of that SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS lately with the american airlines, and I do not think it is having much of a positive result. Threatening passengers and asserting a "bogus" status as a protector is not going to help the US airlines much.

I also disagree that Sharp and TRENDY would mean a decrease in status. That sound more like LOW SELF ESTEEM, like the people that buy a BIG truck just to be respected on the freeway... Something does not seem right in that picture.

Your statements scared me. I know that they might not reflect how you feel, but jsut to hear that that philosophy is out there is scary.

FLYGUY767

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting EWRCabinCrew (Reply 140):
Europeans may have more a flair for what is popular at the time. The word is: trendy

That is a generalization that is nothing more than opinion based..

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the majority of designer clothes sold in the United States finer retailers are sought after by people aware of style in most cases that ends up being European in origin. One would be hard pressed not to know the name Giorgio Armani, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Max Mara, Louis Vuitton, or Diesel. I would also draw your attention to the fact that US airlines for years have used European designers for their uniforms: Pucci, Nina Ricci, and a number of others..

Here is an interesting article that furthers what I have written above:

http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/showarticle.php?id=22&s=1&pg=1

Here is another interesting article on the state of Flight Attendants size in the United States:

SOURCE: http://www.elliott.org/vault/oped/2002/fa.htm

"Are airline flight attendants too fat? Possibly. Passengers, crew members and several studies suggest that these airline employees have been packing on the pounds lately.

Not that it's any of our business. How much someone else weighs is a private matter - unless their mass affects the safety of our next trip. And then it does, indeed, become an issue.

We already know that flight attendants are prone to eating disorders. A study conduced by Chicago clinical psychologist Lyn Dettmar suggested nearly half of all flight attendants struggle with their weight, leading to compulsive exercising, fasting and higher incidences of bulimia.

If attendants mirror the U.S. population, then they're probably bulking up. A recent series of studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association revealed that almost a third of all Americans are obese - twice as many as two decades ago"

I dont think any of the above is false. When I became a Flight Attendant with American Airlines in 1987 we had an image to portray, I maintained my image until I left American Airlines in late 2000. We put on our uniform, those of us that were really dedicated, and a lot of them that I flew with at American Airlines still are, sent our uniform out to be dry cleaned or pressed on layovers. We had an image, that image was what passengers saw when they sat in the airport terminal. When they saw or crews arrive they turned and they looked. We were taken as professionals, because we looked like professionals. Our duty as a Flight Attendant started before we even arrived at the airport. We had a duty to be groomed, to have a uniform that was not busting at the seams, to have a uniform that was pressed and neat, to have shoes that were polished and without scrape markets, most of all we didn't have to be looked over or told to do any of that. We as mature adults had images instilled into us by our parents as children that whenever we left or house we looked and acted our very best.

Today we have so many excuses flying around. There are more than enough in this topic alone. Some say that there necks are to big to fit, others complain that it cost to much to have the uniform cleaned, and then other say that grooming isnt important when evacuating a plane. As a Professional Flight Attendant your image is a direct representation of who you are and how the passengers view you. If you look like a mess when you work a flight you are not going to be respected. In the United States it is sad to see the recent deluge of weight gaining Flight Attendants take over the skies. I cant remember the last time I walked through a US airport or saw a US crew that exuded the image of professionalism or authority. To many on this forum it would seem as if they excuse the lack of grooming and weight control of US crews as their right. True it is their right as the US would allow them to do such things. But to say things such as the Europeans dont care about fashion and their uniforms are non practical and senseless statements. Adding to that there has been a trend on Airliners.net to vilify anyone that says or shows evidence against the US view of things.

There was a time when US Flight Attendants were professional, well groomed, and looked up to. Sadly that time would seem to have passed, and when it is found it is very far and few in between.

Quoting EWRCabinCrew (Reply 140):

EWRCabinCrew, you are entitled to your opinion, and that is your opinion. I fully respect you for that. However, take into consideration these threads have been discussed over and over again because things are not getting better for the US airlines in reference to crews and their appearance. In reference from a fashion show runway I would refer you to view the Air France Flight Attendant uniform. I hear arguments all of that time that uniforms dont look good on all Flight Attendants. That is true in certain cultures and for certain airlines, however a majority of the Worlds airlines care about their image and the image that their Flight Attendants offer when they arrive in foreign countries. When people see a Korean Air crew they are more than likely impressed by the uniformity, when people see the Air France crew they are more than likely impressed by the style, when people see a Etihad Airways crew they are more than likely impressed by the elegance.

What do people see when they view the US based airlines Flight Attendant crews? They see all sizes, some trying to be years younger than they are, some trying to evade airline management by hiding behind the Unions. I would be very hard pressed to find anyone that found any of the US based airline unifoms to be "authoritative" in image. Nothing is going to change when it comes to the US based cabin crews until someone does something about it. The US by nature is a casual culture, of course things such as the ACLU force airlines to maintain Flight Attendants even when they are too obese to fit alongside another Flight Attendant on a jumpseat. Say what one will, but when it comes to an emergency situation and you have a Flight Attendant that is obese and unable to run up the aisle of the plane without bumping passengers elbows and breaking a sweat their is a problem.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 142):
When on my QF flight in F, the jacket was confusing at first. I didn't know where this guy had come from, until I realized it was the same F/A as before, just in a chinese waiter jacket.

The correct term is "Mandarin Collar", and it is more popular than most would think.. Northwest Airlines uses it on its female Flight Attendant uniform blouse, Air Tahiti Nui uses it on its male and female blazers, QANTAS uses it with their serving jackets. In reference to "waiter" jackets, they are most commonly referred to in the airline industry as a serving jacket. This is much more common with the European, and Asian/Pacific airlines than US airlines who tend to use a simple apron compared to the more formal serving jacket.

-JD

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 144):

I think this thread should be locked by now. Surprised it hasn't been yet.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting LINATE (Reply 143):
Your statements scared me. I know that they might not reflect how you feel, but jsut to hear that that philosophy is out there is scary.

Wow. That is bizarre.

My statements are just based on reality. In the USA, people in dark, formal uniforms are granted more respect than people in bright/casual dress. That isn't scary, it's culture. If you are scared by differing cultures, not sure what to say.

It sounds like you have a problem with authority. I don't know why, but yours is the response of people with irrational fears of anyone with authority. The idea that someone would choose a uniform that projects authority or respect scares you, as you wrote. I don't understand this.

But again, people like to think the USA has no culture, except we do. This is one of our cultural quirks. Like most other cultures, we grant status based on attire, and this is the particular way we do it. Our presidents wear suits, not robes. Their security wear black or dark grey. The dress uniform (most formal, most respected) for officers in just about any field is navy, black or some other dark color, with brass buttons. Same goes for airline captains, and the crew wants to be treated with respect too, so this is the choice that was made by most airlines.

Americans feel most comfortable if they are in a situation where they have no control (air travel) when they see people in charge. Projecting the image of authority is settling in our culture it times of "distress" and frustrating to us when we are "in our own space." It seems counterintuitive, but the more stress people are under, the more relaxed they become when they see an authority figure as long as that authority figure isn't causing the stress in the first place.

I personally think cabin crew should be afforded respect for ALL they do (not just safety, and not just being a "waiter" but the whole thing). If you dress like a waiter (see QF) you lose the "authority" part of your job. I thought the guy in the "mandarin collar" on my QF flight was not a normal cabin crew member because of his change in attire!

I think a consistent uniform that errs on the side of formality is culturally American, and there are other cultures that react the same way. After all, the preponderance of such uniforms among USA carriers is an affirmation of this reality, because even when they bring in "high fashion" designers, this is generally the result...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

FLYGUY767

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 146):
If you dress like a waiter (see QF) you lose the "authority" part of your job. I thought the guy in the "mandarin collar" on my QF flight was not a normal cabin crew member because of his change in attire!

Again, this is an opinion and not a fact. Serving jackets are popular on a number of international airlines. Just because it is not common in the Unites States, just because the airlines in the United States dont for the most part have such a uniform piece, does not mean it is any less important of a piece of the uniform component. I would draw your attention to the fact that a number of airlines use this attire during proper meal service including QF, MH, and AZ to name a few. The Serving Jacket to many is considered more professional than to have a mans arm hair reaching over someones head while serving food.

But again, people like to think the USA has no culture, except we do. This is one of our cultural quirks. Like most other cultures, we grant status based on attire, and this is the particular way we do it. Our presidents wear suits, not robes. Their security wear black or dark grey. The dress uniform (most formal, most respected) for officers in just about any field is navy, black or some other dark color, with brass buttons.

In reference to culture in America, it is a matter of opinion. I would disagree with you, but that is my opinion. You have yours and I respect as I am sure you have your own angle or your own ideas as to what culture is. Mine I am sure are much different than yours. If we could only have a leader in the United States that could learn to tie a tie, and to speak English I think the above statement would be true..

My statements are just based on reality. In the USA, people in dark, formal uniforms are granted more respect than people in bright/casual dress. That isn't scary, it's culture. If you are scared by differing cultures, not sure what to say.

It sounds like you have a problem with authority. I don't know why, but yours is the response of people with irrational fears of anyone with authority. The idea that someone would choose a uniform that projects authority or respect scares you, as you wrote. I don't understand this.

The above statement does not speak for all Americans. No matter what colour they were its depends on the individual who views them whether they are of authority, or should be taken as a professional. I would think it would be extremely hard to prove that people in dark uniforms are granted more respect. Again, I believe the above is opinion and not by any means fact based.

The way that you have responded to LINATE is most dreadful. He is allowed to say what he wants as long s it is not rude. Just because he has a view different from yours does not make him "irrational". Nor does it make his opinion seem to have a "problem with authority".

I think a consistent uniform that errs on the side of formality is culturally American, and there are other cultures that react the same way.

So this is why in the US there are so many variations to a Flight Attendants uniform?

Is this the same country above that has dark uniforms in place for authoritative reasons?

-JD

1stfl94

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:41 am

The problem with most US uniforms has been lack of investment. Most airlines have been flying with the same outfits for nearly 20 years now. It makes them look a lot less competitive then their foreign comptitors and in all too many cases the uniforms suffer from extremely poor design which just excerbates the situation.

The uniform is part of the airline's image and management and uniform wearers need to be aware of this.

FURUREFA

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 144):
referred to in the airline industry as a serving jacket. This is much more common with the European, and Asian/Pacific airlines than US airlines who tend to use a simple apron compared to the more formal serving jacket.

AA has a grey serving jacket which is SUPPOSED to be worn while doing the services in the IFS F and J cabins, but it is rarely worn.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos