jasp25
Topic Author

Taking Pictures In-flight: How Common?

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:37 pm

I am so curious about this: is taking pictures in-flight common? I always wanted to take pictures in-flight but because of the present security paranoia of the flying public, I kinda doubt about doing it. I remember one time at an airport while waiting for boarding, I took out my camera and photographed a FedEx aircraft taxieng, and I noticed one of the passengers in our flight (I assumed he's a flight marshall), after he saw me taking pictures, he kept an eye on me until we all boarded. So that makes me ask, is taking pictures while in-flight a common practice?  camera 

-Jasp
-peace and chicken grease!

KFLLCFII

RE: Taking Pictures In-flight: How Common?

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:07 pm

I do it on every flight...Never been questioned once...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

ytib

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:34 pm

You may want to check out a book by Julieanne Kost at your local library or book seller. While it includes pictures from flights she has taken in the past 5 years, it is more so a Photoshop/Creative Thinking book which is why I don't suggest buying it straight up unless you are interested in those items. The exact title is Window Seat: The Art of Digital Photography and Creative Thinking.
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

ikramerica

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:01 pm

I worried right after 9/11, but now I take pictures in the airport and on flights all the time and just don't worry about it. Nobody has ever questioned me, and I don't even look around to see who's looking at me, so if anybody is staring at me, I wouldn't know it.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jasp25
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:27 pm

I will look for that book Ytib, thank you guys.
I guess I will have my digicam ready on my next flight in 2 weeks then!

-Jasp

aaflt1871

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Thread starter):
I always wanted to take pictures in-flight but because of the present security paranoia of the flying public, I kinda doubt about doing it.

I take pictures on every flight, and I record the take off and landings on video. Never once have I had a problem with someone saying anything.

Welcome to A.Net

AAFLT1871

Rob
Where did everybody go?

jasp25
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome, AAFLT1871!

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 5):
and I record the take off and landings on video.

Isn't the operation of any electronic device prohibited within 10 minutes after take-off and before landing?

Did I misinterpret that rule?

-Jasp

HT

Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 6):
Isn't the operation of any electronic device prohibited within 10 minutes after take-off and before landing?

Did I misinterpret that rule?

That rule apparently is not followed when it comes to digi cams.
Never has been an issue to use it during any part of the flight.
Just think of all the shots taken from the cockpit while the a/c is on short finals. If you expect some interference of the a/c system caused by the digi cam's electrnoic processing, the effect should be highest when being located in the cockpit ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

jasond

Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 7):

I do recall recently on a QF domestic flight that digital cameras were mentioned in a list of things not to use in the first 20 minutes of takeoff or landing. Unless I completely misheard the FA during the pre-flight breifing I am pretty damn sure it was mentioned. Maybe someone from QF can confirm / deny from a policy perspective here. Either way I tend to keep the camera stowed during this period anyway. Saying that I have taken pictures during take-off and landing in the past, I have never been challenged (although who is to challenge you if the FA's are all tucked up for takeoff / landing anyway) and it would appear that the risks to onboard systems seem to be very very low. I would be interested in hearing what the official airline policy is though.

Maverick623

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 7):
Just think of all the shots taken from the cockpit while the a/c is on short finals. If you expect some interference of the a/c system caused by the digi cam's electrnoic processing, the effect should be highest when being located in the cockpit ...
-HT

The rule is not necessarily to prevent electronic interference (as none is caused), but if something happens that camera you hold is now a flying projectile. Ouch.

If a flight attendant will be positioned with a clear view of me, I will ask if I can film the takeoff and/or landing, and I haven't had one turn me down yet. If not... no worries, right?  Big grin
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

L1011Lover

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:17 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 7):
-HT

That´s not the reason why ALL elecronic devices should be turned off. Cell phones and stuff should be turned off due to possible interfernece with aircraft communication and navigatonal systems of course, but other devices such as ipods, discman, electronic headsets, video cameras etc. should be turned off for other -very simple- reasons: A passenger listening to music on his ipod or wearing a noise cancelling headset during take-off and landing, the most critical phase of a flight is more likely to miss important announcements or oral instructions by the crew in case something goes wrong.
Video cameras and digital cameras should be turned off and stowed so they won´t turn into projectiles flying through the cabin in case of an aborted take-off or any mishap during landing.

Taking pictures on the flightdeck while riding the jumpseat, that´s a totally different story...  Wink  Big grin

Well, I really don´t mind passengers taking pictures or filming during taxi, tak-off and landing... I mean after all I´m an aviation enthusiast as well... so I just let them do so...

digital cameras don´t bother me at all, and if someone is using a video camera I just make them aware one more time that they´re actually supposed to turn them off and then I want them to make sure to stay down with it behind the backrest of the seat in front of them. And if I see someone "hiding" it very low, I don´t say anything at all. Anything can be taken a little too serious... right??? I mean, how boring would this site be if nobody was allowed taking pictures. So simply see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil... lol

On the other hand I strictly enforce the ipod, discman and headset policy which I think is a lot more impotant.

Jasp25, take as many pictures in flight as you like... it shouldn´t be much of an issue. Not as long as you don´t start taking pictures of the crew without their permission or you try to make your way into the cockpit for a better view... lol...

Seriously, don´t be worried too much about it. People are taking pictures all the time...

Welcome to a.net  wave 

Best regards

L1011Lover

CV990

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi!

I've been logging most of my flights with pictures in any airline I've been using and never was told to stop it. Now another thing is when you are in the airport and in countries that might be sensitive to that. I was once in Paraguay and Colombia and in the airport that's not a problem, but outside I remember once when I was travelling from BOG to CLO I was in the waiting area and I first asked a lady if I could take a picture, she said no and I followed that, when I was traveling in the bus from International Terminal to "Puente Aerea" terminal I asked the bus driver if I could take pictures, and he said this - "Yes, you can take but if you see a blue pick-up then stop ok?" - I took some pictures and I never saw that "blue pick-up". In Congo?......Never.....don't even try it even sneaking a shot!!!! Only from your airplane!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

jasp25
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Thanks, L1011Lover! I'll take that as a blessing! LOL

-Jasp

Elite

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 10):
Not as long as you don´t start taking pictures of the crew without their permission or you try to make your way into the cockpit for a better view... lol...

Lol, those who are crazy bout taking photos might sometimes forget.

Also, I think it happens quite often, every once in a while I'll see the occasional camera light flash.

OA260

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:26 pm

Thats good to know because I want to take lots of photos on my up comming US domestics and do a TR. It will be my first time that I have taken such photos on US flights and I was wondering what the rules were. Glad to hear its not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess just be discreet is the best advice. I want to take some terminal and lounge photos also but wont be taking anything near security or police areas etc...

Sketty222

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:12 pm

I take pics and videos all the time when Im flying. I have only ever been asked once to stop filming during a landing

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

EDICHC

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:26 pm

Well, I really don´t mind passengers taking pictures or filming during taxi, tak-off and landing... I mean after all I´m an aviation enthusiast as well... so I just let them do so...

digital cameras don´t bother me at all, and if someone is using a video camera I just make them aware one more time that they´re actually supposed to turn them off and then I want them to make sure to stay down with it behind the backrest of the seat in front of them. And if I see someone "hiding" it very low, I don´t say anything at all. Anything can be taken a little too serious... right??? I mean, how boring would this site be if nobody was allowed taking pictures. So simply see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil... lol

thumbsup 

A refreshingly healthy dose of common-sense there.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

RebelDJ

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:29 pm

You might want to check out this Trip Report.
Horrible Experience On Tarom Domestic Flights (by Nickbbu Aug 2 2007 in Trip Reports)

It seems that ANY action can be misinterpreted by ANYone ANYtime

levent

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:55 pm

With all my flights I have been asked only twice not to take pictures. The first time was at U-Taphao Airport, which is a military base, when the flight attendant asked me during taxi to the runway not to take any pictures. I don't see how that could pose a problem, but anyway...
The second time was on EVA Air, when the f/a asked me not to take any pictures during approach into LAX. I explained her that it was not a digital camera, but she still insisted.

But I usually take many pictures during the flight, especially wing shots and cloudscapes.

SNATH

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 6):

The rule that they usually mention is that anything with an on-off switch has to be turned off.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 9):
but if something happens that camera you hold is now a flying projectile. Ouch.

So, are you going to also ban people holding large hardcover books too (which are probably heavier than most small digital cameras)?

Quoting Levent (Reply 18):
With all my flights I have been asked only twice not to take pictures.

I've also been told to stop taking pictures twice, both on AA and both after we started descending. During the rest of the flight, no F/A has ever bothered me.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

bond007

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:12 pm

On the other hand I strictly enforce the ipod, discman and headset policy which I think is a lot more impotant.

Well, I'm glad you're making the decisions on what can cause interference and what cannot ... and what's more important  Yeah sure

A truly unbelievable comment by a F/A who should be enforcing rules!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

msnyx

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting SNATH (Reply 19):
I've also been told to stop taking pictures twice, both on AA

Same here, I was flying from ZRH-JFK and the F/A came up and said, "You can't take pictures in-flight. I'm pretty sure it's illegal." And this was in the middle of the flight. Needless to say I put away my camera because I didn't want any trouble. The clouds outside that day were amazing and I missed a lot of great shots. My seat mate, who apparently had a grudge against AA, kept egging me on and telling me to take pictures anyway and that they can't stop me.

So anyway, I was wondering, is it actually illegal to take pictures in the middle of the flight? I wasn't taking cabin shots, just out of the window. I know it is illegal to not listen to crew member instructions, but that f/a implied there was some law against it, which, to the best of my knowledge, is not true. What could I respond with in future situations?
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me

SNATH

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting MSNYX (Reply 21):
"You can't take pictures in-flight. I'm pretty sure it's illegal."

It's illegal to take pictures of clouds?!?!?! That's ridiculous!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting MSNYX (Reply 21):
So anyway, I was wondering, is it actually illegal to take pictures in the middle of the flight?

Short answer: No. That's a made up law. I've taken photos on AA, never had an issue.

Long answer: If the F/A says to put it away, and you don't, then yes, since you are obligated to comply with flight crew member instructions.

platinumfoota

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:31 am

I take pictures In-Flight all the time, never had a problem with a F/A, they've seen me take pictures and did not say a single thing just smiled at me and a couple of times i took pictures of the crew. Never had a problem.
Never forget United 93

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 23):
Long answer: If the F/A says to put it away, and you don't, then yes, since you are obligated to comply with flight crew member instructions.

Only if the instruction relates directly to flight or passenger safety. You don't have to obey every instruction - what happens if she instructs you to stick peanuts up your nose ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ikramerica

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):
Only if the instruction relates directly to flight or passenger safety. You don't have to obey every instruction - what happens if she instructs you to stick peanuts up your nose ?

I've yet to have anyone ask me to do that. It's probably due to liability based on possible peanut allergies...  Wink

And no, it is not specifically for safety instructions only. Otherwise the pax would just say "it wasn't safety related" and the f/a would say "it was."

brilondon

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:29 am

In the US I have never been bothered since 9/11 but when I was in China especially Beijing you are scrutinized and putting your camera away is encouraged  camera . You just have to judge for yourself and act accordingly. Remember it is not a personal thing. In the US there was a case that went to court in Chicago that the security at a railway station confiscated a camera of a rail fan and was ordered to return it because the pictures were taken from a public area and was told that one still has the freedom (a word that is not used much these days) in a public area. I don't know if this applies to airports, but I have never figured out how taking a photograph constitutes a security threat.  bigthumbsup 
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

nycaviator

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:35 am

I find it lots of fun to take pictures to record memories of my journies.
I've never been asked to stop anywhere, whether it is on the ground or in flight.

When I was younger I asked to see the cockpit after we had landed, and while i was there the captain asked if i had a camera. He encouraged me to take pictures, and what was best is he told me to sit in his seat and he snapped a picture of me sitting there.

My advice... if you are asked to stop taking pictures just say i'm sorry and give a nice smile to the person that asked you. They are probably just having a bad day and looking to stop someone from having fun. Also I wouldn't suggest taking any pictures with TSA agents in plain view. They'll do anything to cause you some trouble.
Flying is like having eyes on the top of the world.

GVROYphx

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:38 am

Here's my view on it...there is no regulation saying that nobody can take pictures...so go ahead....but when it gets into taking pics of crew activities...that's the problem...and dont do that.

jasp25
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 27):
I don't know if this applies to airports, but I have never figured out how taking a photograph constitutes a security threat.

I do not understand either. But because of public paranoia, most people these days act like robots. They just follow whatever they were told as rules or as law or policies without scrutinizing if those very same rules are justifiable or are in the bounds of common sense.

-Jasp

cytz_pilot

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:43 am

I only had a problem during taxi on an Easyjet flight when I was asked to stow my digital camera until after takeoff, back in 2003. I complied, and that was that. Haven't had a problem since. I do, however, keep a little low-key during the taxi as I like taking terminal & aircraft photos much more than sky pics, and really don't want to put it away then. If there is any kind of turbulence after takeoff, I stuff the camera into the seat pocket to prevent it from flying around.

FLIEGER67

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:44 am

Hello, Jasp25,

I´ve done around 20 intraeuropean flights during the last four weeks.

Major and LoCo airlines, major airports and regional one´s.

I had one strictly no photos flight on Clickair, a LoCo airline from spain.

Beneath that I was never questioned, not inflight and also not at the airports.

So, enjoy it, as long as it´s possible.

Greetings,

Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

bond007

Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting GVROYphx (Reply 29):
there is no regulation saying that nobody can take pictures

Correct, no regulation that 'nobody can take pictures' .... but there is that 'somebody' cannot take them during takeoff and landing ... assuming their camera is electronic.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

ACDC8

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 33):
Correct, no regulation that 'nobody can take pictures' .... but there is that 'somebody' cannot take them during takeoff and landing ... assuming their camera is electronic.

A watch is electronic as well.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 23):

If the F/A's instructions aren't safety related than they are just showing an abuse of their authority.

In short, I always take pictures on my flights, if it bothers other people and makes them suspicious of me, then that's their problem and not mine. Why should I adjust my life to accommodate others ignorance and paranoia?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

bond007

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 34):
A watch is electronic as well.

Yep, and the regulations specifically mention them as exceptions!

Jimbo

skywatch

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:57 am

I take pictures and video freely throughout every flight I am on. The only problem I ever had was that I was taking pictures on the ramp before boarding an Air Sahara 737 in New Delhi, and a fellow passenger advised me to put the lens cap on because pictures weren't allowed on the ramp. I recall another user on this forum who is an Indian ramper in BOM (HAWK21M) saying somthing about that.

--Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

Reggaebird

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:09 am

For the last 6 months, I have been traveling transatlantic routes very regularly. Everytime I board a flight, I prepare my seat area with my "necessities"; the iPod, the IFE guide, the eye mask and the digital camera. I have never been prevented from taking pictures but I do try to be as coy as possible with the camera so as not to attract the attention of attendants. Since it is an electronic device, it should obviously be off during taxi but the attendants who "catch me" never say anything.

My favourite targets are unusual aircraft or airlines that we don't normally see in our part of the world. I also enjoy videotaping takeoffs and landings, especially when the terminal buildings are in sight. I also like taking pictures of airports from cruise altitude. I am a member of a few loosely organized "airliner societies" and I share my photos and videos with the members of the groups.

As for taking pictures in and around airports, that's more of a problem. I have been asked to stop doing so at Boston Logan, London Heathrow, New York JFK, San Francisco and, oddly enough, at Canton/Ackron Ohio.

Reggaebird

Viscount724

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:46 am

Some airports in certain parts of the world probably have photography restrictions, most likely those that have both civil and military operations. I would expect they would make an announcement on flights prior to arrival at such points reminding passengers that photography is not permitted.

I recall reading an article years ago about CO's (Air Micronesia) island-hopping route from HNL to GUM. At that time the first stop was Johnston Island, a US possession which was used for years as a US base for missile and nuclear/chemical weapons testing in the Pacific. Only passengers with US government authorization were permitted to board/deplane there. I recall the article mentioning that prior to landing (727-100s then) passengers were required to lower the window shades and leave them down until after takeoff on the next sector. Johnston Island was abandoned and the airport deactivated a few years ago after being used as a destruction site for chemical weapons for a few years.

Kwajalein Atoll (KWA) in the Marshall Islands was (and still is) another stop on that CO/Air Micronesia route. It was the primary support base for US nuclear weapons tests in the Pacific in the 1950s and 60s (which wiped a few similar islands off the map). There's still a significant US military presence there related to ballistic missile testing. I believe CO/Air Micronesia flights stopping there (now 737-800s) are also subject to strict security requirements.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Zeljko

ReverseThrust

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:03 am

I've never had a problem taking pictures on a flight before, although one moody Alitalia cabin crew member told me not to once - he was somewhat heated dealing with some rowdy schoolchildren a few rows behind me!!

If I take a pic from the back galley towards the front, I normally ask the crew first and explain the pics will go onto an aviation website first (sadly, none of them have quite made it to a.net so far!)

I often take videos in flight (take off or landing) and have done so on QR, SU, 5N and AZ without any problem.

For me, it's part of the travelling experience and part of your holiday, sometimes it's nice to relay the journey to those who didn't come with you.

Reverse.
Flown MD11/81/82/83/87/90,B732/733/734/735/737W/738/739/742/752/753,F70/100,A300/319/320/321/332/333/343,TU134A/154M,L10

brilondon

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting FLIEGER67 (Reply 32):
I had one strictly no photos flight on Clickair, a LoCo airline from spain.

Kind of ironic don't you think?  crazy 

brilondon

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 36):
take pictures and video freely throughout every flight I am on. The only problem I ever had was that I was taking pictures on the ramp before boarding an Air Sahara 737 in New Delhi, and a fellow passenger advised me to put the lens cap on because pictures weren't allowed on the ramp. I recall another user on this forum who is an Indian ramper in BOM (HAWK21M) saying somthing about that.

Is New Delhi not also a Military base?

L1011Lover

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 20):

Well, I'm glad you're making the decisions on what can cause interference and what cannot ... and what's more important

A truly unbelievable comment by a F/A who should be enforcing rules!

Jimbo

I knew, the moment I posted this, that someone would be critizising me for that.

I´m not making the decision on what can cause inteference and what cannot... If you´d read my entire post you could learn something new from it: A digital camera can´t cause ANY interfernce. Something they also teach us in FA training!!!

Just for the records, I DO enforce our rules. I´m just trying to use a little common sense in everything I do. And since I KNOW damn well adigital camera can´t interfere with the aircrafts´navigational system I don´t see a problem when someone is trying to take some pictures in flight or during approach. If someone would be holding a videocamera abve the seats filming the cabin during taxi, take-off or landing I´d sure tell them to turn it off.

Using a little common sense is something I really miss nowadays and obviously a lot of people out there are no lónger capable of doing so... and that´s a shame.

So you better change your attitude by making comments that even in the slightest way would suggest that I don´t do my job correctly.

Being a FA is not only enforcing rules... it´s a very important part of the job and I take that very serious. But it´s also about taking into consideration many, many things and in the end making your own decisions on some things based on your own common sense.

And just to clear things up: It is NOT illegal (by federal law) to use a camera or taking pictures in flight. Neither on a US nor any other carrier. That´s crap! Some airlines might have their own rules regarding the use of cameras. I know that LCC Ryanair doesn´t want passengers taking pictures. But that´s their company rule and not EU federal law.

Best regards

L1011Lover

[Edited 2007-08-21 01:13:33]

[Edited 2007-08-21 01:14:51]

KPDX

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:14 am

While were on this subject. Has anyone taped a whole flight and done a timelapse? Im going to do that for my 30 min IAH-AUS flight on a CO 738. Should turn out cool.  Smile

KPDX  Smile

cedarjet

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 am

Koreanair forbid filming inside the cabin, presumably for fear of the footage ending up on Air Disaster Investigation accident reconstructions or something. That's my best guess, and given their shocking safety record, perhaps undertandable. If only they spent more time on safety and less on policing dumb rules - although to their credit, the Stansted crash was their last, and nearly 8 years ago now.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Viscount724

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Brilondon (Reply 41):
Quoting Skywatch (Reply 36):
take pictures and video freely throughout every flight I am on. The only problem I ever had was that I was taking pictures on the ramp before boarding an Air Sahara 737 in New Delhi, and a fellow passenger advised me to put the lens cap on because pictures weren't allowed on the ramp. I recall another user on this forum who is an Indian ramper in BOM (HAWK21M) saying somthing about that.

Is New Delhi not also a Military base?

Photography at all airports in India was officially prohibited until 2005. Related excerpt from flwg press release dated May 2005 advising removal of this restriction:
http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=9333

Removal of Restriction on Photography

India was among the few countries in the world which had restrictions on photography by passengers at the terminal buildings of the airports and from inside the aircraft. These outdated restrictions have now been removed through amendments in Aircraft Rules to permit photography by passengers of scheduled flights at the terminal buildings of civil aerodromes and civil enclaves at Defence aerodromes. In addition passengers are also now permitted to take photographs from inside an aircraft while in flight or landing/take off at civil aerodromes.

bond007

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 42):
I?m not making the decision on what can cause inteference and what cannot... If you?d read my entire post you could learn something new from it: A digital camera can?t cause ANY interfernce.

That's exactly what you're doing.

A digital camera can?t cause ANY interfernce. Something they also teach us in FA training!!!

You don't know ... that's the point. I highly doubt they teach you that a digital camera can't cause 'ANY' interference ... but if they do, they'd be wrong to assume so.

Just for the records, I DO enforce our rules.

If electronic devices must be switched off for takeoff and landing, and you clearly allow them to be on ... then you do not enforce the rules.

So you better change your attitude by making comments that even in the slightest way would suggest that I don?t do my job correctly.

Wow ... relax. After your little rant I change nothing. It's not an 'attitude' I have ... I'm simply stating some facts.

It has nothing to do with whether you, or I, believe that electronic devices can cause interference. Many studies concluded that they possibly could, and that's why the regulation exists.

...I think I was on your flight once  Sad

Jimbo

rongotai

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:56 am

EISHN

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:04 am

I was flying SNN-DUB last month, on EI. I was seated in the emergency exit row on the left hand side of our A330-202. The steward on our flight was sitting right across from myself and my brother. I took out my camera and started taking pictures of everything around me, including cabin and wing shots. The steward didn't mind at all, and infact offered to take a picture of my brother and I. He was also interested in talking about the camera and mentioned that he had one similar. And on other flights with EI to the states, and inflight over the states, there have been no problems, and I've been seen doing it by dozens of people, and not once has anyone said anything.
Crews might not be so suspicious because they know that people like to take lots of pictures on their holidays, and many take them inside the cabin.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

L1011Lover

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 46):
That's exactly what you're doing

NO I don´t!

I use common sense! That´s it!

You don't know ... that's the point. I highly doubt they teach you that a digital camera can't cause 'ANY' interference ... but if they do, they'd be wrong to assume so.

If you know so much better then you´re free to explan to me what kind of interference the digital camera can cause to the aircrafts navigational and communications system??? I´ve always had a great willingness to learn...  Wink

So go ahead!

It´s not that I make announcements suggesting everyone should take out their cameras and start taking pictures and filming! Okay! I´m just trying to be discreet and again use SOME common-sense!

I´ve been riding the jumpseat on the flight deck many, many times, taking pictures... yes, even during takeoff and landing! Even been asked by pilots to do it with their cameras...

So why should I ridicule a passenger in row 35 who´s trying to get some nice shots... ??? Huh?

I have more important things to do! But I see that you really don´t get my point! I´m not trying to make my own rules, and I´m pretty sure the majority of people here know and understand what I mean. You obviously don´t!

If electronic devices must be switched off for takeoff and landing, and you clearly allow them to be on ... then you do not enforce the rules.

I never said that! I never said I really, actually allow people to use their electronic devices or even tell them they´re free to do so. You should read a little more careful through other posts. And if taking things totally out of context is the only way you can argue than I feel really sorry for you!

And yes, you do have an attitude!!! Again, stop suggesting I don´t do my job correctly!

So you´ve been on one of my flights you think??? Really??? So what? What are you trying to proof with that totally pointless comment? I´m wondering?  Yeah sure

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos