Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HeeseokKoo
Topic Author

KE's LF For YYC Only 55%, MAD 61.5% In July

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:54 am

Unfortunately there are only a few load factors I can reach right now. All data are of the July, 07.

KE operated (still operating until late August, I believe) charter to Calgary, Canada (YYC), for the first time. And barely fulled half of thrice weekly 772 flights. I think KE will never do this charter again. KE could do ANC, etc, instead of YYC. Meanwhile, KE did well on YVR, 90.7% LF. There were Sunday additional charter to YVR, total 4/w.

MAD was 61.5%, but I think KE could still make money on this route, since airfare was quite high on this sector. Other data I know are 85.1% on GUM, 71% on KTM.

FLYGUY767

RE: KE's LF For YYC Only 55%, MAD 61.5% In July

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Thread starter):
Unfortunately there are only a few load factors I can reach right now. All data are of the July, 07

Is there anyway to find out the following Load Factors:

Las Vegas
Rome
San Francisco

Thank You

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

upperdeckfan

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:00 am

MAD was 61.5%, but I think KE could still make money on this route

I don't think so, like I said on a recent thread MAD is a OW hub and there are too many and more flexible options for SKY members to get to ICN out of other european capitals (mainly CDG and AMS) and viceversa. There is not enough O&D traffic to substain this flight.

In my opinion the best shot at a profitable non-stop link between MAD and Asia would be through HKG. Both are OW hubs and HKG is well located to provide connections (Japan/Korea/China/SE Asia/Australia/NZ/etc)
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

DCAYOW

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:16 am

YTD (Jan 2007) LAS-ICN load factor was 63%, but flight only started in September 2006.
Retorne ao céu...

Tuffer

Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:32 am

Don't forget that KE was not allowed to pick up any traffic in YYC. The charters were only for Korean Citizens coming to Calgary/Baniff for a holiday and Korean students coming to Calgary to learn English for the summer.

If KE was sked they would be able to pick up cnx traffic in ICN and transport those pax to YYC which would improve the load factor. Same in YYC if they were allowed to pick up traffic in YYC and take ppl to ICN and offer cnx all over Asia for Calgarians it may also greatly improve their load factors. Not saying for sure it would but it might help.

Even if this is the only summer it was great watching KE 777 coming in!

[Edited 2007-08-21 23:33:50]

[Edited 2007-08-21 23:34:41]

HeeseokKoo
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 1):
Is there anyway to find out the following Load Factors:

I do wonder, but I have to pay like $2.5 per month to see the whole international routes' LF data. (not only KE and OZ, but then I can see all airliners' data of ICN or PUS routes.) And they service only in Korean language.

Anyway I believe KE is doing well on LAS, FCO, and SFO routes. KE is operating additional Monday flight to SFO at this point, not only upgrade from 772 to 744 this summer. Also, KE reduced capacity to LAS by using upgraded 772 (# of seats reduced by 40 per flight), and load factor must be increased.

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 2):
There is not enough O&D traffic to substain this flight. HKG is well located to provide connections

I hope KE do more promotions so that more Korean/Japanese people trip to Spain. Also, KE's current flight time is not well connected to other cities, but will have better timing this winter since late Oct, and then will have good connection to several Japanese cities such as NRT, KIX, NGO, and FUK. Well, unfortunately no other than Japanese cities.

Quoting Tuffer (Reply 4):
Don't forget that KE was not allowed to pick up any traffic in YYC.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. There was some movement in Korea to achieve open sky agreement with Canada, and I don't know what is going on.

yvr1968

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Meanwhile, KE did well on YVR, 90.7% LF. There were Sunday additional charter to YVR, total 4/w.

Good to see KE to YVR > 90%. With SQ also > 90% it will be interesting to see what growth this market will play in the upcoming year(s). Just a matter of time before both carriers will be daily YVR-ICN.

Actually KE was able to pick up other Asian traffic on the YYC route. However, it is true there would be no local YYC boarding pax. Although, I reckon that would be a fairly thin market anyway.

It will be interesting to see if they will return next year... looks unlikely.. unless drop to maybe 2x week.

Also, ANA didn't seem to return this summer on NRT-YYC either.

c172akula

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 6):
Also, ANA didn't seem to return this summer on NRT-YYC either.

That is true, but JAL did for the month of August operating I believe 4 flights or so from NRT-YYC.

Tuffer

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 6):
Actually KE was able to pick up other Asian traffic on the YYC route. However, it is true there would be no local YYC boarding pax. Although, I reckon that would be a fairly thin market anyway.

You don't give YYC much credit. For a city of over a million and the amount of investment Asian countries/companys are making in the province not only in oil. There is quite a bit of traffic from Alberta to all over Asia these days. This doesn't even include all the people that have moved to Alberta the last little while from Asia and return to see family or vise versa.

If you ever try to get on the 10:00 or the 10:30 AC flight from YYC to YVR (which you would be lucky to get a seat) you will see all the pax that are sent to YVR everyday from Calgary to make their Asian flight cnx not only with AC but many other airlines also. And those flights are mostly just the Japanese and Korean cnx.

yvr1968

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting Tuffer (Reply 8):
You don't give YYC much credit. For a city of over a million and the amount of investment Asian countries/companys are making in the province not only in oil. There is quite a bit of traffic from Alberta to all over Asia these days. This doesn't even include all the people that have moved to Alberta the last little while from Asia and return to see family or vise versa.

If you ever try to get on the 10:00 or the 10:30 AC flight from YYC to YVR (which you would be lucky to get a seat) you will see all the pax that are sent to YVR everyday from Calgary to make their Asian flight cnx not only with AC but many other airlines also. And those flights are mostly just the Japanese and Korean cnx.

Fair enough, but compared to the number of Asian immigrants to Vancouver over the last 10 years, YYC pales in comparison. Who knows, maybe one day there will be direct scheduled flights to Asia from YYC.

If you look at all the Asian carriers who have increased capacity to YVR in the last year alone, there is plenty of connecibility through YVR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos