Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

av8orwalk
Topic Author

Question About Mergers/seniority.

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:40 am

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A PURELY HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION. You can use ANY 2 airlines when thinking about the question asked. My friend was fired from Southwest Airlines for missing too many days work. He acquired too many "points" and was subsequently let go by the company. He now works for AirTran. He has cleaned up his act, taken on responsibility, and hasn't missed a single days work with AirTran for nearly 6 years. If, one day, Southwest merged with or bought AirTran, would he be out of a job? Does every employee have to be hired by the new company individually?

With all the merger mania going on, he is kinda nervous. Not to say that WN will EVER buy FL, but stranger things have happened. I'm sure this has been an issue in the past. Anyone know the procedure?

Cheers!
Drew in Orlando
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

AirframeAS

RE: Question About Mergers/seniority.

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting AV8orWALK (Thread starter):
If, one day, Southwest merged with or bought AirTran, would he be out of a job?

Thats a really good question! I really think that he wouldn't be out of a job because he is currently still working for an air carrier at the time of the merger. But then again, thinking of how AA treated the ex-TWAers, that's a totally different ballgame.

Speaking of AA, how did the AA folks treat the QQ folks when QQ was bought out?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

charlienorth

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:01 am

He would most likely be okay

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 1):
Speaking of AA, how did the AA folks treat the QQ folks when QQ was bought out?

I believe it was ugly,just on a smaller scale that TWA.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

SpencerII

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:57 am

When Southwest bought Morris Air, all (or most) Morris Employees were terminated and told to re-apply.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 3):
When Southwest bought Morris Air, all (or most) Morris Employees were terminated and told to re-apply.

I assume that was before the anti-trust laws were passed, perhaps??
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

737tanker

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 3):

Every pilot at Morris was hired at WN without any having to reapply, even the few at Morris who had been previously terminated at WN were hired.

DashTrash

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Your friend would not lose his job.

How the seniority lists would be merged is another thing though. To my knowledge, the only straight laced date of hire merger was between Piedmont and Allegheny (the regionals).

Other mergers have used slot or staple jobs, or a combination. Generally the airline that brings the larger equipment to the table will have those jobs protected in some form or fashion. When NW and Republic merged, such a fence was established. I could be wrong, but I think there are still Republic pilots on the property who are unable to bid widebody seats.

The AA/TWA merger was an ugly one for sure. I'd like to think it won't be repeated, but I doubt it. ALPA merger policy seems like a good thing until push comes to shove. The AAA/AWA fighting proves it. The top 500 numbers went to US pilots. The rest were slotted one for one down to the furloughed guys who were still on the street. They were stapled to the bottom. End result is 18 year US guys junior to 3 year HP guys, and a merger mess that may never be resolved.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos