Maersk737

RE: Randys Latest Blog Mentions Airliners.net

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Quoting KrisYUL (Reply 47):
If noise is so wonderful, why don't they move C and F to the back of the plane to take full advantage of the beneficial health effects noise imparts? If it were me, I would let Y suffer in silence at the front - but I'm just cruel like that...

Thanks! You made my day  Wink New C in the back of the good old MD80's....That must be a dream to remember  bigthumbsup 

Cheers

Peter
I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

ebbuk

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting TeamAmerica (Reply 44):
Quoting EbbUK (Reply 43):Also if it is possible to have "quiet zones" on both A380 and 787, I wonder which one would win the "quality of noise" test?
That may be subjective.

The point is that the "Quiet Zone" will be that, no kids no rowdy groups , just people who want to sleep and be in a non-human sound environ. (we have them on our trains here in UK no mobile phones in certain carriages)
Who'd win the "quality of noise" test, Airbus with the 380 or Boeing with the 787? We'll know very soon.

deltadc9

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting TeamAmerica (Reply 38):
He is trying to spin white noise on an aircraft as a good thing.

You mean like you trying to spin it as a bad thing with the above post? How do you know its bad? You are subjected to white noise more than you think and you probably never even noticed.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 28):
Yes, I think I can.

I think you need to re-read my post. You cannot assume because insulation is thinner, it is less effective. It may be, buy you have no evidence that it is.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

JTR

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting KrisYUL (Reply 49):

I think the question is not whether it will burn or not, but rather will it keep burning after the source is removed. Did it burn like a sheet of paper or go out once you took the flame away?

It didn't go up like a sheet of paper, but it didn't go out right after I removed the flame. It kept going for about ten seconds before going out, and only blackened the bottom face of the cylinder. Thinking about the worst-case scenario (like the China Airlines 737 a few days ago) it wouldn't make much of a difference what was the soundproofing material.

WINGS

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting JTR (Reply 53):
It didn't go up like a sheet of paper, but it didn't go out right after I removed the flame. It kept going for about ten seconds before going out, and only blackened the bottom face of the cylinder. Thinking about the worst-case scenario (like the China Airlines 737 a few days ago) it wouldn't make much of a difference what was the soundproofing material.

You really can not gather any conclusion as the cork that you used for your experiment had probably been soaked with alcohol.

To be more accurate you have to re -do the test with a fresh cork, that has not been utilised.

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

KrisYUL

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting WINGS (Reply 54):
your experiment had probably been soaked with alcohol.

Just like the experimenter, no doubt! That's true though, a wine-soked sample probaly isn't ideal...
Flown on: L1011, A310, A332, A333, A319, B732, B752, B763, CRJ100, CRJ200, DC9, DHC-8-100

TeamAmerica

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 52):
You mean like you trying to spin it as a bad thing with the above post? How do you know its bad? You are subjected to white noise more than you think and you probably never even noticed.

You didn't read everything I wrote before making this knee-jerk response. I like white noise, and explained why. yes 
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

JTR

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:49 pm

Funny, guys. I was going to light up a corkboard too, but you know, since it's useful I decided against it. It's just a simple little test, no need to get pissy.

That being said, are there different types/grades of cork? Different densities would have different properties, especially concerning weight and perhaps sound absorption.

WINGS

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting JTR (Reply 57):
Funny, guys. I was going to light up a corkboard too, but you know, since it's useful I decided against it. It's just a simple little test, no need to get pissy.

Pissy? I was simply pointing out a fact as to why the cork screw kept burning longer then expected.

My apologies for actually wanting to teach something around here  Yeah sure

Regards,
Wings
Aviation Is A Passion.

KrisYUL

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Maersk737 (Reply 50):
New C in the back of the good old MD80's....That must be a dream to remember

Virgin should probably look into acquiring MD-80's so they can market the aft section as a "flying spa - home of the turbofan massage".
Flown on: L1011, A310, A332, A333, A319, B732, B752, B763, CRJ100, CRJ200, DC9, DHC-8-100

Asturias

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting WINGS (Reply 25):
He might be amazed or probably shocked to find out that Airbus will soon manage to further reduce cabin noise across their portfolio, thanks to a natural and environmentally friendly insulation in which my country (Portugal) is the number one producer.

Your cour cousins to the north and east are quite the cork producers as well.. maybe not quite as much as Portugal, but Spain produces a lot.

Smile

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

JoeCanuck

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:24 am

All noise isn't created equal. Considering how active noise cancelling uses opposite amplitude noise of the same frequency to create silence...or theories to that effect.
What the...?

drexotica

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting Slz396 (Reply 18):
I suggest we officially name him "Comical Randy", after the notorious Iraqi Minister of information who made a fool of himself spinning the truth till he became dizzy of it himself!

Quoting Sebolino (Reply 21):
After Randy Baseler, now we have Randy Baseless ...

Pretty sad ...

I am always amused at how some people, time and again, react in such tragic ways to such trivial issues. It really does not reflect well upon the posters.

Randy still has a few things to learn about blogging. However, I admire him for doing so.

As he noted, there are very few executives out there blogging. Wish more did, including someone from Airbus.
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos