Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACDC8

RE: YYC Announcement Shortly.(rumor)

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Yegger (Reply 49):
Does anyone know if the LTU charter flight from EDDL to YEG ever started as planned. There was talk of it this past winter being a once a week operation thorugh the summer.

Whatever happended to LTU's YYC service?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

falcon7x
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:26 am

EDDL-YYC was dropped due to low loads.EDDL-YEG was dropped before it started due to the ever famous aircraft ''shortage''.

flyb

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting Yegger (Reply 49):
Does anyone know if the LTU charter flight from EDDL to YEG ever started as planned. There was talk of it this past winter being a once a week operation thorugh the summer.

They had an aircraft shortage...story of YEG!

I to would like to know if this rumour would include YEG, I just heard a buzz around here yesterday. Wondering if they are related.

Then again both airports have alot of possiblities and growth right now.

flyyul

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:50 pm

FlyB,

With all due respect, you hear quite a lot of buzz, but your success rate is less than acceptable.

I'm putting my money on potentially new international service to Calgary (KLM/Swiss/Air France?)

Tuffer

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:01 pm

Thats funny I was kind of thinking Swiss too!

Highly doubt it thou, KLM makes more sense if it is going to be a euro carrier.

Cargo Airlines: My bet would be Volga-Dnepr's ABC Cargo - there was an article in either Airliners or Airways (can't remember which) a few months ago mentioning YYC as a potential new destination. YYC is listed on their route map with the name of a cargo agent for YYC, there is no route shown for Calgary however it is shown on the map. Along with YWG.....

Lets hope we hear something tomorrow!

flyb

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 53):
With all due respect, you hear quite a lot of buzz, but your success rate is less than acceptable.

I'm putting my money on potentially new international service to Calgary (KLM/Swiss/Air France

I haven't given much rumours on here FLYYUL. If my memory has it right I stated that FRA is rumoured for late 2008. I am still hearing that may come. But it is just a rumour.

If your going to make a rash judgement on that fine. I enjoy this forum to hear what others are hearing at their respected airports. Right now the rumours I hear for 2008 at YEG are FRA, IAH(more to come), increased frequencies. I don't think that is any different than anyothers rumours out of here. So calm down and don't bash me...keep that for the guy that owes you beer.

flyyul

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:39 pm

Im not bashing you, but what are the sources of these rumours? Send me a pm when you get a chance

FCAFLYBOY

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 44):
Probably something like ZOOM UK will start operating ZOOM Canada's LGW-YYC route.

Ha Ha! You're either hinting at something you Know, or saying that with sarcasm because you may work for Zoom Canada - which is it??  Big grin

falcon7x
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:14 am

In defense of flyb, rumors of YEG-LHR going daily year-round based on its almost immediate success were doubted by some, And now it is a reality.

c172akula

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:40 am

I'm getting tired of waiting, but at least we have these RAF Tornados ripping out of here daily to take my mind off of it!

johnnybgoode

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Thenoflyzone (Reply 23):
my money's on LH starting service to either MUC or FRA.

mine is to, though only on FRA.

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 25):
Not going to be LH to FRA. As far as YYC-MUC

if one sort of traffic comes to mind, its the oil business up in Alberta. now why would anyone serve MUC-YYC if you want to get a chunk of oil business travel? i'd be highly surprised if it was LH to MUC, as MUC lacks the right portfolio of routes to feed a MUC-YYC leg.
FRA, with its vast network of oil destinations (Norway, Africa, Middle East) has ample connection to feed an additional YYC flight.
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

Viscount724

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 34):
Quoting Sebring (Reply 32):
KL has already operated at YOW-YHZ-AMS route and dropped it because it didn't make money.

They flew it with a D10 as I remember....I am wondering if a smaller plane would work.

KL used B747 Combis on that route (also YYC-AMS) as cargo was an important factor on all those routes. As I recall, KL also used the MD-11 to YYC for a while.

yow

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 62):
You mean fifths via YOW? They aren't even operating fifths over YYZ or YVR. But I love these a.nutter ideas.

Where did I say they were operating 5th freedoms? I said, their route planning guys have or probably will take A LOOK at operating Canada-EU routes and I never said only via YOW. 5th's have only been allowed for a few months, it's not like these things happen overnight. Have a look at the new US-Canada Open Skies deal before making silly 'a.nutter' remarks and see what it says about fifth freedom routes and changes of aircraft enroute.

ACDC8

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:33 pm

In all seriousness, if this rumour is about a major carrier starting overseas service from YYC, the only realistic possibility would be KL with AMS. BA has already started service to LHR as does AC. LH is very unlikely since AC is already operating a daily service to FRA, unless AC is letting LH take over.

What about Asian service? CX to HKG, JL or NH to NRT?

Other than those, I can't imagine any other major carrier starting anything.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

c172akula

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Well almost through another week and still nothing out of the airport authority. I really hope this wasn't just another rumour, perhaps they are waiting until after the long weekend before making an announcement.

Anyone heard anymore yet?

yegbey01

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:35 pm

It's just a rumour.....Chances are: there will be announcements coming out of YEG, YYC and YVR just like it usually is every year.....but how significant will they be???

sebring

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting YOW" class=quote target=_blank>YOW (Reply 62):
Where did I say they were operating 5th freedoms? I said, their route planning guys have or probably will take A LOOK at operating Canada-EU routes and I never said only via YOW. 5th's have only been allowed for a few months, it's not like these things happen overnight. Have a look at the new US-Canada Open Skies deal before making silly 'a.nutter' remarks and see what it says about fifth freedom routes and changes of aircraft enroute.

There are no routes that US carriers will operate with their own metal. PERIOD. They are too busy starting routes out of their own hubs to operate a nonstop from YOW. And the requirement would still be that they have to operate the Canada-US route to get to a Canadian gateway to operate overseas and for all but 2-3 transborder routes, flying a 777 to a Canadian gateway would be like deadheading the aircraft. American customers want nonstops to Europe or Asia, not onestops via Canada.

ANother

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Sebring (Reply 66):
American customers want nonstops to Europe or Asia, not onestops via Canada.

Also, for the return flight to the US, wouldn't the US airline either have to;

1. Off-load through passengers and put them through US pre-clearance (and security), or
2. For origin passengers at Canadian city, bypass US pre-clearance and have them cleared at US destination?

Neither of which would be attractive to the relevant passenger.

PS - what happens today with 5th freedom flights between CA and US. PR, for example, YVR-LAS?

flyb

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 65):
It's just a rumour.....Chances are: there will be announcements coming out of YEG, YYC and YVR just like it usually is every year.....but how significant will they be???

Yep, but this timing is strange. I was expecting more announcments from the Western Triangle in October.

c172akula

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:03 am

From another source I've heard an announcement should be coming sometime next week(Sep. 10-14). So I guess we can just wait and see if this develops into anything.

DavidYYC

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:16 am

Stil waiting, and perhaps"tomorrow will never come". However if it does, my money is on KLM (1st bet) then LH (2nd bet) although the latter would be a puzzle because of the code and revenue sharing agreement that the AC and LH have. A distant 3rd would be AF??

Boeingluvr

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:41 am

With the rumors being so great of LH service being announced before the middle of this month. I'm betting on LF.

sebring

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:15 am

Holy mother of pearl. I hope this wasn't the launch the OP was referring to. He'd have credibility for the fact something was announced in the right timeframe, but this is as far from significant as one can get and still be on planet earth.

http://www.pacificcoastal.com/live/home/?id=46&newsID=6

9252fly

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 72):
Holy mother of pearl. I hope this wasn't the launch the OP was referring to.

Feeling a little bit cheeky today Sebring?

scrumpy492003

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:08 pm

One thing that has happened at CYYC lately, is the re-introduction of Air BC

eg:

06:38 AirBC ZX 7240 Medicine Hat A Arrived at 06:36
06:38 AirBC ZX 7248 Lethbridge A Arrived at 06:34

Lately, those flights - and a few others, BUT mostly the "desert triangle" have been labeled as

06:38 Jazz ( ZX) 7240 Medicine Hat A Arrived at 06:36
06:38 Jazz ( ZX) 7248 Lethbridge A Arrived at 06:34

Is that part of the announcement, that the regionals are back with their own names again?

Peter
peter b95 c-ghfu

Viscount724

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 67):
Quoting Sebring (Reply 66):
American customers want nonstops to Europe or Asia, not onestops via Canada.

Also, for the return flight to the US, wouldn't the US airline either have to;

1. Off-load through passengers and put them through US pre-clearance (and security), or
2. For origin passengers at Canadian city, bypass US pre-clearance and have them cleared at US destination?

Neither of which would be attractive to the relevant passenger.

PS - what happens today with 5th freedom flights between CA and US. PR, for example, YVR-LAS?

Re your PS, as far as I know neither PR (MNL-YVR-LAS) nor CX (HKG-YVR-JFK) use US pre-clearance at YVR. Those flights are post-cleared on arrival at LAS and JFK, including YVR-originating passengers. That avoids hassles for through passengers but may mean that YVR-originating passengers may possibly have to deal with longer US customs/immigration lines on arrival in the USA, although probably less so at LAS which has few international flights.

I understand QF also does not use US pre-clearance on their seasonal YVR-SFO-SYD flights. So local YVR-SFO passengers on those flights also clear customs/immigration on arrival SFO.

On the other hand, I believe all YVR-boarding passengers on AC's YVR-HNL-SYD flights have to go through US pre-clearance at YVR, including YVR-SYD passengers. That flight of course becomes nonstop YVR-SYD in December.

bakersdozen

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 am

So I guess it was just a rumor?

johnnybgoode

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 am

there will very likely be more news to come, but i honestly don't know when...

pnwtraveler

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:14 am

Well anyone can say an announcement will be coming soon and eventually one will. When no source is cited and it is vague anything can happen.

johnnybgoode

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting Pnwtraveler (Reply 78):
Well anyone can say an announcement will be coming soon and eventually one will. When no source is cited and it is vague anything can happen.

you may want to link my recent statement with an older one in this thread, this would give a clue. i hope this makes it a little less vague for you...

pnwtraveler

Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:02 am

Johnny my comments weren't directed at you. We probably were typing at the same time but it took me forever to hit post because I was at Starbucks at the time and kept seeing people I knew so was blabbing a lot. My comments were more directed at this and other threads that go on and on about unsubtantiated this or that. Discussion and conjecture can be fun. If the title of the thread was "who do you think will add service to YYC next would be one thing. I guess I should have just ignored the "YYC Announcement Shortly" part and just read the "Rumour" part.

yvr1968

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 am

Quoting Johnnybgoode (Reply 77):
there will very likely be more news to come, but i honestly don't know when...

There will always be more news to come at every airport in the world.

Funny how Air India has actually stated they are going to start to fly to YVR in December or January 08 and China Southern says it will commence YVR service in 2009 and no threads highlighted this specifically. But when a "rumour" is mentioned and people say things like "I know what it is but I can't say" then why bother say anything until it is a fact or at least a public statement has been made by the airline itself.

There is no doubt in my mind that in the future YYC will attract new services. But until something is concrete....

c172akula

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting Pnwtraveler (Reply 80):
I guess I should have just ignored the "YYC Announcement Shortly" part and just read the "Rumour" part.

You got to have some faith buddy, we here in YYC don't just create a thread based on rumour.  Wink

flyb

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:02 am

DHL wasn't the announcement I hope...

sebring

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:23 am

There will be announcements. The Calgary/Alberta economy is so strong it is inevitable. I just dislike rumors with no information. It's an empty prediction anyone can make, and when something is announced, the OP wants to be able to come forward and say, "You heard it here first", when in fact they didn't know any details themselves but were just trafficking in some vague rumor they heard. I think it will be LH. But if we wait long enough it could be anyone.

c172akula

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting Sebring (Reply 84):
the OP wants to be able to come forward and say, "You heard it here first", when in fact they didn't know any details themselves but were just trafficking in some vague rumor they heard.

So can those of us that are not the OP and do know the details and such gloat afterwards?  Wink

superdawg

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:20 am

Shuold this rumour become truth, I'll take a wild guess that perhaps it will be KLM?

They announced that they are planning increased connections between oil markets such as Muscat, Dubai, Doha etc.. So there is a possible connecttion here as there is a fair bit of travel between YYC and those, but would KLM be able to pull people away from AC/LH and BA?

yvr1968

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting Flyb (Reply 83):
DHL wasn't the announcement I hope...

What announcement are you referring to?

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 85):
So can those of us that are not the OP and do know the details and such gloat afterwards?

If you know anything spill it! What do you have to hide?!

JoeCanuck

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:58 pm

I think it'll be thrice weekly shuttles by Zoltarian Gallactic from Alpha Centauri...but KLM is a possibility....
What the...?

jamincan

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 88):

Ahh, but using what spacecraft? I know YYC is booming right now, but I doubt they could fill even the smallest interstellar spacecraft. Perhaps ZG could arrange a codeshare with AC out of YYZ and get a much better feed from across Canada and the US.

JoeCanuck

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:51 pm

Awesome...finally some serious aeroplan points...sweet...
What the...?

yvr1968

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Yes, another rumour comes, goes and fizzles out.

Maybe Qantas will extend its flights to YYC. MEL-YYC!

c172akula

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 87):
If you know anything spill it! What do you have to hide?!

Nope, I keep my promises. Big grin

sebring

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 pm

I promise that Calgary will get some new international services. I promise that it will happen by next spring. I suggest one source of new flying will be Lufthansa. But since I can't be more specific, I'm not going to claim inside knowledge. If you don't post specifics, you haven't proven you really know anything. Given Calgary's situation, predicting new services without giving any specifics whatsoever is like predicting somebody in Calgary will win the lottery in the next 12 months.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos