Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Hong Kong Intl Airport - Stands/runways?

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:36 am

I was just curious about the allocation of stands and runway usage at HKIA; as far as I'm away, certain airlines use what we might describe as the south side of the terminal (or the left side, looking from the front of the terminal) - such as CX, CI, JL, a few others too. Presumably these airlines use 25L/07R for landings wherever possible.

I'm also assuming both runways are used for landing/takeoff at all times - rather than an LHR type "one for landing, one for t/o situation?

So, what airlines normally use the north side of the terminal, i.e. near 25R/7L. Most Chinese carriers, plus SQ, KE, PR, BA and a few others?

Are these allocations "rigid", or can aircraft at any gate, depending on stand availability?

cloudyapple

RE: Hong Kong Intl Airport - Stands/runways?

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
I'm also assuming both runways are used for landing/takeoff at all times - rather than an LHR type "one for landing, one for t/o situation?

Mostly segregated - north runway for landings, south runway for takeoffs whether 07 or 25. South runway also takes some landing freighters and bizjets on opportunistic basis.

So, what airlines normally use the north side of the terminal, i.e. near 25R/7L. Most Chinese carriers, plus SQ, KE, PR, BA and a few others?

Stand Preferences:
November
Cathay, Dragon, Oasis, Dynasty, Mandarin, EVA, All chinese carriers, Philippines, All Nippon, Koreanair, Asiana, Speedbird, Air France, Finnair, Emirates, Qantas, Garuda, Virgin, Mauritius, (Gulf Air), Pakistan, Royal Brunei, Springbok, Srilankan

Sierra
Cathay, Dragon, Dynasty, Mandarin, Japan Air, Singapore, Malaysian, Air India, Kenyan, El Al, Lufthansa, Qatar, Ethiopian, Swiss, Aeroflot, Continental, Northwest, KLM, New Zealand, Air Niugini, Air Canada, Biman, Saudia, Vietnam

Whiskey
Cathay, Dragon, Japan Air, Air India, Bangkok Air, Siem Reap, United, Bauhinia, Thai, Jetstar, Cebu, Orient Thai, Royal Nepal, Turkish, Vietnam

Victor
Bauhinia, Shuttle

Charlie
Freighters

Let me know if you have specific ones I missed.

Are these allocations "rigid", or can aircraft at any gate, depending on stand availability?

All preferences only, nothing is rigid. Anyone can be anywhere if out of stands, especially post typhoon!

[Edited 2007-08-24 20:30:00]
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

B747-4U3

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:01 am

I travel fairly reguarly through HKG and I find that you tend to see the same airlines on the same stands. It isn't 100% rigid, but there definately is a pattern.

I don't have my map of HKG airport at the moment, so I can't recall all of the stand numbers, BA/QF/PR/O8/FI/GA/KE/OZ tend to use gates 15/16/17/18/19 on the north side. UA/LH use gates 60s at the far end on the north side. JL/KA use far end south side. CX use gates at the far end and on the north side. They don't seem to use the south side much except for at the far end of the terminal. CI use the middle of the terminal, mostly south side, but sometimes north too. AF far end, north. LX/QR north near security. EK south at far end.

As for the runway, generally there is a one for take off, one for landing pattern, however this is not a hard and fast rule. I have watched one afternoon where that is the case. Another time I have noticed that one is mostly used for take-off and another for landing but there are a few exceptions. Cargo flights often seem to be the exception, possibly because of the proximity to the cargo terminal.

Hope this helps.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:18 am

Thanks guys; I know the new observation deck (which I'm hoping to visit very soon!) overlooks the approach to 25R, so I was just curious as to what airlines might use this - presumably those using the N side (November stands?) of the terminal.

Still haven't forgiven them for closing "my" airport!!!

blrBird

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 1):
Stand Preferences:
November
Cathay, Dragon, Oasis, Dynasty, Mandarin, EVA, All chinese carriers, Philippines, All Nippon, Koreanair, Asiana, Speedbird, Air France, Finnair, Emirates, Qantas, Garuda, Virgin, Mauritius, (Gulf Air), Pakistan, Royal Brunei, Springbok, Srilankan

Sierra
Cathay, Dragon, Dynasty, Mandarin, Japan Air, Singapore, Malaysian, Air India, Kenyan, El Al, Lufthansa, Qatar, Ethiopian, Swiss, Aeroflot, Continental, Northwest, KLM, New Zealand, Air Niugini, Air Canada, Biman, Saudia, Vietnam

Whiskey
Cathay, Dragon, Japan Air, Air India, Bangkok Air, Siem Reap, United, Bauhinia, Thai, Jetstar, Cebu, Orient Thai, Royal Nepal, Turkish, Vietnam

Victor
Bauhinia, Shuttle

Charlie
Freighters

Let me know if you have specific ones I missed.

What about BA?
from star dust....

zeke

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 2):
I don't have my map of HKG airport at the moment, so I can't recall all of the stand numbers,

The full HK AIP is online at http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/ which include PDF copies of the airport charts, and all the approach and departure charts.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/thezeke/charts/58e1789c.png

(cut that from http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/AIP/AD/HK_AD2-VHHH-80D.pdf )

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 3):
Thanks guys; I know the new observation deck (which I'm hoping to visit very soon!) overlooks the approach to 25R, so I was just curious as to what airlines might use this - presumably those using the N side (November stands?) of the terminal

Generally when 25 is in use, all arrivals will be on 25R except for cargo, when 07 is in use generally all arrivals are 07L except for cargo. All traffic is routed to a single runway when they do works on one runway, generally late at night till early morning.

Quoting BlrBird (Reply 4):
What about BA?

Tend to see them on the northern side of Echo and November ( E15-E19, N22-N34) like QF, he has the listed as Speedbird which is BAs call-sign, also commonly known as birdseed to everyone else  Smile

I think they use these gates as the QF lounge is near E16.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos