JoKeR
Topic Author

JAT Aircraft To Fight Greek Forest Fires

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:02 am

Six aircraft from Jat Airways' Agricultural Aviation division have been readied to fly to Greece and help in fighting the tragic forest fires that have claimed more than 60 lives. The aircraft, usually used for crop-spraying and mosquito control, successfully fought fires in Southern Serbia just a month ago, albeit with the great assistance and mighty punch provided by the single Russian IL-76 fire-bomber.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Milan Vladisavljevic

Serbian Air Force has also placed three transport aircraft on stand-by, prepared to fly the special search and rescue army units to Greece. Their departure is expected this evening.

I also saw that many European countries have dispatched their fire-bombers to help the Greeks... so my question is, wouldn't it be possible to create a 20-30 strong CL-415 fleet (or even the IL-76 Fire-bomber), based somewhere in Southern Europe, to act in times such as this? I'm surprised that the EU hasn't done that already? What's your opinion?

OA260

RE: JAT Aircraft To Fight Greek Forest Fires

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting JoKeR (Thread starter):
Serbian Air Force has also placed three transport aircraft on stand-by, prepared to fly the special search and rescue army units to Greece. Their departure is expected this evening.

Firstly thank you to Serbia !!! They have always been friends of the Greeks  Smile

EU States are also helping out. It is a very bad situation as I'm sure everyone knows. I called my family today and they said the air around Athens was very bad and there is ash on the balconies.one day the sun was blocked by the smoke. At night time they can see the fires in the mountains. The main highway to the airport was closed at one point and my cousin thought flights were cancelled but couldn't confirm 100%.

The rest of Greece is badly hit and the death toll is very sad. The worst thing is that it is suspected that it was arson . The charge if and when caught is murder and rightfully so.

I have to say I think the EU does need a emergency task force for such events in the Balkans etc.. with rising temperatures each year this may be an annual event. Greece and other countries have always been plagued by fires in the summer heat but this year is the worst and the death toll is why its making the news so much.

I would like to see a unit set up by the EU for such disasters in future which can respond instantly. When something like this happens you need to respond in hours not days !!!

Anyway RIP to all those killed and for the 370 houses burned down and the hundreds of people displaced.

AirEMS

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 am

I wonder if they will send the DC-10 or the Evergreen 747 to aid in these fires? I know their tied up in red tape around here I wonder if the Greeks could use them?

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

OA260

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting AirEMS (Reply 2):
I wonder if the Greeks could use them?

The Greeks should be using everything thats offered to them right now !! The government is coming under alot of criticism for lack of fire fighting facilities. Obviously people over react but Greece needs to look at a major upgrading of the fire fighting infrastructure and a fleet of new water bombing aircraft.

UN_B732

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:42 am

I find the JAT colors on a crop duster pretty funny  Smile

-A
What now?

blueflyer

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:54 am

so my question is, wouldn't it be possible to create a 20-30 strong CL-415 fleet (or even the IL-76 Fire-bomber), based somewhere in Southern Europe, to act in times such as this? I'm surprised that the EU hasn't done that already? What's your opinion?

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/10/europe/fire.php
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

Bofredrik

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:56 am

A swedish helicopter adapted to carry water for forrest fires is also sent from my country.

OA260

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 5):
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/10/europe/fire.php

Thats promising . I hope it becomes reality soon.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 6):
A swedish helicopter adapted to carry water for forrest fires is also sent from my country.

Tack så mycket  bigthumbsup 

JoKeR
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 5):

Ha, thanks, did not see that before!

flyboy_se

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:10 am

Way to go Serbia. Should have acted sooner , but good thing they are sending help our brothers in Greece.
That s pretty serious if the road to ATH gets closed.HOpe things get better
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

TK787

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:36 am

Turkey sends one of these:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Turker Hasimoglu

As you can see these are leased from Italy for the summer. Every summer the Ministry of Forestry leases a dozen planes, and same number of firefighting helicopters but never enough. Fires are very common in Southern Turkey this time of the year. Too bad they can't send more of them to Greece.

anax

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:35 pm

it has been the greatest disaster Greece has ever come up to today. The death toll is 63. More than 2.000 (correct two thousand! ) houses are destroyed , and fires still go on today , threatening more people and villages. Up to now more than 200.000 acres are gone in southern Greece and the island of Evia.The country is in state of emergency since Friday 24/8 , and the army is out tryng to help fire fighters.
Apart from Serbia and Turkey , Spain , France and Italy (although they had forest fires too) have also sent Canadairs to help.

Greece has the biggest fleet of fire fighting canadairs in the area. But this thing was just not possible to fight. There was a new fire every ten minutes on Friday (170 fires started that day). Obviously arson.

My apologies for going off the "airline" or "airliner" path.

RIP to those lost their lives.

GM
god is a spotter!!!

aad665

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi,

What I have seen on TV, Greece and Turkey (Italy lease) use old CL-215 piston engines, not even 215T (turbo).

It is a major difference to use CL-215 and CL-415. They should think to update the fleet, they will be more efficient.

anax

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 pm

not correct
Greece has a combined fleet of CL-215 and CL-415 , with old 215 being phased out and replaced gradually by 415's
god is a spotter!!!

JoKeR
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Six aircraft from Jat Airways' Agricultural Aviation division have been readied to fly to Greece

Make that seven now, one additional aircraft left for Greece this morning...

AirEMS

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting Anax (Reply 11):

Anax be safe yourself! My prayers are with you and your country

-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos