Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

masseybrown

RE: Rumor: CO CLE Expansion Annoucment Imminent

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 49):
However, I checked this morning and that posting has been removed.

Continental.com shows a total of 65 part-time and 20 full-time jobs (including Chelsea) available at CLE.

Warehouse agent - 1 F/T
Material Agent - 1 F/T
Airport sales agent - 15 P/T
Drivers - 7 F/T
Drivers (Chelsea) - 4 F/T
Baggage Handlers - 50 P/T
Sanitation Agent - 2 F/T
Chelsea - 5 F/T

Given CO's size at CLE, is that extraordinary or just normal end-of-summer turnover?

cle757

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 50):
Given CO's size at CLE, is that extraordinary or just normal end-of-summer turnover?

It has to be for growth CLE doesnt have the turnover the other hubs do, except Chelsea.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

N766UA

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 47):
Hey guys. Is anyone using the hangar north of the terminal? I know ExpressJet parks planes there, but what about inside?

ExpressJet uses about 3/4 of the old AA/UA hangars while Commutair uses the last 1/4. Air Services owns the perpendicular hangars.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 49):
Then I was right, it is a big deal. They are hiring the 50 Ramp Agents as mentioned above and they also HAD a posting up for 15 "Airport Sales Agents" which talked about selling tickets, tagging bags, etc. That would be a CSR.

ASA's are agent; CSR's are red coats. So we're hiring another class of agents, which will be about our third or fourth class of ASA's to be hired. But while CSR's are technically agents, CSR's are hired from the ASA group, or, sometimes, as happened earlier this year, from outside the company, which is rare, but does happen.
Work Right, Fly Hard

n917me

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:15 am

Sounds like CLE may be getting ready to grow.. FINALLY!!!! Now just update Concourse C. It is really tight in there during the peak times. Seating is minimal.

Tornado82

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
said he heard Colgan may lose the rights to fly the Q400's because of training issues, and that Commutair is hot on getting those Q400's into CLE.

Good. I could never see why they didn't do this to begin with, considering that the Q400 and the Q200 are one in the same certificate wise. I couldn't imagine how badly Colgan could run a maintenance hungry plane like a Q400.

Quoting N917ME (Reply 54):
Now just update Concourse C. It is really tight in there during the peak times. Seating is minimal.

Nothing is worse than D28 or whatever it is down there at the end, the "overflow" gate during the hub pushes. 80 or so seats for 5 ERJ's.

747luvr

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:48 am

My wife and I got thru security for our flight CO Monday afternoon suprisingly in 2 minutes start to finish...I was taken back....last time at 6am it was a 45 minute process. Flying in/out again this coming weekend so we'll see if there are lots of travelers for labor day....but at 4-7pm almost all of C was a ghost town, I don't understand why there would be more expansion...IMO.

WesternA318

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am

Falcon,

Anything rumored about adding a CLE-SLC leg again sometime, even if seasonal?

CALTECH

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 53):
ASA's are agent; CSR's are red coats. So we're hiring another class of agents, which will be about our third or fourth class of ASA's to be hired. But while CSR's are technically agents, CSR's are hired from the ASA group, or, sometimes, as happened earlier this year, from outside the company, which is rare, but does happen.

Haven't heard anything about a expansion in Cleveland down here in Orlando. Have to wait and see in September.
You are here.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 55):
Nothing is worse than D28 or whatever it is down there at the end, the "overflow" gate during the hub pushes. 80 or so seats for 5 ERJ's.

D28 and D17 are, indeed, "the dump zones." Meaning during irregular ops, flights just get piled up over there. Fun fun fun, I tell ya!
Work Right, Fly Hard

Tornado82

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 59):
D28 and D17 are, indeed, "the dump zones." Meaning during irregular ops, flights just get piled up over there.

It's not just Irregular Ops time... the inbound and outbound ABE E135's used to be there consistently when I lived out in the Lehigh Valley, despite being on time almost every time. I used to bet coworkers on it and win a drink at that little sports bar in D. Seeing my boarding pass print out and say D28 used to make me cringe.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 60):

The Pier setups are as follows:

D28-Commutair.

D25: Some Commutair, some RJ's.

D21: Mostly Chautauqua, with the occasional ExpressJet thrown in.

D17: Mostly Chautauqua, with some ExpressJet thrown in.
Work Right, Fly Hard

joeman

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting 747LUVR (Reply 56):
I don't understand why there would be more expansion...IMO.

I agree when it comes to the rumor of more gate or new concourse at this point in time. We'll see.

cle757

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Larry visits co-workers on tour of CLE’s terminal

Larry made a planned visit with co-workers at CLE today. He toured the terminal with hub Sr. Director Robbie Anderson, meeting with dozens of employees and getting a first-hand look at the progress on the remodeling of the baggage service area. After attending an employee burger burn, Larry visited the new maintenance facility area, where he presented awards to Technicians Rob Treiber and Bob Weincek and thanked them for coming to the aid of a customer with a serious medical concern. “Thanks for all you do in taking care of our customers,” said Larry. Before departing CLE, Larry stopped by Terminal D and visited with co-workers there.

EWR and CLE hubs brace for more traffic

The EWR and CLE hubs will see a lot more passenger traffic over the Labor Day period compared to this time last year. Advance bookings indicate EWR’s traffic will rise 10 percent, or about 18,000 more passengers. CLE will experience 13,000 additional passengers, or an 18 percent increase. Passenger traffic at IAH will be comparable to 2006.

Tornado82

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 61):

The Pier setups are as follows:

Is that since the dash 8's and CHQ came to town? That was about when I left ABE and stopped transiting CLE as much, and stopped paying attention. I'm almost positive that circa 2006 D28 was my "free drinks" gate.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 64):
Is that since the dash 8's and CHQ came to town?

Correct. And supposedly the piers will go thorugh more changes as the Q series of whatever size become the norm, and the Beeches dissapear.
Work Right, Fly Hard

md90fan

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 24):
Strange CO hasn't tried some Caribbean/Centralamerican markets out of CLE yet: MBJ, AUA, SJO/LIR

They do CLE-NAS, albeit with a bizzare schedule.

BTW, anybody see the Anthony Bourdain's: No Reservations episode about Cleveland this past Monday? Big grin
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

cle757

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 66):
They do CLE-NAS, albeit with a bizzare schedule.

CLE-NAS and CLE-CUN run every Saturday except during times in Sept/Oct....They both operate Sundays ocasionally

masseybrown

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
He will be back here for a CEO Exchange on Sep. 14th, and it is expected at that time, that the expansion announcement will be made.

I hope you're wrong about the 14th. It's a Friday and that's a terrible day to announce anything business related - it more or less guarantees minimal impact, since nobody reports much but disasters after noon on Friday and, if it does get covered, it's in the Saturday editions which are the least read (or watched) of the week.

Maybe any major announcement will be made on Thursday, followed by the CEO exchange on Friday.  crossfingers 

TrvlnMan

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 68):
I hope you're wrong about the 14th. It's a Friday and that's a terrible day to announce anything business related - it more or less guarantees minimal impact, since nobody reports much but disasters after noon on Friday and, if it does get covered, it's in the Saturday editions which are the least read (or watched) of the week.

If this is the case, I bet a few of us would be sure to read the paper on the 15th.....

joeman

Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 69):
Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 68):

If this is the case, I bet a few of us would be sure to read the paper on the 15th.....

I certainly will be and within the next few days following and hoping we're not looking at yet another speculative time frame since spring 2007.

fun2fly

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Joeman (Reply 70):
I certainly will be and within the next few days following and hoping we're not looking at yet another speculative time frame since spring 2007.

Right, Joeman. We've had no less than 4 threads about the CLE expansion and still don't have anything to show for it! Don't even have CLD>CDG loaded in the system on top of it. Funny, just seems like another day in CLE.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting FUN2FLY (Reply 71):
Don't even have CLD>CDG loaded in the system on top of it. Funny, just seems like another day in CLE.

Due to be loaded in the computer in October.
Work Right, Fly Hard

SANFan

Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:18 am

I thought CO might have taken an encouraging step in the "Grow Hopkins" direction by leaving the SAN-CLE flight for the winter rather than letting it disappear on 9-29 (as I guess originally planned.)

It continues to baffle me that the SEA-CLE flight WILL continue all winter -- I can't think of anything more appealing than flying between those 2 cities in January and February... I guess it's all the wonderful cruise opportunities in the winter from Seattle that will feed the flight.  stirthepot 

I will say that I am pleased that CO at least left the SAN-CLE flight all summer and I do hope that eventually it will be a permanent, year-round offering, maybe even with a morning SAN departure rather than the current e/b red-eye.

bb

joeman

Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 73):
It continues to baffle me that the SEA-CLE flight WILL continue all winter

Funny, After all these years which started with UA in the 1970's... CLE-SEA has been specifically cited by Ricky Smith several times as one of those he and his team were interested in establishing regular service to. I checked a website once or twice which showed this route to have about the same or more O&D than CLE-TPA.

We've had no less than 4 threads about the CLE expansion and still don't have anything to show for it!

On the bright side, there's been the announcement of new CLE-OKC and CLE-YOW. Of course, I don't know if anything is being sacrificd to make way for them. Also, we're promised CLE-CDG will be loaded into the computer soon.

SANFan

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 am

Quoting Joeman (Reply 74):
CLE-SEA has been specifically cited by Ricky Smith several times as one of those he and his team were interested in establishing regular service to. I checked a website once or twice which showed this route to have about the same or more O&D than CLE-TPA.

Well, see, now that's part of my head-scratching; for 1Q07, DOT shows CLE-SEA at 138 daily O&D pax, CLE-SAN at 175 pax (and, BTW, CLE-TPA at 581!) If CO wants to run CLE-SEA year-'round with that kind of winter traffic, fine, but I just can't figure out why NOT fly to San Diego as well? There certainly could be (must be) other factors like yield, connecting traffic thru CLE that's much greater from SEA than SAN (?), incentives, or ...

I did look up 3Q06 just for giggles and found that during last July-August-Sept, SEA-CLE was 293 O&D pax/day, SAN-CLE shows 234 (and TPA had 515 but after all, it is less than half the distance from CLE as the west coast.)

Just another case of the schedule planners/marketing folks knowing a lot more than I do about where the planes should be flying...

bb

RJdxer

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 26):
As for wide-body service, other than the odd charter and diversion, the biggest CO metal there will be the 757-300.

Like I've said before, until you see the truck unloading the CO can loaders, and another truck droping off the extra cans and dollies to move them around with, regular wide body service will remain the fantasy. They'll have to deliver those with enough time to train people on them. The damage you can do with a belt loader pales in comparison to what you can do with a can loader.

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 31):
do believe you mean SOUTH of concourse C. So if I get you right...you are talking about behind FedEx and near the postal road? Between the firehouse and the IX?

Talk about a hike! Still, they measure the distance between B, C, and E at IAH in thousands of feet.

We've had no less than 4 threads about the CLE expansion and still don't have anything to show for it!

It's getting to be like the long running Peter Max thread.

I think CLE is going to have to see a significant increase in traffic before any new concourses are built. What would be nice is if they built a covered and secure walk way between D and the main terminal building to eliminate that ghastly walk through the tunnel and down C. It would eliminate the drive around the concourse for the aircraft but how many ac actually do that now?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

N231YE

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 76):
It's getting to be like the long running Peter Max thread.

Think us Clevelanders should start a Cleveland Aviation Thread  wink 

RJdxer

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 77):
Think us Clevelanders should start a Cleveland Aviation Thread

And a petition to get the city of Cleveland to buy the old Ford foundry plant now that it is closing down. Aside from the tank plant or buying up more homes to the north of the airport like they did in the 70's, that's the only way the airport is ever going to get anymore land to develop. That would be big news, if the city came out and said it had reached an agreement with Ford to buy that land.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 78):
And a petition to get the city of Cleveland to buy the old Ford foundry plant now that it is closing down. Aside from the tank plant or buying up more homes to the north of the airport like they did in the 70's, that's the only way the airport is ever going to get anymore land to develop.

Agreed. Now, even if CLE got that land, it would take years to develop it, and redo the roadways to get in/out of an expanded airport. The best use, to my mind, is to make a new N/S runway, where the terminal sits well in between the two, to allow simultaneous in any weather conditions.
Work Right, Fly Hard

calpsafltskeds

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 73):

I will say that I am pleased that CO at least left the SAN-CLE flight all summer and I do hope that eventually it will be a permanent, year-round offering, maybe even with a morning SAN departure rather than the current e/b red-eye.

According to CO's PC timetable, the SAN-CLE service will go from a redeye eastbound/late pm westound to a morning west and midday east for just the month of September. I'm not sure that's all about - maybe CO's trying to see if that time is better than the current round trip. In the recent past the flight has returned for holiday operations.

CO operated CLE-SAN-CLE as a 735 evening west/redeye east years ago and the FA's ran it as a turn. Quite efficient as CO could easily dump Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Saturdays. However, canceling the round trip would happen if the westbound ran late due to the SAN curfew. It was then changed to a daytime operation and I could see the handwriting on the wall that it would soon get chopped since it took airplane time to operate. The fact is that the current schedule late west/redeye east doesn't use any aircraft time (except removing a MX opportunity at CLE).

Unless there's a real maintenance reason to sit the aircraft in CLE or CO's short of crew time, this trip should be year around with midweek cancellations during the non-summer/holiday periods. While the 738 may be a little large off peak, it needs to swap out in SAN with a EWR or IAH trip, but the trip is only costing fuel and crew time.

fun2fly

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting N917ME (Reply 48):
Actually, accoding to the CO website, CLE is hiring 50, yes 50, CSA (Ramp) agents in CLE. That seems like alot.

In CO's request for state and city funding for the expansion, the cited that CO would hire 700 more people. If that takes 5+ years, figure 100 people + to hire annually. This seems in line with those expectations.

RJdxer

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:39 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 79):
Now, even if CLE got that land, it would take years to develop it, and redo the roadways to get in/out of an expanded airport. The best use, to my mind, is to make a new N/S runway, where the terminal sits well in between the two, to allow simultaneous in any weather conditions.

Forget the new terminal..there is just not enough traffic to support it. Flatten everything east of 237 over to I71 and build a runway. Connect it to the main terminal by building a bridge/taxiway over 237. Then you can have siml take offs and approaches for real. The new terminal is something that City Council will fight over for years.

N231YE

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 82):

If the City of Cleveland had alot of money (or if the city could better manage it), It would be nice to add the new runway over the Ford site, put OH-237, RTA Red Line, and the Norfolk Southern Railroad (former NYCRR Water Level Route) in a tunnel, build a new terminal complex, and demolish the old one(s)-a la DTW.

cle757

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Continental just posted another 50 ramp jobs for CLE on Continental.com.

dimoko

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 77):
Think us Clevelanders should start a Cleveland Aviation Thread

come over to opshots.net. cleveland discussions going on all the time!
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -- Douglas Adams

N231YE

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Dimoko (Reply 85):
come over to opshots.net. cleveland discussions going on all the time!

I'm already there...been a member for the past few months

greenair727

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:56 am

CO's August numbers--though shown as systemwide, not by station/hub--show impressive growth, which hopefully ensures that the CLE expansion will indeed happen.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=PRNEWS

747luvr

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 am

The last 2 monday's I flew CO CLE-MCO, both load's were extremely light....on the 738, we had 29 passengers, and the 733 we had 42 so go fig.....

lincoln

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting 747LUVR (Reply 88):
The last 2 monday's I flew CO CLE-MCO,

Given that CLE-MCO is largely a leisure market and most of the kids are back in school, I don't know that this particularly means anything especially since I would expect the majority of the "flow", especially on a Monday to be northbound (i.e. families returning from vacation rather than starting it)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

joeman

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting 747LUVR (Reply 88):
The last 2 monday's I flew CO CLE-MCO, both load's were extremely light....on the 738, we had 29 passengers, and the 733 we had 42 so go fig.....

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 89):
Given that CLE-MCO is largely a leisure market and most of the kids are back in school, I don't know that this particularly means anything especially since I would expect the majority of the "flow", especially on a Monday to be northbound (i.e. families returning from vacation rather than starting it)

Lincoln

I'm sure that's true, unlike my roundtrip CLE-MCO in July which were both quite packed.

BNinMSY

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

Define imminent................

cle757

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:37 pm

Good Job Co employees!!

Larry announces August $100 on-time incentive
Larry advised Payroll to cut $100 on-time incentive checks for August for each eligible employee, to be paid with the mid-month September checks.

CO placed first among the network carriers (American, CO, Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways) with a 75.3 Department of Transportation on-time performance for August.

“Even with all of the weather-related challenges we endured last month, I couldn’t be happier with our teamwork,” said Larry. “Congratulations on earning this on-time incentive. I can assure you that our customers are noticing your hard work. It really makes a difference.”

Eligible co-workers (grade 45 and below) receive $100 when CO comes in first among the six network carriers in on-time performance. Co-workers receive $65 when CO is No. 2 or No. 3 among the six network carriers or when CO’s on-time performance is 80 percent or better, even if the company does not finish in the top three.

This marks the seventh time this year that co-workers have earned the on-time incentive and the second $100 on-time incentive this year.

747luvr

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:17 am

Yes, my MCO-CLE flights were pretty full.....must be more people going up then coming down. Fair's fair.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:33 am

Well, we'll find out if there's any substance to all these rumors within the week. Kellner will be addressing employess in CLE on Friday the 14th at 1pm. He mentioned when he was here in the spring that an announcement on CLE would be forthcoming on his next visit. Well, that visit is Friday. We'll see what he has to say. I'm betting you'll hear about some major flight expansion.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dutchjet

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 94):
Well, we'll find out if there's any substance to all these rumors within the week. Kellner will be addressing employess in CLE on Friday the 14th at 1pm. He mentioned when he was here in the spring that an announcement on CLE would be forthcoming on his next visit. Well, that visit is Friday. We'll see what he has to say. I'm betting you'll hear about some major flight expansion.

Count on it......from what I have heard, CLE will be quite pleased with what Kellner has to say next Friday. Stay tuned.

piercey

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 94):

Well well, I fly out of CLE on the 14th to DEN. This could be cool.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 95):
Count on it......from what I have heard, CLE will be quite pleased with what Kellner has to say next Friday. Stay tuned.

Now I'm really hyped!

cloudnine 

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

fun2fly

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 96):
Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 95):

Now I'm really hyped!

Exactly - Dutchjet is usually right on. Hope this finally happens!

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am

Ok, is this perhaps imminent enough? :}

From CO's Daily News Update 9-11-07

The first of the fall series of CEO Exchanges is scheduled for Cleveland Friday, Sept. 14, at 1 p.m. at the Marriott Airport. Employees will receive a corporate update, including information about future CLE growth plans. Larry and Jeff will also meet with elected officials during their visit.
Work Right, Fly Hard

lincoln

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 98):
CEO Exchanges

Based on the title, I have a feeling this is a stupid question, but are the "CEO Exchanges" open to the general public or only to invited VIPs? Any way to get a company on the 'invited VIPs list?

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos