Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84
Topic Author

Rumor: CO CLE Expansion Annoucment Imminent

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:59 am

Still just a rumor, but have heard from more than one person today that the announcement is imminent-perhaps as soon as late this week. Only specific that I've heard was that CO will have a Concourse E built to augment flight expansion. It will be built out near athe CHIA Fire Department, north of Concourse C.

Again, nothing confirmed-yet-but hearing from different sources over the last week or two, something is indeed on the horizon.
Work Right, Fly Hard

HPAEAA

RE: Rumor: CO CLE Expansion Annoucment Imminent

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:27 am

No offence Falcon, but why would CLE build another concourse? why not expand A? or CO add more banks? after all the rumors and lack of extensive extensive growth in the past 3 years or announced it just doesn't seem likely....
1.4mm and counting...

DL WIDGET HEAD

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 1):
but why would CLE build another concourse? why not expand A? or CO add more banks?

Indeed. I was in CLE last month for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon and the place was a ghost town for a while. The concourse seems pretty nice but under utilized. I would be surprised if this rumor comes to fruition.

lincoln

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 am

why not expand A?

Admitedly my CHIA geography is kind of whack and I'm not at peak endurance but is it possible that a term E would provide shorter walking distances easier connections from C and D than you could get from A?

I don't think that part of the rumor is true, per se, but I get winded powerwalking from D26 to A-whatever-the-hell-it-is with just my overstuffed laptop bag -- imaging mom with kids, stroller and carryons...going up and down hill, past seeming miles of blank walls...trying to make that connection. (Personally I'd like to see C torndown and replaced with something a little more spacious and brighter...like IAH's E or a mainline CLE-D. I'd even settle for something late '80s

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

HPAEAA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 3):
Admitedly my CHIA geography is kind of whack and I'm not at peak endurance but is it possible that a term E would provide shorter walking distances easier connections from C and D than you could get from A?

I don't think that part of the rumor is true, per se, but I get winded powerwalking from D26 to A-whatever-the-hell-it-is with just my overstuffed laptop bag -- imaging mom with kids, stroller and carryons...going up and down hill, past seeming miles of blank walls...trying to make that connection. (Personally I'd like to see C torndown and replaced with something a little more spacious and brighter...like IAH's E or a mainline CLE-D. I'd even settle for something late '80s

Lincoln

yes yes, I know.. I hoof it ever time I land at 7:30 p.m. from A3 down to the B concourse back to Bag Claim 1 (because TSA need 15 ppl to run 2 lanes at B.. )... but, last I heard A2, 4 and 6 were being given back to the city... easily NW, UA, or DL could be moved over there to allow fro interim renovations in B... the fact that the floor is still there from the old security checkpoint suggest some update could be used... next thought... a design I saw for concourse A allowed for a Banjo at the end of A and the constructions of some additional gates... I believe about 3-4 more... those plus the 3 coming back from AA, that would allow most of B to be relocated, and CO to take over some more gates there... ( I'll bet my next paycheck that check it costs less than a new concourse, and underground connector.)... what's CLE's debt situation like? last I heard didn't something like 1/2 of their revenues go to service debt?
1.4mm and counting...

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:34 am

why not expand A?

Why expand A. It's way to far away from CO's operation on C and D. That makes no sense.

Concourse E is apparently going to happen. And it will happen to handle more flights.

or CO add more banks?

That is going to happen, I'm sure of it. An 10am bank, an 2pm bank, and, maybe someday, a 10pm bank. But sounds like this may be only the beginning of expansion.

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 2):
I would be surprised if this rumor comes to fruition.

Since Concourse E was mentioned by someone in management, I'd be surprised if it isn't true now, to be honest.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N766UA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:44 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 5):
Concourse E is apparently going to happen. And it will happen to handle more flights.

I don't get it, it's just conjecture! CAL hasn't even added any real flights and we're already banking on a new concourse?! What would they put there anyway, more ERJs? How 'bout CAL utilizes the gate space and potential it has, first, then we'll worry about hypothetical concourses.

steeler83

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:53 am

I wonder if this expansion (if it happens) will be domestic, international, or a combination of the two... I believe CO added a transatlantic route recently, did they not?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 6):
I don't get it, it's just conjecture!

I think this time it's more than that. I could be wrong, and have been on this stuff,but it's just coming from too many people all at once.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 6):
CAL hasn't even added any real flights and we're already banking on a new concourse?!

New flights would happen before a new concourse, seems to me.

We'll find out soon enough, that's for sure.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

as739x

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:59 am

Didn't they just announce they would not be launching CDG service? So now they are expanding. I'm having trouble putting my finger on CO at CLE. I hope for a great expansion, but it seems as though its expansion is based on the flip of a coin sometimes.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

HPAEAA

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 7):
I wonder if this expansion (if it happens) will be domestic, international, or a combination of the two... I believe CO added a transatlantic route recently, did they not?

Yes, 1 seasonal...(CDG)

Quoting AS739X (Reply 9):
Didn't they just announce they would not be launching CDG service? So now they are expanding. I'm having trouble putting my finger on CO at CLE. I hope for a great expansion, but it seems as though its expansion is based on the flip of a coin sometimes.

Yes, they announced it.. it still hasn't started... I don't hope for great expansion... I wish for the best, but the fact of the matter is there are faster growing O/D markets in this country... In recent years, massive growth vs. slow O/D markets hasn't fared well, just ask the ppl at CVG (DL), PIT (US), IND (TZ), SJC (AA) SAT (UA)... I hope that CLE works on their balance sheet vs. the past few years where they have focused on CO.. Yes the hub brings benefits, however UA, DL, WN have both downsized their capacity... AA, US (old US and heritage HP), and NW have pulled their mainline staff in favor of express staff all of which have lower labor cost and limited mainline capabilities... the capacity is shrinking of the competition in favor of a monopoly.. CO is not the answer, neither is a 100 million dollar new concourse (when it can be voided in CH 11)...
1.4mm and counting...

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 9):
Didn't they just announce they would not be launching CDG service?

No, that was a rumor. CDG should be in the compute within a month or so.
Work Right, Fly Hard

masseybrown

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Still just a rumor, but have heard from more than one person today that the announcement is imminent-perhaps as soon as late this week.

I believe Larry Kellner, CEO of CO, is supposed to be in Cleveland on Wednesday, so that may be the day for whatever is going to happen.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 12):
I believe Larry Kellner, CEO of CO, is supposed to be in Cleveland on Wednesday, so that may be the day for whatever is going to happen.

I couldn't remember if it was Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks for getting me straight. And, again, this was partly from a member of management, who mentioned Concourse E to a Supervisor, so I'm betting it's true.
Work Right, Fly Hard

lincoln

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 4):
. from A3 down to the B concourse back to Bag Claim 1 (because TSA need 15 ppl to run 2 lanes at B.. )...

Don't get me started on that. Invariably when I'm getting in to CLE after 10 or so we park somewhere between C22 and C26, the "C" checkpoint is closed, and we're on bag claim belt 10 (or 9 If I'm really lucky)...talk about wasted walking!

I can almost understand staffing the checkpoint going in to the concourse...but how many people do you need sitting on a cheap barstool staring off into space to gaurd people leaving the concourse? One? Maybe two? How much does that really cost? Hell pay me and I'd do it a few nights a week.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

mnevans

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:04 pm

I can't wait to see what the announcement is! Can anybody say regular wide-body service back to CLE? (or at least hope for it!!) Just a question, how long did D take to build? If a new terminal was to be built what would be the timeframe, 5 years? One more question, what is the difference between a concourse and a terminal?

tjwgrr

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:14 pm

Maybe Larry's gonna announce the resurrection of CAL Lite with CLE as the hub to compete against Skybus.....  dopey 
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

as739x

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 11):

Good to hear!

ASSFO

N231YE

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:25 pm

By the way, Concourse D's gates are going to be reconfigured to allow for 3 Q400s, as well as room for a few 737s, if needed. Concourse C will lose a few gates, due to the fact that CO's 737s that now have the blended winglets create a tight squeeze in the gates.

Other info on CO at CLE:

The Q400s should be in CLE in January
The BE1900s should be gone by June

747fan

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting Mnevans (Reply 15):
I can't wait to see what the announcement is! Can anybody say regular wide-body service back to CLE?

Don't get your hope up on that. There's maybe a small chance CO will launch CLE-Honolulu w/ a 767, but don't put your hopes up. Any additional Europe flights will most likely be 757's (LGW and soon CDG are 757's) - I could see them maybe launching CLE-AMS in the future. Most of the domestic expansion will likely be w/ ERJ's and Q400's, maybe some additonal mainline 737 flights.

as739x

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 18):

What will happen to Commutair? Will they be Dash-8 only and then Colgan flying the Q400?

ASSFO

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 19):
Most of the domestic expansion will likely be w/ ERJ's and Q400's, maybe some additonal mainline 737 flights.

In the next two years, CO takes delivery of 30 new 737's. And another rumor going around is that CO mainline out of CLE would be doubled by the end of '08.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 20):
What will happen to Commutair? Will they be Dash-8 only and then Colgan flying the Q400?

Commutair will still fly the Q200's. Colgan will supposedly fly the Q400's. Also heard a Commutair Captain say that they will fly some Q300's, which is a 50-seater. Don't know about that.
Work Right, Fly Hard

mnevans

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:29 am

There's maybe a small chance CO will launch CLE-Honolulu w/ a 767, but don't put your hopes up.

Anything is better then the occasional football charter!

as739x

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 21):

I know they have more -200 coming from Horizon. So maybe that will be their expansion! Personally I don't see Commute buying new Q300 new.

ASSFO

2travel2know

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:50 am

Strange CO hasn't tried some Caribbean/Centralamerican markets out of CLE yet: MBJ, AUA, SJO/LIR
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

EXAAUADL

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 2):
Indeed. I was in CLE last month for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon and the place was a ghost town for a while

SA)">CO does deep deep schedule reductions on weekends, especially SA afternoon and SU morning

EWRCabincrew

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:57 am

There's maybe a small chance CO will launch CLE-Honolulu w/ a 767, but don't put your hopes up.

Chances are three. Slim, fat and none.

As for wide-body service, other than the odd charter and diversion, the biggest CO metal there will be the 757-300.
You can't cure stupid

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 25):
SA)">CO does deep deep schedule reductions on weekends, especially SA afternoon and SU morning

Saturday is three very large omni-directional banks: 9am, noon/1pm and 5/6pm, and a few flights after 7pm.
Work Right, Fly Hard

joeman

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 12):

Hope so, we went through this just last spring when the bigwigs came to town, only to learn that there was now some expansion competition thing being handed to the three hubs dependent on how much cash they could kick in. (even if it was only spin).

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Joeman (Reply 28):
Hope so, we went through this just last spring when the bigwigs came to town, only to learn that there was now some expansion competition thing being handed to the three hubs dependent on how much cash they could kick in. (even if it was only spin).

It was a spin to get the city/state to help with expansion plans. Kellner said they would have news later in the year, and now that they have city/state money in hand, or promised, it looks like we'll get some news very soon.
Work Right, Fly Hard

joeman

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
It was a spin to get the city/state to help with expansion plans. Kellner said they would have news later in the year, and now that they have city/state money in hand, or promised, it looks like we'll get some news very soon

I think you're right, it looks very promising.

rampkontroler

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:57 am

I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath... (been there, done that, passed out!) I do hope to see some real improvements to the infrastructure somewhere someday...it's long overdue.

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
It will be built out near athe CHIA Fire Department, north of Concourse C.

I do believe you mean SOUTH of concourse C.  Wink So if I get you right...you are talking about behind FedEx and near the postal road? Between the firehouse and the IX?

tsnamm

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 26):

Chances are three. Slim, fat and none.

checkmark  CO is so short of widebodies for Intl expansion from EWR and IAH, there's no way in hell they will waste one from CLE to HNL for 200 OnePass mile cash in pax to take a vacation...

mnevans

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 32):

checkmark CO is so short of widebodies for Intl expansion from EWR and IAH, there's no way in hell they will waste one from CLE to HNL for 200 OnePass mile cash in pax to take a vacation...

If indeed they do build a new terminal, it would be done I would guess somewhere in the range of 2-3 years? By that time, CO would be taking delivery of its 787-8's freeing up some 762ER's, correct? I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but this would look to be a 2-3 year in the future deal....

[Edited 2007-08-28 21:44:03]

atlaaron

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:44 am

Could this be why CO is looking to hire 15 CSR's in CLE?

jetpixx

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:54 am

Continental needs to greatly expand the check-in area and the security entrances need to be brought up to speed with other US airports. The security area is a joke and the terminals can be a bottleneck with passengers if it is really busy.

Look, I love CLE - I grew up there and it hasn't changed at all, with the exception of the addition of Concourse D and some airlines moving here or there. Other than that, it is the same 25 years later as it was when I was a small kid returning to visit my grandparents.

I hope for some grandiose plans of a mid-field terminal similar to DTW and IND, but I just don't see it. They could use that if they were to go the way of DTW and basically re-build the entire airport. It would be great for jobs in Cleveland.

Again, I remain skeptical.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

N766UA

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 34):

Uh, 15 is a drop in the bucket. If it was 300 I might say it's related, but 15?!

atlaaron

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 36):
Uh, 15 is a drop in the bucket. If it was 300 I might say it's related, but 15?!

HAHA I had no idea. Scratch that up as a head up . . .

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am

Update:

The announcement will not be on Wedensday, although we've been told when Larry is here, that we can try to bribe him for information.  Big grin

He will be back here for a CEO Exchange on Sep. 14th, and it is expected at that time, that the expansion announcement will be made. And still hearing a new concourse is in the offing.

Also a good source of mine (a regular employee, but he's right on many times), said he heard Colgan may lose the rights to fly the Q400's because of training issues, and that Commutair is hot on getting those Q400's into CLE.
Work Right, Fly Hard

piercey

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:28 am

Oh man, I will take back a lot of negative things I've said about CLE if a new terminal comes. This is just... wow....

biggrin 

piercey in CLE  expressionless 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Klima

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:57 am

As a Clevelander, I hope it's true.

WesternA318

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:05 am

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 16):
Maybe Larry's gonna announce the resurrection of CAL Lite with CLE as the hub to compete against Skybus.....

Lordy I hope not, lol, although I'm sure he'd onlyuse ERJ's for such an operation, LMAO

747fan

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 26):
As for wide-body service, other than the odd charter and diversion, the biggest CO metal there will be the 757-300.

checkmark  Nothing will change at CLE in terms of the biggest plane that flies into there, the 757-300 (actually the biggest plane that flies into CLE is a 5x weekly UPS A300 to/from SDF). I know CO did divert a 777 operating the PEK-EWR route there a few months ago. But unfortunately for CLE spotters, other than the occasional divert or NFL charter, the biggest CO plane you'll see is a 757. But fortunately...

In the next two years, CO takes delivery of 30 new 737's. And another rumor going around is that CO mainline out of CLE would be doubled by the end of '08.

...if that rumor turns out to be true, this would be great for CLEBig grin

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:25 am

There's maybe a small chance CO will launch CLE-Honolulu w/ a 767,

No chance whatsoever. Additional frequencies from IAH and/or EWR would come long before CLE, nevermind the shortage of widebodies, and which could be deployed on higher yielding routes. Plus, Hawaii routes outside of the West Coast other than from mega-hubs/mega O&D centers have not performed well in the past few years.

Commutair will still fly the Q200's. Colgan will supposedly fly the Q400's. Also heard a Commutair Captain say that they will fly some Q300's, which is a 50-seater. Don't know about that.

No Q300's, just Q200's

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 24):
Strange CO hasn't tried some Caribbean/Centralamerican markets out of CLE yet: MBJ, AUA, SJO/LIR

At best they could attempt seasonal/weekend service. Even that is questionable based on the amount of feed into CLE.

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 31):
I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath... (been there, done that, passed out!) I do hope to see some real improvements to the infrastructure somewhere someday...it's long overdue.

The CLE rumors are starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf. We aren't going to believe it if/when it happens.

Normal attrition

Quoting Jetpixx (Reply 35):
I hope for some grandiose plans of a mid-field terminal similar to DTW and IND, but I just don't see it. They could use that if they were to go the way of DTW and basically re-build the entire airport. It would be great for jobs in Cleveland.

All that would cause is higher landing fees & facility leases, hardly what the CLE tenants need or want. Unless CO completely rallies around it and throws in a ton of change or the city completely underwrites it then no way. Considering the work that is being done at IAH and needs to be done at EWR, I would venture that CO's involvement at CLE for large small facility upgrades will be minimal. Small renovations/improvements - I'll give you that.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
Also a good source of mine (a regular employee, but he's right on many times), said he heard Colgan may lose the rights to fly the Q400's because of training issues, and that Commutair is hot on getting those Q400's into CLE.

Haven't heard those rumors. Anyways, I can't imagine that Commutair would have a better time than Colgan. For both of them its a big step up.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 am

CSR's, in CO's system, are Customer Service Representatives-the Red Coats, not rampers. And 15 would be significant. So, if it is 15 CO CSR's, that's quite an increase in CSR strength, since CSR, on average, have a zone of 3 to 4 gates at a time.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 36):

Uh, again, in CO's lingo, you'd never need 300 CSR's in CLE.

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 37):
HAHA I had no idea. Scratch that up as a head up . . .

I've set you straight.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

N766UA

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 44):
Uh, again, in CO's lingo, you'd never need 300 CSR's in CLE.

Ahhh, red coats. See I was thinking he just meant CSAs, which obviously 15 wouldn't be much of anything seeing as I've ridden the bus with more CSAs at one time. My mistake!

N231YE

Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 42):
(actually the biggest plane that flies into CLE is a 5x weekly UPS A300 to/from SDF)

Don't forget about the 2x day, 5x days/week(?) FX A300s.

as739x

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey guys. Is anyone using the hangar north of the terminal? I know ExpressJet parks planes there, but what about inside?

ASSFO

n917me

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 43):

Normal attrition

Actually, accoding to the CO website, CLE is hiring 50, yes 50, CSA (Ramp) agents in CLE. That seems like alot.

atlaaron

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 44):
CSR's, in CO's system, are Customer Service Representatives-the Red Coats, not rampers. And 15 would be significant. So, if it is 15 CO CSR's, that's quite an increase in CSR strength, since CSR, on average, have a zone of 3 to 4 gates at a time.

Then I was right, it is a big deal. They are hiring the 50 Ramp Agents as mentioned above and they also HAD a posting up for 15 "Airport Sales Agents" which talked about selling tickets, tagging bags, etc. That would be a CSR. However, I checked this morning and that posting has been removed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos