Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bcoz
Topic Author

Talk Of COU/ORD RJ Service

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:11 am

Today's Columbia Daily Tribune reports that "extremely sensitive" negotations are underway with an "unnamed airline" to begin twice-daily RJ service between Columbia and Chicago. I have to assume that we are talking UAX or Eagle here and "Chicago" means ORD...although stranger things have happened before.

Seems they are trying to pool together $2 million in loss protection for the airline.

Wish they would have had RJ service back when I was a student at Mizzou. We only had the TransStates J31s and J41s.

http://showmenews.com/2007/Aug/20070828News001.asp

bcoz

[Edited 2007-08-28 21:12:10]

Cubsrule

RE: Talk Of COU/ORD RJ Service

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:25 am

I said in another thread a while ago that COU ought to be after service to ORD, and I think that the service is more viable long-term than prop service to MCI or STL because of the existence of a legitimate local market (as well as vastly better connecting opportunities at ORD as compared to MCI particularly but also, increasingly, STL).

XJ to MEM might also be something that could work.

quickmover

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:29 am

I wish they would think about UAX service to DEN.
Or maybe Lynx Q400 service to DEN. Service to MCI or STL is nice, but not really needed considering the short drive. ORD, DEN, ATL, or DFW would open up not only the local o/d traffic that won't drive that distance, but also an enourmous number of connections at any of these hubs.

[Edited 2007-08-28 21:30:34]

[Edited 2007-08-28 21:59:43]

chase

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:33 am

> Executive Director Jim Divincen pitched the idea of changing the airport’s name to include Lake of the Ozarks
Huh. Interesting. LotO is kind of far from COU, but I guess there's nothing closer that has any better chance of getting service.

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 2):
Service to MCI or STL is nice, but not really needed

Not sure how much I agree here. For instance, I am going IND-COU in December. I've opted to drive that trip, but really IND-ORD-COU wouldn't be that much different to me than IND-MCI-COU. On the other hand, ORD would be a better connection point for most, since MANY more cities have non-stop service to ORD than to MCI. Of course, we're not talking about *replacing* the MCI service with ORD, so always better to have more service.
Curious to know if it's AA or UA...

quickmover

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 3):
Not sure how much I agree here. For instance, I am going IND-COU in December. I've opted to drive that trip, but really IND-ORD-COU wouldn't be that much different to me than IND-MCI-COU. On the other hand, ORD would be a better connection point for most, since MANY more cities have non-stop service to ORD than to MCI.

I never thought about it that way. You're right. Any connection point is better than none. I was just thinking about the local traffic.

CIDFlyer

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 am

I would guess it would be UA service since AA is short on planes (although there probably would be a decent sized amount of AAdvantage members in the area since AA served the airport before not to mention any TWA to AA converts)

freshlove1

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:23 am

They need to get something in there as after this current EAS contract to MCI is up Air Midwest will be leaving. COU is a nice little airport that could probably do real well with ORD service. The only thing they would have to look into is expanding that departure lounge as it is not the biggest.

bluejackets

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:37 pm

This is great news for the Columbia/Jefferson City/University of Missouri area. It would finally be air service that makes sense for the many university faculty and staff that connect to large domestic and international cities for research, meetings, etc. ORD is a hub the community should be connected with. Not to mention the students and the combined residents of the Columbia/Jefferson City area. Let's hope this deal gets done.

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 5):
I would guess it would be UA service since AA is short on planes (although there probably would be a decent sized amount of AAdvantage members in the area since AA served the airport before not to mention any TWA to AA converts)

I would lean towards AA because of that FF base, which is also attributed to the mini-hub at STL that many residents of the area drive to.

Also, AA has the ability to put an E135 on the route with only 37 seats as opposed the 50-seaters of UA out of ORD. I would think COU would be the kind of market for an ER3, at least to start off.

Quoting Chase (Reply 3):
Executive Director Jim Divincen pitched the idea of changing the airport's name to include Lake of the Ozarks
Huh. Interesting. LotO is kind of far from COU, but I guess there's nothing closer that has any better chance of getting service.

Are they really trying that hard for leisure traffic? I think that name could detract from some of the business passengers headed to the university or the city of Columbia itself.

Quoting Bcoz (Thread starter):
"Chicago" means ORD...although stranger things have happened before.

Now, that's an idea. WN to COU....

chase

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):
I was just thinking about the local traffic.

Ah...I see where you're coming from now. Yes, I agree, if we' re just talking O/D traffic here, no real point in having service to a destination only 2 hours away. Especially since many COU-MCI or COU-STL pax would probably have at least a 15-minute drive on both ends just getting to/from the airport.

bcoz
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:28 pm

The O/D traffic between COU and ORD, I think, would be huge. Chicagoland has the largest concentration of MU students outside of the state of Missouri.

Also....if its AA and they REALLY wanted to get tricky, I bet you a 1X daily ER3 to DFW would do well too.

bcoz

[Edited 2007-08-29 16:29:56]

EXAAUADL

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:32 pm

WN with a big presence 100 miles away in STL and 100 miels away in MCI really kills COU potential.

I would think a city like COU could support:

3-5x daily to DFW
3-5x daily to ORD
2-3x daily to MEM
2x Daily to DEN.

SPI is in a similar situation.

Anyone know how SPI-IAD is doing?

quickmover

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 10):
2x Daily to DEN.

I think the Ski traffic alone would be enough to support this. Maybe a Q400 city for F9?

commavia

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:51 pm

I too suspect that it is probably AA/Eagle, and not United. AA's base at STL, which used to serve COU, still could probably draw AA FFs, as others have mentioned. Not to mention that, as others have also said, I definitely think AA could easily fill a daily ERJ from COU to DFW. Personal opinion: I doubt an ER3 would be sent on COU-ORD. Eagle doesn't fly ER3s in and out of ORD on a regularly scheduled basis, if I'm not mistaken. They all stay pretty much up and down the east coast, based at BOS, LGA, JFK and RDU.

access-air

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 am

I definately think that 3 well timed round trips between COU and ORD would be nice. Howewver I am not sure that the EMB-145 seating 50 passengers would be appropriate. How about the EMB-140? doesnt it seat less? However, I do not see the need, as somneone suggested, for 5 roundtrips bewtween COU and ORD....Its that philosophy that is clogging up airports like ORD. Two flights would be nice and three would work better. A mid-day departure to DFW would be nice to supplement the three to ORD and maybe 3-5 to STL using maybe (if it ever happens) Great Lakes Beech 1900s. Assuming, these new flights would be on American. Heck, If they used the EMB-145 they could actually base the plane down in Joplin and run it Joplin to Columbia to ORD....At least then they could possibly be guaranteed that the plane would be full and serve another abandoned city as well....
Unfortunately, with AA's literal destruction of the former TWA hub in STL has put a hardship on many cities that were formerly served with a decent amount of flights. I think the appropriate phrase, "dont fix it if its not broken" could be insterted here. Shifting these flights to ORD and DFW or eliminating the service to cities altogether was the WRONG thing to do.
It simply amazes me that such a descion was made in the first place as STL could have been used a reliever to both DFW and ORD. Now we have too much congestion at ORD and now cities like COU have to force travellers back onto the highways. Good going AA..... Sad

Access-Air

mrstl

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:14 am

Ok, here is an unconfirmed rumor I have read on USAviation. Supposedly Great Lakes will not be flying as an American Connection carrier for the EAS routes, but rather as a feeder for F9 at STL, yes F9. If true, I'm not sure what it implicates as far as future F9 service at STL. If AA does not capitalize on what it has bought I would like to see another carrier move in an do it. I wish Columbia luck in landing the flights to ORD, but I think if AA is dropping RJ routes like ORF, IAD and COS at ORD, COU is probably pretty low on the list.

[Edited 2007-08-29 18:18:51]

access-air

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:25 am

I think what we need is a 3rd incarnation of Ozark Air Lines in St. Louis. This time flying full size jets and not regioinal jets like FlyI did, but with a philosophy of the old Ozark Air Lines.

Who knows....AlI I know is that some airline needs to come into the STL area and restore all the missing air service that was robbed by AA.

Great Lakes will only work if they can provide a good quality of flights in these markets consisting 3-4 round trips per day, even if they dont match up with Frontier flights, they could match upo with AA or any other cariers.. The name of the game is connectability to ANY airline with flights that will work schedule-wise in STL and Great Lakes has the ticketing and baggage agreements that will help. Whats left are the negotiation of thru fares from COU and other sattellite cities to STL that will be served by Lakes.... That will probably be the most viable solution...None of this two flights a day that dont match up to any convenient flights....

Access-Air

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos