Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Slovacek747
Topic Author

PHL Is A Disgrace

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:27 am

So I've been reading everyone's assessment of PHL and I figured it couldn't be all that bad. Well, Terminal D is an absolute dump. That is the ugliest, small, and most crowded terminal I've seen. I'm sure there are worse but I was very disappointed. It felt dirty and claustrophobic. All in all, I commend CO for a great job but it is too bad they can't get some gates in A-East with American. Terminal A is actually very nice and I spend most of my time waiting there instead of D where I couldn't even find a seat.

There is a new building (terminal?) going up between D and E. Is this a new terminal or something else?

Slovacek747

Bicoastal

RE: PHL Is A Disgrace

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:30 am

We have PHL, MIA, LHR and LAX. Any others need to be on the list?

Maybe we should move this to the Polls and Preferences forum.  Wink
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Slovacek747
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:38 am

I know, I just felt like ranting. I really was in disbelief when I got off the plane in PHL. They need to destroy everything and build it like Terminal A.

What would prevent CO getting gates in A-East like AA?

swaopsusafatc

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 am

The construction is a terminal connector for D and E, some vendors and good spotting..

-Swaops

747fan

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:18 am

Terminal A-West, the USAirways international terminal, is the nicest and newest (completed in 2004) terminal at PHL. Concourse F, USAirways regional terminal, is also nice and relatively new (completed in 2003). A-East, B,C,D , and E are just okay - I wouldn't call them disgraceful, but they're rather crowded, the check-in areas and "connector hallways" seem bare w/ concrete ceilings, and the concourses aren't very spacious. All PHL terminals do seem to have good dining options. Yes, the airport is crowded and often plagued with delays, but is otherwise fine.

Arcrftlvr

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:37 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 1):
We have PHL, MIA, LHR and LAX.

How did LAX make the list? I know there are a few issues, but I hardly call it a disgrace.

PHLBOS

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 2):
What would prevent CO getting gates in A-East like AA?

Other airlines presently occupying them; even US spills some of their interanational traffic onto those gates (departures only). DL will be moving from Terminal E (where they've been since it first opened) to A-East this fall.

At present, PHL doesn't really have any spare gates.

Quoting Slovacek747 (Thread starter):
Terminal D

Due to WN occupying 4 gates at D along with the D-E Connector construction; passenger traffic at that terminal has been a squeeze for the last year or two. The proposed D-E Connector will have 12 security lanes serving both D & E gates when completed and also allow passengers to go from Terminal E to A through D without going through security again.

Quoting Swaopsusafatc (Reply 3):
The construction is a terminal connector for D and E, some vendors and good spotting..

Once that connector is completed; only ticketed passengers will be able to view the airfield/apron.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

jfrworld

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:21 am

IAD Concourse C/D

Feels like a temporary shed (and from what I read, it is)  Silly

Bicoastal

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 5):
How did LAX make the list?

Various threads have trashed it. But no, it's not the worst...but not up to its potential. Feel free to sing its praises.

Quoting Jfrworld (Reply 7):
IAD Concourse C/D

checkmark 
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

747fan

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 am

Well, MIA won't be on that list much longer. Its new South Terminal is opening this week, which looks very nice judging by the pictures and article linked from another thread. And a new North Terminal will also eventually be completed. Concourse A, which will be part of the North Terminal, is pretty new and nice. Some of the other concourses that haven't been redone yet are rather crowded and old, and customs/immigration, security, and check-in (pretty cramped in the older concourses w/ pillars in the way, long lines) can be a mess but that won't be the case in a few years hopefully. Once that's fixed, MIA will be quite a nice airport.

steeler83

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 6):
DL will be moving from Terminal E (where they've been since it first opened) to A-East this fall.

I believe this will open up the gates for WN to move from D to E, right?

Quoting Swaopsusafatc (Reply 3):

... somewhat like the shops and eateries between the US mainline concourses B and C then... That would certainly be a plus, but what about terminal F? I guess that will remain isolated, but linked by the bus/shuttle?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

rafflesking

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:06 am

Terminal F (US Express) is expanding as well. 80,000 more square feet I think - bigger concession area, etc.

That terminal wasn't built to handle stranded passengers - works well for me otherwise.

vega

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:19 am

It would be nice if posters selected their Title a little more carefully. If you wish to trash 20% of something, it's misleading to title the Thread in such a way that it implies ALL or 100%. From your description, a better title would have been PHL - Terminal D is......... All you've done is create another potential opportunity for PHL Bashers to spew generalities. Terminal D & E are scheduled and budgeted for cosmetic upgrades in 2008, including adding 3 gates to "E". These changes are in addition to the already underway combined D-E connector and 12 new security stations. Terminal "A-East" is also scheduled to complete upgrading by end of 2008 to make it more compatible with A-West, including new ticketing, gate and shop areas. Terminal "F" is planned to be redesigned and a Design RFP has either already been, or shortly will be issued. A longer term plan. which is actually already in the budget is to build a new terminal "G", next to "F", by 2012. This may/may not however be compatible with the to-be-selected longer term FAA CEP plan. All airports have their good and bad points and admittedly PHL has a few more than average. You can go through years of posts here and find trash threads about LAX, JFK, LHR, BOS, IAD, ORD, etc.. Makes one wonder if some people look at airports as a destination rather than just an intermediate transfer point between A and B.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

727LOVER

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:06 am

Terminal A is actually very nice and I spend most of my time waiting there instead of D where I couldn't even find a seat.

I'm confused. Doesn't one have to go through security from D to A-east? How can u just walk over to A Is TSA access to all concourses now?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

phlwok

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:26 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 13):
I'm confused. Doesn't one have to go through security from D to A-east? How can u just walk over to A Is TSA access to all concourses now?

Of all the terminals, only E is isolated, requiring a reclear of security to get there from another terminal. D through A-West can be walked; a shuttle connects F.

seatback

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 am

I flew last week from PHL on Comair to CVG. The security line was so long, I wondered if I would get through in the two hours I had before making my flight. To their credit, made it through in about 15 minutes.

The Delta terminal is a disgrace---gum on the carpet, torn seats and that Burger King is awful.

I've grown up loving airports, but this one is on my worst-by-far list.

USAFHummer

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 am

Are there any plans to build a connector from E to F in the secure zone?
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

rafflesking

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting Seatback (Reply 15):
The Delta terminal is a disgrace---gum on the carpet, torn seats and that Burger King is awful.

Agreed, but upgrades are in store (among others, larger screening area and more concessions) after DL moves.

jlbmedia

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:27 am

Below is a link to an article that outlines some future improvements to PHL, including the possibility of new Overseas gates.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/us-air-ho...rtation/10374531.html?puc=googlefi

[Edited 2007-08-30 01:34:16]
JLB54061

PHLBOS

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 16):
Are there any plans to build a connector from E to F in the secure zone?

Not that I'm aware of. Once the D-E Connector is completed, one could just walk from Terminal E to Gate C16 and take the courtesy shuttle.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

N1120A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 8):

Various threads have trashed it. But no, it's not the worst...but not up to its potential. Feel free to sing its praises.

No other airport handles that much O&D and with the comparatively tiny land footprint the airport has, that is all the more impressive.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

steeler83

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Jlbmedia (Reply 18):
Below is a link to an article that outlines some future improvements to PHL, including the possibility of new Overseas gates.

http://www.thestreet.com/s/us-air-ho...glefi

And according to that article:

Quote:
US Airways wants Philadelphia to be one of a handful of locations with nonstop flights to China, India and Tokyo, as well as perhaps two dozen European cities.

I wonder what is meant by that, that they want PHL to be something along the lines of JFK, EWR, ATL and the like? How about CLT?

At least Philly realizes the importance of US at the airport as well as the city and county of Philly. I like the quote, "we're married to US." That sounds very familiar...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

747fan

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting Jlbmedia (Reply 18):

http://www.thestreet.com/s/us-air-ho...glefi

That article referred to USAirways as "USAir" - it drives me out of my mind when people do that!
According to that article PHL only had 60% of flights depart on time, the second worst of any major airport. Now that is disgraceful, not the terminals at PHL which aren't the best (although A-West and even F are quite nice), but certainly not "disgraceful", even if they are crowded. Gum on the floor isn't exactly uncommon in major airports, given all the slobs that pass through them daily.

Slovacek747
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:13 pm

It just seems to me that an airport as busy and important as wouldn't let terminals like D get in that kind of shape. Seems like preemptive measures would be taken in steps to make it look nice and be efficient instead of having massive projects to do all at once.

Slovacek747

pitops

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 5):
How did LAX make the list? I know there are a few issues, but I hardly call it a disgrace.

Ever been to Terminal 1?
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

Evan767

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 pm

We have PHL, MIA, LHR and LAX.

As others have stated, LAX is hardly a disgrace.

Quoting PITops (Reply 24):
Ever been to Terminal 1?

Oh please, Terminal 1 isn't that bad. Maybe for nit-picky people that might think its too dark and maybe a little bare, but it's fine. Well, I do most of my flying into Terminal 5 anyway and that always has and always will give me a good impression of LAX.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

LuiePL

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:07 pm

I used to work there for 2 years, and of all the terminals, I think E is the worst. I remember being up there once and a passenger was on his cell phone and referred to it as a "converted parking garage". I thought that was spot on. I only had the chance to go into A-west a handful of times, but I think it is one of the best concourses I've been in. The B-C connector is nice also if you have a long lay-over. A lot of shops and a decent sized food court.

As far as the new construction between D & E I heard this was to better accommodate WN for security screening purposes, and connecting pax. When I left last year Air France had stopped being moved over to E after deplaning, since DGS was their ground handling crew, and DL is moving to A-east. So terminal E will soon be the "west" terminal with NW and WN there.

As far as a terminal "G", I'm not sure where they'd have room. Since they are expanding 17-35, there's not going to be a whole lot of room to fit a terminal and taxing traffic. Plus the express hangar would need to be taken into consideration.

There aren't too many options for expansion due to the fact that's it's pushed up against the Delaware river, and there isn't a lot of breathing room. Getting a 4th east-west runway to help with congestion is going to be hard as well, and what's needed if there's to be any real expansion of flights. As has been pointed out already, it's on-time rate is only 60%, which is pretty bad.
-Luie-

pitops

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 25):
Oh please, Terminal 1 isn't that bad. Maybe for nit-picky people that might think its too dark and maybe a little bare, but it's fine. Well, I do most of my flying into Terminal 5 anyway and that always has and always will give me a good impression of LAX.

Unless they were doing contruction on it, it was horrible. Ceilings and some walls ripped out. I just thought it was trashy. I've seen much better. I'm not a nit picking person either. I've been to Terminal 4 before too and thought it was nice. Alot nicer then 1.
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

N757ST

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:50 pm

F terminal is being expanded. Construction to start soon, to include additional shops, food, new security, and an expansion of about 40,000 sq feet I believe. Word around the camp fire is that eventually they want to bring the 170's and 175s to park at the F concourse, then park some the Rj's in the non jetway'd spots facing terminal E, and possibly in the interim remote parking the Dash 8's in the express deice pad. The construction is not rumor, it was confirmed by the city, the airport, and published in USA today about a week ago. The other stuff, conjecture... though US Air did state that they intend to bring larger Rjs to the F term, which I would imagine would be the republic aircraft. Take it for what its worth, us pilots usually only get our info from the ramp and gate personnel, which we all know how reliable they are. But again, the F term expansion is a done deal, how they are going to do it... no idea, but I would imagine they will just continue the "finger" of the concourse, possible bending it to parrallel to the end near rwy 17.

AA767LOVER

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:57 pm

If PHL is that bad, which i agree with you that it is, i guess I should be grateful that MIA is not so bad. Hhahahahaha
PHL is quite bad. I remember how congested and old it was back even in 1998. Correct me if I'm wrong, AC still operates from D?
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

PHLapproach

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 6):
Other airlines presently occupying them; even US spills some of their interanational traffic onto those gates (departures only)

We use the East for arrivals also.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 21):
At least Philly realizes the importance of US at the airport as well as the city and county of Philly. I like the quote, "we're married to US." That sounds very familiar...

I wanted to post about this in the last PHL bashing thread that was started what now 22.5 hours ago  Embarrassment The city and County (DOA) could care less about US. They had their plans being created during the first and second bankruptcy. That was to get WN in, give WN much expansion room by shifting DL over to A-East and done deal. But US coming out of bankruptcy changed all that. We didn't go down as easy as the city thought we would. So now they are really thinking to themselves "F$%# what are we gonna do now". "Well we can't exactly change plans since we promised WN all this room". But anyway, my point is they really don't like US. We ruined their plans big time.

jfrworld

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 25):
As others have stated, LAX is hardly a disgrace.

What about that dive of a terminal the United shares with Continental? Blech  ill 

B7X7

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:00 pm

you have to put the CTB at LGA up there, I was there last october, flying with AA, it was the worst terminal I have EVER seen, the sealing was falling down, it was an absolute mess.

lincoln

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:46 pm

Ever been to Terminal 1?

Quoting Jfrworld (Reply 31):
What about that dive of a terminal the United shares with Continental? Blech

6. I can assure you that while I was most unimpressed by PHL (both from an appearance and polite-customer-service perspective) but LAX 6 is far worse, IMO

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

IAHFLYR

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:58 pm

PHL Terminal D is IMO is a disgrace.....park your car in the garage and with any amount of luggage to check you have to go down the stairs, yes stairs (maybe a hidden escalator someplace) or the tiny elevator to reach the ticket counter, then back up to the second level (but they included an escalator at least for that trip) to meet the security line that is probably more than 1/2 way back to the parking garage you just came out of, it is insane. PHL is just PHL I guess!!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

g4resagent

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:07 pm

Don't forget to add in the A and B gates at LAS...

bcoz

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting B7X7 (Reply 32):
you have to put the CTB at LGA up there, I was there last october, flying with AA, it was the worst terminal I have EVER seen, the sealing was falling down, it was an absolute mess.

Agreed! Before late April of this year, I had only flown into LGA via the Delta/Northwest terminal. Then...this April, I flew ORD-LGA-ORD. My boss warned me that CTB was a dump... And it was... Part of the problem, aside from the asthetics, is that there is (at least in the case of UA's gates on Concourse C) nothing substantial beyond security in terms of concessions. When my flight was canceled because of a mechanical issue with the parking break, I was re-booked on a flight two hours later. In order to get something to eat, I had to exit from the secured area, eat (and have a tasty beverage), and then re-clear security.

bcoz

B7X7

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 pm

The AA Gates are not much better, they had one shop and one cart with food. They really need to spend some money on the CTB, what they really need to do is to rebuild it, I can not see this happening due to lack of room at the airport.

Ashland1381

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:32 pm

Airtravel is changed so much in since 9/11 - since LLC's (starting at People's Express ).

Just as railroad passenger service started to decline in the 1960's, as the result of over regulation then 'deregulation' I wonder if the business needs to 'control' itself unless the 'competition' is too nasty. The bad set of events and the right 'opportunity' for government to step back in is just hanging over all of this.....

steeler83

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting PHLapproach (Reply 30):
I wanted to post about this in the last PHL bashing thread that was started what now 22.5 hours ago

That statement really wasn't a PHL bash; it was merely an observation I made while reading the article...

But anyway, my point is they really don't like US. We ruined their plans big time.

Ah, that makes sense. Then I wonder why the article said that the city/county is Married to US if, in fact, by your post anyway, they could really care less?? I suppose they're just the press and can say what ever the hell they want even if it's nowhere near what the truth is? They should run for office...

Evan767

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Jfrworld (Reply 31):
What about that dive of a terminal the United shares with Continental? Blech

Ok I'll give you that one. A dark, ugly terminal with nothing to eat but Johnny Rocket's isn't quite my cup of tea either.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

747fan

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 40):
Ok I'll give you that one. A dark, ugly terminal with nothing to eat but Johnny Rocket's isn't quite my cup of tea either.

Yeah, terminal 6 at LAX is basically unchanged since it was built (in the early-mid 1960's). I flew into there fairly recently on CO and it was ugly on the inside w/ poor concession/shopping options. The rotunda area at the end was very dated with worn carpet, ugly recessed lights in the ceiling (the big ones where the ceiling is lower remind me of "cylops eyes"), and stains on the ceiling by the round 1960's-style air diffusers.
Here 's a picture I found of the rotunda area:
www.airchive.com/airline%20pics/LAX2/*Waiting%20Room.jpg
Terminal 3 is also dated like Terminal 6.
Here's a page with numerous terminal photos of PHL:
www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/PLANE-PHILADELPHIA.html
A converted parking garage is a good description of some of the terminals - look at the ceilings I mentioned in one of my previous posts! I've only been in Terminal A-West, A-East, and F; A-East wasn't a dump, but it wasn't exactly the nicest terminal I've been in.

jfrworld

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting 747fan (Reply 41):
Yeah, terminal 6 at LAX is basically unchanged since it was built (in the early-mid 1960's). I flew into there fairly recently on CO and it was ugly on the inside w/ poor concession/shopping options. The rotunda area at the end was very dated with worn carpet, ugly recessed lights in the ceiling (the big ones where the ceiling is lower remind me of "cylops eyes"), and stains on the ceiling by the round 1960's-style air diffusers.

The photo did terminal 6 some justice, too, since the photo masks the stained carpet and stained walls in the photo.

peachair

Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:55 pm

There is a new building (terminal?) going up between D and E. Is this a new terminal or something else?

A new 12 lane security checkpoint. It will be a big improvement

Quoting Seatback (Reply 15):

That will all change this fall

Slovacek747
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:46 am

Yea and at any given time they probably wont have more than 4 security lanes open.

Slovacek747

N1120A

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting 747fan (Reply 41):

Yeah, terminal 6 at LAX is basically unchanged since it was built (in the early-mid 1960's).

Now that isn't true. It has had a huge portion added on to it to connect it to the ticketing area

Ever been to Terminal 1?

Terminal 1 is fine. It is one of the newest terminals at the airport and was built for the era where people were allowed to go to the gates to pickup or drop off their friends and family. As such, the lines get long because of the bottleneck created by the boarding pass checkers at the bottom of the escalators to security.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

apodino

Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting G4resagent (Reply 35):
Don't forget to add in the A and B gates at LAS...

A and B gates in LAS are bad? I fly through the A and B gates in LAS on a regular basis and there is nothing wrong at all with the A and B gates. They just renovated them in fact, with nice carpeting and lighting. There are plently of concourses in the US and abroad much worse that A and B, and in fact, I think A and B are nicer than a lot of places around.

The places I find disgraceful from an aesthetic and practical standpoint:

DTW Smith Terminal
LGA CTB
JFK Terminal 2 and 3
EWR Terminals A and B
BOS Terminal B, especially on the AA side
SNN
LHR
The Aforementioned LAX terminals
STL
CVG Terminal 2

I wanted to post about this in the last PHL bashing thread that was started what now 22.5 hours ago The city and County (DOA) could care less about US. They had their plans being created during the first and second bankruptcy. That was to get WN in, give WN much expansion room by shifting DL over to A-East and done deal. But US coming out of bankruptcy changed all that. We didn't go down as easy as the city thought we would. So now they are really thinking to themselves "F$%# what are we gonna do now". "Well we can't exactly change plans since we promised WN all this room". But anyway, my point is they really don't like US. We ruined their plans big time.

I flew to SNN last night on US, massive taxi delays due to weather out West, and ATC favored the domestic departures on top of that. There was no reason for us or British Airways to have a 2 hour taxi with no weather that way. PHL needs a metering position desperately.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos