Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ENU
Topic Author

G-Bissau 'To Shoot Drug Planes'

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:53 pm

Even to American standards this measure is a bit harsh, I think. But perhaps it will make a difference...

Quote:
Suspected drug planes that enter Guinea-Bissau's airspace will be shot down in a bid to reduce rampant cocaine trafficking, the government says.
Prime Minister Martinho N'Dafa Cabi said he had personally issued the uncompromising order.

This follows the army's seizure of a truckload of jet fuel in a forest outside the city of Buba on Thursday.

International drugs experts fear the poor, unstable country surrounded by islands could become a "narco-state".

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6972468.stm

CV990

RE: G-Bissau 'To Shoot Drug Planes'

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi!

The only thing we need to know now is what type of airplanes Guiné-Bissau "have" to shoot those airplanes...I don't think they have any!!! Unless they shoot them from the ground!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

ENU
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting CV990 (Reply 1):
Unless they shoot them from the ground!

Indeed:

Quote:
While the army chief of staff, General Tagme Na Waye said anti-aircraft guns were "already installed" on all the Bijagos Islands, and, "any plane detected in this zone without authorization will be shot down."

star12

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:27 pm

If it works, well it will be a good idea, but things are never that simple in Africa. It's a shame, Guinea-Bissau is a beautiful country struggling with it's own problems, they really don't need to have to fight a war with the South American drug cartels!!

sw733

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:05 am

Quoting CV990 (Reply 1):
The only thing we need to know now is what type of airplanes Guiné-Bissau "have" to shoot those airplanes...I don't think they have any!!!

Yes they will be shot from the ground, but G-B does have some aircraft. Their Air Force, which is part of the Guinea-Bissau People's Revolutionary Armed Forces, has 4 a/c - 2 helicopters, a DO-27, and a Cessna Skymaster. Far from anything fancy (or useful).

Quoting Star12 (Reply 3):
If it works, well it will be a good idea, but things are never that simple in Africa. It's a shame, Guinea-Bissau is a beautiful country struggling with it's own problems, they really don't need to have to fight a war with the South American drug cartels!!

Hopefully this is all just to deter those involved in the drug cartels. Guinea-Bissau is one of the 10 poorest countries in the world, so yes, they need to fight their own problems and not have to deal with this crap. The cocaine money enroute to Europe from South America makes no impact on the economy of G-B, but the corruption there is so ridiculous, as it is in many parts of Africa, so I an questionable how much of an impact this will really have...

CV990

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:29 am

Hi!

Well I have an idea....Portugal Air Force just withdrew their Cessna/Reims FTB-337's Milirole....maybe Portugal could offer half dozen of those to Guiné-Bissau....they can actually receive some armament and could be usefull to fight the drug lords!
Regards

2travel2know

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:17 am

Those airplanes carrying drugs to Guinea Bissau must fly from somewhere.
I doubt the planes fly all the way from Colombia overthere.
If those are drug smuggling seaplanes flying from ships in the Atlantic that's another thing.

I'm sorry to say that Guinea Bissau's Drug Smuggling problems will be seen (if not already going on) in Cape Verde Islands, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and maybe Mauritania too.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

md90fan

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting CV990 (Reply 1):
The only thing we need to know now is what type of airplanes Guiné-Bissau "have" to shoot those airplanes

They have 2 Mi-24s, flown by Ukrainian mercs., let me get the pictures.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4896/equatorial20guinea20mi2mp7.jpg

[Edited 2007-08-31 23:28:21]
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

star12

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 7):
They have 2 Mi-24s, flown by Ukrainian mercs., let me get the pictures.

Wrong!!! These two Hinds belong to Equatorial Guinea; a totally different country over 1500 miles away form Guinea-Bissau. The picture you posted even clearly shows the roundel of the Equatorial Guinea Air Force.  checkmark 

The actual inventory of Guinea-Bissau's air wing is summed up very well by SW733 above. And it is questionable whether any of it is airworthy.

md90fan

Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Star12 (Reply 8):
Wrong!!! These two Hinds belong to Equatorial Guinea; a totally different country over 1500 miles away form Guinea-Bissau. The picture you posted even clearly shows the roundel of the Equatorial Guinea Air Force.

Oh crap, nvm then!  guilty 

Quoting SW733 (Reply 4):
Their Air Force, which is part of the Guinea-Bissau People's Revolutionary Armed Forces, has 4 a/c - 2 helicopters, a DO-27, and a Cessna Skymaster. Far from anything fancy (or useful).

I've heard on prominent military discussion boards that this MiG-21 belongs to them, along with this An-2
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

CV990

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi!

I think the Guine-Bissau Air Force marks are a red roundel with a black star in the middle..so that AN-2 is indeed from Guine-Bissau....the Mig-21 I cannot tell because I don't see any identifications beside those red numbers.
Regards

HowSwedeitis

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:26 pm

*Sigh* Why do I foresee a news story about a plane with tourists getting shot out of the sky?  sarcastic 
Heja Sverige!!

star12

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:28 am

Yes I think i'll have to agree with you on those two. I stand corrected. As CV990 states..

Quoting CV990 (Reply 10):
I think the Guine-Bissau Air Force marks are a red roundel with a black star in the middle..

They must be additions or donations that have arrived since I was last there!! But back to the original point; it is questionable whether they have anything useful to counter drug aircraft. The Mig-21 doesn't look in too good a condition from the photo, and is Anti-Aircraft-Artillery really practical?? This looks like a problem that may be difficult to get rid of.....

bennett123

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:24 am

The MIG21 looks like an SMT.

I know that it looks shabby, but do not mess with him.

The lack of legs will not be an issue unless he has to loiter.

David

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sergey Riabsev - Russian AviaPhoto Team

bok269

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 9):
e heard on prominent military discussion boards that this MiG-21 belongs to them, along with this An-2

The drug lords are scared out of their minds I'm sure.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

CV990

Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:17 am

Hi!

Yeah Bok269, fighting drug planes with MIG21's it would be a "radical" practice...and in Africa it would be spectacular indeed!!!
Regards

TeamAmerica

Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting ENU (Thread starter):
Even to American standards this measure is a bit harsh, I think.

A dubious comment, at best. Is it your understanding that Americans are shooting down "drug planes" entering US airspace?

I don't see how this relates to your thread...please explain.  confused 
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

star12

Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:03 am

I think he could have been suggesting that America has a reputation around the world as being a bit ' Gung-ho'. A bit 'Trigger-happy'. But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that with a username of 'TeamAmerica'.  yes 

OB1504

Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Star12 (Reply 17):
But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that with a username of 'TeamAmerica'.

IIRC, Team America is a movie that makes fun of America's recent "gung-ho" attitude. If anything, by having that username, he's saying that he (like most Americans) is not exactly thrilled with our foreign policy at the moment.

ENU
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting TeamAmerica (Reply 16):
I don't see how this relates to your thread...please explain.

I think he could have been suggesting that America has a reputation around the world as being a bit ' Gung-ho'.

The US are well known for their 'War on Drugs' - costing billion of dollars yearly, but I never heard of an US anti-narcotics brigade shooting down suspected aircraft or sinking suspected boats.

[Edited 2007-09-02 00:33:41]

PlanesNTrains

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:46 am

think he could have been suggesting that America has a reputation around the world as being a bit ' Gung-ho'. A bit 'Trigger-happy'.

And I think the question was - how is this relevant? Seems a little gratuitous, but that seems to be common on A.net, whether it be A vs B, etc.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

AirNZ

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 20):
And I think the question was - how is this relevant? Seems a little gratuitous, but that seems to be common on A.net, whether it be A vs B, etc.

I took it to be merely that even along the lines, and the world perception of, the US being 'trigger-happy', the move by G-B seemed a bit radical. I certainly didn't see it as quite needing anything defensive.
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

PlanesNTrains

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 21):
I certainly didn't see it as quite needing anything defensive.

I'm sure you don't, and that's fine. I certainly understand what he was trying to say. I just think the thread would have been better served by not dragging the "gung-ho", "trigger-happy" US into it.

And just to clarify, what TA asked was:

Is it your understanding that Americans are shooting down "drug planes" entering US airspace?

Isn't that what is implied in the OP's opening line? If not, then again, it would have likely been better to leave other countries out of it. What did it add?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

AirNZ

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 22):
'm sure you don't, and that's fine. I certainly understand what he was trying to say. I just think the thread would have been better served by not dragging the "gung-ho", "trigger-happy" US into it.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 22):
sn't that what is implied in the OP's opening line? If not, then again, it would have likely been better to leave other countries out of it. What did it add?

Aye, fair enough point Dave, and no real disagreement from me on it.

Cheers
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

star12

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Hey guys I didn't mean to start anything here!! ENU stated...

Quoting ENU (Thread starter):
Even to American standards this measure is a bit harsh, I think. But perhaps it will make a difference...

And then Team America asked for an explanation as to what he meant by his statement...

I was only adding my two cents. Sorry if I upset anybody...  twocents   sorry 

sw733

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 9):
I've heard on prominent military discussion boards that this MiG-21 belongs to them, along with this An-2

Yes, I think those are beloning to the G-B Air Force, but not in flying condition. Kind of like, say, the aviation museum of the Irish Air Corps at Baldonnel...or the museum at Edwards AFB. Though these two planes are a lot crappier than the ones at either of those places  Wink

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 11):
*Sigh* Why do I foresee a news story about a plane with tourists getting shot out of the sky?

Not enough people travel to G-B to be shot down, haha. Besides, drug cartels tend to use small, out of the way airports rather than bigger airports that the tourists would use, even if going on sightseeing tours. I think G-B is smart enough to know which planes to shoot down and which not to.

oldeuropean

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting ENU (Reply 19):
The US are well known for their 'War on Drugs' - costing billion of dollars yearly, but I never heard of an US anti-narcotics brigade shooting down suspected aircraft or sinking suspected boats.

No they let it do by others:

Axel  Yeah sure

[Edited 2007-09-02 17:55:55]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

TeamAmerica

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:03 am

I think he could have been suggesting that America has a reputation around the world as being a bit ' Gung-ho'. A bit 'Trigger-happy'. But then I wouldn't expect you to understand that with a username of 'TeamAmerica'.

You assume too much. Best not to judge a person based on a username. sarcastic 

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 18):
IIRC, Team America is a movie that makes fun of America's recent "gung-ho" attitude. If anything, by having that username, he's saying that he (like most Americans) is not exactly thrilled with our foreign policy at the moment.

checkmark That's correct, although it's a bit more complicated than that. The movie also suggests that the heavy-handed Americans are well-intentioned. A deep investigation of the duality of man in a movie featuring puppets. biggrin 

Quoting ENU (Reply 19):

That's correct. The US Coast Guard will fire upon boats that fail to heave to, aiming to disable the vessel's engine - not to sink it. Similarly the US does not fire upon suspect aircraft entering our airspace unless and until such an aircraft fails to cooperate once intercepted. I'm not aware that a shoot-down has ever actually occurred.
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

ENU
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 26):
No they let it do by others:

Yep, I also remember another case in Peru some years ago when a private plane, mistakenly thought to be involved in drug-trafficking, was shot down with the help of a US anti-drugs surveillance plane.

PADSpot

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:11 am

What kind or airplanes are the drug traffickers using? They'll might be able to shoot down a slow prop airplane flying low near their islands, but what about high flying jets?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos