jimbo27L
Topic Author

EK To NCL - Is Anyone Watching?

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:09 am

With EK starting services into NCL tomorrow (1st Sept), I was wondering if other international carriers would be looking to see the level of success before potentially making the plunging to serve NCL.

This is a massive coup for NCL - EK's initial loads look very promising and passengers are mainly connecting to onward destinations via DXB.....EK's perceived service levels and anything to avoid connecting in LHR Id suggest.

Will other airlines (probably US, EK will have anything to the Mid East, Africa and Asia-Pacific sewn up) make any commitment here - I know AA pulled out before tyre hit tarmac, but is this a route that the likes of CO or DL are looking at?? Is the issue a lack of metal? Will be interesting to see if EK's initial success will potentially alert carriers to another international route out of NCL. BRS, EDI, BHX and others have been supportable over recent years, and the economic growth in NE England would suggest that a scheduled US route cant be far off.

Comments welcome.

PS - Be great if anyone heading to NCL tomorrow can post some pics - EK035 - A330 - arrival time 1210.

cedarjet

RE: EK To NCL - Is Anyone Watching?

Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:14 am

I would think it's right up CO's alley. Certainly EK seem to have tapped into some major untapped demand, this is one of their most successful route launches ever. I think it is being watched, and I would expect more longhaul entrants to the market. Now is the perfect time for CO to set up to launch at the beginning of summer oh eight.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

sunshine79

Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:45 am

EK will look so good on the tarmac at NCL, and will be a brilliant photo opportunity if it comes in to land westerly. I hope someone gets a good shot or two. Im sure Andy Hutchings will be there with camera pready for that special photo.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

by738

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 1):
I would expect more longhaul entrants to the market

On what basis ? EK have developed a niche at UK airports with their eastbound hub at DXB. AA blew the chance of scheduled US from NCL. I dont anticipate any other new entrants.

jimbo27L
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting By738 (Reply 3):
AA blew the chance of scheduled US from NCL. I dont anticipate any other new entrants.

On the contrary, surely AA's withdrawal has opened up an opportunity for another US carrier to provide a connection through a hub serving North and Latin America?

Would be good if anyone had knowledge of any background research by US carriers. AA clearly saw a market before pulling the route.

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 1):
Now is the perfect time for CO to set up to launch at the beginning of summer oh eight.

Agreed. EWR - NCL market would also see a fair bit of O&D - especially in the back. What are CO's transatlantic 757 configs??

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos