Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LINATE

RE: American's Lack Of In-flight Service, Or Laziness

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting TWAL10114ever (Reply 48):
Of course AA will survive me ceasing to use their airline, but word of mouth is powerful.

Well said. The word of mouth is indeed powerful. It was impressive to see the responses on this forum . Passengers are waking up and demanding respect, and are not letting themselves be intimidated by the old lame defensive story the american airlines (or their employees) use over and over again.It is the market, it is the economy, etc etc... Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Meanwhile, the Asian and middle eastern carriers are offering better and better. Have you seen the new Cathay economy class?

I recently flew American First class on an intercontinental flight and it was absolutely pathetic. The service, the seat, the whole experience. No way they can compete with other international carriers. Interesting to see how the US in general lost so much of the cutting edge in so many fronts. Air travel being one of them.

It will be interesting to see how long it will take for the american airlines to wake up and switch gear... They will probably have to get rid of most of their staff though.... based on the attitude they have now.

davidlc3

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 3):
That Crew flew DFW-BHM-DFW-CMH that day

Please tell me you are kidding with this statement. Back in "the day" (1987 - 95) we would do up to 6 legs in a day with multiple HOT MEAL services in COACH!

I understand the downline catering scenario but there is always more to pull from. At the very least they could pass through the cabin with water and coffee...or whatever soda or juice they had. Bottom line...they did not want to go above and beyond.

DTWAGENT

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:05 pm

I would have to agree on some of the above. I've flown on several AA flights. Like DTW/ORD/DFW and back all early morning flights. And TOL/ORD/FLL and back. Early morning and early evening (Dinner time). Now DTW/TOL to ORD is a short flight so I don't expect anything on these flights. But from ORD to DFW or FLL their should have been at least a drink service. Their was nothing. I know the airlines have to cut corners. But, AA has been making Millions in profits. I think a can of pop.coffee/water they can aford to serve their customers. Now CO from DTW/IAH and back we not only had drink service but a lite FREE snack both ways....

Chuck

davidlc3

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:12 pm

As a former Exec Plat that has turned to every other form of travel to avoid the venerable AA I need to voice my opinion on this subject:

1. I have found most of AA's F/As to be exceptional. I ran out of the "atta boy" cards quickly as I encountered excellent service so often.

2. Over the past 3 years AA has changed their policies on FF miles and redemption on a regular basis. They continue to increase the cost of using miles (surcharges, user fees, etc.) without improving the product you receive for those miles - tell tale signs that they do not care about the customer, only about the $.

3. The Clubs are abysmal. Better than the boarding area but just barely. $7 for a cocktail - cheaper on the aircraft...dirty and poor service.

4. The food onboard, when you get it in F/C, is the same food I have been eating for 10 years it seems. The few new products they have introduced are worse than former Y/C products - egg salad sandiwch? in F/C?

5. AA used to be the very best in service. Now i would prefer to fly WN where at least I get multiple bev services from LBB DFW and a bag of peanuts.... sad to say...that is superior to AA

twal10114ever
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting Davidlc3 (Reply 51):
I understand the downline catering scenario but there is always more to pull from. At the very least they could pass through the cabin with water and coffee...or whatever soda or juice they had. Bottom line...they did not want to go above and beyond.

THANK YOU! Exactly my point! Instead they had "social hour" in the F class galley for about 45 minutes once we were airborne or read about Brittney Spears dropping her baby on its head in the latest issue of People on the back jumpseat. Regardless of what the crew was given to work with, they could have done more but obviously chose not to.

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:46 pm

An intereting and a rather sad read for me this topic is. I see how much hate there is for AA and some of it is justified, some absolutely not...

I've been with AA for some 8 months now, and I'm proud to be a part of such a great company, or so I thought? In training at DFW they praised how superior service is what distinguishes AA from other carriers, and I certainly try to provide that to our customers. I see the same from 99% of my colleagues at my station, everyone really tries.

I have flown many times myself on AA, and always seemed to find the service good to very good (unbiased opinion). i see that the main issue here is the lack of food and drinks on flights: but isn't that the same on all legacy carriers now? A lot of people are praising CO, which is rather strange to me, since I've heard stories of horrible service on CO from travelers and from friends. I guess its a matter of experience: One bad experience can suddenly make any airline horrible.

The problems are apparent at our station: we are understaffed. While Delta has about 8 agents working check-in: we are checking people in with 3. We check in probably more pax than Delta. Obviously, thats why AA is doing well financially, they cut costs drastically, while Delta is overstaffed. However, thats not a good thing for our pax: I am aware that check in can appear chaotic at times, and don't even talk about OSO...But we work with what is given, and its not easy at times. I'm sure the situation is similar with FA's, they are given only such amount of food and they are not ALLOWED to make a second drink service, such are the rules.

Cheers.

AA767400

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:25 pm

Bottom line...they did not want to go above and beyond.[/quote

Why would they? They have no initiative to do so.

[quote=TWAL10114ever,reply=49]No, actually I worked for Delta, I didn't work for TWA. That being said, I can remember the many times over the years I flew from STL-MLI (30 minute flight) when the F/A's were busting their humps to provide a full beverage service. These days you fly AA from DFW-STL and the only thing that AA provides on an AM flight is a water/coffee/juice service for an hour and 20 minute flight? Pathetic!

Pathetic is that we are still discussing how crappy AA is. You don't have to tell me twice.

She was lazy, You have nothing better to do, And now we move on. Now let's find the next thing to complain about and post it. Cheers!
"The low fares airline."

SPREE34

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Davidlc3 (Reply 53):
3. The Clubs are abysmal. Better than the boarding area but just barely. $7 for a cocktail - cheaper on the aircraft...dirty and poor service.

So this is the second time I'm seeing someone indicate that you pay for beverages in the Admirals Club. Is that correct? On AA if you are flying First, or have attained the level of FF miles to use the facilities, you still have to pay money?

Are any other carriers like this?

Quoting 44k (Reply 55):
One bad experience can suddenly make any airline horrible.

Any airline can have a bad day. Notice, at least in my case, I quit AA after several poor flights. I believe some of the other post indicate more than one bad experience as well.

Quoting 44k (Reply 55):
In training at DFW they praised how superior service is what distinguishes AA from other carriers,

You'll notice the terrain slopes downward from FAA Road toward the Trinity River. That's so this kind of Training Dept. propaganda based sewerage drains away from the complex.

Quoting 44k (Reply 55):
The problems are apparent at our station: we are understaffed. While Delta has about 8 agents working check-in: we are checking people in with 3. We check in probably more pax than Delta. Obviously, thats why AA is doing well financially, they cut costs drastically, while Delta is overstaffed. However, thats not a good thing for our pax: I am aware that check in can appear chaotic at times, and don't even talk about OSO...But we work with what is given, and its not easy at times. I'm sure the situation is similar with FA's, they are given only such amount of food and they are not ALLOWED to make a second drink service, such are the rules.

In the above quote you say "Delta is overstaffed." I disagree. Delta learned their lesson and is trying to get their service levels back up.
The rest of what you say needs to be put in large print and dropped on Arpey's desk.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

AIR757200

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 56):
Now let's find the next thing to complain about and post it.

Next thing? Ha! In three days, we'll recycle the same content, same complaints, again, and again, and again. It will be the same people complaining.

Was: Civil Avaition .... Now: Airline Service Failures

atlflyer

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 57):
So this is the second time I'm seeing someone indicate that you pay for beverages in the Admirals Club. Is that correct? On AA if you are flying First, or have attained the level of FF miles to use the facilities, you still have to pay money?

Are any other carriers like this?

Yes. I recently had a friend flying Business Class from JFK-Brussells on American and he went inside the Admiral's Lounge and said he had to pay for everything. Nothing was free. When he called me from the airport, he said that is the biggest rip-off ever and the lounge was dirty!

Also, as I mentioned before, the Wall Street Journal recently reviewed AA, UA, CO and DL's lounges. With American, they reviewed it at LGA, SFO, ATL and LAX. From the WSJ:

"We bought day passes ($50 for one person, $75 for two) to American Airlines' Admirals Clubs at La Guardia, San Francisco, Atlanta and Los Angeles. The lounges were spacious and plush -- but only if you didn't look too closely. Besides Atlanta, all of the Admirals Clubs we visited had serious cleanliness issues. At La Guardia, crumbs and other unidentifiable detritus were scattered on the carpet, on tables and on chairs. In the ladies' room, there was a large puddle on the floor and toilet paper was strewn around. At LAX, several seat cushions had huge gashes, and the bar area was sullied by crumbs and orange peels.

American spokeswoman September Wade said vacuuming is done after hours and bathrooms are cleaned every hour. Regarding the damaged chairs, she said, "We have identified areas that need updating and are in the process of finalizing refurbishment plans now."

The Admirals Clubs do have some nice touches. At LAX, you could use massage chairs (for a fee). There was also a private shower, with complimentary shampoo and soap. Lounges also offered Wi-Fi access for a fee. But don't plan to use the Atlanta club if you have a late connection: It closes at 8 p.m. And be prepared to pay to eat. There's hardly any free food. At La Guardia and Atlanta, the only complimentary snack was a large, communal bowl of pretzels. The clubs did sell food -- including sandwiches and salads -- and booze. But at La Guardia, about half the menu was unavailable.

Service was uneven. In Atlanta, the staff was professional and almost apologetic when we showed surprise that they charged for drinks. But the bartender at La Guardia was surly. When we approached to order, she barked "We have no wraps and no turkey," before we could even say "Hello." American's Ms. Wade said, "We are very selective of the employees that work in the Admirals Club. We continually conduct performance reviews and receive some of the highest comments from our customers regarding customer service."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1188...2046712939.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Minuteman

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting TWAL10114ever (Thread starter):
In this case it appeared to be nothing more than pure laziness on behalf of the crew. If they really wanted to do another service, they sure could have without a problem, but instead reading the People Magazine took priority.

The airlines get what they pay for. Yes, you can find a person willing to fly horrible schedules and deal with passengers frustrated with other cost-saving practices for a small wage. But that will probably result in low morale (and little motivation for a job well done), a high attrition rate, and it will drive off the people who realize its a crappy situation (those are the same people who would recognize crappy customer service and find it unacceptable)

atlflyer

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:20 am

Definitely a shame AA is not keeping up their products because their LAX lounge looks very nice in this picture and is not that old!

A few Delta CRC pics I found too:

At ATL:

At SEA:

Continental's President's Club at EWR:

[Edited 2007-09-02 18:23:47]

qqflyboy

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting TWAL10114ever (Reply 30):
Still, in
situations involving lengthy ramp delays, we know that additional catering may be
required upon arrival. I'm sorry that our crewmembers were not more sensitive to the
discomfort of our customers on August 30 and I've shared your email with our Flight
Service Manager.

BOLD FACED LIE! We are literally laughed at or looked at like we have ten eyes when we ask for any additional catering. Hell, we're treated that way even when we're missing stuff we're supposed to have. AA may say we can ask for more supplies, but their actions, and hoops we have to jump through to get it, clearly paint a different story. More often than not, if we request anything extra from catering, we will not get it before the plane departs for the next flight and the flight will not be held for catering.

TWAL10114ever, I hope you realize, through this one thread, your complaint was better directed at AA and their piss poor management than blaming the lazy flight attendant. I am not going to defend the flight attendants on this particular flight, but I hope you've come to realize, especially through AA's response to your complaint, the cabin crew is expected to do more and more with less and less. Is it the passenger's problem? Absolutely not. Did the cabin crew create the problem? Absolutely not. So, while you perceived that day the cabin crew were being lazy, hopefully you know now the crew was more up front with you than you may have realized about their limitations.

Kudos to the crew for offering you a service on the ground instead of making you wait for the aircraft to become airborne.

Quoting LY204 (Reply 27):
Look...it's hard to argue with folks that are die-hard AA fans.

Hardly a die hard fan here. After all, I work for the company and am embarrassed on a regular basis.

I was some sort of primadonna

You said it, not me.

I was unjustified in asking a flight attendant to take my garment bag

We are not your servant! Passengers are delighted when I show them where they can hang their garment bags. Most expect that it'll have to be placed in the overhead bin. I can't believe a) you'd expect cabin crew to handle your carry-on baggage for you and b) get upset enough to complain about it. Regardless of what you paid, the cabin crew is not there to stow your carry-ons.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

qqflyboy

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:44 am

This thread is ugly, ugly, ugly. All kinds of hate.

The one thing I hope, out of this most unproductive thread, is every one on here realizes the problems that exist at AA, and any other carrier for that matter, come from the top down. There are big issues at AA, but it is certainly not the front line employees that deserve the blame. We have a management team in place that is clearly backed by the Board of Directors and share holders. There is little, if any, change the employees can produce on their own. The travelling public needs to speak loud and clear about the problems and issues they want fixed.

Case in point: we've removed 50% of the blankets from A300 a/c to save $100,000/yr. What is $100k to AA when they're paying out hundreds of millions of dollars in executive bonus schemes? It's pathetic. And who takes the blame on the a/c? The cabin crew. We write our reports and complain to our managers but nothing is done.

I, for one, never take out the frustrations of my job on the passenger, but if you ask me for an honest answer, I'll give it to you. No sugar coating, no cherry on top. I try to do my best with what I'm given. I know I fall short, daily, but I only hope the passenger knows I did my best with what I had.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

twal10114ever
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 62):
TWAL10114ever, I hope you realize, through this one thread, your complaint was better directed at AA and their piss poor management than blaming the lazy flight attendant. I am not going to defend the flight attendants on this particular flight, but I hope you've come to realize, especially through AA's response to your complaint, the cabin crew is expected to do more and more with less and less. Is it the passenger's problem? Absolutely not. Did the cabin crew create the problem? Absolutely not. So, while you perceived that day the cabin crew were being lazy, hopefully you know now the crew was more up front with you than you may have realized about their limitations.

Oh I totally agree and have done so. I have my three page letter, signed, sealed and ready to send out on Tuesday morning. Having worked in the airline business and being an aviation enthusiast I completely understand certain airlines don't give their employees the tools they need to deliver a good product and this is very apparent at AA. With that said, lazy or not lazy, perception is everything and when you see F/A's gabbing in the F class galley for an extended period of time or sitting on the jumpseat reading magazines, it is kind of a turn off to the passengers and gives the appearance of not caring.

If it is that difficult to get additional catering then you have a system that is broken and needs to be fixed quickly. I understand that is management's fault and not the fault of the crew. Whatever the case, I'm finished with AA. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back. In the past I've always stuck up for AA, supported the airline and was a very loyal flyer. It has gotten to the point where it appears they really don't care about their product and so I'll take my business elsewhere, including all of the travel arrangements I make for those inside my office.

txagkuwait

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:02 am

Quote:
I was unjustified in asking a flight attendant to take my garment bag

We are not your servant! Passengers are delighted when I show them where they can hang their garment bags. Most expect that it'll have to be placed in the overhead bin. I can't believe a) you'd expect cabin crew to handle your carry-on baggage for you and b) get upset enough to complain about it. Regardless of what you paid, the cabin crew is not there to stow your carry-ons.

Deaqr Flight Attendant:

You may think you are not my servant.....but as long as I am paying your salary, you might want to rethink your attitude.

It would probably never occur to me to ask for help with a carry on item. I just retired from the Army, am extremely fit, and spend a great deal of time in the gym or in the pool. But let's say I had sprained something and am having a bad time lifting my bag. Or maybe it's my 80 yr old mom who is flying on your airline. If we ask for assistance, and you give me the slightest bit of attitude....two things will definitely happen. I'll be corresponding with the customer service dept of whatever airline signs your paycheck, and I will take my business elsewhere.

There is a very short and nasty equation for you. --- you either do what the customer wants, or they take their business elsewhere. If enough of them take their business elsewhere, my employer won't have enough money in the bank to cover payroll.

A union may keep your employer from arbitrarily firing you. A union might even keep a company from firing someone even when it is justified. But your union cannot ensure that customers you have pissed off keep buying tickets on and flying your airline.

Like you always say during the welcome announcements....we have plenty of choices when we fly. There are airlines out there with FAs who demonstrate that they are genuinely glad that we selected their airline and will provide little extra touches of service (like assisting with a carry on bag when warranted) in order to make sure we continue to patronize their firm.

The earlier poster who made the comment about Braniff was spot on. Braniff's employees had a fatal superiority complex and it stared at the top (CEO Harding Lawrence) and ran thru the entire company. Ultimately, it resulted in no more Braniff.

If you hope to avoid the same fate, it might be a really good idea to spend time wondering "what can I do to make sure each and every one of these passengers has such a good flight that they return to spend even more money buying tickets on us???"

qqflyboy

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting TxAgKuwait (Reply 65):
you might want to rethink your attitude.

My attitude? This is my attitude dear sir.

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 63):
I, for one, never take out the frustrations of my job on the passenger, but if you ask me for an honest answer, I'll give it to you. No sugar coating, no cherry on top. I try to do my best with what I'm given. I know I fall short, daily, but I only hope the passenger knows I did my best with what I had.

I can't believe you were able to post as many words as you did because a flight attendant didn't hang someone's garment bag, but told them where they could. It may not occur to you, however, if a flight attendant is injured during the process of handling a passenger's carry-on, they face financial peril. You may laugh at that, but a flight attendant's base salary is barely enough to live on. Worker's comp is happy to pay us 50% of our base salary should we become injured.

So dear, able bodied, ex-military, "I expect you to be my servant," sir, I am thankful you wouldn't ask for assistance with your carry-on bag. I would be happy to show you where it can go, and even make room for it should that be necessary. But for someone to expect me, or my colleagues, to stow their carry-on bag is where the real attitude problem exists.

JRDC930

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 am

Those of you who say this thread is just AA bashing; its not, if AA provided amazing service everyone would be praising it. To the Die hard AA fans: Like it or not Consumers taste's and expectations play a role in the economic running of any airline and any service industry; you cant blame everything on the weakened industry, and then tell passengers to "suck it up", or to blame them for wanting cheap fares. You get what you pay, but at AA and many airlines, the service you get for the price you pay even in steerage, is not up to par with what you pay. If i fly AA dirt cheap, I'm not expecting much, but if i pay a higher than average price because of Hub monopolies, and get crap, i have a right to be angry. I dont think any one here expects to change anything at AA, even their own employees cant influence the Management, or consumer surveys, or government statistics. It is however nice to let out some steam once and a while, and to ask legitimate questions; Why such low service standards for a "full service"carrier? Just because its AA doesn't mean its the only airline with the problem. No one's attacking AA anymore than US or UA or any other legacy...

Ultimately though even the die hard, "screw the econ passengers, because if they increase service they'll go bankrupt" people here and senior management , have to realize that price is not the only competitive mechanism in the market, i you beat an animal often enough it will turn on you. People expect to be treated like humans when they fly; not cargo, that means doing more than just getting a passenger to their destination safely, but also being friendly and maybe even trying to keep them comfortable. No one's asking for first class service in econ, just decent treatment and maybe some food on transcon flights, that arent overpriced, and first/buisiness class treatment in first/buisiness.

Just my humble opinion.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:58 am

It seems like theres more hate out there (on a.net) on AA than any other carrier. I wonder if we're really that much worse than UA, Delta ,CO, NW etc.? I have had plenty of conversation with AA ExPlat's etc. who told me that AA takes care of them better than any other domestic carrier.

Did someone above mention that the Super80 sucks? The interiors are new, the seats are new and if you site anywhere in the forward cabin, its very silent. Besides, it has some of comfiest F seats in the domestic US market.
Also, worn uniforms? I have never come across that, but that can only be the employees fault. You get $180 yearly allowance from AA for uniforms, its only your fault not to order.

I'm not a disgruntled employee, I don't take it out on the passenger. I know that anyone who deals with me would be left with a positive impression, (I hope at least). I am proud of working for AA, however as mentioned above, I do see there are some problems that need to be dressed: such as understating, under-catering etc. Hopefully, these issues will be addressed with time.

SPREE34

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:11 am

Wouldn't it be cool if just 5 of us in this thread printed it out and sent it to Gerard Arpey?

1. Print, took 15 seconds.
2. Envelope, I have a box of 250 I'm still using from 5 years ago.
3. A 41 cent stamp

Gerard Arpey C/O
American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76155
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

txagkuwait

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:11 am

Quote:
So dear, able bodied, ex-military, "I expect you to be my servant," sir, I am thankful you wouldn't ask for assistance with your carry-on bag. I would be happy to show you where it can go, and even make room for it should that be necessary. But for someone to expect me, or my colleagues, to stow their carry-on bag is where the real attitude problem exists.

Dear Flight Attendant:

Being in the customer service industry means exactly what it says....provide service to the customer.

It doesn't mean provide unlimited customer service....nobody is going to ask you to wipe someone's rear end....but it does imply providing service to the customer which can be considered ordinary and reasonable under the circumstances.

Think of the flight attendant as the airline's host or hostess...you are welcoming passengers in to your home.

When you have visitors do you hang up their coats in a coat closet in the foyer? Or lay them on a bed in a guest room? If you are polite, the answer is yes.

Welcoming folks to your airplane is no different. And if you perceive it as such, you are the one with the real problem. Actually, it is your employer who has the problem.

Because it is a competitive world out there. And I do fly airlines where a FA will offer to assist with carry ons. Under any circumstances I would expect to see a FA try to help the little old lady with her baggage.

It all boils down to what one considers reasonable and expected levels of customer service.

WesternA318

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:53 am

Flight 2221 was their second leg of three that day. That M80 shows being double catered for THREE legs that day! That Crew flew DFW-BHM-DFW-CMH that day, and do you know what time they landed in CMH? 0145! Now could they have done another service? Sure but with coffee and water. You saw her in the galley working on the carts for the next leg because if she was lazy and it was the last flight that night should would have not done that. They reached CMH and had a nine hour layover only to do it all over again the next day.

That's some wicked scheduling...just one question, albeit late in the game for this thread...does AA have catering at their outstations? (I realize I know jack about AA, since I left TWA the day AA offered me an interview.)

AA offers bare bone service on their aircraft and the Flight Attendants have to beg at the next station for catering items. Flight Attendants are tired of making excuses for AA due to their lack of offerings. Unfortunately Flight Attendants are the only thing you see, and they get the blunt of people's anger.

Quite unfortunate IMHO, as I see this trend at most US based airlines now, even my beloved CO.

Quoting LY204 (Reply 10):
The state of their aircraft, for one, is telling: (1) aging, tired "Super 80s" being used on non-stop routes from as far as Boston to DFW for example and, more often than not, re-appearing on connecting flights, that lead flyers to be stuck on these narrow sardine cans across the continental US; (2) abysmal, dirty, again 757s with broken-down 1986 vintage in-flight entertainment systems;

Thos Mad Dogs are anything but tired, as I had a chance to look at one very close up on a walk around here in SLC.
At least AA kept TWA's Best Maintenance Practices...

(3) continued use of A300s (I know there have been countless threads on this site about whether or not the A300 is safe...but there have been a fairly long list of problems with AA-maintained A300s over the years (several engine fires, etc.) that seem to not be as pervasive on other carriers' A300s (e.g. Lufthansa); and

It's not the plane itself, but how AA chooses to fly it. I'm still looking forward to my trip on one to BOG sometime early next year.

(4) when newer models have come on-line (e.g. 738s), they are devoid of many basic amenities (e.g. flat screen overhead monitors every few rows back, personal air vents) -- these things all are indicative of AAs lack of regard for maintaining aircraft that provide a pleasant flying experience for passengers.

Unfortunately, it's management that orders the planes and their amenities...is AA Upper Crust and Operations THAT far detached?

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 11):
But wait? Maybe that lack of IFE is what makes people look for the Crew for entertainment.

Remember the days when a window seat and perhaps even a good book were enough?

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 11):
But AA is just at fault here for not providing more when things go wrong.

Ahh, relentless cost cutting...are they still doing that Use Less Fuel routine that was described in the CNbc documentary?

Quoting Aanyc (Reply 14):
Upper management at AA has done all they could to find ways to cut cost so they could bonus and along the way the forgot hat we are in the customer service industry. They cut way to deeply and now leave it up to all of their front-line employees to bear the brunt or the customers anger.

Especially when you have management looking at how many gallons of FUEL or potable water to TAKE OFF the plane to make it lighter and perhaps bring in more of a profit.

Quoting Bwaflyer (Reply 17):
Even though AA have removed galleys from their aircraft, I still fail to see how they can't carry enough drinks?

When did they remove galleys?

Quoting N5014K (Reply 20):
How long has it been since you've seen a flight attendant walk down the aisle before takeoff distributing magazines?

Far too long, at least since I was at TWA, or way back when I flew on Western Airlines.

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 31):
Not main-line's fault? Mainline sold me the ticket that included the Eagle leg.

But AMR owns both divisions, therefor, I assume, same policies?

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 31):
AA's HQ doesn't care.

checkmark 

atlflyer

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:39 am

DO NOT BLAME THE FLIGHT ATTENDENTS!

I am sure it is not their fault..most are trying their best with the limited amount of resources they now have. Blame Gerard Arpey and the rest of AA managment for taking EVERYTHING away and for not seeing that THEIR PLANES AND LOUNGES ARE FILTHY!

I really do think AA Management is nervous about their offerings..but don't know how to fix the problems. They have over 300 gas-guzzling S80s to replace without the funds to do so...and they can't charge a premium for flights on the S80 because the product sucks!

A340600

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 9):
I'd really love to be on one of these magical BA or other European flights that serve the full meal on a short flight. I've been on so many BA/BMI flights over the years, and the most I've been offered is a slimy sandwich of sorts and a Club bar

LON-Scotland get full meals at respective times with BA, the evening LHR salad is a Club meal with smoked salmon or suchlike and its on china with a dessert and a full Club bar. Flight time, barely over an hour.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 44):
I travel a lot on airlines world wide and on the short european flights offer little for free. Some even charge for water (Aer Lingus). I've certainly never recieved a complete hot meal on a short haul flight in Europe.

Finnair serve hot meals on flights over 2 hours. Icelandair serve hot meals on shorthaul. BA serve hot meals on their longer short-hauls. Lufthansa do the same.

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 23):
What is wrong with that response. I know a lot of airlines that would say, "We don't have closets. You'll have to put it in the overhead bin." Chances are you asked the director and they can't leave the a/c door.

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 62):

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 23):
I don't find how that isn't good customer service.

It's sad to read such a response from an F/A. If people in Premium classes want their coat hung etc then they should expect someone to offer, let alone have to ask.

Out of interest does AA use 330ml cans? If they do surely it's businss sense to go down to the smaller ones as many European carriers serve, thus avoiding the "they didn't give me the whole can" complaints and saving weight. It also saves room in trolleys.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

scalebuilder

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 63):
The one thing I hope, out of this most unproductive thread, is every one on here realizes the problems that exist at AA, and any other carrier for that matter, come from the top down.

It is not just top down my friend. It is bottom up too! Right? Who told every AA employee to go to work with a bad attitude, because that is what I see reading through these posts. Your CEO? The success of Corporate America flows on good attitude. Airlines are no different than any other public company out there. I have worked for a company that went through bankruptcy, there were no bonuses, no raises, and I decided to stay, and I still have a good life. We're doing real well today. But it took all employees stepping up - not just the our executive management. They repesent less than 5% of the total workforce. How could they possibly achieve this turnaround themselves? They simply could not.

Why can't the same mentality be applied to domestic airlines right here in the US? CO did it, and look at them today. AA could only sit there and envy this airline and its employees of their success. Maybe AA should incentice extra effort for their emplyees like the way CO did it. It wasn't cheap, but worth it.

I fly with AA regularly, and I just do not have any complaints about this airline. I have never received bad service, and that is being a frequent flyer too. This whole thread reads as though every flight is bad and under standard. They are not. The service you receive is accepable, but most of all, AA has a network out there that serves the business community very well. They could fly me just about anywhere when needed, and on time too.
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

WhiteBirdFlyer

RE: American's Lack Of In-flight Service, Or Lazin

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:12 am

Hello All, especially AA Employees:

I'd like to make it clear that in my experience AA's current problems, often-written about on A-net, aren't due to the natural state of mind of FA's, the ground crews, gate agents or pilots. It's all about AA's management, which seems obsessed with micro-cutting service levels and making room for extravagant executive bonuses and pay packages. Making those quarterly numbers to satisfy Wall Street analysts also is a big part of the problem.

When I flew a lot with AA in the 1980's I was always impressed with, if you will, the quality of people I encountered from check-in to deplaning. I'd imagine a lot of the folks I met then might still be with AA. I'd also imagine that the FA's working AA today would be a whole lot happier if they felt they were being supported by management & were allowed to make decisions by themselves to take care of customers. Part of Southwest's success has been in that all employees are given latitude to make customer care decisions. It seems AA has become much more top-down, take-orders in practice than it was years ago.

As an example relevant to this thread, I was traveling in coach from CHS to DFW via AA's hub in RDU in 1989. I'd had some back surgery and, although appearing tall and fit, was bandaged under my clothes, couldn't raise my right arm very well and was still in considerable discomfort even with pain pills. In my post-op haze I'd forgotten to get a note from the doctor to allow me to pre-board and get situated so as not to inconvenience other passengers. When I got to the desk at CHS I told them about this, not thinking that much could be done. What happened then pleasantly astonished me.

They called a gate agent who was on the way back to the gate area. She carried my carry-ons to the gate area, got my boarding pass and seated me next to the jetway door. Before they even made the official boarding call they took me down the jetway, got me seated and stowed my carry-on bags for me. The FA also put two pillows and a blanket behind me to cushion my surgery area. When we got to RDU and after the rest of the pax deplaned, another gate agent came onboard and fetched me and my bags and escorted me (while carrying my bags) to the connecting flight where the pre-board process was repeated all over again. During the flight to DFW the FA's asked repeatedly if I was comfortable and offered to arrange more of those much-missed-nowadays pillows and blankets behind my back. I was being met in DFW (those good ol' days when folks without boarding passes could go through security) and didn't need any help upon arrival but it was made clear that it was available. And all this from simply speaking to the agent at check-in in CHS!

Would the same thing happen today on AA? I can't say. I'd hope it might and hope even more that AA's current employees would be willing to show such kindness if management indicated they could. And should.

Cordially,
WFB, who holds many AA employees in very high regard and wishes that they had better management behind them.
WhiteBirdFlyer, currently near SFO

ikramerica

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:22 am

Look...it's hard to argue with folks that are die-hard AA fans. We are all entitled to our opinions. Your implication with your last statement is that I was some sort of primadonna that, on a $6,000 flight from NY to Zurich, I was unjustified in asking a flight attendant to take my garment bag (no thicker or heavier than a coat on a hanger) and put it in the business class closet. All I can tell you is that I fly business a fair amount and on CO, BA, VS, DL, and Swiss this would never, ever happen.

yep. when you pay for international business class, what you are paying for is:
1. a nice seat, with some room
2. a decent meal service with drinks
3. priority treatment from checkin to deplaning
4. courteous staff

If anyone thinks someone who only asks that the airline provide these 4 basic things is being demanding, they don't get it. Hanging up garments is part of the deal. Telling any J class customer to do anything themselves is NOT right. If help is asked for, help should be provided. Period.

Quoting PanAm1971 (Reply 37):
Everyone flying AA knows they are a legacy trying to pretend they are an LCC. I think the problem is that their old customers haven't made the switch mentally and emtionally to the new reality. However, in this ruthless business environment, there's just no choice.

Why on earth should they? When other carriers are trying to improve with time, you think loyal AA customers should accept their beloved carrier is just going to deteriorate with time? Other carriers are buying new planes and even trying to return services they cut after 9/11, while AA is still looking for ways to take things from you.

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 38):
A recent article by the WSJ visited three of American's Admiral's clubs and found them dirty--crums on the seats, worn furniture, filthy bathrooms...and noted you now have to PAY for drinks as well!

LAX admiral's club was dirty, with ripped seats. JFK concourse C admirals club had bathrooms that weren't cleaned. Something I notice about the DL and CO clubs is that the cleaning staff goes in there a lot to take care of things. At AA, never once seen a cleaning crew...

Of course not. They were just pointing out how laziness is not the reason for the lack of a second service it was a lack of catering supplies.

Valid. That's the basis of the thread, and it seems to me, after flying AA again last night in J on AA185 JFK-LAX, that the lack of service is mostly due to corporate decisions, not laziness. An 8:45PM flight over over 5 hours, and we got a snack in J class. I expressed to the admiral's club person that I felt that for a new york based flight, that is silliness. many J passengers have been doing business all day and 8:45PM is not too late for a full dinner on a flight that long.

Bottom line...they did not want to go above and beyond.

No motivation to do so, it would seem. That's a fish rotting from the head, I guess.

Quoting Davidlc3 (Reply 53):

I also noticed this. $8.50 for a ciabatta sandwich in the club, $5 on the plane for Y pax. While $8.50 isn't that out of line by airport standards, seems as if they are sticking it to club members when they offer the same sandwich to Y pax on the plane for less, a true captive audience...

domestically, you always pay (unless you can charm up some coupons). Internationally, F and J are supposed to get two drink vouchers per person. And in the flagship lounge (F pax only for certain flights), all drinks are free for everyone.

AA has been this way forever. CO, DL and others have free drinks for all, though CO has started a "premium" menu of certain wines that are "finer" than the house wines.

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 59):
Yes. I recently had a friend flying Business Class from JFK-Brussells on American and he went inside the Admiral's Lounge and said he had to pay for everything. Nothing was free.

He should have had drink vouchers, but the front desk didn't give him any. This happened last night to someone at JFK. The bartender (a nutty but friendly older woman) was outraged they hadn't given the customer coupons, asked for her ticket, took the ticket and marched to the front desk mumbling in what sounded like italian, and returned to bar with 2 vouchers for the woman with apologies for the delay.

Same bartender also changed the TV from the news (just came on, about murders) to ESPN and I thanked her for changing it for me, and she said "no, thank you, thank you for being a customer." The other bartender looked at her funny, and she said "no, we should thank everyone for being customers, after all, without our customers, we have no airline." This was an AA employee who gets it.

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 61):
Definitely a shame AA is not keeping up their products because their LAX lounge looks very nice in this picture and is not that old!

Looks nice in pics, but not that clean and cloth seats are torn up. The Flagship lounge though, attached via a door, is spotless and in in far better shape.

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 66):
My attitude? This is my attitude dear sir.

Well, no your attitude is to call people full of "hate" and then later try to hide your feelings. And if you are right, and there is some hate in this thread, it's hate that is earned. It's not unwarranted. The comments aren't from people who are holiday fliers, but from former AA diehards who just can't stomach it anymore. Rather than lamenting the hate, you should listen to the complaints. They are consistent, about the same things, and easily fixed...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

aanyc

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 76):
Well, no your attitude is to call people full of "hate" and then later try to hide your feelings. And if you are right, and there is some hate in this thread, it's hate that is earned. It's not unwarranted. The comments aren't from people who are holiday fliers, but from former AA diehards who just can't stomach it anymore. Rather than lamenting the hate, you should listen to the complaints. They are consistent, about the same things, and easily fixed...

Why should we as Flight Attendants listen to the complaints. We have listened, passed the comments along and yet nothing happens . Maybe the people that need to hear them don't. I suggest maybe contacting Arpey or one of his buddies, because they don't listen to us. They have been the ones making the decisions in taking everything off the aircraft and downgrading our services, take your frustrations out on them. As everyone seems to think they have been the saviors of American Airlines maybe it time they come down take the heat and fix it. I am more than happy to hang your coat if seatind in First/Business. If you need your garment bag hung, I will be more than happy to point you to the closet, if we have one. As our aircraft have been reconfigured, closets have been removed and we barely have enough room to hang coats. I will not even attempt to hang a garment bag any longer, some of them are large enough to hold a body.

JRDC930

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Aanyc (Reply 77):
Why should we as Flight Attendants listen to the complaints.

Dont take every thing so personal, i think most educated flyers here know the real problems lie with AA management. Although i can understand employees being disgruntled, there's no need for the attitude to be taken out on passengers as i have seen so often. F/A 's are not just there for safety, especially in first class. People pay huge smes of money for CUSTOMER Service, and F/A's agree to provide these services, granted though that some passengers out there make things difficult and would make any human want to go crazy, with their beyond reasonable demands, the fact is Airlines operate a service good.

twal10114ever
Topic Author

RE: American's Lack Of In-flight Service, Or Lazin

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:24 am

Why should we as Flight Attendants listen to the complaints

Because unfortunately as a professional in a SERVICE business, that's part of your job. I worked as a F/A and before that as a ticket agent. Passengers routinely complain about things that, while justified, are completely out of your control. However you stand there, with a smile and suck it up. It is very apparent that the employees at AA are mad at management for a lot of things, including the service (or lack thereof) they are being asked to provide, but if you think it is productive to have a "why should we as flight attendants listen to the complaints" attitude, you are sorely mistaken. AA is a giant company with a lot of assets, but the employees attitudes can be major contributing factor to the demise of a company. This business is not immune to such things.......a.k.a Branniff.

[Edited 2007-09-02 23:42:56]

nzrich

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 45):
Again the FA's were not as the thread suggested LAZY they were working with what they were given. I never said anything about it being the passengers problem. I was just saying there are logical explanations besides the employees are lazy. Trust me we get more stressed out than the passengers do when we run short on supplies and are unable to get more. It is a flight attendant nightmare.

So your saying that a F/A sitting down reading a magazine and others talking together in the premium zone is productive!!!!! I would hate to see you idea of lazy .. I too work for a airline we do up to 6 sectors in to a overnight and then up to 5 going out all 1 hour sectors with BOB and copmlimentary tea coffee and water .. Only time we get to talk is in our crew seats on take off and landing .. This crew were just lazy if there were no sodas available in the air then the very least they could of done was water .. It sounds to me they just could not be bothered and for the person who said about them doing 3 sectors in to a overnight minimum rest then 3 out ... Wow sounds good to me other airlines work their crews harder and those crews actually serve their passengers too even with only basic supplies on board ..
Last time i checked smiles were free ..
"Pride of the pacific"

airnewzealand

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 am

In the above quote you say "Delta is overstaffed." I disagree. Delta learned their lesson and is trying to get their service levels back up.
The rest of what you say needs to be put in large print and dropped on Arpey's desk.

In reagrds to "overstaffed"...we at QF have LESS crew (7) and MORE passengers (230pax) (than many American carriers) and we serve a HOT meal on a 50 min flight for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. On refreshment flights we serve quality branded cookies, muffins etc...all at a very resonable price.

In regards to AA...i recently had the FORTUNATE experience of paxing with them. Can i just say the crew were wonderful...and with what resources they had (as a fellow crew member for another airline i can appreciate how hard it is to get supplies) they did a fantastic job. Lets face it people...Americans in general are VERY hard to please!!! I find this on nearly every flight i operate to Los Angeles... even though we HAVE the resources!

Cheers

And all you AA folks up there...keep that smile on your dial!

LINATE

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:13 am

Why should we as Flight Attendants listen to the complaints. We have listened, passed the comments along and yet nothing happens . Maybe the people that need to hear them don't. I suggest maybe contacting Arpey or one of his buddies, because they don't listen to us. They have been the ones making the decisions in taking everything off the aircraft and downgrading our services, take your frustrations out on them. As everyone seems to think they have been the saviors of American Airlines maybe it time they come down take the heat and fix it. I am more than happy to hang your coat if seatind in First/Business. If you need your garment bag hung, I will be more than happy to point you to the closet, if we have one. As our aircraft have been reconfigured, closets have been removed and we barely have enough room to hang coats. I will not even attempt to hang a garment bag any longer, some of them are large enough to hold a body.

You AA FA's just don't get it do you? It is hopeless to even try to get the point across. As always in life the lessons will need to be learnt in harder ways... Maybe it will take bankruptcy or some similar big loss for you to wake up....Sad but true.

AA767400

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:44 am

Deaqr Flight Attendant:

You may think you are not my servant.....but as long as I am paying your salary, you might want to rethink your attitude.

If you want a personal Servant then get your own private jet with one.

is a very short and nasty equation for you. --- you either do what the customer wants,

You got a lot of nerve man. If I did what every "Customers wants" we would have major problems on a plane. Like telling the other person to shut up because he would like to sleep. Sure.

If we ask for assistance, and you give me the slightest bit of attitude....two things will definitely happen.

Speaking of attitude.......

Quoting TxAgKuwait (Reply 70):
Being in the customer service industry means exactly what it says....provide service to the customer.

There is a difference between service and entitlement.

It all boils down to what one considers reasonable and expected levels of customer service.

Some demands are not reasonable and that is what you don't get.

Quoting A340600 (Reply 73):
Finnair serve hot meals on flights over 2 hours. Icelandair serve hot meals on shorthaul. BA serve hot meals on their longer short-hauls. Lufthansa do the same.

Broken record. AGAIN, we are not in Europe.

It's sad to read such a response from an F/A. If people in Premium classes want their coat hung etc then they should expect someone to offer, let alone have to ask.

He said to a passenger that was NOT in a premium class and that was seated in the main cabin.

Quoting TWAL10114ever (Reply 79):
Because unfortunately as a professional in a SERVICE business, that's part of your job.

Please go to the Dallas and become an Instructor for Inflight services. They need you there for your insight.

Quoting TWAL10114ever (Reply 79):
I worked as a F/A and before that as a ticket agent.

This corresponds to you:

Quoting Minuteman (Reply 60):
But that will probably result in low morale (and little motivation for a job well done), a high attrition rate, and it will drive off the people who realize its a crappy situation (those are the same people who would recognize crappy customer service and find it unacceptable)

Now TWAL011, Now that you have sent a complaint to AA.com and are going to send a personal letter to Arpey, What is your goal out of all of this? I hope it is to better the inflight product, but something tells me you are out for more. Want her fired? Did she hit a nerve?
"The low fares airline."

WesternA318

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:46 am

Out of interest does AA use 330ml cans? If they do surely it's businss sense to go down to the smaller ones as many European carriers serve, thus avoiding the "they didn't give me the whole can" complaints and saving weight. It also saves room in trolleys.

I dont think the 330ml cans are even available in the US are they?

If anyone thinks someone who only asks that the airline provide these 4 basic things is being demanding, they don't get it. Hanging up garments is part of the deal. Telling any J class customer to do anything themselves is NOT right. If help is asked for, help should be provided. Period.

checkmark 

The Flagship lounge though, attached via a door, is spotless and in in far better shape.

Whats the difference between the Admiral's Club and the Flagship lounge?

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 80):
Wow sounds good to me other airlines work their crews harder and those crews actually serve their passengers too even with only basic supplies on board ..

bigthumbsup 

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 81):

Amen to that!

iairallie

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:59 am

It would probably never occur to me to ask for help with a carry on item. I just retired from the Army, am extremely fit, and spend a great deal of time in the gym or in the pool. But let's say I had sprained something and am having a bad time lifting my bag. Or maybe it's my 80 yr old mom who is flying on your airline. If we ask for assistance, and you give me the slightest bit of attitude....two things will definitely happen. I'll be corresponding with the customer service dept of whatever airline signs your paycheck, and I will take my business elsewhere.

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 66):
Worker's comp is happy to pay us 50% of our base salary should we become injured.

QQflyboy make that 0% AA workers comp will NOT cover injures caused to an FA handling a passenger bag. AA FA's are warned in training that if they are injured handling a passenger bag they will NOT be covered. I don't work at AA anymore but I never gave attitude when asked to handle a bag. I dealt with it politely and did my best to find a solution that would help the passenger and not put myself in financial and physical peril.

nobody is going to ask you to wipe someone's rear end.

Well I've been asked to help an elderly pax with their restroom needs. Not in our job description by the way. Thank goodness a male nurse was sitting near by and offered to help with it so I was not put in an ackward postion. If you can't take care of your physical needs you need to have a companion with you when traveling or stay at home.

I travel a lot on airlines world wide and on the short european flights offer little for free. Some even charge for water (Aer Lingus). I've certainly never recieved a complete hot meal on a short haul flight in Europe.

Yeah the original post said short haul flights and gave the specific example of man-lhr. I don't consider flights over 2 hours short haul. Those are medium haul flights.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

twal10114ever
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 83):

Now TWAL011, Now that you have sent a complaint to AA.com and are going to send a personal letter to Arpey, What is your goal out of all of this? I hope it is to better the inflight product, but something tells me you are out for more. Want her fired? Did she hit a nerve?

Want who fired? My point to this whole thing is AA's in-flight service SUCKS. It is not just the flight I was on last week, but rather almost every flight I've been on the past few months that's sub-standard. I'm not trying to get anyone fired, but hopefully send a message that AA has lost a good customer and if they would ever want my business again, they had better clean up their product.

ikramerica

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 84):
Whats the difference between the Admiral's Club and the Flagship lounge?

Flagship Lounge is the International F lounge AA built in LAX, ORD and now JFK. At LAX, it also serves as the QF F lounge. While not as nice as the F lounge at SYD, the LAX lounge is still a nice place to spend time, with a full self service bar, croissant sandwiches (brie cheese, ham or turkey or veggies), smoked nova salmon, salads, veggies, crackers, cheeses, cookies, chocolates, etc. spread out along a very long granite counter, with undercounter fridges for the champagne, and a large triple glass fridge for beers, juices, sodas, waters, etc. There is staff constantly cleaning up and keeping the bar stocked. The club overlooks the alley between T4 and T5, while the Admiral's club wraps around it on three sides.

At JFK and LAX, transcon F passengers (on a full fare or an advantage award (not upgrades)) also get access.

The JFK lounge opened last week, and I don't know if they offer more food because it's serving the NYC-LON market, or if it's the same as LAX.

WesternA318

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 87):

Nice, I'll have to try it sometime when I plan my AA systemwide trip sometime next year after the SLC-CDG inaugural!

JRDC930

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:29 am

There is a difference between service and entitlement

Well most F/A seem to have these two concepts confused, granted some passengers are jerks to say the least, there are somethings like being friendly that are entitled as well as not being a rude employee.

Some demands are not reasonable and that is what you don't get.

Whats your definition of reasonable? Tell the passengers the safety briefing then go back and read a magazine the whole time and tell passengers to go to hell?

Broken record. AGAIN, we are not in Europe.

What does that prove? that U.S. airlines give a rats A** about their passengers? This used to be the same service standard in the U.S. as well, now you cant even get food on a 4-6 hr trans con flight. Tough luck right? especially if its a red eye with no place to eat at the airport? Meal services were cut and airlines still bleed money, your not going to go bankrupt by giving some one a simple hot meal or a sandwich.

He said to a passenger that was NOT in a premium class and that was seated in the main cabin.

I ve seen plenty of F/A's do this and do it rudely and asinine, employees have to treat the econ passenger like crap, simply saying no should suffice, and even if the passenger is a jerk, employees are paid to be professional about their jobs.

No ones attacking AA specifically or F/A's, but at least have the ability to see reality.

iairallie

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 89):

No ones attacking AA specifically or F/A's,

That's exactly what they are doing. Just look at the title of the post. Accusing someone who doesn't have the supplies to do a second service of being lazy qualifies as an attack.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

ikramerica

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:44 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 90):
That's exactly what they are doing. Just look at the title of the post. Accusing someone who doesn't have the supplies to do a second service of being lazy qualifies as an attack.

Is it our fault you can't read?

The OP asked is it laziness or lack of service? The answer seems to be that it is NOT laziness, but lack of service as mandated from on high in the AA leadership, and even if the F/A's took the initiative and handed out more beverages, they might not be able to get stocked with a resupply despite what management says in their letter.

That's the thread I read. Maybe you were too busy being offended to actually read about that part.

This thread is yes, also about the attitude some AA F/As have, but read through and you'll see lots of compliments for AA employees, too. It's more about the CONSEQUENCE of AA management, both in employee morale and in lack of service. F/As can't provide a service the airline doesn't equip them for, so that's not laziness.

But some of the AA staff attitude is inexcusable, and can't be shrugged off as "the state of the market" because you don't get that attitude, by and large, at DL, CO, WN, B6, US, F9, FL and others. Sure every airline has bad apples, just like there are bad apples in the pax department, but a large number of AA employees seem to have lost interest in customer service, and some of the responses by F/As in this thread reinforce that.

It sounds like you guys are tired. Tired of your jobs, tired of the complaints about things you can't control, etc. Yet you still come to work and take your pay check, so my opinion is you should also do your job and not make me, the pax, suffer for your issues. If you want to work slow, do the minimum, and cop an attitude, go work for the post office in New York City...  Wink

JRDC930

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 90):
Accusing someone who doesn't have the supplies to do a second service of being lazy qualifies as an attack.

Poor title, but most here are angry with management of AA, add to it some of the F/A's attitudes on here have been less than open to criticism. people take it out on F/A's unfortunately, because they cant get to management. If they did most of AA's management would be on the run from hordes of angry passengers and employees. Poor service is a quality of all U.S. so called full service carriers, and it does not necessarily have to do ONLY with F/A's. Baggage problems, booking issues, lack of catering ,lack of punctuality... none of which are F/A's fault. It just happens to be AA for many people is the airline least willing to stop treating its passengers, both "premium" and economy, like cargo.

ly204

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 92):
t sounds like you guys are tired. Tired of your jobs, tired of the complaints about things you can't control, etc. Yet you still come to work and take your pay check, so my opinion is you should also do your job and not make me, the pax, suffer for your issues.

Indeed. If folks are unhappy with their job (whether it be their working conditions, their compensation, or their management) they should look for jobs elsewhere...I understand the benefits of seniority, etc. but there is more than one employer out there. AA is a poorly run airline -- customers and employees should make this abundantly clear to senior management and go elsewhere.

AA767400

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:19 pm

Whats your definition of reasonable? Tell the passengers the safety briefing then go back and read a magazine the whole time and tell passengers to go to hell?

Love the assumptions. You already made up your mind it seems. You think we all read a magazine in the back and tell people to go to hell. I am not defending the Crew on that flight, what I am defending is the aggressive,negative, and just down right unjustified generalisations being thrown around here.

No ones attacking AA specifically or F/A's, but at least have the ability to see reality.

Could have fooled me! I do see the reality, this is why I have another job. Because I am not in a position to be a pawn in someones game.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 91):
It sounds like you guys are tired. Tired of your jobs, tired of the complaints about things you can't control, etc.

The last one sounds just about right. It is time to move on to other endeavours were one is appreciated and valued.
"The low fares airline."

JRDC930

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting LY204 (Reply 93):

I agree with you as well, but you have the wrong quote up there. AA employees do have a choic, though its sad managment is to incompetant or to cheap to realize a happy worker is a productive worker.

smcmac32msn

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 94):
You think we all read a magazine in the back and tell people to go to hell.

Coulda fooled me. On 3 of my last 6 legs on AA/MQ we had flight attendants sitting in regular seats jamming their knees into the back of mine and my dads seat, reading magazines, and talking loudly. HALF of my last 6 legs were like that. Thats kinda shitty service. I've never seen anything close to a FA reading a magazine on any other airline before/during/after a flight. Also on that trip, had flight attendants screaming at the line workers at MIA that if they didn't get a lav dump in 5 minutes (first time they had asked for it was then) that they were cancelling this flight.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

qqflyboy

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:34 pm

When you have visitors do you hang up their coats in a coat closet in the foyer? Or lay them on a bed in a guest room? If you are polite, the answer is yes.

Yes, sir, I do. And I hang up the coats of my passengers too. We're talking about carry-on baggage here, not coats.

Read above.

Oh, I don't think I've tried to hide my feelings on here at all. I hope I've made them loud and clear. I didn't call anyone full of hate, I called the thread full of hate. When you read through this entire thread it is so jaded we don't even know the truth. There are so many inaccurate generalisations and assumptions here that this thread truly is unproductive. I like how someone earlier mentioned printing this thread and sending it to Arpey. Grand idea. Then, maybe, we'd see some productivity out of it.

We, as flight attendants, here your complaints loud and clear. We agree! 100%. The problem is nearly every complaint a passenger has we've heard at least a hundred times before. We write our reports, talk to our managers about it and attempt to facilitate positive change. AA just doesn't listen. We've raised our voices to the point of being hoarse. There is simply nothing more we, as flight attendants, can do to make a change. That is so sad.

Do not, for one second, take my frustrations voiced on this thread as an indication of how I treat my customers. My reputation at work speaks for itself and I get plenty of gratitude and appreciation from the passengers I serve. My disdain comes from the ignorance of threads like this one.

smcmac32msn

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 97):
Do not, for one second, take my frustrations voiced on this thread as an indication of how I treat my customers.

Atleast one of the two known AA F/A's on this thread can say this. Props to you.  bigthumbsup 
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 72):
...and they can't charge a premium for flights on the S80 because the product sucks!

Whats so wrong with the SP80? THe interiors are new, the seats are new as well. Other airlines have old planes too (NW DC9's for ex.). I'm sorry the interior can not be idealy cleaned on a 15min turn, but other airlines have quick turns too!

Out of interest does AA use 330ml cans?

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 91):
But some of the AA staff attitude is inexcusable, and can't be shrugged off as "the state of the market" because you don't get that attitude, by and large, at DL, CO, WN, B6, US, F9, FL and others.

So AA is the worst airline out there?! At least thats what I'm getting from this thread. AA is the absolute bottom? The Service on AA flights is FAR inferior to ANY other airline in the US. Correct?

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 81):

Thank you, will do. Its so nice to see some positive in this thread..  

[Edited 2007-09-03 09:29:58]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos