ABQopsHP

RE: Too Sexy To Fly? Southwest's New Attitude?

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 am

Airlines are like any other business. they have the right to enforce a dress code that is appropriate in public. I notice that the only picture shown is one of her sitting down, and sure it looks appropriate. But is the skirt so short that we see her business when she makes certain movements? Also, exactly what kind of interview was she going to that required that kind of attire? Standards in this country have gotten rather loose. There was a guy who came to the Expressjet interview in a T-shirt and flip flops. I mean, what the heck is that all about?

JD
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

huskyaviation

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:08 am

The outfit isn't THAT bad, I've seen worse. There was no reason for the FA to make an issue of it. Now all SWA gets is bad publicity with this story.

Besides, I could care less how another passenger is dressed on a flight (as long as they ARE dressed). I care a lot more about how they smell.

This has been a hot summer and some people have been getting pretty ripe. That's horrible on an airplane.

ikramerica

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:08 am

It sounds like it was a lack of underwear. Notice she crossed her leg in the pick.

Could be wrong, but really does sound like she was flashing down below and popping out up top.

otherwise, I've seen plenty of outfits like that going to florida.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

SHUPirate1

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 50):
Also, exactly what kind of interview was she going to that required that kind of attire?

A doctor's appointment! Not a job interview...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Spark

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:18 am

I think there are people making way too much of this. This is pretty cut and dry. She was wearing a provacative outfit which is not out of the norm in California, especially SoCal. To be honest I see girls dressed worse than that at my middle school (If she was a middle school student we would have given her a sweatshirt to wear, if the dress came to her finger tips). However, while maybe it justified a polite comment from FA or CSR (and that is a big maybe), she certainly shouldn't have been asked to leave the plane. The CSR did a really good job of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
BTW, anyone notice that there wasn't an issue on her return trip later that day.
Obviously, the situation didn't need to become a news story. Let her board, a few guys enjoy the eye candy, a few people complain about the decline in morals in America, and everybody goes about their business.
I tell this to teachers all the time, and it is true for a lot of thing- NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE A FEDERAL CASE.

SkyyMaster

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:19 am

Ah, only in America. Would this really have been an issue in most other "first world" nations? So many Americans in general are so hung up on sex or anything perceived as sexual, its sad. I dare say this would not have even been noticed in most countries in Europe.

Silver1SWA

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 51):
The outfit isn't THAT bad, I've seen worse.

And so have I! I see worse get on our planes every day at the same airport! It's not like Keith or any other CSS wander through the terminal to find a girl dressed like that so they can give them a hard time! There was a reason for this.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 52):
It sounds like it was a lack of underwear. Notice she crossed her leg in the pick. Could be wrong, but really does sound like she was flashing down below and popping out up top.

otherwise, I've seen plenty of outfits like that going to florida.

That would almost have to be the case. No underwear and/or no bra could have done it.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 52):
Notice she crossed her leg in the pick.

Also notice she placed her hands in her lap totally blocking the region. It makes it harder to determine how short that skirt really is.

[Edited 2007-09-06 04:44:15]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

steeler83

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 14):

Um... "Come on down"??? They look like some reunion of Barkers' Beauries... Or, in the case of his successor, Carey's Cuties...  Wink
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ikramerica

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 56):
Also notice she placed her hands in her lap totally blocking the region. It makes it harder to determine how short that skirt really is.

newspapers and tv like to take pictures that illustrate THEIR take on the story. you see it all the time, with orchestrated photos meant to tell the truth.

So we don't even know if she had that exact outfit worn that exact way. all we know is that later, somebody staged a picture to make it look 'not that bad.'

and it very well might not be bad at all. I just have a feeling she was going commando and it was visible in some way, and last time I checked, public nudity is against the law in most places in the usa.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

aa61hvy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:11 pm

"Keith" must have been playing for the other team...
Go big or go home

futureualpilot

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:12 pm

I have no problem with it, but, people (not just her, but most passengers) need to remember flying is a privilege, not a right.
Life is better when you surf.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 59):

I play for the other team and she'd have stayed put. Hell, she probably dressed better than a lot of those other customers.
You can't cure stupid

SFOMB67

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 10):
My guess, the woman was being a bitch

Looks to me like Keith was the one having the bad day!
Not as easy as originally perceived

Silver1SWA

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 59):

Or, maybe he was called into action to do the dirty work upon request from say, THE FLIGHT CREW? What if the Captain was a woman and was offended?

I'm tired of defending this. I wish people wouldn't be so quick to make judgement especially when they are only given information from an article that is obviously trying to evoke sympathy for the "victim". There was more to this story. There had to be.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 63):
There was more to this story. There had to be.

Maybe not. There are a lot of trigger happy, power tripping Supervisors out there.

zvezda

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 64):
There are a lot of trigger happy, power tripping Supervisors out there.

Indeed. In cases where I was present and saw the whole thing, I've seen at least as many cases of power tripping CSRs or cabin crew abusing an innocent passenger as I have of passengers abusing innocent crew. Obviously, both are bad. However, the americans have gone too far in giving the crew the power to have passengers arrested on a whim upon landing. Whenever there is a confrontation, the passenger is the only one who risks arrest, regardless of who started it.

qqflyboy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 4):
but legally, I just don't think the airlines have any grounds for pulling someone off a flight because they don't like the way they are dressed.

Actually, they do. They are a private company and can institute a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy just like any other business. In this case, it's a "no short skirts" policy. We may not like it, but Southwest and/or any other airline for that matter can make the rules, including a dress code.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 66):
They are a private company and can institute a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy just like any other business. In this case, it's a "no short skirts" policy.

Do they really make it public knowledge though? It's not like when you buy a ticket they tell you what you have to wear.

qqflyboy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:18 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 67):
Do they really make it public knowledge though? It's not like when you buy a ticket they tell you what you have to wear.

Page 10 of Southwest's contract of carriage addresses refusal of transport due to clothing, however, it is not specific. It also notes those who are refused transport will receive a refund for the unused portion of their ticket. When we click that "purchase ticket" button, or otherwise purchase a ticket on Southwest (or any other airline) we automatically agree to their contract of carriage, whether we've read it or not.

Based on the picture I too think it was a bit strange so much attention was drawn to her and her clothing. She certainly is wearing no less than a good portion of fliers out there today. I guess it's a good thing Southwest doesn't fly to the Caribbean.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

AY104

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:26 pm

I think the supervisor really needs to stop taking himself so seriously, and get a good grip on reality. I see girsl on the street all the time, dressed like sluts, but this girl to me just looks sexy. I am a great fan of Southwest, but this guy really needs a reality check on the type of service they are providing. Let us just say it is far from First Class on a world class airline. I really like SWA for what they are, but give me a break! Usually airlines have a dress code for non-revs (airline employees, family and friends travelling on discounted tickets or free passes, on standby) but even those rules have been very relaxed lately.
I certainly don't know the whole story, and Keith is not here to defend himself, but in the years I worked for the airlines I worked with one or two "Keiths" who insisted on making life difficult for everyone around them, staff and passengers included. Not a pleasant experience.
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Arcrftlvr

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 66):
They are a private company and can institute a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy just like any other business.

Last I checked, WN was a public company.

qqflyboy

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 70):

Publicly traded? Yes. However, they are not a government owned/operated entity in which their policies would be up for public debate. They can make their own rules and enforce them as they see fit provided they don't violate existing laws.

WesternA318

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 4):
I agree that what she had on is not exactly ideal for flying commercially, but you know, in this day of age, nothing should really surprise anyone in regards to how people dress when flying.

Quoting Analog (Reply 7):
Perhaps airlines should go back to the days when they handed out blindfolds to all passengers.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 11):
Someone takes his job far too seriously.

LMAO, you work at WN..just HOW serious can you get? Shhesh..it's not like you work at Aeroflot or CO..lol  bigthumbsup 

SkyexRamper

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Was that an all women crew on that flight...surely the captain could have made his executive decision to go with a hot woman on his flight..  Wink
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Phoenix9

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:37 pm

This is just a thought so dont know if it makes sense. Here it goes:
It could be that she was travelling on plane for the first time in her life and wanted to look good for the "special occasion". Looking at her myspace page ... this might be one of the "good" attires that covers more than it reveals. But I guess in this politically correct world Keith went overboard ... IMHO

PS: I just joined A.Net...so a big HELLO to all the A.Netters!! Keep flying!
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Silver1SWA

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 64):
Maybe not. There are a lot of trigger happy, power tripping Supervisors out there.

It is very unlikely he was there from the start. Something took place on that aircraft requiring a supervisor to be called in. I know there is more to this story than the article and picture are telling. A woman dressed like that should not be treated that way. This is San Diego. 90% of young women here look like that, or worse and they successfully board our airplanes every day. Something triggered the event.

RachelBDL

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:51 pm

I'm a WN employee, and I looked into it a little as a ground ops employee. According to our manual, we can deny a passenger transport "whose clothing is lewd, obscene, or clearly offensive." I'm not sure if this girl's attire is exactly lewd or offensive, but as stated above, this is only one article, one photo. Before everyone jumps to conclusions (too late I guess) there is likely more to the story here.

I don't know "Keith," nor am I a supervisor, but I would love to pull aside some of our customers. I had a young lady a few weeks ago who made me do a double-take, her top was basically a bra with sleeves. What passes for fashion these days?
I not only drink the KoolAid, I do the Jello shots too!

flydreamliner

Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:03 pm

this is a case of one stupid airline employee... not a problem with Southwest. Truth be told, I think WN has the most attractive and personable F/A's flying, amongst North American airlines, for sure. Keith was just some stupid ass. I expected to see some chick dressed like Chyna from WWE or a hooker or something. That was a low neckline and a short skirt, sure... but in the summer time (well, up here in the tundra at least) it's not one bit uncommon to see short skirts and low necklines. big deal, grow up. if it offends you, stop looking.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Silver1SWA

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 77):
this is a case of one stupid airline employee

Keith was just some stupid ass.

big deal, grow up. if it offends you, stop looking.

Unbelievable...  Yeah sure

aauzou

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:23 pm

they should have hired her, hot stuff

Regards

Siege2L

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:18 pm

How about this as a possible scenario: "Keith" secretly likes Ebbert. This "Keith" decides to pick on her. What "Keith" really wants is a date, however, he just aggravates Ebbert more and more. An age-old, yet childish action that is most common amongst the youth when one human desires the other. I regret this possible scenario has left Ebbert in an embarrasing situation. Perhaps Southwest Airlines should no longer fly to cities that reach above 100F to avoid this 'situation.' Maybe change their name to Arctic Airlines  Smile
Flying higher than over your dreams...

EDICHC

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 68):
Page 10 of Southwest's contract of carriage addresses refusal of transport due to clothing, however, it is not specific.

If not specific then is practically (in a legal sense) unenforceable. Other companies or establishments are often very specific if they enforce a dress code, for example, some clubs or restaurants may insist customers refrain from wearing denim jeans or sneakers. Without being specific such a condition becomes subjective rather than objective. Frankly I saw nothing wrong with this young lady's attire.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 81):
Frankly I saw nothing wrong with this young lady's attire.

Nothing at all. Short skirt. So what? Much ado about nothing, and clear over reacting by the employee in question.

Flying on an airplane these days in coach class is not much different than taking a bus or a train. If an airline really wants to go out and enforce a dress code, they need to make it clear as day when you buy the ticket. They shouldn't assume that people will look at the contract of carriage to see if they can wear certain clothes. You would think people would have the common sense not to wear something vulgar (which clearly didn't apply in this case), but hey, everyone's different. Air travel is basic transportation for most people. They could care less what other people think of them by the outfit that they wear. And if a short skirt or a low top offends people, then maybe those people need to just go live in a cave somewhere and avoid all human contact.

huskyaviation

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 81):
If not specific then is practically (in a legal sense) unenforceable.

This I disgree with. They have probably left the "dress code" deliberately vague in order to make it subjectively enforceable.

tockeyhockey

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 pm

i think she looks great and is perfectly appropriately dressed for a flight. the skirt is a bit short, but when you can pull it off, you're free to wear something like that.

why can't southwest spend more time cracking down on over-weight women who wear belly shirts and low cut jeans that allow rolls of fat to bubble over the their beltline and into the seat next to them. now THAT'S offensive.

gregarious119

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:17 pm

You guys are going hard on Keith, but there are plenty of other worse ways he could've handled the situation.

She could've been given no explanation, choice or options. Just the boot and a refund check.

Also, like someone else stated, it may not have been Keith's call.

From my perspective, he handled the situation by pulling her aside, not making it a humiliating scene, and gave her the choice to cover up and fix the situation. I wonder how many of the passengers even knew anything took place...

deltadc9

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 9):
Thankfully, good looking and fit women are still allowed to wear a mini skirt here in Europe

But fat people are not allowed to wear speedos on the beach in Italy....at least in one town. Funny as hell....

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 31):
We all judge everyone on some level

Quoting Indy (Reply 32):
I have a right to express my opinion just as much as you do

Judge not....good advice....

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 49):
That shows even more hypocraticy

Bigot

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 70):

Quoting QQflyboy (Reply 71):
Publicly traded?

You beat me to it.

this is a case of one stupid airline employee... not a problem with Southwest

As much as I dislike SW, I agree. I have had a FA like that on every SW flight I ever took. The fun flight BS with perky FAs is not the SW I know and hate. I think they must be overworked or something....
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

strandedinbgm

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:07 pm

Can anyone say Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct".
It's 737s, 747s and 380s. Not 737's, 747's and 380's. Learn to use the apostrophe for crying out loud.

JRDC930

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:14 pm

There is such a thing as public indecency; you dont go to the airport dressed like a hooker and expect no one to notice. WN is completely within their rights to throw her off, especially since they gave her a chance to change, if she wanted to dress like she does at hooters she should have gotten on the defunct hooters airlines. Remember, no shoes no shirts, no service,or in this case, teasing. Youd be surprised what airlines can do in regards to who they choose to serve and who they dont. But in this case, this lady was just being stupid. You go to a club dressed the way she was; not an airline, where despite the fact a lot of male passengers were probably enjoying the "show", not everyone was happy looking at her "stuff".
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

drexotica

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 34):
In Pridnestrovie it is common for skirts to not completely cover the cheeks, though thongs are usually worn underneath unless the weather is too hot for underwear. This sort of puritan attitude just inclines me to boycott WN.

Once again, Zvezda has it right!
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 88):
not everyone was happy looking at her "stuff".

To those people I say just look the other way. She's sitting down for the entire flight most likely. Only one person would really have to be in direct view of her for the whole flight if the seat next to her was occupied. Some people might see her when she boards...some when she deplanes...and a lot wouldn't even notice. Like I said, much ado about nothing. This was not public indecency, not even close. If she flashed someone on the aircraft intentionally then yes, I would agree. But short skirts are pretty common in the world today. As are airline employees on power trips. All this being said, this isn't just a WN thing...I have seen this at FL and F9 and NJ....and only on vary rare instances was it ever justified.

JRDC930

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 90):
and only on vary rare instances was it ever justified.

Justification is a matter of opinion, and obviously WN had a different opinion than yours on what constitutes indecency. No one was saying wear a long puritan skirt; just not one that shows all assets. People CHOSE how to dress, you would think they might use a bit of common sense when in public. The 60's are over and running around half naked not so much as accepted by institutions as by the average Joe. Also remember this is a Political Correct world; She might have offended some one, thus she must be kicked off, in the minds of WN. That is a "benefit" of the PC world. I would not have complained... ... but the issue is one has to be considerate of others; maybe not to various extremes, but at least somewhat in dress.

[Edited 2007-09-06 16:41:39]

deltadc9

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 88):
There is such a thing as public indecency

You sound like a freakin Quaker. Lighten up. Women dress like that at major corporations. One just passed me in the hall wearing a micro mini and we are a Fortune 100....
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

micstatic

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 92):

You sound like a freakin Quaker. Lighten up. Women dress like that at major corporations. One just passed me in the hall wearing a micro mini and we are a Fortune 100....

She's not the hottest chick I've ever seen, but I don't even see how this could be offensive. If anything, we need more of this.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

JRDC930

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 92):
Women dress like that at major corporations. One just passed me in the hall wearing a micro mini and we are a Fortune 100....

What corporate world do you live in...? You think I'm a Quaker; i woudnt care if the lady was nude Big grin, but others might and since WN is a company with liability and an image, they couldn't just do nothing. She went beyond a micro skirt, more like a rag. Your company must be drastically different from the corporate world, or that skirt isnt as short as you think, because at most companies i have worked at, albeit as an intern, there ARE dress codes, but thats different that WN. TShort skirts and tiny tops just have a way of attracting attention; especially wth males. WN has no dress code, but they expect some common sense. Hey if i had been on the plane, i would have hoped no one noticed...but me Big grin

MSYtristar

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 91):
WN had a different opinion than yours on what constitutes indecency

If they call that indecency, well, I feel sorry for them. Honestly.

just not one that shows all assets

It's not like she had a mesh top on with no bra to match the skirt.

The 60's are over and running around half naked not so much as accepted by institutions as by the average Joe

That's just not half naked. It's not. Some of the pictures on her MySpace page are, absolutely.

Phoenix9

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:01 am

There seems to be more to the story though! As others have said that she might have been going commando....now it could be that she just dropped something and 'flashed' everyone while bending down to pick that up  knockout  ! If that's the case I'm pretty sure other passengers (especially ones travelling with kids) must have complained and Keith over-reacted.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

highflier92660

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:15 am

This story has comical overtones. If one were to look at the PSA uniforms of the 1970's http://www.jetpsa.com/stewgrad/7404.jpg with mini-dresses cut half up to Cleveland this certainly is much ado about nothing. As an ordinary aviation guy who can't truly discern the difference between tres chic and trailer trash when it comes to women's clothes, I nevertheless think it has to do with how "Mesa College student and Hooter's waitress" Kyla Ebbert pulled this thing off. If she appeared as if she were a typical uninhibited and care-free Southern California student on a day trip to Tucson she has a grievance. If she was going "commando" and had and air of traveling to Tucson by way of the Moonlight Bunny Ranch in Nevada then Southwest supervisor Keith made a good call; there is such a thing as traveler's etiquette believe it or not. Either way Keith is suffering the slings and arrows of the San Diego media who make the poor guy out to be a replica of the late actor Steven Stucker from the classic movie "Airplane."

Said with mincing disgust: "Oh that dress...and those shoes!"

pauliboy

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:22 am

Personally, I'm far more concerned about hygiene than short-shorts. Ever been forced to sit next to someone wearing a tank-top, who also needs a bath? I can usually avert my eyes if so inclined. Averting my breathing, however, is more problematic.

I

Tom in NO

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:50 am

10:1 odds she ends up laying down for some skin rag.....either that or for some flick filmed in Chatsworth  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos