Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Taca May Be MSY Bound

Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:59 am

Well, it seems that TA is at the very least strongly considering flying to New Orleans again. I mentioned in another thread briefly that TA asked one of the new FL employees at MSY (who used to work for TA) if she would be interested in going to work for them since they are planning to return to the market. I wasn;t told of a time frame, but that's a pretty strong sign, I would say. I will go out on a limb and predict 3x weekly service to SAP if and when they return. They probably won't start off with more than that initially. But man, would that ever be a big shot in the arm for MSY!

BNinMSY

RE: Taca May Be MSY Bound

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:23 pm

This is a great 'possibility' ... I hope it comes to play out for sure!

DesertAir

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:15 pm

At one time a number of Central American Airlines had service to New Orleans. In August of 1989 I few on Aviateca to Guatemala on a 727. I recall seeing the wonderful Honduran livery Sasha (?) with the blue and while waves and stars. This is good news.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 2):
At one time a number of Central American Airlines had service to New Orleans. In August of 1989 I few on Aviateca to Guatemala on a 727. I recall seeing the wonderful Honduran livery Sasha (?) with the blue and while waves and stars. This is good news.

Aviateca, Lacsa, Sahsa, and Taca all served MSY at the same time for a long time. It made for a pretty colorful ramp at Concourse C on certain days of the week...those airlines had some GREAT liveries!

Aviateca usually did MSY-GUA with 727/737 and later ORD-MSY-GUA with 733's.
Lacsa typically did MSY-CUN-SAP-SJO with 727's, later 737's and 320's.
Sahsa used to do MSY-BZE-SAP/TGU from what I can remember with 727/737.
Taca did MSY-BZE-SAL, MSY-RTB, and later MSY-SAP-SAL....varied equipment ranging from 73S, 733, 319, 320 and even 767's every once in a while.

Taca used to bring in BAC-111's and Elektra's before they got the more modern Boeing's.

skyyblue

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 pm

I remember as a kid going down the airport access road and seeing a billboard featuring all the tails of the latin airlines serving MSY. AeroMexico, Taca, Lacsa, Sahsa, Aviateca. The good ole' days.

It will be great to see Taca return to MSY. My family and friends took their business elsewhere, mostly on American via Miami. A few went on Continental via IAH. Hopefully, they will start up for the summer season...the demand is definately there.

skyyblue

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
Aviateca usually did MSY-GUA with 727/737 and later ORD-MSY-GUA with 733's.
Sahsa used to do MSY-BZE-SAP/TGU from what I can remember with 727/737.
Taca did MSY-BZE-SAL, MSY-RTB, and later MSY-SAP-SAL....varied equipment ranging from 73S, 733, 319, 320 and even 767's every once in a while.

At one point after Sahsa went bankrupt, Lacsa did a 73S MSY-CUN-SAP-TGU-SJO run on Mo, We, Fr, Su. Taca filled in on Tu, Th, Sa MSY-BZE-SAL , Fri-- MSY-Roatan- La Ceiba - SAL. Unfortunately, I only got to ride on their 737-300s.

I never did see a TA 767 at MSY. That would have been an amazing ride down to RTB lol!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 5):
I never did see a TA 767 at MSY

They brought in the 767's in '97 mostly. TA was really promoting flights to Louisiana at that time and they increased the capacity on certain days. I remember they had a newspaper article about it. Also, LR was really close to starting a weekly A320 MSY-SJO at that time, but it never materialized.

jimbobjoe

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:37 am

Does anyone have an explanation for why MSY was a major airport for Central American carriers? (I believe that, at one time, MSY was actually the main gateway to Central America, and it wasn't until the 70's or 80's that MIA took over. However, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.  Smile

ConcordeBoy

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:03 am

Aviateca, Lacsa, Sahsa, and Taca all served MSY at the same time for a long time. It made for a pretty colorful ramp at Concourse C on certain days of the week...those airlines had some GREAT liveries!

Don't forget TAN's (version of the) livery as well  Wink

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Pope

Also had a MSY-CUN-SJO direct for a short while.

Quoting Jimbobjoe (Reply 7):
Does anyone have an explanation for why MSY was a major airport for Central American carriers?

Combination of:
  • having a much more even split of the nation's primary petroleum business with IAH
  • a larger (both domestic and foreign-born) population in the '60s than the '00s
  • and of course the fragmentation brought on by limited aircraft capability relative to today.
  •  
    juanchito

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:54 am

That would be great. Many Central Americans whats this route to comeback.

Juanchito

ConcordeBoy

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Juanchito (Reply 9):
    Many Central Americans whats this route to comeback.

not just them.... city business (chortle  Yeah sure) and tourism leaders would sh!t on themselves to have this flight back!

aer

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 10):

One thing I love about New Orleans is the tax free shopping hehehe

SJOtoLIR

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):
    I will go out on a limb and predict 3x weekly service to SAP

Interesting...
    On the other hand, TA is dispatching most of their flights to North America from their Central American hubs.
    GUA is a focus city for TA and some flights to North America are originating there. TA may increase their operations in Guatemala.
    Just as a reference, TA has been introducing new services from their bases: LIM-MVD and SAL-OAK.
    A possible SAP-MSY may hurt connections from the rest of the area and even South America.
    Well, nothing official yet.

Quoting Jimbobjoe (Reply 7):
    MSY was actually the main gateway to Central America, and it wasn't until the 70's or 80's that MIA took over

Doubtful.
    Correct me if something has been missing: from the middle of 70s some carriers linked MIA with Central America: Lacsa, the former Taca, Air Panama, LANICA and Pan Am.
    Does somebody know what airlines used to fly nonstop to MIA from Guatemala and Honduras 30 years backward?

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:41 pm

Pan Am also used to fly MSY-GUA and MSY-MID with 707's back in the day, as well.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 12):
    A possible SAP-MSY may hurt connections from the rest of the area and even South America.

Do you think they would do MSY-SAL instead? TA, historically, always connected MSY and SAL via BZE or SAP, both of which generated a high amount of O&D traffic. But whatever they add, if they add it, it will be received with much enthusiasm since the New Orleans area's Hispanic population has basically tripled since the storm.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:24 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 13):
    Do you think they would do MSY-SAL instead?

Doubtful, considering that MSY's Honduran population is more than twice the size of all its other central American diaspora combined, as per the last such census.

Post Katrina, those numbers can only be even more favorable.

MAH4546

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 12):

They don't care about connections. They just care about connecting New Orleans and Honduras.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Do wonder though if they'd focus completely on SAP or whether they might shoot for MSY-TGU in addition.

I remember Sol Air/AeroHonduras advertising their intent to start said route.... *sigh*

MAH4546

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 16):
    Do wonder though if they'd focus completely on SAP or whether they might shoot for MSY-TGU in addition.

SAP. TGU traffic is notoriously lower yielding than San Pedro Sula, which is the business capital of Honduras, which is a reason for limited US service (ironically, the limited US service creates ridiculously high fares, even though it's a poorer yielding market). TACA's only international route from TGU is Miami, and it only operates during peak summer and peak winter periods.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:24 pm

I do vaguely recall an MSY-TGU service. Who flew it?

Also, what became of the (alleged) efforts to revitalize AeroHonduras?

MAH4546

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 18):
    Also, what became of the (alleged) efforts to revitalize AeroHonduras?

They got off the ground. They were flying MIA-MGA, MIA-TGU, MIA-SAP, and SAP-MGA. They had no problem filling planes, but TACA and AA started matching their fares, and away they went.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:14 pm

SAP supports relatively few operations to the USA: AA and TA to MIA, CO to IAH and DL to ATL.
    TA: SAP-MSY. No more than three flights a week as posted out. Purely as O&D.
    CO: SAP-IAH-MSY. Daily.
    Transfers also available from ATL or MIA.

Does TA has any chance to make money in such route regarding the figures?

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 20):
    Does TA has any chance to make money in such route regarding the figures?

Well, they served MSY for over 60 years before Katrina. They were successful there for a long time. They even flew dedicated TACA Cargo flights to the airport before they got rid of the service. Before they left they were doing 4x weekly to SAP (continuing to SAL) with mostly A320's. A roundtrip fare would cost usually around $700 for the 2.5 hour flight. Yield was certainly not a problem.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:05 am

...did AA ever codeshare on TA's MSY flights?

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 22):
    ...did AA ever codeshare on TA's MSY flights?

No. Not that I'm aware of. I was always sort of surprised by that, actually.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 23):
    I was always sort of surprised by that, actually.

Indeed, they don't appear to serve Honduras from Texas, figured they'd throw a few our way and let MIA concentrate more on their O&D

Would've been plenty of time for outgoing connections to Honduras via MSY from DFW, ORD, STL, and LGA... though incoming could've been an issue.

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 24):
    Would've been plenty of time for outgoing connections to Honduras via MSY from DFW, ORD, STL, and LGA... though incoming could've been an issue.

It would have made for easy connections that's for sure....C8/10/12 to C5. Easier than connecting in MIA.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:43 am

...yeah, but the timings.

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 26):
    ...yeah, but the timings

Well ORD and DFW wouldn't have been too bad. They would have probably got the most from those anyway.

MAH4546

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 20):
    SAP supports relatively few operations to the USA: AA and TA to MIA, CO to IAH and DL to ATL.

They also have NK to FLL. DL's ATL service is a poor performer. If it doesn't shape up soon, it won't be around long.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 27):
    Well ORD and DFW wouldn't have been too bad. They would have probably got the most from those anyway

...wasn't talking about AA, I meant TA.

Anyone know which CenAm routes AA/TA do and do not codeshare upon?

SJOtoLIR

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 21):
    Before they left they were doing 4x weekly to SAP (continuing to SAL) with mostly A320's. A roundtrip fare would cost usually around $700 for the 2.5 hour flight. Yield was certainly not a problem.

If SAP-MSY warrants high yields, why did they drop the route?

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 29):
    Anyone know which CenAm rou.tes AA/TA do and do not codeshare upon?

Well, for the meantime TA code-shares with UA.
    MSY has been included in the extension of the agreement but according with all that have been posted out, MSY would operate as O&D.
    I attached a copy.
    http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf101/476851_web.pdf
    Regards.

aer

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:30 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 29):
    Anyone know which CenAm routes AA/TA do and do not codeshare upon?

TA ended all cooperation with AA, so they don't codeshare at all any more. TA chose UA over AA.

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:35 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 30):

Come on. Tell me you don't mean that. Think back to August '05 and I'm sure you'll find the answer.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:37 am

...that has to be the most ill-thought-out question of 2007.

Well, for the meantime TA code-shares with UA.

Same ease if they decided to amend their agreement-- UA and TA's gates are directly across the international concourse at MSY from each other.

Also, since all of UA's gates are capable of handling int'l arrivals, TA could use their gate and (even more so) counter space if needed.

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 33):
    TA could use their gate and (even more so) counter space if needed.

Seeing as how XE now has the old TA counter, I guess they'd either look at that option or maybe take the old F9 counter which is still empty.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:10 am

Hopefully, they can work that out... same for AC in the event that they return.

It'd get interesting if the rumors for YX's return prove to be prescient--- after that, what could be done for additional counter space? The charter counters in baggage claim??

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 35):
    It'd get interesting if the rumors for YX's return prove to be prescient--- after that, what could be done for additional counter space? The charter counters in baggage claim??

Not really sure. That's a good question.

They have a small charter counter next to B6 (2 check in positions), a small one next to FL which was the original YX counter, and that's pretty much it besides the counter downstairs.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 36):
    They have a small charter counter next to B6 (2 check in positions), a small one next to FL which was the original YX counter,

...well, since anyone new is probably gonna come in with only one or two flights per day-- that should be sufficient.

But for an airport desperately in need of greater patronage, it's rather disconcerting that they really dont have much in terms of facilities to offer a new entrant

ERJ170

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:53 am

Riddle me this...

I know there are counters on one side.. but aren't there counters opposite the current counters in use where US/WN, etc is located? Or is that something else? It LOOKS like airline counters.. I just always wondered what the heck those counters were for..

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 38):
    know there are counters on one side.. but aren't there counters opposite the current counters in use where US/WN, etc is located? Or is that something else? It LOOKS like airline counters.. I just always wondered what the heck those counters were for

Those used to be the counters for WN, TW, and CO before they decided to close that side. It was creating just a bunch of traffic problems in the terminal since you had counters on both sides with long lines of people running into each other at times.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 39):
    It was creating just a bunch of traffic problems in the terminal since you had counters on both sides with long lines of people running into each other at times.

...well that, and with the new Xray machines in the middle of the checkin lines, there's no way there would've been enough space for incoming pax to check in on both sides concurrently.

Thing is, if more than two new airlines ever start here who aren't willing/able to use a partner's counter.... then this airport is gonna have to get pretty creative in order to accommodate their checkin needs.

Tom in NO

Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 40):
    ...well that, and with the new Xray machines in the middle of the checkin lines, there's no way there would've been enough space for incoming pax to check in on both sides concurrently.

The WN, CO, and TW counters were moved way before there was even any thought, or for that matter need, to/of putting up the EDS machines. It was done pure and simply to relieve congestion in the east ticket lobby. There's a project coming up that will bring the counters forward, and move the EDS machines behind the counters (ala DL, CO, JetBlue lobby).

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 38):
    Or is that something else? It LOOKS like airline counters.. I just always wondered what the heck those counters were for..

If you've been to MSY since we moved those counters, then what you're seeing in that area now are covers we had made to hide the bag belts and the drops that were located behind the counters. In the renovation project mentioned above, I believe those belts/tracks will be removed.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 37):
    But for an airport desperately in need of greater patronage, it's rather disconcerting that they really dont have much in terms of facilities to offer a new entrant

We seemed to get by pretty good while we were approaching 10 million pax  wink  . That said, we're getting 10 hand-me-down jetways from DIA while awaiting 10 brand new ones. Those will go on NOAB-owned gates including some, like B10 and B12, that haven't had jetways since CO moved over to D. And we've always been able to locate ticket counter space for those airlines interested in moving in. And with bags having to go through the EDS machines, you won't be seeing any permanent check-in counters downstairs.

Tom at MSY

ConcordeBoy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 41):
    like B10 and B12, that haven't had jetways since CO moved over to D.

...why, is someone else interested in them? WN didn't show any interest in them even during their heyday here.

ConcordeBoy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:55 pm

For the fun of it, a little trivia: anyone care to guess TACA's headquarters city, up until 1982?  Wink

More fun-- a list of airlines/aircraft who've offered schedule nonstop international/intercontinental service from MSY:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Toomey - Photovation Images
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Ken Rose

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ellis M. Chernoff
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Donica

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Pope
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Drew Wright

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mika B Virolainen - FAP
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy Pope
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Kesternich

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andy P. Jung
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Kelley
    View Large View Medium

Photo © Felix Goetting

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:46 pm

Don't forget about....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Groenendijk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralf Manteufel

BTW, great photos man....brings back a lot of memories!

Tom in NO

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 42):
    ...why, is someone else interested in them?

Nothing I can relate specifically, just plugging the gaps.

Tom at MSY

skyyblue

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:50 am

VIASA at MSY? WOW! Thats something I didn't know about! Any more info? Must have been before my time in the 80s.

What did Eastern/Continental/Braniff do out of MSY? I know that Delta, in the 60s(?), did MSY- HAV/CCS/MBJ/SJU or something like that.

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 46):
    VIASA at MSY? WOW! Thats something I didn't know about! Any more info? Must have been before my time in the 80s.

I think they were in MSY in the 70's...not sure exactly...but I remember they flew to New Orleans.

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 46):
    What did Eastern/Continental/Braniff do out of MSY?

CO did MSY-CUN/MEX/MAR.....EA did MSY-CUN/MEX/PTY and I think MID.....BN did MSY-PTY and I think CCS.

DL flew to all of those cities you mentioned. LAX-MSY-SJU was even flown with L1011's for a while.

MSYtristar
    Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:16 am

Forgot one...

View Large View Medium

Photo © AlainDurand

AVENSA flew to MSY in the 40's and 50's.

VIASA was in MSY in the early/mid 60's flying Convair 880's

skyyblue

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 48):
    AVENSA flew to MSY in the 40's and 50's.

VIASA was in MSY in the early/mid 60's flying Convair 880's

Wow thanks for that information! I had no idea those airlines had international service out of MSY. Was there once a sizeable Venezuelan population in New Orleans? Makes me wonder why Avensa, Viasa, and Delta served Venezuela from New Orleans at one point. Hmmm.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos