trey

RE: Taca May Be MSY Bound

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:28 am

Oil and Gas is the answer

MAH4546

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 49):
Makes me wonder why Avensa, Viasa, and Delta served Venezuela from New Orleans at one point. Hmmm.

Oil traffic.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:08 am

CO actually started IAH-MSY-MAR-CCS service in 1987 with 727-200's. I have the flight schedule promoting the service.

Tom in NO

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 52):
CO actually started IAH-MSY-MAR-CCS service in 1987 with 727-200's.

I don't recall CO operating that service, or at least operating an inbound CCS-MAR-MSY service...if there even was such a service. Unless I'm missing something, the only scheduled airlines I recall using US Customs/Immigrations capable gates here at MSY since March of 1987 (when I showed up on the scene) are Aviateca, Lacsa, Taca, TWA, Sahsa, and Aeromexico. In '87 CO was over on B, which didn't and doesn't have Customs equipped gates. Did I miss something? Would they have pre-cleared before flying here...did they even have that option in those days?

Tom at MSY

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 53):
Did I miss something? Would they have pre-cleared before flying here...did they even have that option in those days?

I remember seeing CO planes at the C gates back at that time. Remember that little pizza place sort of next to the US counter...like where that Hudson bokkstore is now? I used to see them from there all the time. 727's and 733's, from what I remember.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:37 am

Quoting Jimbobjoe (Reply 7):
Does anyone have an explanation for why MSY was a major airport for Central American carriers? (I believe that, at one time, MSY was actually the main gateway to Central America,

I think Chiquita Brands had a lot to do with the Central American flights to/from MSY. Chiquita had their Central American headquarters located in New Orleans (several floors @ 225 Baronne). They created a tremendous amount of traffic. I think they closed the office after 9/11.

New Orleans also had a lot of central american nationals living there.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:44 am

Wow thanks for that information! I had no idea those airlines had international service out of MSY.

As has been stated many times prior, New Orleans has enjoyed nonstop international service to 26 destinations (6 of them intercontinental) on both domestic and foreign carriers. It once had more service to Central America than even Miami and Houston.

It's a cryin' shame that the best we have now are infrequent charters from the UK and Mexico.  Sad

Was there once a sizeable Venezuelan population in New Orleans? Makes me wonder why Avensa, Viasa, and Delta served Venezuela from New Orleans at one point.

NEW and HOU used to command a much more even split of the energy market, and as such, international travel; back in the day.

Now, Houston has garnered nearly all of such business, and New Orleans is left as a place where people come to get naked, get drunk, then return home back to a city that actually knows how to parlay substantial resources into commercial success.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 54):
Remember that little pizza place sort of next to the US counter...like where that Hudson bokkstore is now?

Dude! Best spotting in the whole place, particularly when 01 was in use.

BNinMSY

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 am

If only.. there could be a seasonal service to AMS or PAR out of MSY -- it would prove there is enough demand for international traffic out of here... STILL. It would have to be a Skyteam partner... and hopefully KL or AF with a 767.

We send so many dang pax via IAH it's ridiculous! And many of those do not show up as originating at MSY because we issue separate tickets for fare reasons, e.g. one MSY-IAH and then the international one. So those show up as Houston originating pax - not MSY.

Top cities I see out of our office are ABZ, EDI, VCE, BCN, many Scandianvian cities and Africa (clients from oil and gas and Tulane). There is still a good sized energy related biz population here - small companies.. but they are HERE.

Then the tourist traffic is incredible outbound... PAR, VCE AND ROM being tops.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:35 am

To add...

The airport was REALLY close in getting LTU, Trans Brasil, and Air Aruba in 1996.

LTU was going to do MSY-MCO-MUC once weekly with 767's....TransBrasil MSY-MCO-somewhere in Brazil once weekly (767)....and Air Aruba MSY-AUA obviously with M80 twice weekly. I still have the newspaper article talking about it. It seemed like a lock at the time.

da man

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 57):
and hopefully KL or AF with a 767.

I don't think either KL or AF have 767s anymore. I know for sure that KL replaced them with A330-200s. I don't know about AF.

Tom in NO

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:51 am

Cboy, the pizza place MSYTristar mentions actually looked out on the ramp between concourses B and C...you're probably thinking of the old French Quarter Cafe that sat between the A and B checkpoints (where Sonic/Popeyes are now) as the great runway 1 spotting place.

MSYTristar, I'm plowing through some old (20 years) pics I took when I first began working here...some really interesting stuff. I'm going to try tomorrow to scan a few in, then see if I can format and upload them in a decent enough quality to where I can do an "MSY in 1987 w/pics" thread. I did come across one taken from the third floor looking out on a CO 737-300 (golden tail livery) pushing back from C3 or C5...loads of Transtar's, too.

Tom at MSY

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 60):
MSYTristar, I'm plowing through some old (20 years) pics I took when I first began working here...some really interesting stuff. I'm going to try tomorrow to scan a few in, then see if I can format and upload them in a decent enough quality to where I can do an "MSY in 1987 w/pics" thread. I did come across one taken from the third floor looking out on a CO 737-300 (golden tail livery) pushing back from C3 or C5...loads of Transtar's, too.

I remember those binders, Tom. Those are priceless.

If you can throw in an L10 and/or a Pan Am pic you know i'll be forever in your debt. Well, more than I already am.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 46):
What did Eastern/Continental/Braniff do out of MSY?

Eastern flew to MEX, CUN, CZM and PTY from MSY.

Continental and Delta flew to CCS (at different times).

Delta flew to San Juan (which, i realize isn't technically an international segment).

British Airways flew to LGW during the World's Fair (1984).

There was the occasional gambling junket chartered by Gov. Edwin Edwards on Air France to Europe.

Pre-Castro, somebody flew to HAV..Pan Am I think, but perhaps Eastern.

BNinMSY

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I think it was Branniff that did Havanna from MSY. Nearly certain - my mother was on the last flight out of HAV on BN.

Da Man... YOu are correct no 767's at AF/KL - my bad - so we need an A330.

Tom - if you have any pics of Royale Airlines operation in/out of MSY I'd love to see those .. especially if you have any of the DC9 - but I think those went SHV-IAH - but maybe SHV-MSY?

Tom in NO

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:53 pm

1011's and PanAm.....consider it done  wink 

Tom at MSY

ConcordeBoy

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting BNinMSY (Reply 57):
If only.. there could be a seasonal service to AMS or PAR out of MSY

We had both, in the past. MSY-AMS and MSY-ORY (along with an MSY-FRA that was scheduled, but not sure if ever operated) on NA DC10-30s.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 58):
I still have the newspaper article talking about it.

Gimme!

Quoting Da man (Reply 59):
I don't think either KL or AF have 767s anymore. I know for sure that KL replaced them with A330-200s. I don't know about AF.

Both have the A332 as their shortest intercon longhaulers.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 60):
you're probably thinking of the old French Quarter Cafe that sat between the A and B checkpoints (where Sonic/Popeyes are now) as the great runway 1 spotting place.

yeah that.... but why do I remember scarfing pizza there?

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 62):
British Airways flew to LGW during the World's Fair (1984).

Their scheduled service here was LGW-MSY-MEX circa 1982

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 65):
yeah that.... but why do I remember scarfing pizza there?

Because they had Pizza there too. And it wasn't half bad, either. I used to start off my day at the airport at that place, Fred...used to have an AA DC10 come in everyday around 4:00pm followed closely by a Northwest Orient 757. After I saw those come in I went over to the other place.  Wink

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 62):
Pre-Castro, somebody flew to HAV..Pan Am I think, but perhaps Eastern

I'm almost positive that DL did MSY-HAV, as well.

DL inherited the MSY-MBJ/CCS routes from Chicago and Southern, I believe.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 56):
It once had more service to Central America than even Miami and Houston.

I am curious on that.
Around 1975:

New Orleans-Central America
Sahsa: MSY-BZE-SAP/TGU
Taca: MSY-BZE-SAL
Pan Am: MSY-GUA
Braniff: MSY-PTY

Miami-Central America
Aviateca: MIA-GUA
Lanica: MIA-MGA
Air Panama: MIA-PTY
Braniff : MIA-PTY
Lacsa: MIA-SJO or MIA-GCM-SJO
Taca: MIA-SAL (Doubtful before 1975)
Pan Am: MIA-SJO, MIA-GUA and maybe others.

Some sources are slightly unclear.
Take a look at: http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/TIMETABLES-PAN%20AM.html

ConcordeBoy

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 66):
Because they had Pizza there too.

...see, I knew I wasn't trippin'.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 66):
I'm almost positive that DL did MSY-HAV, as well.

They did.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 67):
I am curious on that.
Around 1975

It would have been before that. Likely in the 40's and 50's, maybe early 60's.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 65):
along with an MSY-FRA that was scheduled, but not sure if ever operated

...anyone here have info to confirm whether it was or not?

ConcordeBoy

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:48 am

...surprised none of you history buffs have taken the challenge on this one!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos