Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

warowl40
Topic Author

All Biz Class Flights

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:03 am

I know that KLM offers all biz flights from AMS-IAH on a PrivatAir 73G, and I know there are the EOS and Maxjets of the world, but why don't more airlines offer this type of service?

I would venture to guess that a large portion of revenue on international flights comes from first and business fares, so why not offer dedicated premium service flights? For example when CO starts getting 787s, instead of phasing out the 762s, why not convert them to all bizfirst seats to compete with the other airlines offering similar service?

extspotter

RE: All Biz Class Flights

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 am

ANA has some all business class 73G(ER?)s and tehre are also other privatair flights operating for european airlines, I think they do at least one for Lufthansa.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Warowl40 (Thread starter):
why don't more airlines offer this type of service?

My guess would be 1) there aren't many markets that can support such a service separate from a traditional two/three/four class cabin and 2) the stand alone all biz-class carriers are losing money like it's going out of style.
I don't take responsibility at all

Wolborsk

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting Warowl40 (Thread starter):
For example when CO starts getting 787s, instead of phasing out the 762s, why not convert them to all bizfirst seats to compete with the other airlines offering similar service?

I don't think Continental would do this...I wish they would, though. I think they should keep the 762s on the same routes and open up new ones with the 787.

COEI2007

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Wolborsk (Reply 3):
I don't think Continental would do this...I wish they would, though. I think they should keep the 762s on the same routes and open up new ones with the 787.

I dont think the 762's will be replaced as soon as the 78's arrive. I'd say they'll stick around for awhile, although you never know with fuel prices! 767's in all J would be a good idea, but its complicates operations. At present, if a 762 goes tech, a 772 or 752 can be used. A 762 with all J would be very hard to substitute!

cloudboy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:56 am

When it comes to business class, how much is really about full fare paying business passengers and how much is just upgrades for frequent fliers? In some ways, I think Business is more important as a bonus for loyalty than as a true standalone product.

What I do wonder is why no one has really started a premium economy product internationally?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

fllcontinental

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:32 pm

I personally believe it would be smart for an airline to divide the cabin in half Biz/Econ. Sort of like what Ted does with Premium Econ/Econ.

COEI2007

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 5):
When it comes to business class, how much is really about full fare paying business passengers and how much is just upgrades for frequent fliers? In some ways, I think Business is more important as a bonus for loyalty than as a true standalone product.

Whilst its definately a big plus for loyal fliers to get upgraded, and a key reason why pax are loyal to certain airlines/alliances, its not the main reason. Some routes, like BA's LGW-MCO have J class, and I had heard this was to keep Executive Club members happy, as they tend to burn their miles on this route! The importance of J cabins can be seen on LHR-JFK. If J was just to keep loyal fliers happy, EOS and MaxJet wouldnt be doing soo well!

ASEFlyer

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Most international routes with the exception of leisure destinations...MCO, LAS, BDA, etc are not upgrades.

I do have a question: what do the airlines get when, for instance, someone upgrades their fare with amex points or when someone books a complimentary compnanion biz fare with their amex?

Why no all biz class IAH-Nigeria??! Or caracas...well..maybe not caracas, but you get my drift? How many other oil connections could be made out of IAH?

LHSTR

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:23 pm

AFAIK the first business only long haul flights were LH flights, operated by Privateair, on DUS-EWR and DUS-ORD, later followed by MUC-EWR.

All these routes will be replaced by mainline either this winter or during next summer. It will be interesting where LH will position their All-Business-Class Jets.

Wolborsk

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 pm

What I do wonder is why no one has really started a premium economy product internationally?

I agree that business class should be offered for loyalty vs. as a product in and of itself. However, it's not lucrative for an airline to eliminate the paying customers in business and put frequent fliers up front instead.

As to international premium economy, SQ offers 5 two-class A345s
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sin..._Air/Singapore_Air_Airbus_A345.php

helvknight

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting LHSTR (Reply 9):
AFAIK the first business only long haul flights were LH flights, operated by Privateair, on DUS-EWR and DUS-ORD, later followed by MUC-EWR.

All these routes will be replaced by mainline either this winter or during next summer. It will be interesting where LH will position their All-Business-Class Jets.

There is also the ZRH - EWR flight operated on a BBJ by Privatair for LX. That one isn't going away yet.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

LXA340

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting LHSTR (Reply 9):

LH is placing one of the Privatair planes to FRA and it will operate flights to NY not sure which airport, it will replace a mainline flight, I think it will go to JFK not sure though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos