Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

4xRuv
Topic Author

Death On Board, Does This Happen Often?

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:06 am

Hi All,
Last week I've been on an international flight, and a passenger passed away.
I don't want to expose the flight details to protect the privacy of the deceased and his family.
I don't know how he died, as we were only told about it before landing (they couldn't give the second meal service as they used the galley as temporary hospital).
I was wondering, how often does it happen? Is there any statistics about the causes for on board death?
Thanks,

swiftski

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:34 am

Lots of good discussion about this topic here RE: BA:Dead Pax Put Into First Class (by Ryanair!!! Dec 6 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Different situation, but worth reading.

Also Inflight Death On LH 450 FRA-LAX, 7/28/07 (by Zrs70 Jul 29 2007 in Civil Aviation)

LHR777

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:48 am

It's also more common than we think. There were three deaths on-board LHR-bound aircraft just in the last 5 days. May they all, sadly, R.I.P.

oldeuropean

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:50 am

Seems that it happens more than expected.

I would guess that the special conditions of a flight could increases the risks.

Anxiety, perhaps fear of flying, the lower air pressure, dehydration, danger of thrombosis, etcetera.

Axel

[Edited 2007-09-08 21:51:40]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

swiftski

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting 4xRuv (Thread starter):
I don't know how he died, as we were only told about it before landing

OOI, how was it announced? I can imagine it would be difficult to explain.

bok269

RE: Death On Board, Does This Happen Often?

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:53 am

My thoughts and prayers are with the famillies.  pray 
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

contrails

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:11 am

With all the stress inherent in flying these days I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. I've seen people board with a full head of steam for one perceived transgression or another they believe the airline committed against them. Combine that with a cramped seat, some idiotic seat-mates, and a few crying babies and it could push somebody over the edge.

I was on flight from HNL to DFW early one morning when a pax had what was thought to be a heart attack. The FA's asked if there was a doctor or nurse onboard. Fortunately it wasn't serious and we continued to DFW.

I'm wondering, if the death happens in international airspace who conducts the inquest or investigation, if there is one? I'd guess the jurisdiction where the plane landed.
Flying Colors Forever!

TG992

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:19 am

Air NZ, who operate roughly 70 international flights a day, usually have 3-4 deaths per year. That should give you some idea of the frequency.
-

JoKeR

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 6):
if the death happens in international airspace who conducts the inquest or investigation

Usually the country of destination, where the body is received, examined and repatriated back to the country of the deceased, after all the formalities are completed.

DavidT

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:20 am

I remember reading somewhere that, given the sheer numbers of people who fly every year by statistics alone a fair few of them must die at some point! While the conditions of flight may increase the risk of death slightly, airlines already cover themselves by warning those affected with relevant medical conditions to either not fly or fly but they need a doctors note. So I don't think things such as stress or altitude etc. have an effect as pronounced as it first seems...

nkops

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:57 am

If I'm correct, passengers are not pronounced dead on an aircraft though, because then the plane is grounded (or that could be just a myth?)
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

aviateur

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 3):

Not really. I'd suggest just the opposite: globally, about five million people fly every day.

Thus, I'm not sure why it's news every time somebody passes away on board.

This issue was discussed in an article, here....
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2007/08/10/askthepilot240/
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

baw716

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:45 am

We had one death that I can recall on the MXP-SFO service; I would not say that it is a common occurrence. However, each airline has procedures in place to manage such events and from personal experience I can tell you that everything possible is done to a) protect the rest of the passengers and b) protect the dignity of the dead passenger and care for their family members.

Death is a part of life. Anyway you look at it, it happens far less on an aircraft than anywhere else, especially, say driving on the freeway.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

midex461

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 10):
If I'm correct, passengers are not pronounced dead on an aircraft though, because then the plane is grounded (or that could be just a myth?)

AFAIK, it's not a myth. As a professional courtesy, doctors will wait to pronounce until the "pax" is off the aircraft. Otherwise, the plane is declared a biohazard has to be quarantined (or at least that's what my sup at YV told me back in 2004).
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

rfields5421

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:22 am

Depending upon the destination country, a licensed MD on an aircraft often cannot pronounce someone as dead unless that doctor has privledges is the destination jurisdiction. For example, a doctor licensed in Texas cannot pronounce someone in New York as dead.

In many jurisdictions, only a corner, who is not necessarily an MD, can pronounce someone as dead if the death occurs unexpectedly in unusual circumstances - which dying on an inflight airplane would be classified.
Not all who wander are lost.

EMBQA

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting 4xRuv (Thread starter):
I was wondering, how often does it happen?

Often enough that Boeing and Airbus offer Morgue 'coolers' on their long distance aircraft.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

SJCRRPAX

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:47 am

Go ahead someone flame me for my stupid math, because I know its stupid but it's just something to think about....

Life expectancy 78 years * 365 days * 24 hours = 683,200 hours in a life

British Airways flys 90,000 pax/daily * 4 hrs (average flight time --- my guess) = 360,000 pax hours per day.

So I would guess there would be 3 or 4 deaths / week on BA Flights...

OK, these are wild inaccurate approximations, I know most flyers are not ready to die, they are young, there is more stress in flight, ... blah, blah, blah..., but the point is anytime you take a large sample of people over a long enough period of time, some of the people will die. It's part of life. If you don't believe it, just look at the obituary section of any city newspaper, people die all the time.

N747PE

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:11 pm

I was the gate agent that met PE 17, the EWR LAX redeye 2 AM departure. We got a call from Systems Ops in EWR that a pax had expired enroute. When 17 arrived we had the couriner waiting and everything when pretty smooth. The couriner wanted the family to identify the body before they removed it. We were using gate 26 that morning in the old terminal two. Gate 26 has a split level so everyone deplaned on the upper level and the family and couriner waited on the lower level. The deceased was in the back of E zone and the flight crew was able to cover up with a blanket and the surrounding passengers were moved forward. Calling the family to the gate was tough but the pax had terminal cancer and was making one last trip to see the family. When the family arrived the father asked if his dad had some problem on the flight. I told him I could not confirm his status but the couriner wanted a member of the family to identify the body. I was surprised at how well the family took the news. After the planed emptied the couriner came on with the dad and did the ID and then the dad requested the family be given a chance to say their goodbyes. 17 was early and we had an on time departure for PE 8

JETnyc

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:03 pm

The Pilots some time expire, there was a Capt. that passed away not too long ago the FO had to take over....

tommybp251b

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting Midex461 (Reply 13):
AFAIK, it's not a myth. As a professional courtesy, doctors will wait to pronounce until the "pax" is off the aircraft. Otherwise, the plane is declared a biohazard has to be quarantined (or at least that's what my sup at YV told me back in 2004).

I think it is true. I drive ambulances next to my medical studies. If someone would be pronounced dead in our ambulance, we would have to desinfect it for 4 hours.
So "nobody" dies inside the ambulance, they mostly die when we got out with the patient lying on the stretcher.

Thats how it is going.

Regards Tom
Tom from Cologne

dc10tim

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 14):
In many jurisdictions, only a corner, who is not necessarily an MD, can pronounce someone as dead if the death occurs unexpectedly in unusual circumstances - which dying on an inflight airplane would be classified.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 15):
Often enough that Boeing and Airbus offer Morgue 'coolers' on their long distance aircraft.

One thing I have wondered is who actually pronounces a pax dead in order to put them in a cooler? Isn't it a bit risky if there is not a doctor onboard?

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

loalq

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:09 pm

I do not have enough knowledge on the subject but I think it is not that easy to pronounce death in circumstances like these. So why isn't the plane diverted to the nearest airport when something like this happens (or is about to happen)? They can get proper help on the ground...

Rgds, Loalq
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

AlexPorter

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting DC10Tim (Reply 20):
One thing I have wondered is who actually pronounces a pax dead in order to put them in a cooler? Isn't it a bit risky if there is not a doctor onboard?

Two things:
1. Vital signs are obvious enough, and F/As know first aid, I believe. It's pretty easy to confirm somebody as dead when they have no pulse, aren't breathing, and CPR attempts fail.
2. A passenger doesn't need to officially be pronounced dead to be put in the "corpse cupboard." Remember, due to ensuing delays if somebody is actually pronounced on the plane, practice is to not pronounce until the airport. Basically, everybody knows the passenger died, but for convenience purposes they just don't make it "official" yet.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

ltbewr

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:44 pm

You also have the problems of making sure the person died in flight of natural causes and not by murder on or set up prior to the flight. That means some police or government 'official' authority must verify or declare the death upon arrival the the airport flying to or diverted to as those authorities are not on the flight. If there is any reason to believe the death was not natural, then police must be able to do their investigations including collecting evidence around the person on the aircraft. A preliminary investigation upon arrival by the local authorities confirming that the person wasn't murdered on the flight will almost always mean the deceased can be removed promptly from the a/c and it continue in service. I would assume that the seat and the area around it where a person died may not be used until the cushions can be replaced and the cushion and the area around it cleaned.
As to how often, common sense would suggest it is more likely on longer flights rather than shorter flights, as with shorter flights, they might arrive at their intended airport soon enough to give medical attention. So I would suggest it there may be 1-2 deaths in flight per day world wide.

MCOflyer

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Quoting JETnyc (Reply 18):
The Pilots some time expire, there was a Capt. that passed away not too long ago the FO had to take over....

I believe that was CO out of IAH.

I have heard on here that SQ and LH has coolers for bodies.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

rfields5421

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:22 pm

There are many diversions for immediate medical care on enroute aircraft. If there is any possibility of life, the crew is going to divert. They know their expertise is in flying, not emergency medicine.

That's why we hear more about these incidents on long distance flights over water.

A flight crew is not going to take a chance on a person's death being blamed on the crew not diverting the flight. Not for the human aspect of not wanting to waste a life, nor the legal liability standpoint.

As far as who accutally pronounces a pax dead - this varies according to jurisdiction. Many places, if the death occurs ourside a hospital or the presence of a doctor treating the patient - only a coronor can make the pronouncement. Or only someone with legal authority to sign a death certificate.

In the US we see highways blocked for lengthy times after auto accidents until the medical examiner can arrive and pronounce the death - even though the results of the accident make it impossible for the person to be alive.

But as I said, it varies tremendously depending upon where.
Not all who wander are lost.

JGPH1A

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Given some of the passengers I've had the joy of travelling with, clearly not often enough !  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

hiflyer

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:31 pm

Believe the a345 has the coolers for the 18 hr flights.

It is sorta an unwritten rule...they are officially pronounced after removal from the aircraft....most times after transport to the hospital.

David L

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 11):
Not really. I'd suggest just the opposite: globally, about five million people fly every day.

I see what you're saying but, common though it might be, I guess it's not something the vast majority of people ever encounter so it just seems like a big deal when they do.

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 16):
but the point is anytime you take a large sample of people over a long enough period of time, some of the people will die.

Well, stop doing it, then. (  duck  ... sorry!)

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:08 pm

How often does someone die on board an aircraft, same as anywhere else: "Only once."

manu

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:09 pm

I wonder how many will die while reading threads in this forum or visiting this site?

B747forever

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 2):
It's also more common than we think. There were three deaths on-board LHR-bound aircraft just in the last 5 days.

God, does this happens so often??
Work Hard, Fly Right

Boeing727flyer

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:35 pm

I know on the A340-600 Lufthansa have stowage areas that are cold in case a passenger dies in flight.
Hail the mighty Boeing 727

David L

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 31):
God, does this happens so often??

As stated above, it's not so surprising when you condider how many passenger-miles are flown every day.

JGPH1A

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 27):
It is sorta an unwritten rule...they are officially pronounced after removal from the aircraft....most times after transport to the hospital.

So that they can't officially ask for a refund for non-completed travel. I guess.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

EMBQA

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:29 am

Isn't it a bit risky if there is not a doctor on board?

If they get stiff, its a good sign they are dead.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

kalvado

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 am

this winter I was on UA flight to ORD. over ch.9 I could hear DL "medical" to LAS asking for landing at ORD. It sounded pretty much as if everyone believed there is no rush there - pretty strange for a medical, unless everything was clear enough.
It never made the news, so I don't know what really happened there.

varigb707

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:08 am

i was bored to death once, on a flight between LGW and MIA.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

4xRuv
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:27 am

To answer some questions:
1. This wasn't an over water flight.
2. It was a 343.
3. We were told by the purser over the P/A that no breakfast can be given as someone died and they used the galley as a medical room. So I don't know how the purser decided that, but that was the announcement. (in 3 different languages)

cloudboy

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:18 am

My ex-girlfriend's mother passed away while in flight. She had cancer, had gone to one last attempt doctor in California, and passed away on the route home. Apparently they covered her in a blanket, moved everyone around her that they could, and diverted the plane so that they could remove the body. They apparently deplaned everyone but did it fairly quick - I am not sure how they handled that part - her father stayed with her mother. They did not actually pronounce her dead, though, until they took her to a hospital. It was some Midwest state, Wyoming or Wisconsin maybe? and in that state anything of that nature they still go through the motions of going to the hospital, just to make sure that they are, in fact, dead, and not comatose. Not everyone CAN pronounce someone dead, so that is why when circumstances allow, they usually pronounce someone dead at the hospital.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

57AZ

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:01 pm

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 25):
In the US we see highways blocked for lengthy times after auto accidents until the medical examiner can arrive and pronounce the death - even though the results of the accident make it impossible for the person to be alive.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but here in the US only a doctor can pronounce a person dead. That's why folks are pronounced Dead On Arrival at the hospital. All the medical examiner does is determine the cause of death (natural/homicide). The reason that a highway accident with a fatality might block the roadway for a long length of time is that every state has some law that prohibits the police from touching the body until the medical examiner or their representative arrives to take charge of the body. Their responsibility is to determine the cause and circumstances surrounding the death.

When my maternal grandmother died, she had been in hospice for a short time after being diagnosed with terminal kidney failure. When she passed, the hospice nurse called her supervisor to notify them of the passing, then called the local police department. They came out and collected the information needed for their report-basic information about my grandmother, patient had been diagnosed with a terminal condition and death was expected. After making their report, they called the local ambulance and transported her to the morgue. The information went to the medical examiner's office-natural death, no need for further investigation.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Viscount724

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 16):
Go ahead someone flame me for my stupid math, because I know its stupid but it's just something to think about....

Life expectancy 78 years * 365 days * 24 hours = 683,200 hours in a life

British Airways flys 90,000 pax/daily * 4 hrs (average flight time --- my guess) = 360,000 pax hours per day.

So I would guess there would be 3 or 4 deaths / week on BA Flights...

But many if not most people die as the result of serious illnesses when when they're not very likely to be flying.

I recall BA stating not long ago in response to a question on this subject that they averaged roughly 1 infllight death a month.

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 11):
Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 3):

And another one made the news in BKK yesterday:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/11Sep2007_news07.php

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos