Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

swaopsusafatc

RE: 6 Years Later(9/11)

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:10 am

I was getting ready to head to work (WN in PVD). I ended up not having to go and watched events on TV. The next few days seemed like months. Sitting in OPS looking at the planes just sitting there. I remember asking my Supervisor "Do you think our job will ever return to how it was before?" He said no and I agreed. Then having to learn how to search people and bags at the gate. Co-workers crying at the ticket counter afraid for what would happen if they found something during a search. I am not trained to fight off a terrorist if I catch them with a weapon, one CSA said. As a upcoming commercial pilot I was excited to have my first job lined up flying traffic reporting. I was supposed to start September 12th, after the attacks we lost the contract for a month or so until everything was back to normal. By the time we got it back I had enlisted in the USAF as an ATC'r. 6 years later I am about to get out of the USAF and go back to WN again.

soon7x7

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 am

Just finished preflighting my 172 @ ISP,Long Island,was going to fly to Poughkepsie New York do a jet shoot, my clearance would have me just North of LGA in class Bravo at the time of attack, BUT my friend was late for flight...as we were starting taxi, airport personel ran out in front of my plane and ordered return to parking as I did and heard news,soon after that other pilot friend of mine departed Brookhaven airport on Long Island and was immedietely flanked by and forced down by F-16. As I drove home on highway you could see the towers on fire...From that moment,it was clear American living was now going to be very different.Having worked the TWA 800 event and following closely the AA #587 crash, the future world I was warned about was now at hand.

B747forever

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:41 am

God bless all who lost their lives and to their family's.

R.I.P
Work Hard, Fly Right

Mike89406

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:51 am

One of my most vivid memories of that day was that 30-45 mins after the 1st tower collapsed there was this extremely fine ash that started to rain down on us in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn I went out of the office to the road where everyone had stopped wherever they standing and were looking up or around one lady said to me I guess were going to war.

It was very shocking to say the least. the whole city had this eerie feeling for months. I remember taking countless drives on the FDR around Manhattan for my usual scenic drive and starring off at the skyline but there was that empty felling w/o the WTC in view anymore.

I also remember the increased patriotism in NY by mounting the american flag to a plastic flagpole on the cars everywhere it seemed.

[Edited 2007-09-11 17:53:10]

rampart

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:55 am

I recall waking up in bed in my NJ suburb to the alarm clock radio, a morning talk show I typically listened to. They broke into the trivial banter with a news flash that "some sort of aircraft had hit one of the WTC towers". At the time I thought, probably an unfortunate Cessna. Hadn't there been a small plane crash into a building somewhere recent to that time? The one talk show host thought the same, but his partner, conspiracy theorist that he is, warned that it might be "terrorists", given that the building had been the subject of a bombing a few years previous. I thought, what an alarmist! I was wrong, his partner was wrong, and the news just kept getting worse.

Not much work was going on at the office. We climbed up on the roof of our building where we had a clear view 12 miles distant. Reminded me of Mt. St. Helens erupting. And the news continued to get worse, everything shut down, we all went home, and the day was frozen in collective memory.

I vividly recall the silence in the air that week, except for the high flying F-16s. And no contrails. That's a significant void in the busy airpspace near New York City.

Turns out my landlord was among the last 5 people to emerge from the South Tower minutes before its collapse. (He lived downstairs from me and I wasn't even aware that he worked at the WTC.) He was featured in newspapers months later.

-Rampart

contrails

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:29 am

I was wondering if someone would start this thread, if nobody else did I was going to.

My memories of this day are a mixture of sadness, anger, and disbelief. I'm sure that an earlier generation must have gone through the same thing after the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941.

The thing I'll remember most is the commercial aviation shut-down that followed the attacks. Living in the DC area you can see some sort of commercial plane in the air at most any time during daylight hours - weather permitting, but for a few days there were only military planes to see - and not many of those. As someone who has been an aviation enthusiast for many years that made me very sad. I was delighted to see them return to the air, and even happier when DCA opened up again a few weeks later.
Flying Colors Forever!

steeler83

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 23):
I am still angry, and I will die angry. What an awful day. I still have nightmares of this, and there is not a day that passes that I don't think about 9/11.

I am right there with you brother. And I'd like to add that at my one cousin's wedding back in 2000, his best man was an employee who worked in the South Tower. He worked on the 30th floor and made it out safely, but he also has very bad nightmares the last I heard of him.

My mom's company, Marsh INC, has its HQ up in midtown, but its financial services offices were in towers 1, 2, and 7. They lost several people in the towers, particularly in the North Tower (the office had employees on floors 80-100). Another employee was on a business trip, aboard one of the hijacked planes. There is one name in her database that she did not and probably will not remove, a man by the name of Kennedy.

Those 19 idiotic cowards did nothing but kill 3,000 civilians who were doing nothing but trying to feed their families. Now they are gone, and another tens of thousands probably haven't slept a wink SINCE then! I even had nightmares about it, and I was nowhere near the World Trade Center! I had a dream that I was in a stairwell not that long ago trying to get the hell out! I pray that somebody finds that Osama Bin Bastard to remove that demon from humanity! I would do it myself if I could!

Am I angry? Naaah, why would anyone think that???
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

CanadianNorth

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:50 am

Still remember the events of YXY quite clearly: Was my first week of high school, saw the planes hit on tv before going to school that day.
Beginning of second class (was socials if I remember right) vice principal walked in, told us pack up now you're all going home go outside get on the first bus you can they are all going to the same place. We did as he asked but nobody told us where we were going, nobody told us why downtown was worse traffic than I've ever seen here, nobody told us why everyone was running red lights etc. We eventually got to the official meeting spot where we switched to our normal busses, and it was only about a 10 minute ride home.
However, there were so many parents trying to "rescue" their kids from the busses there, that it was about 45 minutes before the cops managed to clear a path for the busses, and even then it was only one at a time because everytime one bus would get through and then parents would come and park in the way again. Jet fighters flying 100 feet over our heads over and over didn't exactly help either.
After I got home I learned of the two Korean Airlines 747s that had just landed in Whitehorse, after declairing a highjacking situation and couldn't land in Alaska. Pax were deplained one by one with several guns pointed at them. Turned out that the actual problem was when ANC and FAI were closed they were diverted to YVR or something, but were too low on fuel to make it anywhere near that far. They went to declair a fuel emergency, but obviously f***cked that up pretty darn good...

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © James Connor

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

777Dad

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:03 am

Hi all,
My first post in a quite a while.
However on this day I still shed a tear or two. Even to this day.
9/11 2001 was my daughters first day of school. I remember it clearly.
As I work in a cemetery we have a place where we can set a candle at the base of a Cross to remember someone who has passed on that is far away or has never found a grave at all. Since 9/11 I' ve put a candle there every year. As I did today.

Take Care and God Bless,
Jeff and Family

[Edited 2007-09-11 20:05:20]
"I love to fly,I just don't do it enough"

Corsair1107

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:12 am

Senior year at University. No class that morning because of an event for the freshman class. The school I went to was in Western Pennsylvania, we heard UA93 go down, it was like a very very deep bass rumble rolling over the hills from the east. I remember seeing the ANG tankers out of PIT flying huge lazy circles the next couple of days and nothing else flying.
Flown on: DHC-6/8, F100, B1900C, 717, 727, 737, 757, 767, 777, 319, 320, C152/172, E135/145, DC-9, MD-83/88 CL600

RobTrent

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:26 am

RIP all those who were murdered on that sad day. It must be very hard for those left behind and I feel for them also.
T7 - You know it makes sense !

F9Animal

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 56):
I am right there with you brother. And I'd like to add that at my one cousin's wedding back in 2000, his best man was an employee who worked in the South Tower. He worked on the 30th floor and made it out safely, but he also has very bad nightmares the last I heard of him.

My mom's company, Marsh INC, has its HQ up in midtown, but its financial services offices were in towers 1, 2, and 7. They lost several people in the towers, particularly in the North Tower (the office had employees on floors 80-100). Another employee was on a business trip, aboard one of the hijacked planes. There is one name in her database that she did not and probably will not remove, a man by the name of Kennedy.

Those 19 idiotic cowards did nothing but kill 3,000 civilians who were doing nothing but trying to feed their families. Now they are gone, and another tens of thousands probably haven't slept a wink SINCE then! I even had nightmares about it, and I was nowhere near the World Trade Center! I had a dream that I was in a stairwell not that long ago trying to get the hell out! I pray that somebody finds that Osama Bin Bastard to remove that demon from humanity! I would do it myself if I could!

Am I angry? Naaah, why would anyone think that???

Your feelings meet mine equally. May those that lost their lives rest in peace, and those affected by these awful events find peace. In the meantime, I will die angry.
I Am A Different Animal!!

bcoz

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:39 am

Reading the original thread from 9/11/01 has to be one of the most surreal things I have ever experienced (much like that day was surreal).

I was a senior at the University of Missouri at the time. I remember I always used to sleep in on Tuesdays because my 9:30 class was one that was utterly boring...and thus one I liked to skip. I lived with three friends of mine. About 7:55 am CDT, the other journalism major in the apartment knocked on my door...and didn't wait for me to respond... All he said was, "Coz...you gotta see this!"

I was a part-time reporter and anchor at the local news talk station around COU. Within 30 seconds of my friend waking me up, I was on the phone to the newsroom and told them I was on my way in. I didn't shower... I didn't shave... I still remember the ball cap I wore...

We had a blend of local and network coverage wall-to-wall throughout the day. I did the 1:05 pm local update. I sitting at the computer writing my copy for the cast.... and thinking how weird it was that I just typed the sentence "ALL AIR TRAFFIC IN U.S. AIRSPACE HAS BEEN GROUNDED." It was even weirder saying it on the air. I still have an mp3 of that cast... I get chills every time I listen.

To our friends around the world, many of whom are represented on this board, as an American I say thank you for helping us during one of our supreme hours of need. Thank you for taking our diverted flights and helping those stranded. Thank you for your help in helping us fight back against the evil cowards who struck us first (as skewed as that fight has now become). And thank you most for your prayers!

To those here who work in the industry or in our nation's ATC system who were on duty that day or in the days that followed, thank you... Thank you for executing the single largest grounding of an air fleet in the history of the world...without more casulties. Thank you for working so diligently to get people home once ATC Zero had been lifted. And thank you for your part in helping to restore this nation's faith in its commercial aviation system after its greatest tragedy.

God speed to all those who were so ruthlessly taken from us that day six years ago....

God bless all those who lost a love one on that day...

And God save the United States of America!

bcoz

lh600

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:46 am

RIP to everyone lost...

fraspotter

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:20 am

I remember that day vividly. I was in the 8th grade in Germany. I went to an American school on a military base in Kaiserslautern. In Germany (6 hours ahead of NYC) school was just getting out for the day at about 3PM when the attacks occured. Though I got home and didn't turn on the TV. I only found out about the attacks about 1.5 hours later when my mom and sister come rushing home and turn on CNN right away. School on the 12th and 13th was canceled due to the highest level of alert (Delta level) at all US military bases world wide. The first day back to school was Friday the 14th. The bus taking us to school was over 3 hours late (15 mile journey) because the traffic was backed up for miles trying to get on base with all the added security. When it was our turn, we all had to get off the bus, searched, dog sniffed, and all this time having a humvee with a .50 Cal mounted on top aimed at everyone going onto base that day. Along with nearby Ramstein airbase, all airmen who didn't have a mission essential job to perform were handed an M-16 and was put on guard at all the base access points. A very scary time.....
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Eirules

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:47 am

Such a sad day even 6 years on. I think we will all remember where we were when we found out that was happening in the US. I was in Amsterdam & some Canadian hippie came up to us just after the first plane had hit. Of course we didnt believe him and went into a bar which had CNN on just to see the second plane hit. We were all dumbstruck. It was towards the end of a 4 week trip around Europe and I remember it put a very sombre mood on the final days of the trip. Returning from CDG 4 days later I remember the massive security presence, armed guards everywhere. How those events have changed the world but unfortunately I dont think aviation or the world at large is any safer a place.

May all of those involved rest in peace and our eternal thoughts be with the family and friends.

Andy
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

57AZ

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:56 am

I slept through the events. Took a few minutes to realize that it was not a "War of the Worlds" moment but the long expected terrorist attack that many criminal justice academics had expected.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

posti

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:19 am

Being born in the 80’s this is the Pearl Harbor, the JFK assassination of my generation and I'll never forget how much it rocked me.

It was my sophomore year at Purdue and the first I heard of the attack was in EET class. Somebody said "did you see a small plane hit the WTC"? We shrugged, didn't think much of it and went back to zoning out. Walked to my next class, COMM 114, where we saw exactly what was going on. The whole class sat silent and shocked for a half hour while we watched C-Span. Still in shock we started to discuss implications; war, draft, deaths... The North Tower was still standing and I remember wondering what the NYC skyline would look like with only one twin tower. The thought I most remember from that day is the walk home. I remember, ridiculous as it sounds today, walking past a patch of woods and expecting someone to come out with a machine gun and mow me down, that’s how much it shook me. I got home, turned on CNN, woke my roommate and told him to turn on the TV. He asked, “what channel” and I said, “any channel”. Aside from calling home nobody really said much that day. We watched the President’s speech, attended vigils, sat glued to the TV for weeks and slowly realized things would never be the same.

Sad for so many reasons

[Edited 2007-09-11 22:21:45]
MKE via RAC, LAF, VRN, SEA, and LGW

Osubuckeyes

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:29 am

I remember walking outside that morning and it was a perfect clear day in PHX about 90 degrees. I continued to walk to school oblivious to what had taken place. I arrived at school and people were panicing and everthing was in chaos. Our administration banned the teachers from watching the media. I didnt find out what was happening till the end of the day, but all i could think about was how can such a terrible thing happen on such a perfect day. How could this happen to America? Who would want to do this? I didnt understand the gravity of the situation as i was only in 6th grade.

My cousin was scheduled to go on a business trip returning on UA93, but his best friend passed away preventing him from going on his trip. RIP to all. Never forget

lorgem1

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:01 am

My farther died @ 0630hrs that very morning. I was on my way to close my office and to secure a flight to POS when I heard that a plane had crashed into the 1st tower. I called my wife and told her to turn on the TV (CNN), and as she was on the phone, she said she saw another aircraft enter the second tower.
I turned around and headed for home as my sister worked at the UN at that time. Fortunately she did not go to work because she was also trying to get a flight to POS. On my way home, my wife called me and was screaming and cryiny that the first tower had collapsed - I could not beleive what she was sayiny until 1600hrs that day when I saw it on TV.
I live between the approach to the two runways at YYZ. The silence was so deafening on the following days, it seemed that even the birds noticed it.
So you see, that event is etched in my mind forever.
Thanks for a great thread!

flyboy2001

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:17 am

We were house sitting that day and I had a day off. My wife called me on her way to work and told me to turn on CNN. I ran to the TV and started to absorb what had happened. Both towers has collapsed by that time (we're in Vancouver) but the replays told the story. This may seem odd but, despite the loss of human life - we didn't know the numbers yet, obviously - my first reaction was one of utter horror at the sight of those beautiful aircraft being used as weapons. I had just gotten my PPL a couple of months earlier and to me, flying was about beauty, freedom and joy. To see those planes used as instruments of such total hatred, well it broke my heart in a way few might understand.
And you... Revolution, or just resistance?

EZEIZA

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 am

RIP to all the victims.
I was living in Florida at the time and I remember that day almost by the minute. That was the day the world changed  Sad
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

KL1291

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:38 am

Amen to all victims and families from 09/11 and all war victims untill today!

af773atmsp

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:45 am

I remember that day very much.

My mom's friend called and my mom screamed "Oh my God!". She turned on the TV and my mom, my sister, and I watched the North Tower burning. While my mom was getting ready for work, and my sister was getting ready for school, I watched and then the second plane hit the South Tower. I was very shocked. I was very late for school. All of the kids in my class heard about it. I didn't know if it was an accident or on purpose. Then when I got home we watched more and it showed the World Trade Center was destroyed. In the Summer of 2006 I went to New York City. I really wanted to see Ground Zero and I got to see it. I never got to see the World Trade Center which I really wanted to see.  Sad When I was in the Empire State Building observation deck looking towards Ground Zero it looked like something was missing in the skyline.

RIP the people that died on 9/11.  Sad
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

pilotaydin

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 21):
F/A's were asking some larger gentlmen (myself included) if we would mind sitting in the first couple of rows of the plane

but how could you do that? how could they gurantee the people they asked weren't out to do the same thing.... sounds to me they were profiling from minute one if they could pick out who were the good guys etc....

it's a nice idea by theory but just as dangerous!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

brilondon

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:56 am

I remember that day very well as I lost 3 of my friends who worked in the 2nd WTC tower. I was told later that they could have left but they were helping other people escape the buildings. I was in London, UK on business and was supposed to fly form LGW to Boston on the 12th for a regional sales meeting with our sales managers for the North East US, which for obvious reasons was canceled. It was a difficult period for everybody in the financial industry. Everybody knew somebody who was lost on that terrible day.  Sad
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

Aleksandar

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:17 am

May God bless the souls of all the victims of 9/11

I was miles away from NYC that day, sitting in front of my computer in Belgrade, Serbia. At that time, I was subscribed to CNN Breaking News e-mail alert and the first few e-mails that day didn't sound that horrific. First, it was an unconfirmed information that some kind of plane hit WTC. I thought it was probably some chopper or small plane and paid no attention to it. E-mails starting coming in giving some very strange information but nothing suggested that actually an airliner hit the building. At some point, I was even annoyed by the number of e-mails received in a short period of time. Every time I checked messages, something came from CNN and everything was very confusing. Finally, when an e-mail with confirmation that airliner actually hit WTC I turned TV on and switched to BBC World. It was few minutes prior to second hit. I was in shock and couldn't believe my eyes. Something I loved so dearly was used for something so vicious.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

LoneStarMike

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:20 am

For those who missed the first several minutes of coverage on television that morning, here is a good website.

http://www.archive.org/details/sept_11_tv_archive

It's coverage from just about every major network (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, and CNN). Most of the coverage starts about 8:30 am EDT or about 15 minutes before the first plane hit.

On ABC's Good Morning America, Dianne Sawyer interviews someone about a new show that was debuting on HBO that night. All the while, the time at the bottom of the screen inches closer and closer to 8:46 am. After a commercial break, Charles Gibson interviews Fergie. After another set of commercials, the first news of AA 11 hitting the North Tower begans breaking.

One thing I noticed on NBC's coverage - On the Today Show, Katie Couric is wrapping up an interview with Harry Bellafonte and as they go to commercial, the screen changes to an outside scene. The time is 8:45. You can clearly see people walking down the sidewalk and one man, almost casually looks up towards the sky. I can't help but think this man was hearing AA 11 overhead as it approached the WTC.

It's surreal to watch what started as a typical Tuesday morning quickly go bad.

LoneStarMike

Qantas744er

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:24 am

Exactly 6 years ago on tis very day i had attented my first 4th grade class after i had just moved to Munich, Germany.
Now 6 years later im in 10th grade still living here and remember every single bit of when driving home that day with the school bus coming through the front door and seeing my mother sitting infront of the TV watching the terrible images of the towers burning!

May all those who passed away that day rest in peace

We will never forget you...

Leo
You live and you die, by the FMA

bobbidooley

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:47 am

I ate lunch in the south tower 9/11/00. I still have the reciept.
Every time I see the towers on TV, I curse- then I say a little prayer.

Bobbi
Planes make me happy.

Mike89406

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am

I found some pictures me and my wife took back in December 1997 on my 1st and only trip up to the WTC this is in tribute to 9/11

Big version: Width: 450 Height: 208 File size: 19kb
My wife in front of Tower 2 before we went up
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 208 File size: 22kb
Me at the top pf the WTC
Big version: Width: 449 Height: 212 File size: 13kb
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 319 File size: 28kb
The view looking North from the WTC at Manhattan
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 212 File size: 23kb
The View looking West
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 212 File size: 23kb

These are from from the summer 2002 after the public was able to view Ground Zero after cleanup was finished
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 211 File size: 17kb
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 211 File size: 33kb
Big version: Width: 450 Height: 211 File size: 42kb

FreequentFlier

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I knew people who made it out of the towers, and some people who didn't. I know I'll never forget and I hope none of you do either.

DLOnur

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Missed the whole thing that day as I was at my new apartment in Kent, OH, writing a paper for my first class, in my first semester of my PhD program.

Spent the entire night at a Friday's in Streetsboro, OH, getting drunk trying to call family and friends in NYC and Northern NJ whom work in mid/downtown....

Long night....the misery that has followed hasn't made me feel better either though....
What you believe is what you see.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos