6 Years Later(9/11)

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:54 am

tomorrow is the 6th year anniversary of 9/11
RIP to all that where lost

bok269

RE: 6 Years Later(9/11)

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:16 am

Amen.
I remember that day vividly. My community was very much affected. May those who perished rest in peace.  pray 
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

at777

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:32 am

I know i'll always remember that day.
Sep. 9th i get a phone call that my grandfather had a heart attack.
Sep. 10th i fly from CLT to MCO, and I remember my mom waiting with me at the gate, and on the way down i remember looking at my watch exactly at 9:03am.

Sept. 11th.....We all know what happened.

Wasn't able to get a flight back to CLT for 6 days later and it was kind of erie seeing how things had changed so much.
I get on our 737 that just days before, the rep. at USAirways on the phone said was 98% full, turned out to only have 12 people on board, not including flight crew.

Just thought i'd share how that week was for me.
I extreme to a totally different extreme!

Ashley from CLT

Mike89406

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 am

I was working in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn about 6-7 miles from ground-zero the whole city was gridlocked i remember taking the side streets to get back home to Bayridge. I could only imagine how backed up the Belt Pkwy was. My wife was tuck in Staten island because they closed down the Verrazano Bridge so I had to go pick my daughter up from daycare and we just waited. I didn't have to be back to work til 2 days later.

I also remember going out on a friday night shortly after with friends we went late at night or a few under the Brooklyn Bridge to the promenade you could smell the burning weeks after it happened. The smell burned my eyes, it was the most surreal thing I have experianced.

Not even a month after that I accompanied my wife to DC to receive award for her volunteer service, and remember riding the Metro to the Pentagon stop as we came up the stairs you could see the area fenced off where the Pentagon was hit.

kstatepilot

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:02 pm

RIP to everyone.

I wasn't anywhere near NYC, but remember it clearly. I was a senior in high school, and we just started physics class. A girl was late because of car trouble. When she walked in to the classroom she said that a plane had crashed in New York. We all went to the library and watched the 2nd plane hit.

A very sad day.

YYZatcboy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:09 pm

I remember vividly the night of september 10th. My family had dinner out in our back yard. It was such a calm night, with the moon and the stars visable behind the CN Tower from out my bedroom window. Everything was hours away from disaster. People still alive, Towers standing proud... Aircraft safely carrying people. The next day... Gone.

RIP
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

steeler83

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:13 pm

I wanted to start a thread on this, but of course, I am too late...

Anyway...

I will never forget where I was on that horrific morning. It was my senior year of high school, and I was in my trigonometry class, which ran from 8:35 - 9:20 or so. My next class after that was social sciences, which was in a classroom with cable TV. I walk into the classroom to see both TVs turned to CNN, showing the twin towers burning, and everyone with the images of shock, disbelief, fear, and the like on their faces.

My class was supposed to be in the library that day, and it was about 10:15 when we got upstairs to the library, then the librarian came to the entrance and said, "wow, this is just an awful day, they hit the Pentagon!" I was like, "WHAT?!!" Sure enough, they said a jetliner slammed into the Pentagon and that was in flames. Then of course came the rumors that one or both towers collapsed, which of course we all know was a fact...

I did stay the entire day, but I don't think the school day went normally the rest of the day. I just remember going to all of my other classes and did nothing but talk about what was going on.

I am still very pissed off like you would not imagine that such an even happened, that there are people out there who are so full of evil and darkness that they belive that committing such acts is honorable. It is not. It is a supremely disgraceful and dishonorable, cowardly, disrespectful act. And I am running out of other words to use to describe it.

My heart and prayers go out to all friends and family members lost in the tragic event that unfolded 6 years ago.

God Bless America!

ps. I wonder if Yohan can post that original thread from 9/11/01. He posted it on the "2 millionth thread" thread a little while back. That was my first time reading it... It could solely be used to read and remember, although for many the remembering bit is quite easy...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

OPNLguy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:14 pm

Love him or hate him, Mike Boyd has some comments on this 6th anniversary, and I can't argue with any of his conclusions and assessments...

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

N766UA

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:15 pm

Never forsake them.

WesternA318

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 8):
Never forsake them.

Amen to that, and to their memory. I knew Capt. Victor Saracini (UA175) as I had flown with him quite a few times transcon in the late 90's. After my move to PHX, we lost touch, then after everything happened I looked at some pictures of me as a teen in the cockpits of various planes, and there was one with him in N604UA in 2000. On the AA flights I had known quite a few of the folks as well. I remember the 9/11 in that I was booked on the Midway flight from Boston to Raleigh/Durham that day, but we diverted to BDL. What a mess...

777ER
Head Moderator

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:29 pm

I was at Ground Zero on August 21st, and just seeing all those names written on the memorial board looking over Ground Zero really hit hard as to how many lives were lost there. It took me nearly an hour just to read all the names, also reading all the messages left on boards there was also special.

Does anyone know if in Shanksville where UA93 went down, there is a memorial there. Thats one of the places I would really like to visit one day

A few nights I was watching on the Discovery Channel a doco on UA93. Tonight on several TV stations on Sky in NZ there are several different shows on 9/11, which I will be watching.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

ikramerica

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 pm

Three people from my highschool died (and we are a small HS), including 2 people I knew personally, and a girl I knew since 4th grade (had a locker next to me due to the alphabet) escaped and woke up in the hospital. My best friend lived down the street and usually walked through to get to work, but instead ran the other direction. My grandfather had an appointment in one of the towers that morning but it was postponed the day before. His insurance agent whom he was supposed to meet with perished...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

steeler83

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 9):
I looked at some pictures of me as a teen in the cockpits of various planes, and there was one with him in N604UA in 2000.

Which UA bird was that one again?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

floridaflyboy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:45 pm

I recall that day very clearly. Of course, I was in Montana, very far away from everything, but regardless of how far away from NYC we were, we all felt the pain. We felt it in our hearts as americans. I was an 8th grader at the time. I walked into history class, and saw the towers on fire on TV, and I didn't understand what was happening at first. My uncle worked in the North Tower at the time, so once I understood what was going on, it was horrifying. Fortunately, the teacher let me use the phone to call home right away and find out if he was okay, and by some great fortune, my uncle had gotten an urgent call that he was needed in Detroit, and had gotten on a plane that morning, and wasn't in the office. Thank god. And my aunt was at work in Queens, so she was safe. But, we had been in new york just months earlier, and had gone through the world trade center, and it was shocking that the place where I had stood just months prior was just a pile of rubble. That day will stand in all of our minds.
Good goes around!

InnocuousFox

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:36 pm

My wife's friend was in NY visiting from SoCal. They were to leave mid-day on the 11th. They were planning on going to the top of the WTC the morning of the 11th but decided to go the night of the 10th instead. They would have been up there as it was struck had they followed their original schedule.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

deltairlines

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:38 pm

RIP to everyone...especially to Stu and Betty (Stu worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, Betty a F/A on AA11) - you're both missed.

LASoctoberB6

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm

half of my family is flying on 9/11, and to say the least, im a bit worried.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

nycaviator

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 10):
Does anyone know if in Shanksville where UA93 went down, there is a memorial there. Thats one of the places I would really like to visit one day

Yes, there is a memorial.

RIP to all that were lost.

I still remember that day very vividly. It seems like it wasn't all that long ago. The eeriest feeling was going to ground zero a week to a week and a half later. The streets were all covered with white dust and I can see pieces of paper and debris everywhere. It was so silent, and very calm. The only noise that could be heard in the distance were the trucks starting to take away the debris.

RIP 9/11
Flying is like having eyes on the top of the world.

flymd

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:52 pm

I remember holding my second born (my baby girl) who was only 2 weeks old wondering what the world was coming to.

RIP all of those who lost their lives on that terrible day. A day that changed the American landscape and the landscape of aviation. May we never forget those who lost their lives that day.

[Edited 2007-09-11 07:05:04]
Fly the friendly skies of life!. Enjoy every minute.

TruemanQLD

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:55 pm

I went to turn on the TV and there was, on not one station, normal telivision for the next 24hours. Very sad RIP

WesternA318

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Wasnt it N612UA that was destroyed?

ONTFlyer

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:32 pm

I remember flying on the day after flights resumed around the country. It was a WN flight from LAX-OAK and I'll never forget a couple of things from that flight. The first thing was, during boarding, F/A's were asking some larger gentlmen (myself included) if we would mind sitting in the first couple of rows of the plane. They basically told us (about 6 guys) that if anything were to happen, we'd be the up front helping to protect against anybody who wanted to get into the cockpit. And the second thing was the eerie silence the enitre flight. Granted its only an hour but where you'd usually hear talking througout the cabin, there was not a sound other than the engines. Everybody had a eye on everybody else so-to-speak. Thinking back to that time is just surreal how scared everybody was and the feeling of uncertainty throughout. RIP to all the victims of 9/11 as well as those who have given their lives in service to this country in the war against terror since that day.

ONT
Doin' just fine thanks...

PA101

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:47 pm

Oh Geez - I remember just too well. I got home from work earlier (where we had sent a fax to Canada earlier, when the recepiant replied a fews days later, he told us, he had lost a family friend in NYC) that day and started watching TV around 3pm CEDT (9am EDT), around 3:15 there was the first news about the crash, being shown as subtitels on the regular program. My first thought was that it had to be another sports plane. A few minutes later, all stations started live coverage. I remember seeing the towers burning somewhat less dramatic at the beginning - reporters were still wondering, whether the sprinkler system was able to extinguish it. By that time, nobody knew for sure what had happened. I was just surprised to see both towers burning - it took another 20 minutes to confirm a terrorist attack. Then the fires seemed to get worse and worse, and the South Tower collapsed... The German cabinett meanwhile met for a crisis meeting, the whole government district in Berlin was blocked off, and police started flocking out to all American buildings/offices to guard them... VERY SCARY! The next day, Germanys biggest tabloid newspaper - the BILD - had their whole front page colored with the US flag as the background...

My Mom flew a few weeks later from LBC to PMI - I remember the tight security measures. No carry-on was allowed on board. We both had just been to NYC in April 2001, and had missed going up to the WTC...

F9Animal

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:57 pm

I was going to fly to Boston on the night of the 10th. The flights were wide open. I went home, took a shower, and watched the first part of the 10:00PM news before taking off to the airport. Needless to say, I fell asleep fully dressed and ready to go. I woke up to someone banging on my door screaming that we were under attack.

To this day I am sickened by the attacks, and there was just no justification in it. I have 3,000 reasons to hurt on this day, and I have millions of reasons to pray for everyone that was touched by the losses of 9/11. I am still angry, and I will die angry. What an awful day. I still have nightmares of this, and there is not a day that passes that I don't think about 9/11.

All of us that are a.netters obviously love aviation. This day should touch all of us a.netters, as it is the day that changed the way we fly. Many of our freedoms were taken away that day. The good days of going out to the terminal without a ticket to watch planes are long gone.
I Am A Different Animal!!

sq452

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:06 pm

I remember the day vividly too. As I am sitting here writing this in Singapore (where I happened to be as well on 9/11) just about every detail in the hours up to the attack I can remember. What restaurant we ate at, where we sat, the friends that were in from the US visiting us who joined us for dinner, the route we took home and my exact movements getting out of the car walking into the house and flipping on the TV, even the weather (which was sunny just like it is today).

I was supposed to be leaving on the night of the 12th for University in Boston. I'll never forget turning on the TV and seeing CNN and the first plane that had just hit the tower. I rushed upstairs and told my parents and brother, and only my dad took note and came down and watched. My mom was too busy packing up for the weeklong trip and was concerned I wouldn't be ready to go either as I had yet to pack for college. Shortly thereafter, I remember calling my friend and hearing my dad yell from the room about the second plane that hit, then the attack on the Pentagon, the towers falling, and UA93 crashing (I can't remember the precise order of the events). We were both in shock and disbelief. My mom was still packing and never came down and watched, not really realizing what had happen till the next morning when it had sunk in. My brother (in 8th grade at the time) was preoccupied with homework not really realizing what was going on. Shortly after the towers collapsed, my dad had called a close friend of his who had just landed in Singapore and was unaware of the attacks. I remember him trying to maintain composure as broke the news to them "There's been an attack on the U.S....the World Trade Center is gone" to only have his friend frantically tell him that he had to hang up and try to get in touch with his sister who worked there to see if she was ok (thankfully she was). We stayed up long into the night in Singapore (12 hours ahead of the U.S.) and watched the TV till we couldn't take anymore of the images. What really got to me was the images of the raids in Boston being shown live on TV of the hotel in Copley square, given that was right down the street from my school. The flights originating from Boston also shook us pretty well. I didn't get much sleep that night for many reasons.

Our flights to Boston was supposed to be a simple connection in LHR from SQ to UA on the 12th, but that never happened obviously. Working with our travel agent here trying to find a flight that worked with our Star Alliance round the world ticket we could switch to was near impossible. I think we tried every European city we could think of for a connection. We wound up leaving on a Sunday night, 4 or 5 days later. When we did get it sorted out, our new routing was SIN>MAN (via Zurich) on SQ, 7 hour connection to BD and their new flight to ORD (which proved to be the only flight that had availability of all the cities we tried), connecting to UA to MHT, over 35 hours of traveling.

Landing in ORD was eerie, and looking out the window landing you knew that the world had changed. Our flight to MHT was canceled and we were put on an AA flight to Boston that departed ORD at 8 PM. Naturally, you would have expected this flight to be packed given the timing, but a grand total of maybe 10 to 15 people were on the flight excluding the crew. It was incredibly eerie, and probably the most awkward flight I have ever been on. Arriving in BOS was even more bizarre given the origin of the flights on 9/11. It was hard to get on with school and everything, but eventually students did.

I'll never forget it and the details of where I was for as long as I live. May all those that lost their lives that day never be forgottten. RIP.
SIN > CVG > BOS

FiveMileFinal

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:19 pm

I don't know how anybody can ever forget a day like that.

I remember how I was woken up. I remember what I saw when I turned on the TV. I remember sitting there, dumbfounded, astounded. I remember the CNN website headline. "AMERICA UNDER ATTACK" I remember the holes in the sides of the buildings. I remember the jumpers. Dear lord, the jumpers.

I remember that first night. I remember walking outside and seeing no airplanes - only fighter jets way up high. I remember attempting to sleep with the TV on, and being ravaged by dreams of planes crashing into my apartment.

I remember the days and weeks afterward. The last person they pulled out alive on Sept. 12. The watch as they thought the Liberty building would go next.

I remember the prayer services. The coming together of people from all walks of life, something that has never happened since. I remember the anti-Muslim backlash but I also remember the pro-Muslim sentiment. At least for a little while everybody realized that we are all the same, really.

I didn't lose anyone personally on 9/11. Though I came close. My girlfriend's brother worked in 1 World Trade, and was coming out of the PATH terminal - running late - when he saw the disaster unfolding in front of him. First it was a jumper. Then he heard a roar and saw 2 World Trade swallow the United 76 whole. By sheer luck in the chaos that ensued he was able to get a cab back to Queens.

I will remember many misses like that, but also of knowing people who did lose friends, loved ones. I remember not really being able to deal with it for at least a year, and then going there after 14 months and seeing a gaping maw where 7 proud buildings once stood.

I remember saying that we have a lot to learn from 9/11, and 6 years later, we still have a lot to learn.

But what I don't remember is anyone really forgetting about today.

I don't know how anyone can forget a day like that.
You goin'? We fly you dere! You been? We done already flew up in dere!

OA260

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:23 pm

I was on a cruise ship in the Med. That morning we docked in Corfu, it was a lovely summers day and at around 4pm we came back to the ship and a friend of mine came running down the corridor saying a plane hit the WTC. At that point I didn't really think anything. I thought it was a light A/C. When we got to the cabin we saw it on TV on CNN and I couldn't believe it. An American woman in the cabin next to us was screaming as her son worked in the WTC. We never saw her after that day and I think she got off the ship. For the next 3 days of the cruise all entertainment was cancelled and everyone just watched CNN . Flying home VCE-LGW was a bit scary as the security was so tight and all bags incl. cabin were opened at the gate and everyone was looking to see who was on the plane.

RIP to all those who died that day and not to forget the ones that are still dying from the effects of the debris that they breathed in that day and whom the current administration ignores!!!

PA101

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:27 pm

The good days of going out to the terminal without a ticket to watch planes are long gone.

Yeah - I always LOVED that about American airports, even though, I always considered it somewhat insecure (since in Europe, they hadn't allowed that for ages).

ABQ747

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:34 pm

I was in 9th grade when the attacks happened. It was scary watching the towers burning on TV, and even scarier when armed military guards came and told our Principal to shut down and evacuate the school. The reason that happened is because the school is located literally across the street from the Albuquerque Air Traffic Control Center. We weren't allowed to return to class until that Friday.

enginebird

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 3):

I also remember going out on a friday night shortly after with friends we went late at night or a few under the Brooklyn Bridge to the promenade you could smell the burning weeks after it happened

I can still vividly remember the terrible smell all over Manhattan. Had gotten in from Iceland on Sept 9 and was scheduled to leave for Alaska on Sept 13: still haven't been to Alaska to this day.

Quoting FiveMileFinal (Reply 25):
I remember not really being able to deal with it for at least a year, and then going there after 14 months and seeing a gaping maw where 7 proud buildings once stood.

Helped friends move out of the restricted area around ground zero just two days later and had nightmares for months from what I saw there.

Let's hope we won't see attacks like these again.

NG1Fan

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 pm

I was at a trade fair in Orlando - I decided to depart the day it finished. My colleague who was about to become my next General Manager (but still working for one of our clients at that stage), joined me at the trade fair. He decided to stay.

I took off 9/10 from MCO to LAX on AA. It was a lovely flight with the sun setting over the desert into LA. LAX-SYD was on QF. When QF arrived in SYD, the captain came on the PA system and requested all passengers remain on board (which is the last thing I wanted to do after being cooped up in a 744 for 15 hours). The rare time they hold pax on board, they normally announce some sporting achievement. However Hewitt's win at the US Open was old news. Then came the announcement. Four planes crashed in the USA etc. Given that the flight origiated from JFK, and they had NY pax on board, QF had 10 staffers with open lines to NY for the use of any pax wishing to contact their relatives.

Passengers still shook their heads in disbelief. However, when we passed passport control/quarantine/customs, the boards normally displaying arrival times were instead showing endless replays of the disaster.

The cabbie even gave me his newspaper to read (it was 9/12 at that stage, crossing dateline and all). TV (all five free-to-air channels) only showed direct feeds from various US networks for the next four or so days.

Turns out this particular QF flight was the second last to depart the US. THe last came in two hours later with Hewitt & coach on board.

Better still, couple of days later, I was booked on an Ansett Flight to Brisbane the day they went belly-up....

My colleague (from Russia) was stuck on Orlando till they re-opened airspace. He ran out of money, maxed his only credit card and when he tried to contact his (then) employer, they were also out of business since their office was on Wall Street a couple of blocks up from the stock exchange. Apparently, they were running for their lives....

RIP all...

NG1Fan

CV990

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi!

For me it was the most strange feeling of loss! On the 29th. August 1998 I was in the top of WTC with my wife and two kids, we arranged that to the small detail, we left FAT the day before in the afternoon to pick UA18 flight at 10:00 PM in LAX to JFK, we would fly during the night at arrive at JFK next morning like 7:00 AM. Before we left California we heard that there was a storm passing by New York next day so I remember our friends in the West Coast joking with us that we should have umbrellas etc. etc. I left LAX on N601UA, the first 767 delivered to UA and I remember also that during all flight I was checking out the sky and the ground to see if it was "cloudy" or not. When the first light started to come I still could not figure out if the day was going to be miserable or not.....but soon I found out that it was going to be a great day indeed....so, no umbrellas needed!!! When we arrived at JFK we took a cab all way to Times Square, we literally saw Manhattan waking up, my wife and my kids were absolutelly astonished by the atmosphere of this great place, my wife kept saying that it looked that she was in the middle of a Woody Allen movie. Because we had only 8 hours transit to return to JFK again and pick our BA flight to LGW we established a "light" program to visit the most special places in Manhattan. So we started with Empire State Building, then we took the boat to visit the Statue of Liberty and finally we would visit WTC. All went really well and smooth, the last place we were, was the top of WTC and that was very, very special. After that we took a cab and returned to JFK, and I remember comenting with the rest of the family how fun it was to have that chance to visit Manhattan during our transit time.
On the 9/11 2001 I was leaving the supermarket at around 3:00 PM and I remember seeing people at the appliances store looking at images in the TV's, and I asked what was going on......and all the memories of beeing there started to come, my face must have been very strange because my wife when she saw me she was scared, and she was worried maybe because she went to the hairdresser and maybe she was delayed and I was angry.....well I pointed to the TV and then we both stayed there just looking like we were "zombies"!
When we got home our two kids joined us looking to the images and they were also very strange....they kept saying and asking if that was the place we were....then we went to see the photos again we took on the top of WTC..we knew that we would not get there anymore.
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

mika

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 10):
I was at Ground Zero on August 21st, and just seeing all those names written on the memorial board looking over Ground Zero really hit hard as to how many lives were lost there. It took me nearly an hour just to read all the names, also reading all the messages left on boards there was also special.

I too were at the WTC site last month, i visited NYC between 8-12th of August to be precise. I guess i spent about an hour at the WTC site reading all the things posted on the fences there etc, and the sign with the names of 'The heroes of September 11th'. It was an interesting feeling to be there in that place, where all of the worlds eyes were turned 6 years ago.

RIP to everyone afected by 9/11.

Managed to take this photo at the WTC site:

commavia

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Well, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I like everyone else here on A.net and around the world, will never -- until the moment I take my last breath -- forget exactly where I was the moment that I first saw the horror and barbarism that was to greet all of us on that fateful autumn morning six years ago. Even now, six years on, as I sit here writing this, the tears well up in my eyes at the thought of what they witnessed -- it seems so long ago, and yet it seems like yesterday. And I don't think my mind will ever truly be able to process what occurred that morning: the simple thought of it brings all of the emotions -- the anger, the fear, the patriotism -- back to me in a flash. And that will never go away.

I will say this, though: for me, as for many people in the United States and abroad, the attacks of September 11 had a profound impact on the way I see the world. They definitely changed the way I look at my life, and the lives of those I care about and, for many people including me, they made me even more grateful than I was before to have been born where I was born (the United States), and have the unbelievable blessings that I have had in my life.

In another way, September 11 also reinvigorated in me my love for commercial aviation, and the airline business, and, in a strange way, made me really appreciate the "big picture" of what it's all about -- what it is that we all argue about endlessly on these threads. To some these arguments and disagreements are meaningless, and inane, and petty, but of course to us they mean something, and that is why -- after all -- we're all still here, eager to share our thoughts about an airline's newest route, or why this plane is infinitely better than that one. It doesn't matter if we're American, or Danish, or South African, or Korean, we are all united here by this love and passion we all have for something that -- despite its obvious faults and major quirks -- is fundamentally a good thing for the human race: aviation.

This stuff really does matter in the scheme of things, and in a really, really big way.

The airline industry -- the movement of people, cargo and, ultimately, ideas and cultures -- across borders and oceans and mountains, will probably be looked back upon a century from now as one of the most important achievements the human race has ever mustered. Sure, the computers and the internet have facilitated the flattening of the world, and the free flow of capital and thought across borders and boundaries, but, at the end of the day, capital and thought are meaningless without people: people to have them, create them, share them, interpret them, and use them to better the world. And, after all, you can't email a person from Shanghai to Duluth, or wire transfer a person from Amarillo to Mumbai. That is where flying comes in: it is making the world a smaller and -- mark my words -- better place.

While it is a bit of corporate cheer leading, I think a quote attributed to American's then-CEO Donald J. Carty sums it up best. Regardless of what some might think about him now, in 2007, looking back on the events leading to his resignation in 2003, etc., I think this quote says it better than I ever could:

“I won’t stoop to ponder the motivation of a terrorist, but I will say this: airlines are the natural enemies of hate. We are the embodiment of the freedom and cross-cultural interaction terrorists despise. Airlines tear down walls, blur borders, and help erase ignorant stereotypes. We are the engine that powers the free flow of people, ideas, goods, hugs, fun, and love. Not only that, but we are American Airlines, in every American way – we’re big, we’re ambitious, we’re diverse, and we’re strong. We can be unwieldy, we don’t always get along, but we band together when it counts. We are free, we are determined, and we are not afraid.”
-- Donald J. Carty, former CEO, American Airlines

God Bless every single one of those who were senselessly murdered, and their families, friends and loved ones. May they never be forgotten. And, thanks to the amazing people here on A.net, and the industry that we all love so much, I have confidence that they never will be.

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:39 pm

R.I.P. all victims of 9/11.  Sad

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

OA260

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:57 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070910...;_ylt=AkIsO1iKEBkmqyWVYCbY4baOe8UF

In 9/11 remembrance, a turning to good deeds By Alexandra Marks
Mon Sep 10, 4:00 AM ET

On Sept. 11, Jacob Sundberg of San Antonio has pledged to make eye contact and smile at everyone he meets. Kaitlin Ulrich will bring goody baskets to the police and fire departments in and around Philadelphia. And 100 volunteers from New York – 9/11 firefighters and family members among them – are going to Groesbeck, Texas, to rebuild a house destroyed by a tornado last December.

This is a minute sampling of the hundreds of thousands of people who have pledged to memorialize those killed on 9/11 by doing something good for others.

The heroic acts of all those killed trying to save others that September morning has spawned a growing grass-roots movement. The goal is to ensure that future generations remember not just the horror of the attacks, but also the extraordinary outpouring of humanity during the days, weeks, and months that followed.

"It was the worst possible day imaginable, and in some ways, a remarkable day, too, in the way in which people responded," says David Paine, cofounder of myGoodDeed.org. "We need to rekindle the way we came together in the spirit of 9/11: It would be almost as much a tragedy to lose that lesson."

Sept. 11 has inspired dozens of philanthropic efforts – from groups dedicated to building memorials to foundations designed to improve education in the Middle East. But myGoodDeed has a more universal goal: to turn 9/11 into a day dedicated to doing good – from small, simple things like Lisa Scheive's pledge to help stranded turtles cross the road in Pompano Beach, Fla., to lifesaving efforts, such as John Feal's decision in New York to donate one of his kidneys to help a seriously ill 9/11 worker.

The idea has been endorsed by members of Congress, and at myGoodDeed's urging, President Bush for the first time this year included a call for volunteering in his annual 9/11 proclamation.

After major disasters, Americans have historically tapped a deep reserve of compassion and reached out to others. But in the months and years that follow, those compassionate and civic urges tend to recede. Studies at Harvard's Saguaro Seminar on Civic Engagement in America found that in as few as five months after 9/11, most Americans had gone back to their daily lives and were not more engaged as they said they'd hoped to be. Part of the goal of turning 9/11 into a national day of service is to remind Americans of the inherent joy of giving and to hopefully spur volunteering and charitable acts throughout the year.

"I don't know of any research that's been done on one day of service, but studies have shown that people who do volunteering in high school are more likely to volunteer throughout their lives," says Thomas Sander, executive director of the Saguaro Seminar.

The idea of turning 9/11 into a day of service, charity, and good deeds came from the family and friends of one man: Glenn Winuk, a volunteer fireman and lawyer who worked a block and a half from the World Trade Center. After he helped evacuate his Broadway law offices, he grabbed a medic's bag and ran toward the smoke pouring from the South Tower. That's where his remains were found after the towers fell. Mr. Paine and Glenn's brother Jay had been friends for years. They decided that turning 9/11 into a day of service was best way to memorialize Glenn.

"It completely reflects the way my brother lived his life, and it also specifically reflects how he died," says Mr. Winuk, myGoodDeed.org cofounder. "He laid his life on the line for other people that day."

In 2002, Paine and Winuk sent e-mails to friends and family and suggested they do a good deed, such as donate a day's pay on 9/11. Then the idea evolved, and they founded myGoodDeed.org. In 2004, 100,000 visited their website and pledged to do a good deed on 9/11. This year, those pledging number more than 250,000.

"A lot of people don't know what to do on 9/11," says Paine. "This hits people in their heart and their soul. It connects with something that's fundamental."

ltbewr

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:01 pm

I live 12 miles from NY CIty, and hadn't left for work in NY City (midtown) due to the attacks, instead escaping to my parents house 25 miles from NY CIty, in fear of what could happen next. For the rest of the day, I like almost everybody in the USA was in shock.
Yes, we must mourn those murdered, injured physically and mentally this day 6 years ago, but we also must look at ourselves and how we took security too lightly and allowed airlines to influence security policy before that day. While it wouldn't have been an absolute fail safe, if we had Euro levels of security then, it would have been a lot more difficult for the terrorists that day to do their acts. We should have had much more through and professional security at the airports, but we didn't want to pay for it with higher fees and time waiting at the airport. The airlines didn't want to have higher prices from those fees or pax delayed at security then either. Aircraft should have had strong doors to the cockpit as well as other design features and in-flight procedures to make it more difficult for a hijacker-terroritst to try to commit a crime. As a result of the horrors of that day too, airlines went out of business, lose billions of dollars, and we have seen consolidation of the industry not in the best interest of the consumer-passanger.
While in the USA we have made many improvements to security on the aircraft and at the airports, there are still very serious problems and many of us think decisions like to ban almost all carry on liquids on a flight are stupid. We all must realize that from 9/11 the rules changed for flying and we still need to find a way to improve security in the right way.

kstatepilot

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:52 pm

I was at Ground Zero last November. The group that I was with ( 6 pilots at sim training in LGA) Went downtown. We visited some other sites, but GZ was the place I wanted to go. When we got there, everyone was emotional. The place is eerie. I will never remember being there.

dl021

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:59 pm

Remember them.

Defeat the terrorists who attacked innocents by turning the objects of our passion and the tools of our economy into instruments of destruction by flying our airlines and living our lives.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

YYZatcboy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:08 pm

Anyone have the link to the actual thread from 9/11/01?
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

OPNLguy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:09 pm

In early September 2001, my wife and I were temporarily in between houses, and staying at one of those "home-style" hotels on the NE side of DFW. I had just taken my stepdaughter to school, and on the way back I stopped at a little donut place for some stuff. A friend of mine worked at a haircut place next door, and when I stuck my head in to say hello, they were watching the unfolding events on TV. I high-tailed it back to the hotel and sat glued to the TV most of the day.

We stayed at this hotel for a few more days, and the most bizarre thing was how absolutely quiet DFW had become with the advent of the grounding of all flights. The silence was almost kind of deafening in a way.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Baron52ta

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:14 pm

I was a driver for a limo service on that day and had dropped off my first client that morning when I heard that the first tower had been hit by a light aircraft so I pulled over and put the tv on in the car, from the pictures on the news I could already see it was more than a light aircraft so I call the office to get them to put the news on. Our service drove for many clients based in both towers, so I have met several of those poor souls who lost their lives that morning and on the first anniversary Cantor had their people who I drove that day take me to dinner with them in memory of all their dead.It struck me a bit harder than I thought it would as I had known some of the dead and also as a pilot I have offen been reminded how hostile the air can be made to be.

R.I.P. again to all who lost their lives

CodyKDiamond

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:17 pm

Today I prey to those lost on AA11, UA175, AA77, UA93, the Trade Centers, and the Pentagon.In memoriam and in there name we prey.

Amen

coa747

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:25 pm

There are a lot of things about 9-11 I won't forget but the thing that stands out in my mind is how the world came together on that day and the weeks afterwards. I remember watching as people around the world observed moments of silence and grieved collectively. After all this was not just an American tragedy. Victims of the attacks came from over 90 countries. The sense of all of humanity united as one was something I will never forget. The United States has faltered in the years after 9-11 having failed to live up to the awesome responsibilities that come with being the world's sole remaining super power. But I hope that some day we will again find favor with the world and work together. For me to hear the Star Spangled Banner played in front of Buckingham Palace on Sept 13th at the changing of the guard was a symbol of that unity and I hope we find our way back to that point some day.

lucianflyboy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:32 pm

I think everyone remembers what they were doing that day.

I had planned on flying to IAH Sept. 10th.and meeting up with my friend who was flying HOU-LGA with AA. I had listed and checked in for the flight. I was on my way to the airport and he called saying his apartment in NY was gonna be ready for another 2 days. I was still gonna go but I didn't get a hold of my cousin in NY.

Since I was off I went to hang out with some other F/A's who live a ways from my house. I stayed over night and we were talking shop all night. About 845 am one of the guys came busting in yelling that a plane had gone into the WTC. I immediately called my cousin who worked with Morgan Stanley in the South Tower. She was in the stairwell scrambling to get out.

The rest of the day was SO weird because I lived on the South end of DFW airport and it was just SO quiet. Then the word went out that they had given one flight clearance to take off from DFW. It was the CARE team heading to either LGA or DCA.

Rest in peace all who perished and thoughts and prayers for those who lost loved ones.

WestJetYQQ

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 39):
Anyone have the link to the actual thread from 9/11/01?

Airplane Crashed Into The World Trade Center. (by Hustler Sep 11 2001 in Civil Aviation)

Today is the anniversary of an enormous black spot on the history of man. May all those who persished rest in peace, and those who are still suffering heal....  Sad

Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

TeamAmerica

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Doesn't feel even a bit better after six years.

Two friends from high school died in the towers. Painful memory of the phone calls from their wives during that horrible day, asking me if I could somehow tell them something from a thousand miles away...something that would give them hope. Could they be alive in the rubble? How do you answer such a question? Six years later, I still have no answers.

For some reason I went to Founders Park, the observation area at DFW. As the afternoon passed, the airport grew eerily quiet as the engines, APU's, ground equipment...everything went silent. No worse sound than that silence.

Six years. Never forgotten, and never forgiven.
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

Alitalia744

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Rest in peace to all affected by this tragedy.

I'll never forget that day. I work on Houston/Hudson and the building I work in has a rooftop track - went out to watch what was going on and saw UAL coming toward the building. An hour later, saw them fall.

Such a sad day that will forever be engraved in the minds of people worldwide.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

RayChuang

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:00 am

What I vividly remember most about that very day was the fact I found out the new first on this very forum.  Sad

It was 0550 PDT when I signed onto the General Aviation section here and saw someone had posted that one of the WTC towers had been hit. Needless to say, I immediately turned on Fox News Channel and was literally glued to that channel until 2230 PDT that night.

LHStarAlliance

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Thread starter):

I may not agree with the politics of the US .

But this was a terrible coward attack !

God bless all who lost their lives

RIP.

Konstantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos