Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Chicago Bears 5 Hrs Late From SAN

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:16 pm

The Chicago Bears had a mechanical from SAN Sunday night to ORD. They were scheduled to leave at 6:15pm. They didn't leave until 11pm after another plane was flown in from LAX. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem was?The broken plane was a 763, tail number 667UA. It was still parked at the east ramp just east of the SWA terminal when I flew out Mon. Looks like they had about 5 mechanics around it. Another plane was flown in from LAX and landed about 9:45pm. Tail number was 670UA. They didn't takeoff from SAN Sunday night till after 11pm. Long day and night for the Bears after getting beat up by the Chargers.

Happy Landings and Go Chargers

FA4UA

RE: Chicago Bears 5 Hrs Late From SAN

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:37 pm

bird strike on the original plane... we ended up having to ferry a 763 down from LAX to SAN to cover this trip
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

burnsie28

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting FA4UA (Reply 1):
bird strike on the original plane... we ended up having to ferry a 763 down from LAX to SAN to cover this trip

Did they just not expect it to take so long to fix? Is that why they didn't find a replacement aircraft sooner since they had several hours?

RDUDDJI

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:26 pm

Getting a widebody aircraft and crew together and ferrying it to another airport in under 3.5 hours is actually pretty impressive.

You gotta give the crew time to get to the airport (unless a ready reserve 763 crew is at the airport, doubtful at that hour), and probably cancel or downgrade another trip to cover the 763 that is being taken off that line.

I'm not saying the delay was ok, just pointing out that the recovery was probably about as best as it could be.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

MaverickM11

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 pm

They were allowed to leave SAN after the curfew?
I don't take responsibility at all

HikesWithEyes

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 4):
They were allowed to leave SAN after the curfew?

I believe the departure curfew is 2330.
First, benzene in my Perrier, and now this!

Tom in NO

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 3):
Getting a widebody aircraft and crew together and ferrying it to another airport in under 3.5 hours is actually pretty impressive.

No doubt they had to cancel a revenue flight from somewhere else to make up the charter.....I'm sure there were some upset travelers from the cancelled flight.....unless UA was able to slide a third airplane in to cover that flight.

I recall some years ago the (at the time) Anaheim Angels chartered an America West aircraft out of DFW. HP called back a flight that had already departed DFW, off loaded those pax, and redeparted with the Angels. Not good for public relations.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

xjramper

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 6):
No doubt they had to cancel a revenue flight from somewhere else to make up the charter.....I'm sure there were some upset travelers from the cancelled flight.....unless UA was able to slide a third airplane in to cover that flight.

Something tells me that this aircraft was a RON flight into LAX. After MX fixed the aircraft in SAN, they probably flew the a/c up to LAX to cover the original 763 going to wherever the flight was going.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting FA4UA (Reply 1):

Thanks so much for the info. I wonder if it had a bird strike inbound from DEN on the Ferry flight or were the Bears on board on takeoff.

The same pilots flew the Bears that ferried down the 763 from LAX.

Curfew was at 11:30pm and they tookoff about 11:05pm.

It will be interesting to see if 667UA will still be in SAN when I arrive back tonight. I hope my UA 763 tonight won't be downgraded because of this.

aogdesk

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:07 am

I think the NFL requires teams to be in their destination city 24 hours prior to kickoff. I wonder how this situation is treated, obviously theres little that can be done (at least from the aircraft operators perspective)

Pray for Kevin Everett.........

bcoz

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 9):
I think the NFL requires teams to be in their destination city 24 hours prior to kickoff. I wonder how this situation is treated, obviously theres little that can be done (at least from the aircraft operators perspective)

The delay was on the flight home... after the Bears lost to the Chargers, so I doubt any sort of NFL rule would apply.

bcoz

irelayer

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:17 am

By the way, anyone have pictures of this charter @SAN? Go Bears!

-IR

aogdesk

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Bcoz (Reply 10):
The delay was on the flight home...

A minor detail that I failed to notice....(insert sheepish grin)

PanAm747

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 am

Quote:
Curfew was at 11:30pm and they tookoff about 11:05pm.

That's certainly cutting it close!! A couple of questions about the situation:

• Where the Chicago players and coaches wait during this time?

• If the plane was ready at 11:29 and took off late, who would pay the fine? I assume United would simply pass on the cost, and the NFL would pass it on to the consumers...

• If an airline charters to a sports team, is it written into the contract that if the plane is disabled they will have a back-up ready for them?

[Edited 2007-09-11 22:37:51]
  • Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

deltadc9

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:42 am

I second that.
    Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

KPDX

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 14):
    I second that.

Third that, but thankfully the doctor today announced he may be able to walk afterall.  Smile

HikesWithEyes

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 13):
    If the plane was ready at 11:29 and took off late, who would pay the fine? I assume United would simply pass on the cost, and the NFL would pass it on to the consumers...

I think that UAL would just eat the cost of the fine. The people paying for the charter (the Bears) already
    paid for the service, and if UAL couldn't provide an aircraft to depart prior to curfew, then it is their responsibility.
    I know that the actual birdstrike isn't the airline's fault, but those are the breaks.
    However, if the game was delayed, and the Bears were late to the airport, causing a delay, then I think UAL
    would have a shot at getting reimbursed for the curfew violation fine.
    First, benzene in my Perrier, and now this!

viscount630

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 7):
    Something tells me that this aircraft was a RON flight into LAX.

"RON"??? (Please remember that not everyone on here knows what jargon like this means  Wink )
    RIP Dan-Air. Where the Secret was SERVICE.

B4REAL

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Viscount630 (Reply 17):
    "RON"???

Return Over Night
    B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

777den

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:05 pm

RON is Remain Over Night

Bicoastal

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:22 am

From friends at United...I have answers......

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 7):
    Something tells me that this aircraft was a RON flight into LAX. After MX fixed the aircraft in SAN, they probably flew the a/c up to LAX to cover the original 763 going to wherever the flight was going.

MX did not fix the aircraft in SAN. It was ferried to SFO on Monday around 1:30 pm. My friends say the bird strike was substantial and left a huge dent in the leading edge of the right wing.

Quoting 1011 (Reply 8):
    The same pilots flew the Bears that ferried down the 763 from LAX.

No. The pilots who ferried the flight from DEN where the bird strike occurred on take off, switched to the aircraft that was ferried down from LAX and flew the team to Chicago. The pilots who flew the replacement aircraft from LAX dead headed out of SAN on some other flight.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 13):
    Where the Chicago players and coaches wait during this time?

The team was pre screened at the Stadium as they were boarding the buses for the airport. The 767 was parked at a remote location. Because there was no other place to have them wait without having to be re screened, the decision was made to have them wait it out on the broken plane. My United friends say the team, coaches and staff were really patient and professional. They watched movies, slept, etc. The players were allowed off the plane as long as they stayed within the footprint of the aircraft. The pilots were on the tarmac pointing out the damage to the players and explaining what was going on. The replacement aircraft parked next to the damaged plane and the passengers walked from one plane to the other. Cargo was loaded quickly with a cargo loader borrowed from American.

If there are any questions, I can check with my United friends.
    Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

sw733

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting 1011 (Thread starter):
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem was

Yeah, they had a craving for dinner so they had to drive out to Coronado for dinner at Miguel's thumbsup 

yes 

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 20):
    The team was pre screened at the Stadium

Interesting, I had no idea they did this. Thanks for the heads up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos