Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BWIA 772

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part XX

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 48):
Welcome BW415 good to see another Trini flag flying high here, but my friend BW772 will be a little disappointed that it was not another TriniBajan lol.

BW415 if this is the same guy nice you finally joined nice... I feel like this is like a Barbadian business getting taken over by the Trinidadians  rotfl 

Check the latest additions to my fleet

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

A388

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 50):
Check the latest additions to my fleet

Very nice collection you have there BWIA772 Big grin

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 48):
Quoting Bw415 (Reply 42):
This announcement was posted today on the Caribbean Airlines Website.. there is also a link for the new service

Welcome BW415 good to see another Trini flag flying high here

Indeed, welcome on board Bw415.

A388

TransIsland

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:56 am

Here are some photos of the Mexican jets in Nassau:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephen B. Aranha
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

I only hope they return to pick up their 7,000 pax on a day that 1) I'm not tied up at work, 2) is a liiiiiitle sunnier.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

BWIA330

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:50 am

So its a done deal? The Trinidad government has not approved the flights with Spirit at all?

Regards,

BWIA330

A388

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 am

Any word on NK and the 10 Latin American/Caribbean destinations they want to add to their network? I know AUA is already announced but who else?

A388

bw415

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks for all the welcomes by the way.. bwia 772.. tis me.. I have finally decided to join but you already know my views on posting here.. only when required.. nice collection by the way.

There are two articles from the Business Express which I would like to share.. more information on the CAL Tabex merger... and the other article is on CAL's marketing with a focus on Guyana and Trinidad.. quite an interesting read. Perhaps this was the outcome of Guyana naming Caribbean Airlines their national carrier??

Oct 1 start for CAL airbridge service

Kristy Ramnarine

Tobago Express employees are being separated and re-employed as national carrier Caribbean Airlines takes over its operations on the airbridge.

Caribbean Airlines acquired the outstanding shares of the Tobago carrier and will be commencing operational management of the airbridge under its code from October 1.

In a statement yesterday Caribbean Airlines said the airbridge will continue to be regulated by Government.

"Under new management the airbridge will maintain the present schedule with the current fleet and the ongoing support of Caribbean Airlines' Boeing 737-800 aircraft at times of high demand," the airline said.

"Tobago Express employees will receive statutory severance packages and offered new and enhanced three-month transition contracts with Caribbean Airlines. During this time Caribbean Airlines will work with its employees and customers to design the optimum airbridge service. Following this, staff will be given the opportunities to join Caribbean Airlines' permanent ranks."

In August, Works and Transport Minister Colm Imbert announced in a post-Cabinet briefing that Caribbean Airlines had received US$24 million from the State to update the Tobago Express fleet as Government believed this would bring an end to the woes on the airline service between Trinidad and Tobago.

Imbert said Caribbean Airlines management had informed him that the carrier had almost completed its work with respect to the acquisition of 36.5 per cent of the privately-owned shares in Tobago Express and that discussions were continuing for the acquisition of the remaining 14 per cent.

Curtis John, president general of the Aviation, Communication and Allied Workers Union (ACAWU) told the Express yesterday the union was not recognised by Caribbean Airlines.

"They are going to pay off the workers and everyone will have to re-apply to get their jobs," he said.

"In my view they are going to contract out the jobs. That is what is being done now."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_business?id=161205645

Caribbean Airlines to market T&T, Guyana as dual destination
Driselle Ramjohn

Tuesday, September 18th 2007

NATIONAL air carrier Caribbean Airlines is to build tourism links with Caricom neighbour Guyana to market Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana as a dual destination and to encourage tourism between the countries.

The airline said in a statement yesterday that the project, in collaboration with the Trinidad and Tobago Incoming Tour Operators Association and the Tourism Development Company, is geared to further integrating the Caribbean region with a view to increase the region's market share in global tourism.

The three entities, on the invitation of the Tourism and Hospitality Association in Guyana were in Guyana last week to familiarise themselves with the attractions in the country.

"The Caribbean is integrating into a more holistic tourist destination community, and combined this contingent represented thousands of tourism stakeholders who share interests in the responsible and sustainable development and growth of the regional market," Caribbean Airlines said yesterday.

President of the Trinidad and Tobago Incoming Tour Operators Association, Lorraine Pouchet, speaking in Guyana on the visit, said: "The Guyana tourism product suggests tremendous potential and an opportunity for a synergistic partnership between Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago."

She added: "We have agreed in principle to undertake dual destination marketing, since the tourism products of these destinations complement each other."

Caribbean Airlines general manger, Guyana and Paramaribo, Carlton De Four said: "The airline has created a more effective intra-Caribbean network linked to worldwide destinations with the recently added regional routes to Georgetown from Port of Spain and Barbados."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_business?id=161204558

bw415
Caribbean Airlines the warmth of the islands

BWIA 772

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanx A388 and bw415 I have the full collection on flickr maybe if I have time I will take a picture of my entire Caribbean collection...
The dual marketing is a good initiative, again CAL is setting up more meaningful relationships than BW and is actively diversifying their customer base. One wonders if they plan to work with other destinations in their network especially given the fact that CALX will be online soon.

btw as a spotter and model collector I am not digging another white livery CAL and LI are enough Big grin

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting BWIA330 (Reply 53):
So its a done deal? The Trinidad government has not approved the flights with Spirit at all?

No it is not done deal and I don't think that spirit will fly into POS this year since it is not on their list of new routes this year.
I can't say whats the hold up is but I know AA1818 can give us an idea.
All ah we is one family

A388

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 57):
No it is not done deal and I don't think that spirit will fly into POS this year since it is not on their list of new routes this year.

As far as I know NK is still evaluating the 10 new destinations they want to add to their Caribbean/Latin American network. POS could be in that list when announced this year. Time will tell though.

A388

TransIsland

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:06 am

This morning I finally started something I meant to do for a long time. A spotters' guide to Nassau Int'l Airport.

http://aranha.de/tia/mynn.htm

Let me know if there are any other features or bits of information that you'd like to see. (Not promising anything here...  Wink)

A388

Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 59):
This morning I finally started something I meant to do for a long time. A spotters' guide to Nassau Int'l Airport.

http://aranha.de/tia/mynn.htm

Let me know if there are any other features or bits of information that you'd like to see. (Not promising anything here... )

Nice efforts there TransIsland Big grin

I also made a spotter's guide to CUR:

http://www.spotterswiki.com/index.ph...uracao_Hato_Airport_%28CUR/TNCC%29

Regards,

A388

Inbound

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:23 pm

what are your views on CAL flying from Miami to Haiti return??

Would it make?
Maintain own separation with terrain!

trintocan

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:51 pm

Somehow, I do not see Haiti working for BW. BW in its previous incarnation did serve Port au Prince in the late '80s and early '90s in a tie-in with JM - it flew SXM - SJU - PAP - KIN and also some KIN - MBJ services. The PAP flights ended in 1993 after the overthrow of the then President (Aristide if memory serves me right) and international sanctions were brought to bear. With AA and Air Caraibes operating on the MIA route plus the logistical problems of getting planes to and from POS at the ends of the journeys I do not see this as viable.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

MAH4546

Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 58):

As far as I know NK is still evaluating the 10 new destinations they want to add to their Caribbean/Latin American network. POS could be in that list when announced this year. Time will tell though.

Port of Spain is not one of the ten new destinations. Those will be entirely independent of Port of Spain. Spirit Airlines is not flying to POS because the Trinidad government, probably to protect Caribbean Airlines, has not yet approved the application.
a.

A388

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 63):
Port of Spain is not one of the ten new destinations. Those will be entirely independent of Port of Spain. Spirit Airlines is not flying to POS because the Trinidad government, probably to protect Caribbean Airlines, has not yet approved the application.

Ow okay, thanks for the correction MAH4546. I stand corrected  Smile

A388

md90fan
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 62):
With AA and Air Caraibes operating on the MIA route plus the logistical problems of getting planes to and from POS at the ends of the journeys I do not see this as viable.

Air Caraibes doesn't fly MIA-PAP anymore, they did for a while, IIRC it was 2x daily ERJ-145s that left within 45 minutes of each other. Nowadays it's AA,AF and NK serving the South Florida-Haiti market, which is a rather large one.

Quoting A388 (Reply 58):
As far as I know NK is still evaluating the 10 new destinations they want to add to their Caribbean/Latin American network.

They are, Roatan,Honduras is one of them.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

trintocan

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:02 am

So the new BW is taking over TB, it seems as though history is reversing itself as TB was born from the old BW in 2001. BW had taken over the domestic route when local carrier C2 collapsed in 2000 but found it somewhat hard-going to maintain this route alongside its international ops. Now, once again BW is in charge. I hope that this will lead to a secure, regular and reliable service on the route, the region's busiest. At least it would mean that all flights would qualify for BW's frequent flyer miles (BW's domestic flights had always qualified but TB's services did not).

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

albird87

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:33 am

Just saw in GCM a White bodied JM A320... (6Y-JMF).
Whats the story on this aircraft?? New addition or is she leaving the fleet??

bw415

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 66):

At least it would mean that all flights would qualify for BW's frequent flyer miles (BW's domestic flights had always qualified but TB's services did not).

Actually Caribbean Airlines has said that frequent flyer miles will not be applicable on the Tobago route.. no earning or redeeming miles.. so the old policy still stands...I guess that would be because of their policy that on all routes they fly to customers receive a minimum of 300 miles.. for example short routes to BGI which is about 186nm.. the award is 300 miles.. and even if they were to award miles and they gave away the 50 miles for the route it would really be only a drop in the ocean..
Caribbean Airlines the warmth of the islands

BWIA 772

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 67):

IIRC JMF were one of the two A320s that JM sub leased to Eirjet when that carrier closed JM took her back. Since then she has been flying in that hybrid livery. She is the albino of the fleet just like how 9Y JIL was the albino of the BW fleet.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:22 am

BW415 you are right, I just saw this on the BW website before coming back here and reading your post. No, there will be Frequent Flyer Miles on POS - TAB. When BWee Miles first started there were no miles available domestically but subsequently they did grant 50 miles in each direction. Additionally they started with a minimum of 500 miles per flight (flights longer than that earning the actual mileage) but this was later dropped to the 300 miles which now stands. Too bad they left LHR, that was an easy 4500 miles per sector.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

BWIA 772

Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 70):
Too bad they left LHR, that was an easy 4500 miles per sector.

Do you earn less miles on BA/BW code share out of LGW??

Regards
Eagles Soar!

MAH4546

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 65):

Air Caraibes doesn't fly MIA-PAP anymore, they did for a while, IIRC it was 2x daily ERJ-145s that left within 45 minutes of each other. Nowadays it's AA,AF and NK serving the South Florida-Haiti market, which is a rather large one.

Air Caraibes never operated MIA-PAP independently. They operated the route as "Air France Regional" for a few years, however. Air France only had one A320 based in the Caribbean, so in order to operate daily service on the MIA-PAP route, Air France had Air Caribes operate two ERJs on days that the A320 did not operate. One of the planes was painted in AF colours. When Air Caribes announced service to Paris, which upset Air France, the relationship quickly ended. Now, however, with Air France basing two A320s in the Caribbean, MIA-PAP will be daily again starting at the end of October.
a.

TransIsland

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:27 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 69):
IIRC JMF were one of the two A320s that JM sub leased to Eirjet when that carrier closed JM took her back. Since then she has been flying in that hybrid livery. She is the albino of the fleet just like how 9Y JIL was the albino of the BW fleet.

Sounds about right. Check the c/n... same bird:

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

A388

Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:48 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 69):
IIRC JMF were one of the two A320s that JM sub leased to Eirjet when that carrier closed JM took her back. Since then she has been flying in that hybrid livery. She is the albino of the fleet

Here's the JM albino I photographed in CUR:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Roger Cannegieter

And here's the photo of our friend TransIsland:

View Large View Medium

A388 Big grin

BWIA 772

Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:53 am

Hi guys found this article on Flight International its an interview with LI CEO Mark Darby. Its a pretty good article so check out this link.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 71):
Do you earn less miles on BA/BW code share out of LGW??

No you earn the same as you would on BWIA to LHR. BA and BW are in a code sharing deal.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 75):
Hi guys found this article on Flight International its an interview with LI CEO Mark Darby. Its a pretty good article so check out this link.

Yeah read it early this morning. Very Nice indeed
All ah we is one family

BWIA 772

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 76):

No you earn the same as you would on BWIA to LHR. BA and BW are in a code sharing deal.

Thanks I thought from Trintocan question I got the impression that the miles earned under the BW BA code share had changed.

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 76):

Yeah read it early this morning. Very Nice indeed

Well we still have some ways to go before we declare this restructuring of LI a success but it seems that the airline is on the right path. Now we just have to see how JM will tackle their restructuring.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:43 am

Whoops - I forgot that codeshare thing between BA and BW. Thanks for reminding me! Yes you do get miles on the LGW route. Now, I wonder whether these mile only apply if one buys the ticket through BW or if they apply on any ticket purchased on the route, via either BA or BW.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

BWIA 772

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:27 am

BTW the guys on calpa said that E-175 paid a visit to POS last week apparently CAL was checking them out. Any info on this??
Eagles Soar!

yellowtail

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 65):
They are, Roatan,Honduras is one of them.

And BZE to......

On another thread....someone mentioned that it might be a good idea for CM to take over JM and do a P5 with it.
I think this is a good idea....any thoughts? Maybe CAl might be an even better fit...

CM has money, and does have the experience to turn around an operation.....
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

caribbean484

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 79):
BTW the guys on calpa said that E-175 paid a visit to POS last week apparently CAL was checking them out. Any info on this??

I'm not sure but from what is said, the JB ERJ190 was in POS for a Tech trip to CAL by Embraer, as being said they are looking at regional aircrafts fro CALX so this might be a way for Embraer to impress CAL with their new jets.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 79):

It was the ERJ190 that is the only one JB operates.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 63):

What was last said is that the POS tourism authority is looking at NK offering service to POS, however that was since may and no info on it yet.
If indeed the gov't is protecting CAL then it is because CAL is looking at FLL, I know this was said but only rumours and the only person that can confirm this is AA1818.
All ah we is one family

aa1818

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 82):
If indeed the gov't is protecting CAL then it is because CAL is looking at FLL, I know this was said but only rumours and the only person that can confirm this is AA1818.

FLL seems to have taken a backseat in CALs plans for POS. Last I heard from a somewhat well placed source (so i will not put my head on a block for this person) is that NK wants some special priviledges in POS, and is making some unrealistic demands and the TT Govt just isn´t up to handing money or making exceptions to a foreign carrier. Aain, i stress this is not one of my concrete sources but it seems plausible nonetheless.

Welcome BW415...FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...also...some news from Peru...i´m in Cuzco and flew in from LIM about 10 days ago...fantastic flight on TACA A319..great views and loads of turbulence for the entire flight over Andes!!!! Great experience for an A.Net follower!!!

Also...BWIA772 the article with Darby mentions 3 hubs...i can only think of 2- ANU and BGI...where is the third?? UVF??

I eagerly await the new CEO of CAL and TB´s plans for TB!!! New planes, exciting livery and hopefully some GREAT route!!!

BTW.i´ve been away for almost 2 weeks in total now and was wondering is CWIA was still around!! (joke)..but seriously..how are they doing???

Cheers or as they say here...Adios, Hasta luego!
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

A388

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 82):
It was the ERJ190 that is the only one JB operates.

I'm not sure I'm following this comment. If you mean JetBlue as you refer to JB than what's the link here between the factory ERJ175 visiting POS for a demonstration and JetBlue operating the ERJ190.....?

A388

BWIA 772

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 83):
Also...BWIA772 the article with Darby mentions 3 hubs...i can only think of 2- ANU and BGI...where is the third?? UVF??

UVF    no POS is going to be established as a hub. Good one btw

NK has to remember that it is not AA BA or any blue chip carrier that would actually have a shot with what may be regarded as heavy demands. In addition it really does not make sense for POS to be investing so heavily in CAL and still bringing in carriers that will only serve POS if they get government concessions

Regards

[Edited 2007-09-25 02:31:36]
Eagles Soar!

aa1818

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 85):
NK has to remember that it is not AA BA or any blue chip carrier that would actually have a shot with what may be regarded as heavy demands. In addition it really does not make sense for POS to be investing so heavily in CAL and still bringing in carriers that will only serve POS if they get government concessions

DL has been given final authortity for JFK-POS. This makes what I said more credible. It{s probably less to do about competition because if it was then the TT Govt wouldn{t let DL compete on one of CALs largest markets!! I think the Government is willing to allow FREE competition with NO concessions. This is still an opinion taken from a less reliable source, i will try to get confirmation about this FLL theory in the coming weeks!!

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 85):

UVF ?? no POS is going to be established as a hub. Good one btw

Does LI really intend on making POS a hub?? NICEEEEEEE!!!!! what are the current LI routes ex POS?? CUR, GEO, BGI, GND??? any others??

Off to go pack for my second ride ever in an A320, theird ride ever in an Airbus narowbody!!! Should get some awesome turbulence!!!

Cheers
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

SLCUT2777

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:58 am

As I've eluded to in this thread and some of the others, what is to be done about the downturn in tourists overall to the Caribbean region as a whole? USAToday had a nice write-up today about Jamaica having a plan: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ampaign_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Quite honestly I think they stand a better chance of getting more Canadians than Americans still this winter since the Canadian $$ is now on par with its U.S. counterpart, it will go further in the region. Don't laugh too hard at my comment at the end of the article (#2 in order--Dave in SLC)  biggrin 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

hummingbird

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Saw this article on ATWonline. Good news for St Lucia.

WestJet won Canadian government approval to provide scheduled service to St. Lucia from Toronto. "This news ensures that our strategic plan of deploying aircraft to warmer climates over the winter months continues," Executive VP-Guest Experience and Marketing Bob Cummings said. The LCC, which has and will continue to operate charter service to St. Lucia in conjunction with Transat Tours Canada, said it has not yet determined what its initial scheduled offering to the Caribbean destination will be.
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

2travel2know

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 87):
Quite honestly I think they stand a better chance of getting more Canadians than Americans still this winter since the Canadian $$ is now on par with its U.S. counterpart, it will go further in the region.

At BRL1.85 per USD, I think Caribbean islands should be looking to get some Brazilian tourists to come and spend their over-valuated Reais there.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

bloodyrascal

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 87):
Canadian $$ is now on par with its U.S. counterpart,

Isn't this the second time for this week? And thats means that they are 1 to 1 with The bahamian dollar Big grin

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/national_local/292578983493368.php

Anywho we have a 14% increase in Arrivals from Canada and it will only go up i guess you can say that thats the best way to look at the drop in US passengers. We should go up north in the cold eh!!!!!!!!!! :P

caribbean484

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 86):
DL has been given final authortity for JFK-POS. This makes what I said more credible. It{s probably less to do about competition because if it was then the TT Govt wouldn{t let DL compete on one of CALs largest markets!! I think the Government is willing to allow FREE competition with NO concessions. This is still an opinion taken from a less reliable source, i will try to get confirmation about this FLL theory in the coming weeks!!

I got some info from someone working at CATT, they said that the negotiations between the Tourism authority at POS and NK.
Basically NK wanted alot of concessions and the GROTT is not allowing airlines to get concessions to operate in POS, espicially routes that are developed. MIA is served by 3 flights by AA and CAL and FLL had 2 weekly flights by Travelsapn and Constellation.

Yes DL got the approval to do 3 weekly flights to JFK from December 20th.
All ah we is one family

bloodyrascal

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 am

Sort of offtopic can anybody tell me the schedule for NK FLL-ZSA route is now like 4 flights a week or something?

shadez

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting Bloodyrascal (Reply 92):

It runs Thursdays and Sundays through November 11th, before returing to Saturady only on 11/17

BWIA 772

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 91):
Basically NK wanted alot of concessions and the GROTT is not allowing airlines to get concessions to operate in POS, espicially routes that are developed. MIA is served by 3 flights by AA and CAL and FLL had 2 weekly flights by Travelsapn and Constellation.

Just as I had thought, NK has to be crazy if they expect to get concessions from the government especially on developed routes.

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 86):
It{s probably less to do about competition because if it was then the TT Govt wouldn{t let DL compete on one of CALs largest markets!! I think the Government is willing to allow FREE competition with NO concessions.

I was making 2 points, the first is that NK is not a big airline like BA, UA or AA which may actually have a shot at going to the government and seeking concessions in order to operate to POS. The second one being, given the fact that government has invested so heavily in CAL, they (the government) be wasting that investment if they then turned around and brought in carriers who received government concessions.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

MAH4546

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 94):

I was making 2 points, the first is that NK is not a big airline like BA, UA or AA which may actually have a shot at going to the government and seeking concessions in order to operate to POS.

So what if they aren't as big? That hasn't stopped Spirit from getting incentives elsewhere, and I truly doubt that Spirit didn't get incentives because they are small. They probably asked for too much.

Although, this is probably a situation of the Trinidad government protecting Caribbean Airlines and, therefore, leaving Trindad residents with less choices and higher fares. Spirit Airlines would bring fares as low as $200 r/t to Miami or $250 r/t to New York City and provide a great service to Trinidad & Tobago, but it could hurt Caribbean Airlines profits on the route.
a.

albird87

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:29 am

Hey now that BA have some 787s on their way... Do you think we shall see them down here in the caribbean?? Im looking forward to it here in GCM!!

A388

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 96):
Hey now that BA have some 787s on their way... Do you think we shall see them down here in the caribbean?? Im looking forward to it here in GCM!!

You might very well be correct but I do think BA will first deploy their 787s on premium routes before using them for the leisure market (incl. Caribbean)  Smile

A388

caribbean484

Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 95):
Although, this is probably a situation of the Trinidad government protecting Caribbean Airlines and, therefore, leaving Trindad residents with less choices and higher fares. Spirit Airlines would bring fares as low as $200 r/t to Miami or $250 r/t to New York City and provide a great service to Trinidad & Tobago, but it could hurt Caribbean Airlines profits on the route.

No it isn't. The GROTT cannot protect CAL from competition, unless its unjust because of open sky agreements they have, so to the islands of the region.
The fact is, why would you want to give an airline concessions when others operate the route being given nothing, and the links are their. People have to remember that the eastern caribbean is a very particular place, more so POS, and for NK to compete with AA and CAL plus the charters, its going to be a heavy loos for them and they know it. Also, remember NK is a private airline, so like Caribbean Star, we will not know their financial position, b ut word is that they are not making profits with their fares.
All ah we is one family

BWIA 772

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:58 am

You will not find the federal government of the US giving incentives for UK airlines to fly to the US so why should POS give incentives to airlines looking to fly into POS especially given the government investment in CAL it just does not make sense and that is all we are saying.

So what if they aren't as big? That hasn't stopped Spirit from getting incentives elsewhere, and I truly doubt that Spirit didn't get incentives because they are small. They probably asked for too much.

I agree that they probably asked for too much but at the end of the day NK is not as big AA, or BA and while what I am about to say may not be necessarily true it is the thinking that some Tourism and Transport Officials in our neck of the woods will apply. They look at NK and they look at AA they see AA's impressive route structure and think greater opportunity for exposure, better access to potential customers, NK means smaller access. As a result AA and NK could ask for the same thing and AA would more likely get it before NK. So I am not saying that NK cannot get incentives but when they come with demands that are deemed as being excessive the above thinking will be applied.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos