Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cltguy

RE: The North Carolina Aviation Thread - 3

Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:29 am

A few updates from CLT:

-Harlee Ave onramp from Josh Birmingham Pkwy is being designed by Earthtech
-4000 space parking deck on Wilkinson scheduled to begin construction in the next 6 months.
-They will replace all 1,050 of the Taxiway lights with Seimens LED fixtures which will have a 90% reduction in electrial usage and cost.
-The current round of restrooms under renovation will be complete by Thanksgiving.
-The airport is building a new $4M maintenance hanger for Mesa Airlines next to the USAirways hanger.
-Airport is contracting with HNTB to design new entrance road signage (long overdue)....as well as a new entrance road.
-A new $2.5M Corporate Hanger is being built over in the GA area.

eraugrad02

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:43 pm

In Nov. we here at ILM gets an upgrade on one of the 4 PHL flights to a E-175. Up from CRJ-200.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

DeltaAVL

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting ERAUgrad02 (Reply 51):
In Nov. we here at ILM gets an upgrade on one of the 4 PHL flights to a E-175. Up from CRJ-200.

Ugh, why can't we have one of those PHL flight here at AVL?

Faremeasure.com says there's more demand for PHL than there is for MCO, and we've got an MCO flight...  Angry

ERJ170
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 52):
Ugh, why can't we have one of those PHL flight here at AVL?

Because US Airways is not the US of yore.. and they don't care much about what the peoples want.. they have lost what they were and have fallen into a state of pure @#[email protected]#$... but I digress... There really is only one East Coast airline now, really.. and that's Delta..
Aiming High and going far..

MAH4546

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 48):
RDU-SEA is on Alaska's radar, but there are some other East Coast markets that will come first (may be a hint to more East Coast expansion by AS)..

It's PR talk. It's a nice way of saying "We have no interest in Raleigh."

I bet Raleigh gets SFO service within 12-18 months, but definitely not on Virgin America. Raleigh isn't on their radar, just like three-fourths of the cities they claim to "want" to serve. It's PR talk.
a.

eraugrad02

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:04 pm

The city of Wilmington is working right now to bring the USS Kity Hawk (last non-nuclear aircraft carrier) when it's decommissioned next year. The want to put it on the bank of the river moving USS North Carolina on the bank also and making one major museum. It'll take $7 million USD just to move it from the west coast where it is based.

New Hanover backs 'USS Kitty Hawk' plan

Story- http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20071016/NEWS/710160393

Also on ILM news, traffic is up 40% from the previous year. August had the most pax ever in the history of ILM (80,232).

We are also running a 90% load factor with 24 daily flights vs. 78% the previous year with 18 total flights. I hope we get more 737s with US than the 2 we get now. At least all the ILM-CLT trips are with equipment 70 seats plus.

[Edited 2007-10-16 13:21:16]
Desmond MacRae in ILM

DeltaAVL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:20 am

Just noticed that AVL has its August Monthly Traffic Report up:

http://www.flyavl.com/component/opti.../Itemid,294/task,doc_view/gid,118/

Some good news here - looks like load factors are the highest they've been since 2005. We've got half as many flights as we did last year at this time, but we have almost as many seats this year. That means the airlines are sending bigger planes in, with not so many frequencies.

Evidence of the larger planes are the CRJ-700s and more ATRs from DL and the CRJ-700s from US.

ASA must like AVL - we're getting 4 ATRs per day here!  Wow!

shanderawx

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:41 am

How many flights run intrastate? Can one fly to the Outer Banks (Dare County) from RDU for example?

DeltaAVL

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Shanderawx (Reply 57):
How many flights run intrastate? Can one fly to the Outer Banks (Dare County) from RDU for example?

Only regularly scheduled intrastate flights are:

CLT-RDU
CLT-AVL
CLT-ILM
CLT-GSO
CLT-FAY (Fayetteville)
CLT-PGV (Greenville)
CLT-OAJ (Albert J. Ellis - Onslow County)
CLT-EWN (Craven County)

And then there's Pelican Airways, but nobody really knows what's going on with them:

http://www.ocracokeisland.com/pelican_airways.htm

But, as you can see, other than Charlotte, we really don't have much in the way of intra-Carolina flights.  Sad

eraugrad02

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 58):
CLT-OAJ (Albert J. Ellis - Onslow County)
CLT-EWN (Craven County)

OAJ (Albert J. Ellis) it's in Jacksonville, NC
EWN is New Bern, NC
Desmond MacRae in ILM

ERJ170
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:13 pm

I think some intra-Carolina flights could work.. I think the NCDOT should approach Cape Air or Pacific Wings and see if they can offer some intra-Caro-ginia flights.. Some flights between NC, SC, and VA would work really well..

They can have mini hubs at RDU, GSO, MQI, CHS, and ORF.. I'm sure there are more than 20 people who would fly to the Outer Banks from all of those places..

I can tell ya.. even once dailies between EWN-AVL, CHS, ORF, and RDU would work on a 9 seat aircraft.. and the possibilites.. wow.. but I digress...

MattRB

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 58):
And then there's Pelican Airways, but nobody really knows what's going on with them:

Sorry, still working on winning the lottery so I can buy them out  Wink
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

DeltaAVL

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 61):
Sorry, still working on winning the lottery so I can buy them out

Oh, good - let us know when you win.

I'd be willing to throw in a few dollars toward the sale!  Wink

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 62):
Oh, good - let us know when you win.

I'd be willing to throw in a few dollars toward the sale!

I'd go in too.. if you hit PowerBall, I'll try to get MegaMillions...

But we'd have to agree on the aircraft type cause I can't work with the one's Pelican has now.. and I can't work with the name...

MattRB

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 63):
I'd go in too.. if you hit PowerBall, I'll try to get MegaMillions...

No such beast north of the border.. and I don't think I'd eligible to win if I bought in NY.. I'll have to keep up with the Super7 or Lotto6/49 for now  Smile

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 63):
But we'd have to agree on the aircraft type cause I can't work with the one's Pelican has now.. and I can't work with the name...

I'd keep the name, simply for whatever brand loyalty it would bring with it (if folks found the service favorable in the past).

As to a/c type, I was thinking Grand Caravan in an 8 passenger config.

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 62):
I'd be willing to throw in a few dollars toward the sale!

If I ever get this off the ground, I'll let you know and you can be one of my consortium of financial backers  Wink
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 64):
No such beast north of the border.. and I don't think I'd eligible to win if I bought in NY.. I'll have to keep up with the Super7 or Lotto6/49 for now

Time to move south of the border.

I'd keep the name, simply for whatever brand loyalty it would bring with it (if folks found the service favorable in the past).

As to a/c type, I was thinking Grand Caravan in an 8 passenger config.

Hehehehe.. maybe around the outer banks.. but elsewhere.. I don' t think there is any loyalty.. I would say rename it... Atlantica..

As for aircraft... Grand Cessna in 9 pax configuration and E70 in 68 pax configuration.. hehehehe..

If I ever get this off the ground, I'll let you know and you can be one of my consortium of financial backers

Don't forget the Goodnight's.. they were willing to back Midway.. I'm sure they will back someone else..

MattRB

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 65):
Time to move south of the border.

Oddly enough, it's one of the ways one can immigrate to the US.. I'd just have to base the airline out of a spot in NC/SC/VA where unemployment is high and spend a minimum of $500K, employing at least 10 US citizens..

As for aircraft... Grand Cessna in 9 pax configuration and E70 in 68 pax configuration.. hehehehe..

Whoa there, cowboy.. start smaller.. Sticking with the Embraer family of jets, maybe start off with a Phenom 100 in the Limo config.. or an ERJ 135/145..

Hehehehe.. maybe around the outer banks.. but elsewhere.. I don' t think there is any loyalty..

Well, if it's around the OBX, that's good, since we'd be starting there.. and if there isn't anywhere else, we'll just have to go out and build some..

I would say rename it... Atlantica..

Not bad.. I've been tossing Shorelines Aviation around in my head..

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:31 am

OKay... here it is... the ultimate plan to stay under costs...

Assuming we are just trying to keep it regional...

NEW Cessna Grand Caravan in 9 seat configuration
Hire Operations staff.. Management covered by 3 people.. Finance Officer, Operations Officer, Business Officer
Start with 3 routes.. MQI-RDU/ORF/EWN
Each city after that must pledge $250K for startup and advertisement
Each city gets at least 5 daily flights (although not all to the same location)
Each city must hire airport employeed ground and counter staff (airline handles only inside the aircraft)
Electronic boards showing departing flight, arrival flight, weather at destination, flight status, and picture from location

Need a name that is more universal, so that flights not from the shore (RDU-ORF/CHS/AVL) would be applicable.. since Mid-Atlantic was already taken.. I thought.. oh well, Atlantica! or perhaps Colonial!

DeltaAVL

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:33 am

E70 in 68 pax configuration.. hehehehe..

A very long way off.  Wink

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 67):
Colonial

Ooooo! I like!

eraugrad02

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:24 am

Need a name that is more universal

Tarheel Express. lol.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

MattRB

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 am

NEW Cessna Grand Caravan in 9 seat configuration

Got the sales brochure right here next to me. I had no intention of buying used. Although a little more expensive to get a zero time aircraft, I was looking to get something that wouldn't require reconfiguring and could be flown out from day one.

Start with 3 routes.. MQI-RDU/ORF/EWN

Based at EWN

Each city after that must pledge $250K for startup and advertisement

I'd say we look into helping them get EAS grants if at all possible to ease the financial burden as much as possible on the city.

Each city gets at least 5 daily flights (although not all to the same location)

How many planes would we be looking at just for start up?

Each city must hire airport employees ground and counter staff (airline handles only inside the aircraft)

I'd rather keep that all in-house (have a cross trained agent that can handle both counter and ramp - pilots help in loading of baggage).

Electronic boards showing departing flight, arrival flight, weather at destination, flight status, and picture from location

I like this idea.

Need a name that is more universal ... perhaps Colonial

First thing that popped to mind was the logo that RW uses..

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:52 am

3 things to note:

1. United is moving to 3 daily 737 flights to IAD starting in 15Dec07. Is that a sign of good things?

2. The USDOT awarded a Small Community Service Grant to the NC Consortium for on-demand taxi service using 3 different companies to start...

3. Purolator is opening their Southeast Regional HQ at RDU for small package and freight service. They are looking at US-Canada and domesticate deliveries, where the RDU HQ will support North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama. They will be moving into a 5000 sq ft office and distribution center at RDU soon (where is this?). Hopefully that means we will see several Purolator 727s at RDU soon?.?.?

ERJ170
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:13 am

Another tid-bit..

4. The Medical Air Operation from Horace Williams Airport in Chapel Hill will move to RDU in a new hanger that is to be built in 16 to 21 months..

delta767

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:35 pm

What will the small service community grant offer? flights to the coastal cities as has been discussed before?

eraugrad02

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:12 pm

To bad NC cant get inter-carolina service. Hell even add CAE as a hub to feed South Carolina folks. I'm sure with the right mind this could be made to work.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

cannibalz3

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:22 am

What do you guys think of an airline based out of Asheville (AVL)? Fly to, say, Greensboro, Knoxville, Columbia?

DeltaAVL

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting CannibalZ3 (Reply 75):
What do you guys think of an airline based out of Asheville (AVL)? Fly to, say, Greensboro, Knoxville, Columbia?

It could work, I presume, AVL certainly has the tourist appeal warrant the flights, but a more realistic idea would be an airline based at RDU or GSO that flies to AVL, TYS, CAE.

I'm sure that with the right business plan, the AVL plan could theoretically work.

RDUDDJI

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:29 am

Somehow I missed this thread... It's becoming fall/winter in CHI and we are beginning hibernation mode.

Quoting MattRB (Reply 37):
How long have they had those colored vinyl banners hanging from the ceiling in C? I don't seem to recall them from the last time I flew through RDU. Reminded me of YYZ T2 in the early 80s with the colors.

Haha, those are hilarious. My friend's Mom helped make those back in the 80's

Quoting Cltguy (Reply 40):
I know it is pretty common to do this type thing for a new runway before it opens...but this is the first I have heard of an active airport having a 5K run on current runways. Has this happened anywhere else?

Every year IAD closes a RWY on one Saturday so some biker group can do a charity event on it.

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 48):
So when does RDU want SFO service? well, they are hoping for a nice Christmas gift.. *wink* perhaps, like Mary, a Virgin will be the answer..

I would expect VX to serve SFO-CLT before RDU (due to banking ties). However, I don't think they'll do either anytime soon. I'm not familiar with US's service freq on the CLT-SFO route (don't have Apollo on this laptop), but it wouldn't surprise me if UA decided to serve it too.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ERJ170
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:38 am

Other news...

Craven County Regional Airport (EWN) is about to start work on their new General Aviation Terminal.. 4000 sq feet.. furniture purchased by local large companies including Hatteras Yacht and Bosch amongst others..

gsoflyer

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:53 am

You know, why can't air travel in the US work like Air Travel in Europe. I take Air Berlin from Stansted to Paderborn on a 737. Basically the 3rd or 4th London to a middle of nowhere German city the size of High Point, NC alone. Paderborn has flights to North Africa. Heck, look at most of Ryan Air's destinations, or Easy Jet, Air Berlin, etc.

So, why is it that Europeans will file onto a plane for $40 and get a direct flight to another small city, but the US has such trouble sustaining not only flights like airlines like IndyAir, Skybus (reported here, not in reality), And so many other airlines that have failed????

Do the European arilines get bailed out a ton by the governments? Fares certainly are cheaper? So how does it work there and not here????

And I have to say, I an surprised that no Skybus information is here... Especially if Greensboro gets a flight to the Bahamas.

articulatexpat

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:21 am

Any word on whether PGV (Greenville) will get flights to IAD from United (Express)?

RDUDDJI

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 71):
1. United is moving to 3 daily 737 flights to IAD starting in 15Dec07. Is that a sign of good things?

RDU also loses an express flight on same date... Win/loss situation. RDU pumps a ton of Int'l conx through IAD on both UA and the other *A carriers. The new AM mainline flight connects to UA's 2nd largest bank of the day at IAD (the 8-9am departures) which is almost all domestic (excepts for one LHR trip and the Caribbean flights). I've heard recent rumors of Pilot shortages at YV which might also have something to do with it.

P.S. RDU-IAD on UA is the shortest UA mainline flight at IAD...and one of the shortest (year round anyway) in the system. (Homework, name some UA mainline routes shorter than RDU-IAD, excepting Hawaii). GRR-ORD is one. DEN has a few seasonal ones, but no year round ones that I'm aware of. I'm having a hard time coming up with others!

eraugrad02

Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:39 am

Instead of ExpressJet competing against Eagle out of RDU, why can't they do inter Carolina service? Fly to cities where there is no competition. 3 trips (FAY-RDU, ILM-RDU, AVL-RDU, MYR-RDU, CAE-RDU). 2 trips (Hickory-RDU, OAJ-RDU, EWN-RDU). These type system would I'd think make money no?
Desmond MacRae in ILM

delta767

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:19 am

Interesting article detailing GSO's future hopes and wish list cities. Anyone think UA, US, or DL may jump into the fray if SX starts doing well with the new routes at GSO? Would be nice to finally have a west coast hub to connect through...

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...GArticle&cid=1173353278041#pagetop

ERJ170
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting ERAUgrad02 (Reply 82):
Instead of ExpressJet competing against Eagle out of RDU, why can't they do inter Carolina service? Fly to cities where there is no competition. 3 trips (FAY-RDU, ILM-RDU, AVL-RDU, MYR-RDU, CAE-RDU). 2 trips (Hickory-RDU, OAJ-RDU, EWN-RDU). These type system would I'd think make money no?

Well, it would mean ExpressJet would have to open up all new stations at FAY, ILM, AVL, MYR, CAE, IKY (Whatever Hickory is), OAJ, and EWN.. that right there is 8 stations and probably would not even represent the most profitable (my guess would be ILM, ORF, CHS, CAE, AVL, and EWN).. But at, let's say $250K/station to open.. that is $2 million alone.. and for only 2 or 3 flights a day, the cost isn't worth it...

uncgso

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 84):
IKY (Whatever Hickory is)

HKY

eraugrad02

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 84):
Well, it would mean ExpressJet would have to open up all new stations

They could just contract out to another airline to ground handle these flights.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

Super80DFW

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:26 pm

I flew into RDU from CVG on an ERJ in last June. Flew out of RDU to ATL on a 757. Biggest plane I've ever been on.

Rbgso

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Gsoflyer (Reply 79):
Especially if Greensboro gets a flight to the Bahamas.

Wow!
I live in GSO. I would be shocked if this happened. I'm not sure there is a market for this.

DeltaAVL

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 87):
I flew into RDU from CVG on an ERJ in last June. Flew out of RDU to ATL on a 757. Biggest plane I've ever been on.

Your point?

Just kidding, I know, it's amazing the amount of 75s DL sends to RDU...  Wink

MattRB

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:11 pm

BrettFromCLT

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:54 pm

New International terminal for CLT?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2007/11/05/story1.html

This is apparently already being discussed somewhere but I can't find it...

Brett

MattRB

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting BrettFromCLT (Reply 91):
This is apparently already being discussed somewhere but I can't find it...

Couldn't either until today..
Charlotte Plans To Add 25 Int'l Gates (by USADreamliner Nov 6 2007 in Civil Aviation)

RDUDDJI

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:18 am

Well all, I feel this is an appropriate stage to announce my "return to Raleigh" in. I am leaving the airline industry, effective in two weeks and taking an IT Engineering Sales job in an un-related industry. I can't wait to get back to NC. As much as I love this industry, but it's been a tough last few years, and alas I am relatively young, so I think I'll try my hand at something new. I have made some of the greatest friends I could ask for, and seen some amazing parts of the World.

I fear that my interest in things airline related will slowly fade out, but ironically, I will be flying around the Southeast quite a bit for my new job. It'll be nice to not have to play the NRSA game.  Smile

Anyway, I will (obviously) be a huge proponent of any new service to RDU! And now I'll get to go to Wolfpack B-ball games! (I already go to all home Fball games). Anywho, hopefully I'll see you all around NC.

ERJ170
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 93):
I feel this is an appropriate stage to announce my "return to Raleigh"

I am so mu-freaking jealous! I am so ready to move back.. DAngit!

I fear that my interest in things airline related will slowly fade out,

Well, never worked in the airline industry and my interest is high. Don't sell yourself short.

And now I'll get to go to Wolfpack B-ball games! (I already go to all home Fball games).

Ohhhhhhh.. you one of those Agricultural Technical Community College fans, huh? Ohhh.. I soooo sorry.. But, I guess it could be worst.. you could be.. a Dookie.. *as the general audience runs in fear and terror*

JROTTO

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:28 am

What is the future of the AA RDU-LGA route. I fly this route 6 or 7 x a year and have started to only fly the mainline route since i find it to be a much more enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, the flights never seem to be full.

DeltaAVL

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Report/Rumor: Eastern Air Lines To Be Reborn With A319s (by FCKC Nov 18 2007 in Civil Aviation)

With this news, and assuming Eastern actually starts operations, could it mean intra-Carolina flights are coming?

eraugrad02

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 96):
could it mean intra-Carolina flights are coming?

Why do you ask that? Only cities that could fill A319 is RDU, CLT, ILM, GSO, and maybe FAY, AVL.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

MattRB

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 96):

With this news, and assuming Eastern actually starts operations, could it mean intra-Carolina flights are coming?

With sector lengths being so short, I don't think it would be economical to do it with a 319.

DeltaAVL

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting ERAUgrad02 (Reply 97):

Why do you ask that? Only cities that could fill A319 is RDU, CLT, ILM, GSO, and maybe FAY, AVL.

Because back in the day, Eastern was very prevalent around here, and I was thinking that maybe, if the new Eastern acquired some smaller aircraft, that intra-Carolina flights might be a good idea for them.

But no, not with A319s. I was thinking something along the lines of ERJ-170s, or even secondhand MD-80s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos