Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJ_Delta
Topic Author

Air Comet Chile Launched

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:48 am

The last Wednesday (September 12) Marsans Group launched in Santiago Air Comet Chile the new name of its subsidiary Aerolineas del Sur.

During the ceremony Marsans presented the new color scheme (the same of Air Comet) of the company in one of its 5 Boeing 737-200Adv. (CC-CFD). Also they revealed its plans for the rest of year and the 1st quarter of 2008.

New Aircrafts:

Actually Air Comet Chile ( ex Aerolineas del Sur) operates 5 Boeing 737-200Adv (CC-CFD, CC-CPJ, CC-CGM, CC-CSK, CC-CSW). Marsans will expand the fleet from October 2007 with 3 more Boeing 737-200 Adv, two ex LAN Airlines (CC-CZK and CC-CZO) plus another B732 and two Boeing 737-500 (ex Air France) by the end of the year or January 2008.

New Destinations:

Air Comet Chile ( ex Aerolíneas del Sur) serves from Santiago (SCL) five destination in Chile: Antofagasta, Iquique, Calama, Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas with two or three daily flights. For the rest of the year Air Comet Chile will open new destinations and will increase the frequencies. For October 2007 will open the Santiago-Concepcion route with 2 daily flights.

By the end of the year Air Comet Chile will open internationals flights to Buenos Aires with 2 daily flights to offer 6 daily flights in co operations with Aerolineas Argentinas, and probably a non stop flights to Lima or with one stop in Arica (Chile northern city).

The first Boeing 737-200Adv in Air Comet Chile livery.

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 333 File size: 34kb

PavlovsDog

RE: Air Comet Chile Launched

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 am

Competing with LANChile domestically is a certain way to lose money, especially for an airline that isn't able to differentiate itself. What is their competitve advantage?

dellatorre

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:49 am

How long is this suppose to last?? 6 months???

Honestly, Air comet doesn't have what it takes to succeed against LAN. They have hard time to Lantin America, imagine inside Chile.

teva

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting PavlovsDog (Reply 1):
especially for an airline that isn't able to differentiate itself. What is their competitve advantage?

Very simple: they use old 732s where Lan uses the A32X family and still delivers its great service.....

Teva

MD11junkie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting PavlovsDog (Reply 1):
Competing with LANChile domestically is a certain way to lose money, especially for an airline that isn't able to differentiate itself. What is their competitve advantage?

They offer C and a much better catering, along with a pretty intense fare offer, making it cheap for passengers to fly.

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 2):
How long is this suppose to last?? 6 months???

Honestly, Air comet doesn't have what it takes to succeed against LAN. They have hard time to Lantin America, imagine inside Chile.

They've been here for about 2 years, as Aerolineas del Sur, and they've been kicking Sky Airline's butt ranking second on market share on routes the operate. I think they pretty much have a customer base now.

Gastón.

MD11junkie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:06 am

Here you have some figures - August 2007:

Market Share:

LAN 72,3%;
Sky Airline 17,2%
Aerolíneas del Sur / Air Comet Chile 10% (+52,2% compared to August 2006).

(figures provided by Junta Aeronáutica Civil - JAC).

Gastón

SJOtoLIR

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:35 am

Air Comet Chile is not only competing with LA in the domestic market.
They also would pick up passengers from its destinations in Chile toward Spain and face the oneworld system given by LA-IB.
A7 does not support daily operations on the track MAD-SCL-MAD and this fact is not any advantage for them.
By the way, instead to deploy a daily A7 MAD-SCL, they may have the chance to provide an accurate possibility to transfer passengers with the size-able operations EZE-MAD whether by means of A7 or AR, regarding the partnerships between them. This relationship may be enhanced for the new SCL-EZE on Air Comet Chile.
The disadvantage is the layover in EZE while IB can supply a daily nonstop SCL-MAD.
The route SCL-EZE shows a lot of competitors and frequencies. They would not focus in origin-destination traffic exclusively in such route. AR may supply other services from EZE on behalf Air Comet Chile.
Regards.

RJ_Delta
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:47 am

As MD11junkie said, Air Comet Chile (ex Aerolíneas del Sur) offers good catering for a domestic flights, even superior than others carriers. One of strategies of Marsans to increase its participation in the Chilean market is off a high quality product, with a good attention on board combined with interesing fares.

Here is a picture of the new catering offered by Air Comet Chile:

Also they have introduced an "integrated fares" with Air Comet to offers attractive tickets to flight from the different region in Chile to Europe (MAD, FCO, CDG, LGW), cheaper than any other airline. For example:

Iquique to Madrid (RT) departing Sep. 20 returning Sep 26

With LAN (LA)
IQQ-SCL-MAD: USD$ 4.242 + taxes

With Air Comet Chile/Air Comet (3I /A7)
IQQ-SCL-MAD: USD$ 1.614 + taxes

Adding more information:

Air Comet will increase its frequencies to Santiago offer 4 weekly non stop flights from MAD from November 5 operated by an Airbus A340-300.

[Edited 2007-09-17 23:52:03]

ghost77

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 4):
They've been here for about 2 years, as Aerolineas del Sur, and they've been kicking Sky Airline's butt ranking second on market share on routes the operate.

Well, Sky has always had problems. But sure it will be very tough to kick LA's, besides, with their LASER project a total success, i bet lots of people prefer to fly LA against the rest.

g77

MD11junkie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 8):
Well, Sky has always had problems. But sure it will be very tough to kick LA's, besides, with their LASER project a total success, i bet lots of people prefer to fly LA against the rest.

I don't think 3I is aiming at "dethroning" LA from the ruling of the chilean domestic Market, however, what they do aim is to have a healthy operation and make a name with a wide customer base.

What you bet might be correct, but what's real is just another thing. Many people may not know there's another option, or just like in Argentina, many other people don't have a choice.

Gastón - The MD11junkie

RJ_Delta
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Air Comet Chile is dethroning to Sky Airline. In the route where the two carriers (3I and H2) operates Air Comet Chile has 11,2% market share and Sky Airline has 19,4% but only in August. On June 3I reached 16,9% and H2 19,8% of the domestic market share.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 10):
Air Comet Chile is dethroning to Sky Airline. In the route where the two carriers (3I and H2) operates Air Comet Chile has 11,2% market share and Sky Airline has 19,4% but only in August. On June 3I reached 16,9% and H2 19,8% of the domestic market share.

It makes sense that Air Comet Chile grows due 3I is playing a new role in order to feed the A7 planes to MAD and the rest of its destinations in Europe.
If they fly to Argentina in a near future, the logical sense established that the figures posted out above shall be rather increased.

LTU932

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Thread starter):
The first Boeing 737-200Adv in Air Comet Chile livery.

Everytime I see that colourscheme on that 737, I'm reminded of IA's colourscheme, I don't know why.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dave Sturges

upperdeckfan

Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:59 pm

Remember that most of the traffic from LatAm to Spain is VFR which will take the lowest fare available no matter the route or the aircraft type. This fact might help A7 down the road.

I agree that nobody will dethrone LA as the leading chilean carrier (both domestic and int'l) but competition is always a good thing for us the customers. If they can get their piece of the cake it will help LA keep up to their current standards and not feel overconfident.

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 7):
Iquique to Madrid (RT) departing Sep. 20 returning Sep 26

With LAN (LA)
IQQ-SCL-MAD: USD$ 4.242 + taxes

With Air Comet Chile/Air Comet (3I /A7)
IQQ-SCL-MAD: USD$ 1.614 + taxes

I'd assume LA fare shown is at least full Y if not J, restricted-Y should be much more closer to A7 (and cheapier). I'd expect LA to be overbooked that day or at least 100%.

MD11junkie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 13):
Remember that most of the traffic from LatAm to Spain is VFR which will take the lowest fare available no matter the route or the aircraft type. This fact might help A7 down the road.

I think your point would be valid if you phrased it the other way around, from Spain to Latin America.

If they can get their piece of the cake it will help LA keep up to their current standards and not feel overconfident.

I'm sorry, but LA has done nothing but lower costs with, ultimately, lowering costs on catering and services to passengers - and... their current fembots.

I'd assume LA fare shown is at least full Y if not J, restricted-Y should be much more closer to A7 (and cheapier). I'd expect LA to be overbooked that day or at least 100%.

That's what you get with both restricted-Y's on their respective websites.

Gastón - The MD11junkie

upperdeckfan

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 14):
I think your point would be valid if you phrased it the other way around, from Spain to Latin America.

Both ways, I know LatAm's living in Spain who bring family to visit them instead of the other way around.

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 14):

That's what you get with both restricted-Y's on their respective websites.

Don't get it personal, but there is no way I'm going to believe the minimum you have to pay to get from Chile to Spain on LA is above 4200USD, it would be imposible for them to fill a plane, 4000 to 5000 USD is IB J fare on most of their LatAm routes.

RJ_Delta
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 15):
Don't get it personal, but there is no way I'm going to believe the minimum you have to pay to get from Chile to Spain on LA is above 4200USD, it would be imposible for them to fill a plane, 4000 to 5000 USD is IB J fare on most of their LatAm routes.

It's hard to believe? Simple! Check LAN ´website.

upperdeckfan

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 16):
It's hard to believe? Simple! Check LAN ´website.

I did it, and the high fare is because of last minute (Sep 20th is tomorrow), if you ask for the same itinerary in Oct it gets around 2500 USD.

Anyway these fares are insane and shows an alarming lack of offer from Chile to Europe. If LA is able to fill an A340 with fares beginning at 2500 USD then I understand why they're believed to be the most profitable LatAm carrier.

Just a side note, I'm flying VLC-MAD-LHR-LAX on BA ClubWorld in October for a total of 3750 EUR R/T (less than 5000 USD) and LHR-LAX is supposed to be one of the highest yielding routes of all, so if BA can make money on this one with such prices can you imagine how much is LA making?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos