Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BP1
Topic Author

The Creation Of Phoenix/Mesa Gateway Airport

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:08 am

At a board meeting held earlier today, 17 September, authorized the name change of Williams Gateway Airport in Mesa / Gilbert / Queen Creek & Gila River Indian Community will be named PHOENIX / MESA GATEWAY AIRPORT effective 15 October.

The name change represents a significant step forward for this airport as it can now be considered in the public eye to be a substitution to PHX Sky Harbor. In addition, with about only three gates available at PHX, this airport is a alternative reliever for O&D traffic to the Phoenix area. Hopefully, this name change will allow other carriers not serving PHX to consider this airport as a new base of operations.

A new web site will be launched soon and a press release should be forth coming later today.

Fantastic marketing idea and footwork in getting this accomplished.

Cheers,
BP1
Stroopwafel Expert

AirTranTUS

RE: The Creation Of Phoenix/Mesa Gateway Airport

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting BP1 (Thread starter):
Hopefully, this name change will allow other carriers not serving PHX to consider this airport as a new base of operations.

Skybus? We know Allegiant is going to begin a lot of flights there, Skybus could be next.
I love ASO!

HUbsnotDubs

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:31 am

The one question I have is do you think any cargo service would leave PHX for IWA? There is a pretty new medium sized cargo facility on the field that hasn't had much use. As for more airlines, what about XJet?

AirCop

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting HUbsnotDubs (Reply 2):
The one question I have is do you think any cargo service would leave PHX for IWA

Skyharbor is centrally located for the whole valley, that it would take a heck of a deal for any major cargo operators to move 20 miles east to IWA.

Quoting BP1 (Thread starter):
Fantastic marketing idea and footwork in getting this accomplished.

Not this hasn't been done before in other areas, i.e. Chicago-Rockford etc. and I doubt without the push from G4 it still wouldn't have been done.

AirTranTUS

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:07 am

As for more airlines, what about XJet?

Serving the Phoenix area would seem to go against what XJet is trying to do. They are serving routes not already served by other carriers. You can fly to anywhere XE would serve from IWA from PHX. This is not true for most of their other destinations. Routes from ONT due not count in that comparison because ONT is different from LAX.
I love ASO!

FlyAZA

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 am

The one question I have is do you think any cargo service would leave PHX for IWA? There is a pretty new medium sized cargo facility on the field that hasn't had much use. As for more airlines, what about XJet?

That building is 25,000 s.f. and can grow to 40,000 with a twin building as well. The cargo ramp can accommodate 2 747's loading and unloading and has held three C-17s. The cargo ramp can also double.

When the City of Phoenix was invited to join the Airport Authority last year it was with the goal of being very collaborative and cooperative, and cargo is one of those areas to do that in. The current cargo facilities at PHX are in the way of new future passenger terminals. They will always accommodate belly freight of course.

The dedicated cargo airlines will consider/are considering Gateway. 12L/30R is currently 9,300 ft, but in the Master Plan it is planned to increase to 12,500 ft. This will enable larger freighters to fly longer and heavier during the summer than they currently can out of PHX. Throw in two other 10,000+ ft. runways and our capacity is much greater for handling a mix of larger frieghters for international shipments. Also, with the popluation growth out here, the cutoff times for the area around Gateway are getting worse for FedEx to meet and basing an aircraft our here is only a matter of time, not if.

Even if they wanted all cargo to leave, PHX just can't tell all the cargo airlines to go, but I am sure once we finish getting some additional infrastructure put in place here, expect to see some of the dedicated stuff move to IWA/AZA along with the attraction of new carriers to the market. The real trick for IWA/AZA is not PHX, though, it's that regional airport in California called LAX. Most of Phoenix's air freight goes there. We just need to reverse the flow and keep it in house, so to speak! Easy, huh? Please pray for me and use two rosaries...

BTW, name change goes into affect Oct. 15. FAA/navigation will remain IWA, ticket sales and IATA remain AZA. First Allegiant flight Oct. 25 at 8:15am to CID.

N77014

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:23 am

Any chance this will become the charter/ off label airline airport the way SFB has turned out?
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

PHXmd80

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:29 am

Wow! 5 posts and nobody's complained that they won't be keeping the historical "Williams" name. THANK GOD!!!

I think its a great name change, but i doubt we'll see Skybus come anytime soon. SX has yet to seriously challenge someone else's route. US and WN already serve CMH with a total of 6 flights to and from PHX everyday. Will SK win CMH passengers? Maybe, thats up to WN, but they certainly won't get any local traffic from PHX. People here are loyal to WN and US (many people still say "Im flying America West." Drives me frickin' nuts!!!!  banghead 

flyorski

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:30 am

I could definitely picture Skybus moving in here. If they did, it could create major problems for US. I wonder what cities they might serve. Does anyone know what cities Allegiant has said they intend to fly to?
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

FlyAZA

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting PHXmd80 (Reply 7):
Wow! 5 posts and nobody's complained that they won't be keeping the historical "Williams" name. THANK GOD!!!

Silly Lt. Williams was not even an Army pilot. He fought in WWI as infantry, learned to fly in 1923 and died in 1927 in Hawaii performing an "aerial manuver". No one knows what that means. Either way, it was time to go on and his name will live on somewhere on the airport, probably the terminal.

Quoting N77014 (Reply 6):
Any chance this will become the charter/ off label airline airport the way SFB has turned out?

The airport saw over 3000 people go through for the National Championship game this year. The Buckeye fans were amazing to see, both before and after. We're looking at hosting around 200-300 aircraft over the Super Bowl, many the big charters as we are the only other airport besides PHX that can take a lot of them. AZA is out of the TFR that the Super Bowl brings with it so we'll get a ton of traffic that week. FBR Open week as well so Scottsdale closes down anyway.

Quoting PHXmd80 (Reply 7):
People here are loyal to WN and US

and that is really the biggest challenge for Gateway. Not one, but 2 major discounters, one with their third largest hub and the other with their second. And they fly everywhere. Hard for others to pick their spots, but it's getting there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos