Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

Ryanair Route Network Thread

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Let’s use this thread for Ryanair route announcements, cancellations, etc.

So, let’s begin:

New routes:

Daily PIK-ORK-PIX using PIK-based 73H

5x weekly (not operated Wed or Sat) EMA-ORK-EMA using EMA-based 73H

Link to official statement for the above two new routes: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=07&month=sep&story=rte-en-190907

3x weekly (Tue, Thur, Sat) TSF-MLA-TSF. V-V flight.

Link for the above route: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....07&month=sep&story=rte-en-190907-2

[Edited 2007-09-19 16:16:22]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Boeing744

RE: Ryanair Route Network Thread

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:24 pm

Does anyone know how Ryanair is doing on their STN to Maribor, Slovenia route? I think this one was fairly new, and I was wondering if Ryanair was doing OK with it.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 1):
Does anyone know how Ryanair is doing on their STN to Maribor, Slovenia route?

FR5742/3 operates 3x weekly (Tu, Th, and Sa). In July just gone it carried 4,020 pax on the route. The total capacity was 4,914. So it had an average load of about 82%. Of course, that was high summer, although the route is surely more VFR-orientated. I don't know about yields, although some fares to/from Maribor can be expensive. It's impossible to say whether it's performing badly, OK, well, or excellently unless you have more data. But I'd say it's performing well.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

rineanna

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:50 pm

Malta to Venice also announced today; 8th route from MLA.

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
Daily PIK-ORK-PIX using PIK-based 73H

5x weekly (not operated Wed or Sat) EMA-ORK-EMA using EMA-based 73H

Good for ORK.

That makes it 6 routes from Ireland to EMA both North and South with the recently announced BHD service.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 3):
Malta to Venice also announced today; 8th route from MLA.

I mentioned that in my opening post! MLA-TSF-MLA.

Joost

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
3x weekly (Tue, Thur, Sat) TSF-MLA-TSF. V-V flight.

The flight will be operated by a HHN-based aircraft as HHN-TSF-MLA-TSF-HHN.

kl911

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 am

[email protected],

Why do you use the 73H instead of 738? Aren't all off FR's boeings the 738 now?

Cheers!

KL911

Joost

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting KL911 (Reply 6):

Why do you use the 73H instead of 738? Aren't all off FR's boeings the 738 now?

I think all 738s are 73Hs now. 73H = 737-800 + Winglets

kl911

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:19 am

Thanks Joost,

Didn't know that. I thought all 737's had their type as last digit, as in 735, 738, 739.
The 737 I know is 73G for obvious reasons. What would an 73G or 739 with winglets be then?

Cheers,

KL911

rineanna

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:20 am

Incidentally, how many 73Hs are based at PIK as of now?

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 4):
I mentioned that in my opening post!

Oops, my bad. Sorry!

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 7):
I think all 738s are 73Hs now. 73H = 737-800 + Winglets

Yep they are all now with winglets.

By the way, EMA-ORK-EMA will start as 4x weekly, then rise to 5x weekly, then about Feb increase to daily.

[Edited 2007-09-19 19:52:53]

kl911

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:12 am

What is the status of NRN at the moment? Are all the lawsuites history?

I know FR has an official base there which has enormous potential. Already 40% of the passengers are Dutch, and I can see this rise due to the anounced fake ECO-tax in the Netherlands which could affect EIN. For example: from where I live it doesn't really matter timewise if I go to Niederrhein, Eindhoven or Charleroi.

Plus, NRN has perfect access to Germany's Ruhrgebied's ( A LOT of people ) highway system, fast check-in and very cheap parking. The same is already proven with the new base at BRE. Pax from the 3 most northern provinces in The Netherlands prefer BRE over EIN or AMS. Less traffic jams, direct highway access and cheaper parking. ( And fuel costs since the new government here will raise the tax on fuel.. )

What's your thought about NRN becoming a 'mega' base for FR? It has all the potential with a 30 million people around it.

KL911

flyingfool

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:27 am

On the other hand, what are the chances for MST to become a base ?

Regards, Flyingfool

extspotter

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:41 am

Because of the new eco-taxes, low, to say the least.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

DouglasDC10

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Does anybody know if some routes are given up to free the aircraft for the new routes?

I am also asking myself why both, AerLingus and Ryanair, are suspending its Dublin services to Hamburg (or Hamburg/Lübeck in the latter case) for the winter season.

Joost

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 8):
What would an 73G or 739 with winglets be then?

A wingletted 737-700 is a 73W. For the 737-900 ER+Winglets, I don't know yet.

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 9):
Incidentally, how many 73Hs are based at PIK as of now?

Five.

Quoting KL911 (Reply 11):
What is the status of NRN at the moment? Are all the lawsuites history?

My latest information is that the high court (hoge raad) has decided, so that was the final lawsuit.

Quoting KL911 (Reply 11):
What's your thought about NRN becoming a 'mega' base for FR? It has all the potential with a 30 million people around it.

Especially considering the eco-tax and further limitations at EIN and the limitations at DUS, I'd say that the base has at least the same potential as HHN, so 12 aircraft or so in 5 years would do.

The current terminal is, when there are 4 aircraft operating from November, reaching it's limits. There are 5 gates, so they could add one more aircraft, but then the terminal will be operating to it's limits.

So the terminal should expand, and this might well delay the whole plan. There must be financing and they will want to have a long-term deal with Ryanair, like CRL and HHN have as well. The airport ownership is interesting as well. Currently, the airport is privately owned by Herman Buurman & co. The airport operator has borrowed money from the local government. Currently, the local government (as they consider the airport to be important for their economy) wants to exchange the money they owe, for shares, but so far the owners refuse.

It will be interesting to see whether it's economically viable for a full-private operator to earn money with a Ryanair deal. I guess they're already talking with NACO for the ultra low cost terminal design that will be used at HHN. (construction costs EUR 750 per m2; this is half the costs of the (already low-cost) terminal in EIN (EUR 1500 per m2); (AMS and FRA are constructed at around EUR 3000-3500/m2). I won't be surprised if they'd decide to raise parking fees as they are ridiculously cheap now (though convenient for me  Wink; maximum price to pay for long-term park (2 minutes walk to terminal) is EUR 30; luxury parking (20 seconds walk to terminal) max price EUR 50).

al2637

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Ryanair in talks about opening SNN-AMS

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0920/ryanair.html

Would more routes follow now that AMS has the new 'low cost' pier?

kl911

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:40 pm

SNN-AMS??? FR's famous 25 minutes turnaround will burn those 25 minutes already by taxiing from the Polderbaan 36R to the terminal... can't see it happen.

al2637

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:45 pm

25min turns are only counted from when the aircraft arrives on stand. The taxi would be built into the block time for the flight. Or maybe they'll get agreement that they don't have to use the Polderbaan  Smile

Joost

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Al2637 (Reply 16):
SNN-AMS??? FR's famous 25 minutes turnaround will burn those 25 minutes already by taxiing from the Polderbaan 36R to the terminal... can't see it happen.

Taxi times at MAD are no better than AMS and still they have a base there.

If they can get a good deal from AMS, why not? Don't forget EIN and MST are also (partly) owned by Schiphol so they know who to talk to. I would like to see FR on AMS-GRO.

SNN-AMS has been operated by EUjet in the time they were still around.

Quoting Al2637 (Reply 16):
Would more routes follow now that AMS has the new 'low cost' pier?

The problem is that the H-pier is already almost fully used by current operators. Although with the withdrawl of NE from BUD, KRK and BTS some space might become available.

If the eco-tax goes through, I think AMS is getting more sense to operate from (strange enough). EIN will be easily outcompeted by NRN as they are very close, but from Utrecht, Flevoland, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland, AMS is very favourable - even if it's EUR 25 more expensive.

kl911

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 19):
SNN-AMS has been operated by EUjet in the time they were still around.

Was this the SVO-AMS-SNN flight, or was that another operator?

Joost

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting KL911 (Reply 20):

Was this the SVO-AMS-SNN flight, or was that another operator?

No, that was another. skyservice.ru or something? EUjet was the F100 operator that also flew from Kent-Manston to Amsterdam.

rineanna

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 21):
skyservice.ru or something?

SkyNet! Pity they're not still around.

teahan

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 pm

An interesting Ryanair news day.

- In addition to the SNN-AMS talk, SNN-Paris BVA will apparently go up to 2x daily next summer. That's the same number of frequencies as DUB-BVA this summer.
- Ryanair apparently in talks with five former Soviet republics or North African states (outside Morocco) about new routes.

An older announcement which I don't believe was discussed on this website.

- 3x weekly LTN-KIR (Kerry) starting in November. This is in addition to the 2x daily summer / 1x daily winter STN flights.
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=07&month=sep&story=pro-en-060907

Has there been any information as to what exactly FR has requested from MXP? I note yesterday’s news about easyJet promising up to eight new based aircraft for Milan.
http://news.flightmapping.com/07/09/...se-of-flights-from-milan_1474.html

Quoting Joost (Reply 15):
guess they're already talking with NACO for the ultra low cost terminal design that will be used at HHN. (construction costs EUR 750 per m2; this is half the costs of the (already low-cost) terminal in EIN (EUR 1500 per m2); (AMS and

Is that NACO design definitely going ahead? Local sources claim it is only one of several proposals and no firm decision has been made.
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

[email protected]
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting Teahan (Reply 23):
Has there been any information as to what exactly FR has requested from MXP?

Not that I've heared about. If FR get approval it has stated it'd base 5 73Hs at MXP next year, rising to about 12...

Joost

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:12 am

- Ryanair apparently in talks with five former Soviet republics or North African states (outside Morocco) about new routes.

What countries would these be? Would they also include the Baltics? Besides the Baltics, I could only think of Ukraine as a possible destination. Maybe Tunesia in North Africa?

Is that NACO design definitely going ahead? Local sources claim it is only one of several proposals and no firm decision has been made.

I'm not sure if it's the ultimate choice. Do you have information on other designs? I'd think they must be quite in a hurry already.

teahan

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 25):
What countries would these be? Would they also include the Baltics? Besides the Baltics, I could only think of Ukraine as a possible destination. Maybe Tunesia in North Africa?

Estonia is one that sure comes to mind. As for Africa, Tunisia certainly and Algeria would make relative sense .

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's the ultimate choice. Do you have information on other designs? I'd think they must be quite in a hurry already.

Nothing which is why I'm quite curious. Groundwork for the new terminal hasn't begun and a new hotel opened next to the old terminal just a few months ago. As far as I understand, a NASCO employee used the HHN proposal in a number of academic/industrial presentations. This was later mistakenly picked up by a number of parties including Jacobs Consultancy (which produced a report for the Irish aviation regulator on low cost facilities) as the chosen HHN design.

Joost

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:31 pm

Quoting Teahan (Reply 26):
Estonia is one that sure comes to mind. As for Africa, Tunisia certainly and Algeria would make relative sense .

AFAIK, TLL is building a new terminal, so they might well want to attract new airlines. I think Algeria won't be a primary choice, except from VFR traffic from France. But it isn't to much a tourism country, like Morocco and Tunesia. And it doesn't have any open skies yet.

Quoting Teahan (Reply 26):
As far as I understand, a NASCO employee used the HHN proposal in a number of academic/industrial presentations

This is right, I've also seen this presentation at the Airneth conference. This is the powerpoint file of the presentation, by the way: http://www.airneth.nl/document.php?page=271&parentType=1&parentId=19 (It's NACO by the way)

I note yesterday’s news about easyJet promising up to eight new based aircraft for Milan.

Not really a surprise. easyJet is already flying many AZ-routes and they are the most likely airline to take profit from the AZ withdrawl.

I wonder if a shrinked AZ will be able to compete with the LCCs when they start to lose economies of scale at the airport.

teahan

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:13 pm

Oooops re NACO/NASCO  Smile. That presentation is mighty impressive which adds to my curiousity about what will come of HHN development.

I accept your point re Algeria. Are there open skies negotiations with Tunisia? A poster on PPRUNE mentions Turkey.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting Teahan (Reply 28):
I accept your point re Algeria. Are there open skies negotiations with Tunisia? A poster on PPRUNE mentions Turkey.

U2, Germanwings, etc, fly to Turkey, and it's inevitable that FR will fly there at some stage.

There is, of course, heavy demand from Algeria to France and vice-versa. And most of the fares seem very expensive. However, I don't think Algeria will materalise in a discount airline's network for many years. Tunisia is obvious, but they don't have open skies unlike Morocco, although it's bound to come at some stage.

There has been talk over the past few months about FR and Russia, and I think that'll materalise in the next 5+ years.

There has also been talk about FR and Israel.

Then there's Ukraine, Macedonia, Albania, etc - all of which will no doubt one day be served by FR, but probably not for several more years.

There's huge amount of opportunities left for FR, both in the countries it presently serves and in ones it doesn't, which is one reason why it will by 2012 be double the size it presently is in terms of fleet and pax numbers.

Incidentally, the catchment area of NRN within 2 hours by car is 35.5m. Is this the largest such area in Europe?!

Joost

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Teahan (Reply 28):
Are there open skies negotiations with Tunisia?

AFAIK, there currently are EU-approved open skies-negotiations between France and Tunesia.

Maybe I should explain it a bit more: the EU does not reject individual air agreements between individual member stated and non-EU countries. They do, however, reject limitations on the nationality of designated airlines to fly the route. Many of the current bilaterals are in conflict with EU legislation by this, and the general policy of the EU is to not sue every country for current agreements, but require all future agreements to comply with European law.

Now France is negotiating an open-skies agreement with Tunesia. This agreement then will state that any EU airline and any Tunesian airline may operate flights between France and Tunesia. So then, Ryanair will be allowed to fly MRS-TUN, but not to fly BGY-TUN.

For the case Morocco-EU, these are actually about 30 air agreements between all individual EU member states (+Norway, Iceland, Switzerland) and Morocco that are all mention an open skies agreement. Here, the EC negotiated with Morocco, representing all different authorities.

Here is also the reason why FR was already allowed to serve Morocco from the UK, but not from France and Germany, at some point: the French and Germans were not as fast as the British in the formal processing of the new agreements. Currently, everything seems to be fine.

The EU pursuits these agreements with as much countries as possible, but it's a long way, as their aims are 2-sides:
1. Let the 3rd country acknowledge the EU as one (aviation) country
2. Allow open skies

AFAIK, Russia and Ukraine already agreed on point 1 with the EU, point 2 to be discussed later.

Negotiations are currently also being held with Canada; after EU-US negotiations succeeded, the Canadian government entered negotiations for a similar ASA as well.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 29):
Incidentally, the catchment area of NRN within 2 hours by car is 35.5m. Is this the largest such area in Europe?!

Either NRN or EIN have the largest catchment area in Europe, as they both serve the German Northern Ruhr area, the Dutch Randstad area (and Brabant, Gelderland) and several populated parts of Belgium.

Aleksandar

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:49 am

Any news about destinations from BUD?
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

DAYflyer

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:09 am

Does Ryanair publish a system wide route map anywhere?
One Nation Under God

[email protected]
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 32):

On Ryanair.com

PlymSpotter

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 33):

On Ryanair.com

Click on STN on their interactive route map and it's like watching a firework explode! silly 
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

[email protected]
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 34):
Click on STN on their interactive route map and it's like watching a firework explode

Just a bit! LOL

Humberside

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:09 pm

New ski route from Gothenburg Save to Salzburg. Anyone know what base will operate it?

http://www.flycheapo.com/news/2007/0...y-between-salzburg-and-gothenburg/
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

[email protected]
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 36):
New ski route from Gothenburg Save to Salzburg. Anyone know what base will operate it?

It'll be operated by a STN-based 73H. And it'll mean that GSE will have 10 FR routes and SZG 7.

RJ100

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:56 pm

Strong rumours indicate that Ryanair opens a first German domestic route as per March 30 2008, linking twice daily Frankfurt-Hahn with Berlin-Schönefeld.
none

B747forever

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 38):
Strong rumours indicate that Ryanair opens a first German domestic route as per March 30 2008, linking twice daily Frankfurt-Hahn with Berlin-Sch�eld.

That wouldn't surprise me.
Work Hard, Fly Right

nighthawk

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm

any news on a new base? I believe there are 2 aircraft still to placed, which will be going to a new base. EDI is heavily rumoured, but most rumours suggesting it will be announced have proved false. Is it just an empty threat to get a better deal from PIK?

StarGoldLHR

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 40):
any news on a new base? I believe there are 2 aircraft still to placed, which will be going to a new base. EDI is heavily rumoured, but most rumours suggesting it will be announced have proved false. Is it just an empty threat to get a better deal from PIK

i thought there was supposed to be a Polish base ?

Talking of... whats the deal with the two AM departures from STN-KRK, will the evening route return next year ?
Given easyjet's upping the competition on this route, could we see Ryanair backing down on a route to Easyjet ?
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

bAe146TOM

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:01 am

Word in the crew room is that BOH is a definate...
Tom

ryanairCRL

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting BAe146TOM (Reply 42):
BOH is a definate

That's what I hear as well but that terminal is a wooden hut. I hope they got some kind of project for new facilities if it ever becomes a FR base.
http://flyingtom.myphotoalbum.com

Joost

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 41):
Talking of... whats the deal with the two AM departures from STN-KRK, will the evening route return next year ?
Given easyjet's upping the competition on this route, could we see Ryanair backing down on a route to Easyjet ?

Did they have 3 flights before?

I think it's just a rescheduling in what fits the STN base best. And I actually guess that STN-KRK is not too much a time-sensitive market; they just need the volume of two flights and timings won't bother as much as on STN-DUB for example.

757lgw

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:09 am

apparently the new bases will be EDI RIX and BOH in that order although i cant remeber if that was the order of them being opened or being announced!! so we will wait and see but from what i have heard EDI is most definatley confirmed just awaiting it being annoucenced and RIX was a little shock for me i thought poland would be ahead of RIX !

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:15 pm

FR has its 1p per one-way and no taxes or charges again. Alas, it’s very limited, but perhaps of use to some A.nutters.

I flew FR STN-SVQ on Monday and SVQ-STN on Tuesday. Enjoyable flights.

There were extreme thunderstorms - lightening everywhere and considerable rain - in SVQ on Tuesday night, so our flight was delayed for about 1 1/4 hours. SVQ-STN then took just 2 hours and 17 minutes.

BMED

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting RyanairCRL (Reply 43):
That's what I hear as well but that terminal is a wooden hut. I hope they got some kind of project for new facilities if it ever becomes a FR base.

If you look on the Bournemouth website there is a link to view its master plan which shows the future of the airport and how it is going to expand.

Great news for Bournemouth, I hope to see some good routes come out of this, hopefully EDI-BOH!!
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

[email protected]
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Slightly old news, but FR is now very close to carrying 47m people: it carried 46.92m from 30th Sept 06 to 30th Sept 07. Its average load factor decreased from 86% in Sept 06 to 85% in Sept 07. Its year to 30th Sept 07 saw an average load factor of 82%. FR is due to carry its 50 millionth passenger by the year-end.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:03 pm

EMA-BHD-EMA will increase to 13x weekly (1x on Sat) next summer. Already loaded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos