Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United787

RE: USAirways Air Carrier Certificate Merge

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Gift4tbone (Reply 48):
As of tomorrow, US (no more HP) will be using DECS[sabre] across the board."

Does that mean that all of the flights will now be US flight numbers not US Flights DBA or Operated By America West flight numbers? When do they change all of that?

n710ps

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:22 am

Affirmative. And to add DECS Sabre will remain as of tomorrow for the entire system. Only a few more steps to go . Might I add that the east side of the certificate was the most profitable airline in the USA this last quarter.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

ei a330-200

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:32 am

Regarding the call sign issue, if you want my opinion, the company should form a new call sign, one that reflects neither USAirways or AmericaWest. This would allow the pilots to move forward without griping about one group loosing their call sign or the other.

Brian

gift4tbone

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 50):
When do they change all of that?

The first flights to take off the morning of tues 9/25, will ALL be US flight numbers, HI flights will be US60, US62, etc...now more AWE. Well I will sure miss america west....but it is a new dawn for the airline.

[email protected]
Top 3 airports: PVD 22.1%(142 flights), PHL 13.6%(87 flights), PHX 9.3%(60 flights)

jlbmedia

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting EI A330-200 (Reply 52):
Regarding the call sign issue, if you want my opinion, the company should form a new call sign, one that reflects neither USAirways or AmericaWest. This would allow the pilots to move forward without griping about one group loosing their call sign or the other.

Brian

checkmark 

I think with all the animosity between sides, you probably have the right idea. I just don't see it happening.
JLB54061

Maverick623

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 51):
Might I add that the east side of the certificate was the most profitable airline in the USA this last quarter.

That's because America West is paying all of the overhead costs, the Officer's big paychecks, all that stuff, and the East side pays none of it.

Not that it matters. The airline as a whole was extremely profitable with one of the highest ratios of RASM:CASM. Means something's going right... or maybe it's because they don't pay us enough.

I've almost had it with this East v. West stuff. We're going to be one airline soon, let's start acting like it.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

LASoctoberB6

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:09 pm

i wonder if i said this before somewhere... i wish America West let US die.. im very sorry to say it, but thats how i feel. not to disrespect any US op people here, just my honest opinion...
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

n710ps

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:37 pm

US is one with West now in body but the cultures are totally diffrent. Untill the old die hard easties are all gone which will not be for a long time that is the sentiment that will remain unfortuneately. In reply to the remarks just above. West would have died shortly thereafter so that is a pretty unwise statemnt to make espesially if you are a US employeee in any capacity. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not the reason Doug saved the company was because he had the insight to merge with East. He saw the profitability in the east and he went for it and I agree the overhead for east is gone because of west but that is because of previous management blunders that it existed in the first place. US costs were extremely high and west covering it has shown that. That is not to be denyed but the point of it all is that most of the moeny is made in east flying. Whether it is US mainline, shuttle, PSA, Piedmont flying or other regional contracts the bread and butter of the profit for the time being is untill something is done to close the gap in the midwest going to remain in the east and LAS operations.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

AlexPorter

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:31 am

Flightaware is still listing separate AWE and USA flights... did the switch happen or not?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

itsnotfinals

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 58):
Flightaware is still listing separate AWE and USA flights... did the switch happen or not?

the entire process is supposed to be complete on the 27th. I was speaking to one of my buddies that is an FO for US and he says he thought flights would show up as all US tomorrow (26 Sept)
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

phxplanes

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 59):
the entire process is supposed to be complete on the 27th. I was speaking to one of my buddies that is an FO for US and he says he thought flights would show up as all US tomorrow (26 Sept)

Yes they merge the night of the 25th so in the next few hours.

USA9195

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 55):
We're going to be one airline soon

In just a few hours acutally...0001PST tonite/tomorrow morning..Good by America West

AlexPorter

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting USA9195 (Reply 61):
In just a few hours acutally...0001PST tonite/tomorrow morning..Good by America West

Cool... I'm hanging out on flightaware checking out all the little AW mountain/sun logos on routes like PHX-LAS one last time. Sure, that logo will still exist but this is the last time we can go on flightaware and see a bunch of little HP icons all lined up!

PHLapproach

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:32 am

In theory our dispatchers might not start filing one ICAO code until the callsign is one. For obvious reasons

SPREE34

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 55):
I've almost had it with this East v. West stuff. We're going to be one airline soon, let's start acting like it.

Perhaps a "Grass Roots" movement from employees like yourself could be organized. Peer organizing and influence can work wonders. Eventually the East Pilots will get tired of being outsiders, as well as anyone else from West or East who hasn't gotten the flick.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

itsnotfinals

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting PHLapproach (Reply 63):
In theory our dispatchers might not start filing one ICAO code until the callsign is one. For obvious reasons

After they surrender the HP operating cetificate, that will be hard to do. the 27th is supposed to be the final transition date
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

AlexPorter

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:48 am

I have noticed that today there are still a bunch of AWE flights - the only USA flights are all #700+ as usual.

Clipper136

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 56):
i wish America West let US die

More accurately......you wish America West would have let US and HP die.........

and both would have had they not been able prop each other up, as both airlines were nearing the end.

People forget that both airlines were in trouble. They were savior to each other. The deal was structured by HP management, but brokered and financed by US Management.

Some of you US Eastees and Westees really need to let it go....you cannot change the past no matter how much you
#$%ch about it. Put your good foot forward and move on.
You can't beat the Experience.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos