Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Can258
Topic Author

What Will Happen To Augsburg Dash8's?

Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:14 pm

What will happen to Augsburg Dash8's after the incident in MUC ? Will they be grounded like SAS and will they be looked for corrosion just like in SAS planes? What are your opinions?

Can258

johnnybgoode

RE: What Will Happen To Augsburg Dash8's?

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:29 pm

they were grounded entirely (the Dash 8-400s, not the -300s) along with so many others worldwide (depending on the number of cycles on the landing gear). i think they have yet to put the last one back into service, again.
i hope this incident was just bad luck and is not related to the other accidents in any sort of way.
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

flyPBA

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Can258 (Thread starter):
What will happen to Augsburg Dash8's after the incident in MUC ? Will they be grounded like SAS and will they be looked for corrosion just like in SAS planes? What are your opinions?

why?

a nose gear that fails to deploy has very little to do with main gear that collapse upon landing. They might want to chat with ANA who has had nose-gear which fail to deploy ...

Maybe these airlines should try talking to Horizon Air who hasn't had any of these problems with their 33 Q400s

sandrozrh

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting FlyPBA (Reply 2):
Maybe these airlines should try talking to Horizon Air who hasn't had any of these problems with their 33 Q400s

Yes, because, as far as i understand, their fleet has a low number of cycles overall.

mika

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting FlyPBA (Reply 2):
a nose gear that fails to deploy has very little to do with main gear that collapse upon landing. They might want to chat with ANA who has had nose-gear which fail to deploy ...

I hear many people say this, but in my book it has everything to do with the two MLG failures that SAS had. Granted that i am a layman and this is only my own speculation but it does seem like the landing gear assembly overall on the Dash 8 Q400 is sub par. I mean how can all these incidents (not to mention the previous ones for example SAS had with problematic nose gear steering etc) not be related to eachother? They all involved the landing gear assembly more or less directly (directly in the case of the two SAS ships).

To me it looks like a design flaw and/or use of parts that need replacement/maintenance more often than specified.

RIXrat

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:51 am

Somebody said on another thread that the bolts on the wing landing gear were "good for the life" of the plane and therefore no one paid close inspection. It could be the same for the nose gear. I think that Bombardier has its own problems to solve, and in a hurry. It is rapidly creeping out that it was a design/scrutural failure. However, I don't know about the nose gear, but it could have similar corrosive bolts.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos