Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

md90fan
Topic Author

NW Applies For DTW-Monterrey,Mexico

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:38 pm

I know Mexico applications appear so much, that they are hardly newsworthy, but here you go anyways:

Daily DTW-MTY service starting 01JUN08.

Let's hope they follow up on this route, as to my knowledge it is the first foray of NW's E-jets south of the border. Flying 70-100 seat aircraft south of the US opens up a Pandora's box of mid-size markets not ripe for mainline service from NW's hubs, several markets come to mind notably, DTW/MEM- Cabo San Lucas, Liberia, Punta Cana & St.Maarten.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John padgett

http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

centrair

RE: NW Applies For DTW-Monterrey,Mexico

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Good Luck NW. I guess they have to start someplace and why not test the waters with an regional and if successful then they can go mainline.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

burnsie28

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm

They started Monterrey a long time ago (about 3-4 years ago now) from MEM with a CRJ-200, the service however didn't last long though.

Quoting MD90fan (Thread starter):
Liberia

Punta Cana

Cabo San Lucas

All of those are flown with an A320. At times have also be 2x on Saturdays. Liberia used to be a 757 as well.

N405MX

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Interesting news, they will take several passengers from AA, that connect via DFW or MX pax connecting from ORD, let´s see if it doesn´t go as America West PHX flight.

Saludos
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

KingAir200

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:23 pm

If they go through with it, I wonder if it will last longer than the 9E MEM-MTY service.

[Edited 2007-09-25 07:25:15]

MAH4546

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 4):
If they go through with it, I wonder if it will last longer than the 9E MEM-MTY service.

Probably, but I doubt by much.

I don't give this route much of a chance at all. Monterrey has struggled to keep routes to cities like Miami, New York, Orlando, and Phoenix.
a.

ASFlyer

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:54 pm

Isn't there a substantial auto parts manufacturing industry in Monterey? I know that the U.S. auto industry is in the crapper, but maybe there's enough business to sustain an E jet.

MAH4546

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 6):
Isn't there a substantial auto parts manufacturing industry in Monterey? I know that the U.S. auto industry is in the crapper, but maybe there's enough business to sustain an E jet.

There is, but that won't necessarily sustain it. Hermosillo is the "Detroit of Mexico". DTW-HMO, IMO, can be sustained 3-4x a week. Both AeroMexico and Mexicana have dormant route authorities for it.

[Edited 2007-09-25 08:00:27]
a.

DAL767400ER

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
Monterrey has struggled to keep routes to cities like Miami, New York, Orlando, and Phoenix.

I would almost say the same for Atlanta. Seems everytime I look at the schedules, MTY has one less CRJ flight.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:27 pm

I would give it a chance....almost every large US manufacturing company has some type of presence in Monterrey & Saltillo. Every time I've flown DTW-IAH-MTY on CO, it seems that more than half of the people on the IAH-MTY leg are connecting to/from DTW.

The amount of American investment in that region is mind boggling.

I suggested awhile ago that this route would definetely be possible once the E-Jets arrive, DTW-MTY is much more logical than MEM-MTY. I don't believe that NW ever tried MEM-MTY, I believe you are confusing that with MEM-MFE which lasted all of a few months.

juventus

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
I don't give this route much of a chance at all. Monterrey has struggled to keep routes to cities like Miami, New York, Orlando, and Phoenix.

I wonder why??? Yesterday 1.Noticias (Mexican news channel), said MTY the third best city in Latin America to do business. Plus they've invested a lot of money into the tourist sector.

Maybe with the help of connecting passengers from Canada, the flight might just work.

bobnwa

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 9):
I don't believe that NW ever tried MEM-MTY, I believe you are confusing that with MEM-MFE which lasted all of a few months.

You almost always have the correct NWA info, and I read your comments regularly. However, NWA did have MEM-MTY service for a short time a few years back. It was flown by Pinnacle.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 11):
However, NWA did have MEM-MTY service for a short time a few years back. It was flown by Pinnacle.

http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/newsc/2000/pr121420000522.html

Thanks for the correct Try more like 6 years ago (back before my involvement with NWA). Obviously short-lived an cut immediately after 9/11. That was back when Pinnacle was Express I.

MEM- Small Mexico routes don't make sense. Even small Texas cities don't work. As I pointed out the flop of MEM-MFE, then NW decided they'd try MSP-ELP and attempt to set the world-pain record for the longest CRJ flight. If the flights are timed right, DTW-MTY could likely work with the E-jet. NW has the automotive contracts out of DTW wrapped up, which would obviously support this route. I can't imagine there being much weekend demand (Sat/Sun) though.

burnsie28

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 12):
then NW decided they'd try MSP-ELP and attempt to set the world-pain record for the longest CRJ flight.

They actually did that with the 3rd MSP-TUS flight they operated a while back.

N77014

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 6):

Very much so. CO's IAH-SLW service serves the same market as well. These operations also export to the european and asian manufacturers as well.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

MAH4546

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 9):
I don't believe that NW ever tried MEM-MTY, I believe you are confusing that with MEM-MFE which lasted all of a few months.

They flew MEM-MTY in 2002 for less than two months.
a.

crj200faguy

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:26 am

MSP-TUS was a treat. 50 pax 6 wheelchairs everytime. Thank goodness we had pretzels back then.

SNCNtry32

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting CRJ200FAGuy (Reply 16):
MSP-TUS

Smile Still is a treat.

Good to hear the E-Jets will be well used.
Long Live Memphis!

EddieDude

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 2):
They started Monterrey a long time ago (about 3-4 years ago now) from MEM with a CRJ-200, the service however didn't last long though.

Had no idea about that Burnsie... well, it definitely was a bad choice for a new route.

Quoting DTW.SCE" class=quote target=_blank>PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 9):
I would give it a chance....almost every large US manufacturing company has some type of presence in Monterrey & Saltillo.

I would not go as far as Mark to say that Hermosillo is Mexico's Detroit, because Ford is really the only major auto company with large operations in Hermosillo... while there may be several autoparts businesses in the HMO-vicinity, they all revolve around Ford's plant, but other manufacturers are absent from the area. Strictly speaking, Mexico does not have something like Michigan... Toyota assembles in Baja, Honda in Jalisco, Nissan/Renault in Morelos and Aguascalientes, VW in Puebla, Ford in a Mexico City suburb, Hermosillo and perhaps Chihuahua (just engines, but not entirely sure), Chrysler in Toluca and elsewhere, GM has different plants all over the country, etc. Truck-assembly operations are also fairly scattered around the country if I am not mistaken.

On the other hand, I agree with PSU.DTW.SCE. The MTY catchment area has a lot of factories that produce components for the automotive industry. We recently worked on the divestiture by a client of its cylinder-liners and piston rings operations, and one of the two major plants that were sold is located in Ramos Arizpe (near Saltillo), which is in the MTY catchment area. Several years ago, I also worked on the buy-out of a large cast aluminum engine blocks manufacturer worldwide, and the Mexican assets were located outside Monclova, which is also in the MTY catchment area... those are only 2 examples of how the area is full of automotive and autoparts operations, which might produce interesting traffic. Besides, Nuevo León has a lot of other large corporations, including steel foundries, food companies, financial services companies, breweries, bottlers, etcetera that can generate important traffic to the midwest.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

zetineitor737

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:51 am

May be this new route could be because of the new request of aeromexico to fly from MEX - MEM staring at the end of this year, remember that both are skyteam members, and they could connect with some Aeromexico´s flights.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:33 am

Around Monterrey I personally know that GM, Delphi, Caterpillar, John Deere, UTC Carrier, Parker-Hanifin, ABB, BASF, Alcoa, Yazaki, and GE all have a substancial manufacturing presence in the region. Many of these companies have ties to the Midwest.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos