kaitak
Topic Author

RE: The Answer Is 42; The Question: Irish Aviation

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 198):
US pre-clearance is going to remain in the B pier with the exception of a possible short period while they extend the B Pier.

Seems like a solution that's asking for trouble; even with the current level of traffic - as we discussed not long ago on these threads - there is congestion and some airlines don't use it for all flights. I thought that part of the design of T2 was to have a much larger area for US pre-clearance?

Interesting development today on the whole FR shareholding in EI issue ... EI is to petition the EU to have FR forced to cut its stake ...

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/..._RTRIDST_0_AERLINGUS-RYNAIR-EU.XML

Toulouse

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 200):
I thought that part of the design of T2 was to have a much larger area for US pre-clearance?

I was under the same impression, and the presentation of T2 on the DAA website does state that T2 will have a large US pre-clearance area.
Has there been a change in plan and they just haven't updated the website or do you have a more reliable source Smokeyrosco?

Interesting development today on the whole FR shareholding in EI issue ... EI is to petition the EU to have FR forced to cut its stake ...

Very interesting. What are the chances of EI winning this? Is perhaps the talk about FR and its new possible l/h plan + more routes from DUB a sign that they're realising they're losing their battle to take over EI??
Long live Aer Lingus!

tonymctigue

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 190):
Aer Lingus revealed today that it had imposed an immediate pay freeze on all staff.

Even though employees were promised increases totalling 7.5%, the airline said they will not be paid until further notice in order to cut costs.

Dermot Mannion, Aer Lingus chief executive, said the freeze would stay in place until a new deal was struck with unions.

Oh Dermot Mannion is playing with fire here. Normally I'm dead against the unions no matter what the situation is but if I were an EI employee & the management pulled a stunt like this I'd be pissed. There is a real storm brewing in EI. LEts hope that we're not in for another few months of turmoil.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 202):
Oh Dermot Mannion is playing with fire here.

Unions have already said its totally un acceptable !!!

Just saw EI ad on again .

shamrock350

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:23 am

Oh Dermot Mannion is playing with fire here. Normally I'm dead against the unions no matter what the situation is but if I were an EI employee & the management pulled a stunt like this I'd be pissed. There is a real storm brewing in EI. LEts hope that we're not in for another few months of turmoil.

He is growing very impatient, talks are obviously getting nowhere and probably consist of both sides repeating what they want.

Staff are not going to be happy!

Not surprising. It was either get taken over by FR or face extreme competition from FR and right now Aer Lingus are experiencing a bit of both. I'm sure Aer Lingus would rather compete with FR and deal with the increased competition instead of having FR using it's shareholding to damage them from the inside.

[Edited 2007-10-02 22:25:11]

al2637

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:28 am

Aren't the promised pay increases defendant on PCI? If PCI is not happening why should EI pay the increase?

f1eddie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:19 am

I know OA260 put all his cash into his production of the new EI ad, so i decided to do the same and i feel like mine is better.... Well i also did have the help of a working DVD recorder... One up for Philips.... God did it take me ages thought to figure out how to upload it. Well here is the link for it. Hope it works...

[Edited 2007-10-02 23:20:05]
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

shamrock350

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks F1eddie!

There were some really nice locations in the advert, I hope their next advert is in Cork the terminal is so unique and is Ireland's best looking airport IMO.

Is it me or are all the seats those children are sitting on reclined?

EI787

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 am

aerlingus1 on YouTube has also posted the new ad. If you watch his version, you can see the intro to the ad with the old timer thingy TV channels use, making it seem as though his copy is from the airline directly! It makes me wonder if this is actually EI themselves launching the ads on YouTube?

shamrock350

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 208):
It makes me wonder if this is actually EI themselves launching the ads on YouTube?

That's what I have been thinking, all the adverts of recent years have been uploaded. Including adverts from 2005.

Here's one of the red dot adverts I actually like mainly because I was at home watching RTE when it came on.

Bramble

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Al2637 (Reply 205):
Aren't the promised pay increases defendant on PCI? If PCI is not happening why should EI pay the increase?

The pay increases are from the agreement negotiated before the floatation last October. The employees have still to get something from that agreement. The PCI '07 program was introduced after floatation and demanded more concessions before the previous agreement had been fully implemented. however management 'productivity' bonuses agreed in October '06 have been awarded.

OA260

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 206):
I know OA260 put all his cash into his production of the new EI ad, so i decided to do the same and i feel like mine is better....

Haha its a cut throat business LOL....

Quoting EI787 (Reply 208):
making it seem as though his copy is from the airline directly!

Yes I agree it has to be EI Marketing dept or someone who works in it . Those are the only people that would have access to the whole Ad with the clock timer on it . Good thinking though and free advertising.

smokeyrosco

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:24 am

there is congestion and some airlines don't use it for all flights. I thought that part of the design of T2 was to have a much larger area for US pre-clearance?

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 201):
Has there been a change in plan and they just haven't updated the website or do you have a more reliable source Smokeyrosco?

This is all actually a little frustrating, but I actually posted this in the last thread, Collier was interviewed and he said...

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 20):
Quote:
an expansion of the existing Pier B, with a unique Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facility to handle their US flights. This will mean passengers can clear customs and immigration this side of the Atlantic and by the time they reach the US they will be treated like a domestic flight.

Normally I'm dead against the unions no matter what the situation is but if I were an EI employee & the management pulled a stunt like this I'd be pissed.

Yes and I understand that but I hope that this is not going to be general public opinion, DM was on the last word today with Matt Cooper and he made his case and he's dead right, I know this from experience and I'll give an example that still exists today.... I used to start work at 3:30am in DUB, I'd set up for a certain cargo aircraft and look after it, a lot of the cargo would be managed by EI.... in other words taking off the dollies (direct from the aircraft) and put onto trucks no screening no real work at all actually, just run the equipment from a booth... EI staff would not start before their time no matter what (which was a few hours after 3:30) not even a minute would they give even if we managed to line up and make things easy for them. I would then finish work at 12 and maybe head to a local pub for a couple after work (that was usually our last day on shift) and when I/We usually arrived in, the very same EI staff that would not start before there time where getting fairly well on. They got paid for a full shift for which they maybe worked 5 hours, plus they got paid extra for starting early and they also finished early....

The Unions expect this to be a realistic future for the airline, in my opinion, it's just not good enough.
John Hancock

EISHN

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi everyone, just back from Seattle this morning with Delta. Just a few things on Delta I want to say.
They are very good transatlantic. The food is very good, and plenty on the tray, although the main hot meal itself is a little small. Drinks service throughout, instead of having to get up to get yourself a drink. Mid flight snack of ice cream (really hits the spot on a long flight!), and a pre landing snack of pizza, which was actually very nice. You get an amenity kit, with eye shades, tooth paste/brush, and ear plugs. Headphones are quite good. Staff were very nice, and professional. They always said enjoy your drink when you asked for one, and were chatty and smily (for the most part). When you use the call bell, they come to your seat with a smile, rather than a bark, as I've seen with a few FA's on Aer Lingus. The toilets are kept in good condition throughout the flight. I found legroom to be excellent on the 752 across the Atlantic, and domestically. CAn't tell you what Y pitch is like on the 764, as I had a "comfort seat". Breakfast before arrival at SNN was very good, with fruit, a granola bar, a hot (tasty) croissant, and preserves, as well as tea nad coffee.
All in all I really likeed DElta across the Atlantic, and would choose them again over Aer Lingus. I found the comfort of the seat, and the legroom, as well as the ability to see the IFE screens to be much better than Aer Lingus.
Dmoestically, Delta aren't that bad either. The ex song 752s, which now prefrom the trans-cons out of JFK, are a little cramped feeling, and my IFE didn't really work all that well. The new BOB menu looks quite good, but I didn't taste it as my preferences had run out.
I enjoyed my 5 hour flight from ATL-SEA on an ancient 763. I had a row to myself in the centre, and the cabin wasn';t too full. The staff were really relaxed and friendly, and had time for a laugh. I found the old Y seats to be more comfortable than the comfort seats on the 764.
Anyway, I'd highly recommend Delta across the Atlantic to anyone.

Oh, and I quite like the new Aer Lingus ad. Very nicely done
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

EIDAA

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:53 pm

Sad news this evening coming from Co Kildare, with the death of Tony Ryan. My thoughts are with his family and friends today.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/1003/ryanair.html

Dr Tony Ryan dies after illness
Wednesday, 3 October 2007 17:11
Ryanair founder Dr Tony Ryan has died, aged 71, after a long illness.

A family statement said he had died at 3pm at home in Lyons Demesne, Cellbridge, Co Kildare after a long illness.

'Our beloved Tony bore his illness with determined strength of character and great courage. We are thankful to the many medical and nursing professionals for their wonderful care and kindness in hospitals in Ireland and the United States,' the statement said.

Advertisement'We are proud of Tony's many achievements, of his spirit of entrepreneurship which created enterprise and opportunity for many people in this country and abroad and, most especially, we are proud to have been his loving and loved family.'

Mr Ryan was born in Thurles, Co Tipperary in February 1936 and was the son of a train driver.

He founded Ryanair in 1985 as well as Guinness Peat Aviation (GPA), a major aircraft leasing company, in 1975.

Dr Ryan's family fortune has previously been estimated at more than of €1.2 billion and he is regarded as the most significant figure in the history of Irish air transport.

When Ryan founded Ryanair in 1985 it had just one 15- seat plane.

A year later it began flights between Dublin and London, sparking a massive shakeup of the airline sector, and it is now Europe's biggest lowcost airline and expects to carry 52 million passengers this year.

At its peak GPA was valued at $ 4 billion, though a decision to float in 1992 proved disastrous and it was sold in 2000.

Dan Loughrey, Chair of Chambers Ireland's Air Transport Users Council said today he was an extraordinary figure in Irish business.

'Through the force of his personality, chutzpah and imagination he managed to revolutionise the aviation industry in Ireland and overseas while developing distinguished managerial talent that has percolated throughout Irish business', he said.
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

Bramble

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 213):
Hi everyone, just back from Seattle this morning with Delta. Just a few things on Delta I want to say.
They are very good transatlantic..............
Drinks service throughout, instead of having to get up to get yourself a drink.
Mid flight snack of ice cream.....................
You get an amenitykit .........................
Staff were very nice, and professional. They always said enjoy your drink, nd were chatty and smily (for the most part).
When you use the call bell, they come with a smile, rather than a bark, as I've seen on Aer Lingus.
Breakfast before arrival at SNN was very good, with fruit, a granola bar, a hot (tasty) croissant, and tea and coffee
I found...........the ability to see the IFE screens to be much better than Aer Lingus.All in all I really liked Delta across the Atlantic, and would choose them again over Aer Lingus.

Some thoughts on your comparison with EI. Your opinions are great to see and should be communicated to EI management so they can see what they must compare with if they are serious about improving their longhaul service. As a crew member I can completely agree with your observations.
Drinks service: Simple thing to do,pax (and me) do not like being told that they cannot have a drink. For an airline that want to encourage pax to buy drinks this is strange. As part of the floataion agreement EI lost an crew member on all A330 flights,this cost saving idea now means that EI do not have a crew member availible during duty free service to serve drinks to other pax. Which understandably annoys pax.

Ice cream: Would be no problem for the crew to distribute a little bit after the duty free service. There is a gap in the service where crew could do this. In theory easy enough to load several boxs of ice cream in cool boxes or with dry ice. There is spare room in the EI galleys. Pax (and my sweet tooth) would really appreciate this.

Amenity kit: These things can be sourced cheaply (I assume) and could be placed on each seat when the a/c is groomed. A small extra cost per flight but the pax love this small touch. Pax satisfaction (and subsequent return business)must be more important to EI than a small cost saving. LAX flights has these up until 2003, they were a victim of WWs costcutting.

Staff/callbells: This is a problem due to a lack of recent customer service training which will be remedied soon with revamped training. (And increased direction from ppl like me,must stop drinking tea going across the pond) Not sure on the callbell thing, some Irish ppl seem to think calling on service a rude thing to do. My personal attitude is that the bell is there for a reason and the crew are there to serve while onboard. Think its an individual thing.
It sounds terribly union like but I believe that EI need to increase the crew back to previous numbers just to allow crewmembers to take their time hatting to pax, to provide more TLC rather than quickly giving the request before scooting off to the next pax.

Breakfast: I wish EI would provide a decent breakfast onboard. The current refreshment into SNN and DUB is well below standard and embarassing. We recently trialed scone packs on LHR flights,very simple,just a scone,butter and jam. Even to give this as BFS before arrival with juice would be an improvement for pax. The LAX and SFO flights get a croissants and tea/coffee into DUB.

IFE: Several ppl have said that IFE will not influence pax flying different airlines. Think this shows that even Anetters can be influenced by a pax frendly IFE. Roll on the retro fitting of EIs A332s.

To reply to Smokeyroscoe above:

Agree here that EI was once a very handy number,very lax workers. Staff were adamant about start times and finishing early. Such waste of company time must be stopped. Overtime has recently been cut back so that time and a half is the max you can earn. For a airline EI does need to generate a more flexible attitude to staffing. (My wife is a bit miffed at me cause my duty and finish time tomorrow had been changed twice so far, still not confirmed yet) I come in and work until my shift finishes, obviously as cabin crew I cannot leave early. I would not want ppl to be paid a full shift for 5 hours work.

In the Times today Mannion says some staff get 4 times the hourly rate for overtime,as an employee I would want this to be stopped, hired a couple more staff in theory would prevent this happening. I would love to see who these staff are. The most I ever gor when i worked on the ground was time and a half for overtime.

He also mentions that in some areas there are more surevisors than there are staff,this is a legacy of the WW redundancy plan. Among ground staff and head office mostly the most junior staff took their money and ran, the staff in more than 5 years (often a higher grade) stayed on as the redundancy worth as most in the long run for them. At the time the company should have put a cap on certain employees leaving, having the most junior leave was not (in my opinion) the most cost effective outcome of that plan.

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 214):
Sad news this evening coming from Co Kildare, with the death of Tony Ryan

His legacy will always with us. He has done so much to mould the current aviation industry in Ireland and in Europe. Always thought he was a man to be admired.

EIDAA

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 213):
Just a few things on Delta I want to say.

Thanks for the info on Delta - good to hear that the service is at a relatively high standard when compared to EI. Did you get a good fare on that trip by any chance? I might look at trying them some time across the pond to JFK and connect rather than taking EI to BOS. Up to now I have always avoided US legacy carriers across the pond as the service I have had on domestic routes had been pathetic. Clearly Delta and Continental are now a pretty decent alternative to the European carriers if you can get a good fare.

Quoting Bramble (Reply 215):
His legacy will always with us. He has done so much to mould the current aviation industry in Ireland and in Europe. Always thought he was a man to be admired.

Agreed. I have several colleagues here that knew him from working in GPA and I have heard great things about the man.

Nice post!
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

ei 168

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:00 pm

There's an article in this evenings herald talking about the Garda immigration checkpoints. It states that there will be twelve for Pier D

But the bit of interest is that Pier D should be open to the traveling public on the 28th of October

shamrock350

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:34 pm

Airliners.net has been down all day, I know it's started back up in a few places but now it keeps logging me out which is very annoying.

Quoting Ei 168 (Reply 217):
But the bit of interest is that Pier D should be open to the traveling public on the 28th of October

Great news! Will be a busy day at DUB, with all the Aer Lingus routes starting that day such as SFO, MCO, LGW and the other new European routes.

EISHN

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Some thoughts on your comparison with EI.

That was one hell of a post Bramble!

Drinks service

I was very happy to see that drinks came around reguarly. Although I have a gripe about the service, and this relates to both DL and EI. EI pour you a drink from a 2 litre bottle, and DL pour from cans, but neither give the whole can (EI can't in this case).

Ice cream

It really is a nice treat during a long flight.

Amenity kit: These things can be sourced cheaply (I assume) and could be placed on each seat when the a/c is groomed. A small extra cost per flight but the pax love this small touch

The kits came in small brown paper bags, but the idea is that they are enviormentaly friendly. Everyone used the bag at some stage. There was quite a line around the lavs this morning with everyone lining up so that they could brush their teeth. And most people used the eye shades. Forgot to mention that DL also provide pillows and blankets, which are very similar to the one's EI offer.

Breakfast

I believe it's just a cup of orange juice on East coast flights, right?

IFE

Yes, that's very true. EI and DL may have very similar IFE to JFK, but it's easier to see the screens on DL.
Also, you get one free alcoholic drink with the main meal service, unlike EI. People seem to be more inclined to buy drinks then for the rest of the flight, for some reason.
All inall you are right, EI should take notice of what the competition is doing.

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 216):
Did you get a good fare on that trip by any chance?

An absolute bargin. €419 PP for SNN-ATL-SEA-JFK-SNN, booked five days in advance, with only a few seats left on each flight. An absolute steal!

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 214):
Sad news this evening coming from Co Kildare, with the death of Tony Ryan.

Sad news indeed. He was a right character, and quite the business man. People may not know it, but he started off working with EI at JFK, and then sorted out the whole idea of leasing the 747s out whne not needed.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

shamrock350

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Welcome back EISHN! Good to hear you had a good flight, it nice to hear DL are providing a good service and are firmly back on track.

f1eddie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Ok lads and lassies. After my exciting production yesterday and figuring out how to post up my movies and the likes i now have the knowledge to post up this. Just something i whipped up during the day....
Hope ye all enjoy it. I'm sure ye will....

shamrock350

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 221):

Thanks so much F1eddie Big grin

The seats, the food, the style! I wish Aer Lingus and many other airlines were like that today. Bring back the 747s or even better lets get a few A380s for EI  Wink

f1eddie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 222):
even b etter lets get a few A380s for EI

HHHHHMMMMMMM yeah im sure that will happen someday. The the service was amazing in that clip. But im assuming that was business class. Also that guy is somking in the upper section.

OA260

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:50 pm

Cool I will be flying on 29th so hope to see it .

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 221):
Ok lads and lassies. After my exciting production yesterday and figuring out how to post up my movies and the likes i now have the knowledge to post up this. Just something i whipped up during the day....
Hope ye all enjoy it. I'm sure ye will....

WOW!!!! F1eddie....Ive been wanting to see something like that for months!! Thanks so much it was brilliant.

Welcome back EISHN!! Was glad to read your views on DL . Looking forward to a TR !!! Oh well gotta get some shut eye , my flights at 6am and Im still packing . Off on a 3 day cruise ,should be fun . Will do a TR of course LOL.....

smokeyrosco

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:13 am

my duty and finish time tomorrow had been changed twice so far, still not confirmed yet

When I awoke this morning and rethought that post I wanted to log back in and point out it was directed entirely at ground staff as this and only this is what I was talking about. unfortunately the site was down and I couldn't correct myself. I do know it still exists in EI for a fact, (have breakfast in the bar in the nearest pub to the airport some morning and see for yourself). And I do not think thats fair to me as a consumer but also to the likes of yourself who is dedicated and has given up so much for EI it's a shame that some people still get away with this. It's a crime in my opinion.

having the most junior leave was not (in my opinion) the most cost effective outcome of that plan.

I completely agree.

There's an article in this evenings herald talking about the Garda immigration checkpoints. It states that there will be twelve for Pier D

Great to know cheers, kinda on a par with the C pier so, isn't it 8 immigration points they have for 6 gates? which actually when I got back from Oslo was the busiest I've ever seen it.... having said that one thing I learned while working at the airport is always join the EU lane, there was only one on Sunday and it moved very quick.

Great news, I'm so happy we finally have at least some congestion relief for aircraft waiting for stands.
John Hancock

Bramble

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 219):
That was one hell of a post Bramble!

Had to have a wee lie down after it!!

Quoting EISHN (Reply 219):
Also, you get one free alcoholic drink with the main meal service, unlike EI. People seem to be more inclined to buy drinks then for the rest of the flight, for some reason

We did that on a BOS flight last year,pax had benn stuck in SNN for 2 nights,hire-in to replace our a/c had gone tech. Everyone got 2 drinks free at the start. They kept drinking the whole way to BOS. Instead of being happy, the sales manager was annoyed that the woman in charge had given free drinks. I think a complimentary drink foe dinner would go down very well with pax.

shamrock604

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:22 am

Bramble,

I think the one big thing that annoys pax is the disappearing act after dinner has been served. You tend not to see the crew after that. A few drinks runs in this time would not go amiss. It is no fun being blocked into your seat going thirsty!

That would be the single biggest improvement that EI could make: it would generate extra revenue as its a paid for service. Is it not possible for this to be done in your observation?

Toulouse

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:47 am

I actually really like the new EI advert, thanks guys for taking the time to post it. It is clearly a dig at Ryanair, which is good to see, but is has been done with class. Well done EI!

Just thought I'd share this with you guys to give an idea of how traffic has changed in DUB in a relatively short time. While back in Dublin last week I was having a wee look around my dad's office at home, and found a log I had taken while doing a bit of spotting with him at the airport. I found so many things of mine, silly little things I had forgotten about, which he had kept. Brought a few tears to my eyes and really made me miss him.
Anyway this was some spotting we did at DUB on May 30th 1986 starting at 3pm and were there for about an hour and a half. Not sure how reliable all the times are, nor the a/c registrations, but this is what I've listed.

TIME: AIRCRAFT TYPE: REGISTRATION: AIRLINE:
3.04 B737 EI-BEE Aer Lingus
3.08 Short 360 G-LEGR Manx Air
3.11 HS-125 EI-BRG Ven Air
3.14 B707 BG-??? ??????
3.16 Caravelle EC-CPI Hispania
3.23 B737 EI-BCR Aer Lingus
3.25 B737 EI-BEC Aer Lingus
3.27 DC9 OY-KGC SAS
3.34 Short 360 EI-??? Aer Lingus
3.36 Short 360 EI-BEK Aer Lingus
3.40 B737 EI-BEB Aer Lingus
3.45 Short 360 G-LEGR Manx Air
3.48 BAC-111 EI-??? Aer Lingus
3.50 B737 EI-ASA Aer Lingus
3.57 B737 EI-ASI Aer Lingus
4.05 B737 EI-ASB Aer Lingus
4.12 BAC-111 G-AVMY British Airways
4.15 Short 360 EI-??? Aer Lingus

How things have changed in just 20 years. Mainly Irish Aer Lingus aircraft, not one single Airbus, no Ryanair...

Here's a nother mess detailled log I took on August 20th 1987 (didn't list times, reg, just the aircrafts type and airlines and numbers seen:

DC-8 World Airways
DC-10 North West
TU-154 Aeroflot
Tristar British AIrways
F16 US Air Force
BAC111 Ryanair (saw 2)
Viscount Virgin
BAC111 Aer Lingus (saw 2)
Short 360 Aer Lingus (saw 2)
BAE-146 Dan Air
BAC111 British Airways
B747 Aer Lingus (saw 2)
Long live Aer Lingus!

smokeyrosco

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:15 am

Just got through US pre-clearance in DUB, I am a bit early but I just wanted to get it over and done with. Nice to see that US citizens now have to que with the rest of us when going through immigration, took about 25 minutes.

Anyway as we where talking about aircraft following people around, it looks like EI-JFK is the aircraft of choice for todays flight, this will be the third time on this aircraft and the only Airbus Widebody I have ever flown. And 3 times in one year no less.

While standing in the queue for pre clearance my phone beeped, a message from Aer Lingus asking me to proceed to immigration 90 minutes before flight (got the message 2 hours before the flight almost to the minute) but what made it funny is all the other people around me who at the same time seemed to get a message.... I wonder what they got!

Oh and I got seat 9K for anyone thats interested.
John Hancock

COEI2007

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 186):
Yeah the reason why there were not more is that Bramble and COEI2007 were charging too higher fee and it was going to go way over budget LOL....

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 227):
Bramble,

I think the one big thing that annoys pax is the disappearing act after dinner has been served. You tend not to see the crew after that. A few drinks runs in this time would not go amiss. It is no fun being blocked into your seat going thirsty!

That would be the single biggest improvement that EI could make: it would generate extra revenue as its a paid for service. Is it not possible for this to be done in your observation?

But once the dinner/ tea-coffee service is done, duty free starts, and there arent enough crew to do a drinks service at this time. If we had another crew onboard it would be more feasible! I think the cost-cutting of the past that cut back on the number of crew onboard is starting to bite EI in the rear end! I've flown CO across the Atlantic plenty of times, and they do a bar service before dinner like EI, and tea/coffee with breakfast like EI. I havent flown with DL, but EI is on par with CO across the pond.

jetstream63

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Do any of you know where you can find EI related memorabilia from the 70s and 80s ? I am especially interested in timetables, flight bags and uniform items. Thanks !

EIBoston

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 229):
Oh and I got seat 9K for anyone thats interested.

Funny, I had seat 9K from SNN-BOS on Sunday! But that was on EI-ORD. Mind you I have been on JFK at least 5 times now! Had the shower running over row 15 last Christmas Smile

tonymctigue

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 212):
Yes and I understand that but I hope that this is not going to be general public opinion, DM was on the last word today with Matt Cooper and he made his case and he's dead right, I know this from experience and I'll give an example that still exists today.... I used to start work at 3:30am in DUB, I'd set up for a certain cargo aircraft and look after it, a lot of the cargo would be managed by EI.... in other words taking off the dollies (direct from the aircraft) and put onto trucks no screening no real work at all actually, just run the equipment from a booth... EI staff would not start before their time no matter what (which was a few hours after 3:30) not even a minute would they give even if we managed to line up and make things easy for them. I would then finish work at 12 and maybe head to a local pub for a couple after work (that was usually our last day on shift) and when I/We usually arrived in, the very same EI staff that would not start before there time where getting fairly well on. They got paid for a full shift for which they maybe worked 5 hours, plus they got paid extra for starting early and they also finished early....

The Unions expect this to be a realistic future for the airline, in my opinion, it's just not good enough.

God, I can full sympathise with DM if these types of work practice are still the norm. This is fine if you are a semi-state company but in the private industry, you simply cannot keep this up.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

bx737

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 233):
God, I can full sympathise with DM if these types of work practice are still the norm. This is fine if you are a semi-state company but in the private industry, you simply cannot keep this up.

I can't answer for other sections, but certainly this is not the case in the cabin crew section. The crew levels have been cut enormously, on a A321 the crew levels have fallen by 37% and the seating capacity has risen by 10%, thus a higher productivity level, similarly for both A320 and A330. The savings yielded by the cabin crews adoption of the fly anywhere agreement last October was in the range of €6million. Cabin crew have adapted to market conditions and are in negotiation with EI despite what DM says. There has been a delay in getting recommendations from the Labour Court, in fact one was issued today which went back as far as August, there are still more to come. The Labour Court has said that Aer Lingus has to remunerate its staff for the level of cuts that management is seeking. In the recommendation today it says that Aer Lingus have to implement the new roster system for cabin crew by March 2008 (it was supposed to be implemented in 2002, but Aer Lingus management have stalled on this). This computerised roster writing system will ensure further efficiencies (yes Aer Lingus cabin crew rosters are written with pen and paper). The court also found that Aer Lingus should not seek some of the days off that they are looking for. The court also feels that changes should be paid for. The Impact union was happy with this outcome.

As COEI2007 has said it is cost cutting biting them in the bum. On a day that can in some cases last over 10 hours I don't think it is unreasonable to allow people have a break. This is done when half the crew are doing duty free. I agree with you that it would be a revenue earner, but there is the point that crews are entitled to eat while at work.

I also would like to say that I was sorry to hear of the passing of Tony Ryan yesterday. He did cause a huge shake up in the Irish aviation market and even the European market.

shamrock604

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Bx737,

I of course understand your need for a break on such fatiguing sectors, indeed that is why I was asking for your opinions. It is easy for pax to not fully appreciate what is going on with the crew when they dont see them, and think they are merely skiving. Unfortunately though, that is the perception. Skytrax is full of complaints from pax saying they never see the crew after dinner is served.

Perhaps one solution is soft drink runs that obviously dont involve cash being taken (as they are free) interspersed with the odd full bar service.SQ, MH and several others do this, serving ready poured glasses of jiuce, water etc from a tray. Very quick, and at least it prevents the aul dehydration!

Bramble

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 pm

Bramble,

I think the one big thing that annoys pax is the disappearing act after dinner has been served. You tend not to see the crew after that. A few drinks runs in this time would not go amiss.
Is it not possible for this to be done in your observation?

Absolutely agree. However after the dinner has been cleared in the 4 crew (other 3 take break at this stage) begin duty-free service from the back of the cabin. So pax understandably think crew have dissappeared because there are none visible at the front of the cabin. Before the reduction in crew after floatation there was an extra crew member who could be on duty in the forward galley to serve drinks during this service, i would love to see an increase again purely to help improve the onboard customer service. However with current company mindset I don't think that will happen.

Quoting JETSTREAM63 (Reply 231):
Do any of you know where you can find EI related memorabilia from the 70s and 80s ? I am especially interested in timetables, flight bags and uniform items. Thanks !

Uniform items cannot be bought. Not sure if timetable are availible,they stopped producing customer timetables about 6-7 years ago. Think that ebay is your best bet. Would love to get a 70s flight bag myself but haven't seen one anytime I looked on ebay.

bx737

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:23 pm

I do agree with you Shamrock604 people don't think about the fact that crew are people, you should see the look on people's faces when I step out of the bathroom, I think pax think we are super human at times. Now I will toddle back to my home planet of Krypton  Big grin

Getting back to your point, it is a valid one and one that could be looked at, but as regards using our initiative on board and going out with drinks as you suggest. Some of my colleagues may not be open to the idea of an extra bar service, others may be, but one of the commonest complaints received by EI is the inconsistency in delivery of service, some people do the service one way, others another, believe it or not pax complain about this. The extra bar service you suggest would have to be introduced across the board and given the current climate of antagonistic feelings between management and staff at the moment, this won't happen.

ei2ksea

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 232):
Funny, I had seat 9K from SNN-BOS on Sunday! But that was on EI-ORD. Mind you I have been on JFK at least 5 times now! Had the shower running over row 15 last Christmas

Hehehe - sounds familiar on EI-JFK  Smile

Looking forward to my christmas trip home next december. Shower or no shower I miss the green. All the american airlines have just merged into one big grey blob in my head at this stage.

COEI2007 - if you're in BOS at some stage send me an email. Would love the chance to grab a pint with someone on "the inside"!!
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

Toulouse

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:43 am

I see on RTE this morning the BMI has stated they are not interested in a SNN-LHR link:

Link: http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1005/shannon.html

I think this goes to show that there obviously isn't the huge demand some people around Shannon are insisting there is to serve LHR from DUB. While I do sympathise with the locals around there, I fully stand behind EI in their choic which is obviously a business choice. Aer Lingus is now a privatised company and must thus think primarily of making money for their shareholders, and thus it sickens me to see
Long live Aer Lingus!

jwmd123

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:44 am

Some news snippets from Today

Quote:
BMI decides not to take over Shannon-Heathrow route
05/10/2007 - 07:21:21

BMI has reportedly decided not to take over the Shannon to Heathrow route that is being abandoned by Aer Lingus.

The British airline had been in talks with Shannon Airport about the possibility of operating services to Heathrow.

However, reports this morning say the discussions have come to nothing.

Local campaigners and the Minister for Transport are said to be disappointed by the decision.

Whilst it is a shame that BMI are not now going to provide a service, they have said in other press that the FR issue has formed part of there decision. You cannot blame them to be honest. We all know what FR are like at looking after their 'turf'

Quote:
Aer Lingus has fall in long-haul passengers
Friday, 5 October 2007 08:30
Aer Lingus traffic statistics for September show that the airline's load factor, or amount of seats filled, on long-haul flights fell to 67.9%.

The airline has put this down to a rise in capacity after the acquisition of two new planes.

Load factor on short-haul flights was up marginally up 0.5% to 80.5%.

Notes from both Davy & Goodbody stockbrokers this morning said the Aer Lingus passenger figures were 'encouraging'.

Goodbody analyst Joe Gill said: 'It appears that, overall, travel demand in Ireland has remained strong through September.'

The airline launched its first of three new transatlantic routes to Washington DC in August 2007, and will begin services to San Francisco and Orlando at the end of this month.

It is disappointing (from an a.netter point of view) that LF is down on LH, however, the big thing to note is the Stockbrokers comments. They still believe in EI and reckon that the 'grass is greener on the other side'.

With the additional planes, this was bound to happen.

Quote:
Ryan wanted airline to look beyond Europe
Friday October 05 2007

DAYS before his death, Ryanair founder Tony Ryan said the airline that bears his name should extend its ambition beyond Europe.

"I met him last week for a couple of hours in Lyons (Dr Ryan's Kildare home), despite the fact that he knew he was dying, he wanted to discuss the strategy for Ryanair, not for next year, but for five and 10 years," Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary told RTE's 'Morning Ireland' yesterday, giving a rare insight into the Ryan family's relationship with the airline they founded.

"He (Dr Ryan) thought we're not growing fast enough and he thought we shouldn't confine ourselves to Europe. He still thought I wasn't doing a good job." Mr O' Leary has previously spoken about expanding Ryanair beyond Europe by setting up a network of hubs reaching out to Asia, while his more recent plans for non-European expansion have included setting up a low-cost transatlantic airline.

It is still unclear to what extent non-European expansion will feature in Ryanair's next mode of expansion.

In their last meeting, Dr Ryan also told Mr O'Leary that the international aviation industry was ripe for another revolution.

"As with everything else [he thought] that we should be doing it better," said Mr O'Leary, "improving customer service, lowering prices and trying to revolutionise the industry again in the next ten years in much the same way as he has lead the revolution in the last 10."

I think MO'L has already stated his intention in this regard. Maybe, we may see an acceleration of this next phase in FR's (or a separate co) business.

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 234):
As COEI2007 has said it is cost cutting biting them in the bum. On a day that can in some cases last over 10 hours I don't think it is unreasonable to allow people have a break. This is done when half the crew are doing duty free. I agree with you that it would be a revenue earner, but there is the point that crews are entitled to eat while at work.

I also would like to say that I was sorry to hear of the passing of Tony Ryan yesterday. He did cause a huge shake up in the Irish aviation market and even the European market.

I have to say, the several times I have flown T/A (All with EI bar one), crew have always been approachable and gave assistance when required (ie call bell used).

One thing I did notice on my last T/A flight to JFK in April, EI also accommodate people's dietary requirements (I did not know this was done). There was a Jewish man opposite me and specially prepared meals were provided. How would a passenger notify EI of this? Is it just a email to them?

(PS apologises for the long post but with Anet going on and off I thought I would get all my points done now!!!!)

We might need to move to No 43 soon.

pilot21

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:36 am

Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:39 am

Yes, probably time to move on to No. 43 at this stage, but I'll do that this evening ...

Well, I bet Noel Dempsey is wishing he didn't get out of bed this morning! Not good news to greet him when he arrives at his desk. BMI is not to fly the SNN-LHR route. So what now, and what does this mean for the recent government "commitment" (?) that the govt wanted to introduce a new SNN-LHR route AND a SNN-(EuroHub) route … FR's "revenge"? What is FR's agenda … Clearly govt now sees that FR rules the roost at SNN and will fight off any short haul competition … and will probably seek to do the same at SNN.

Perhaps a dawning reality - not before long - that FR holds all the cards? Deal to be done - FR allowed own terminal at DUB? Or else … tightening the boa coils around EI … Bit by bit … PRG, MAD, etc … squeezing.

And how long before MO'L introduces the long haul operation; he said it won't be from Ireland, but he also said he'd never expand from DUB … and that didn't quite happen? His comments this morning, following Tony Ryan's death, would seem to suggest that long haul expansion is definitely on the cards.

The reality is that BD - and no doubt whatever airline is targeted for a SNN-(European hub) route - was probably scared off by FR. BD probably expected - and with good reason - that FR would come down heavily on them, and WX or whoever else flies SNN-CDG/AMS will probably fear FR coming onto the SNN-AMS route or undercutting severely on SNN-BVA.

What should govt be looking to do now? Current situation a result of sleeping at the controls … govt caught like a rabbit in the headlights, stunned into inaction? What exactly has to happen before govt takes aviation policy seriously and starts developing a policy which is hands on and which does accept responsibility for growth and maximising opportunities, particularly in new markets. With various economic indicators predicting growth slowdowns, need to identify new opportunities and markets and maximise the ability of aviation to contribute … trouble is, the interest - as ever - just isn't there.

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting JWMD123 (Reply 241):
It is disappointing (from an a.netter point of view) that LF is down on LH, however, the big thing to note is the Stockbrokers comments. They still believe in EI and reckon that the 'grass is greener on the other side'.

Which beeger the question, why would EI move from a growing market (DXB) to a market where competition is increasing on an almost daily basis? Now EI might think there service is compeditive on transatlantic, but it is falling behind. If DL can offer a modern cabin, IFE, numerous refills and ammenity kits, then EI should be able to. I know LF does not equal profitability of a route, neceaasrily, but one would have thought that moving capacity into a market with falling loads would be counter productive, as this will ddepress yields further.

There was an interesting snippit on the 747 video "With 4 motion picture screens on this mammoth bird and 8 channels of audio, who wants to travel by sea?"

Seems times have not changes too much in 30 years in terms of IFE @ EI.

Brian.

tonymctigue

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 234):
I can't answer for other sections, but certainly this is not the case in the cabin crew section.

I'm sure all you cabin crew are very hard working just from what I read by your posts .

Bad news for SNN this morning with BMI announcing they will not operate. I think it is safe to say that LHR is dead in the water so now is the time to start looking for a new European hub but we all know that hell is unlikeky to freeze over anythime in the next few months so you can be sure that there will be renewed pressure on EI & the government to reverse the decisions. I see that FG have already jumped on the band wagon & called on the government to use their stake. What airlinesapart from WX who were offered the incentive deals are left at this stage?

[email protected]

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 243):
And how long before MO'L introduces the long haul operation

The last lot of info suggests it'll operate from next spring. I personally don't think it'll happen next year at all. But who knows? There's so little info - and what there is is probably wildly inaccurate - that any conclusions shouldn't really be drawn from it. It's frustrating, really, but time will, of course, tell.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EI564

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 243):
Current situation a result of sleeping at the controls … govt caught like a rabbit in the headlights, stunned into inaction?

Its hard for the government to get involved after all its pontificating about the glory of "competition" and "the market". FR had free rein in SNN and this is the result.

I certainly wouldn't help them get more control in Cork or Dublin. The results could be equally dismaying.

OA260

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Shame to see BMI are turning down SNN. Would have been a great boost to SNN and its access to Star network!!! What now???

Typing this from on board NCL's new luxury cruise ship !!! Have to say its amazing. Ruby Wax is doing a show tonight , should be fun. Far to much food and drinks lucky im getting off tomorrow LOL...

Have to say EI flight to AMS was brilliant!! I got row 1DEF to myself . Even though we boarded and due to fog we were slot restricted with an estmated delay of 1 hour 40mins we got off 40mins late and arrived only 25mins late so was good. I have to say the crew were excellent especially a older female FA called Yvonne. Maybe Bramble and COEI will know her. She was amazing and so professional, looking at boarding cards as we got on and saying ''good morning Mr ....... welcome on board''. Was a nice touch . Anyway BMI tomorrow night then a full TR with pics/videos when I get back.

EISHN

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:59 pm

Although WW ruled flying SNN-LHR, there has been talk in the local paper saying that BA are considering flying LHR-SNN-USA-SNN-LHR. That would be pretty interesting, being able to fly a 767, or maybe even a 777 to LHR!
If that were to materialize, then SNN would get both the LHR link, and a new USA route (or extra frequency on a current route).

Quoting Bramble (Reply 226):
Had to have a wee lie down after it!!

I dare say you did!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 224):
Welcome back EISHN!! Was glad to read your views on DL . Looking forward to a TR !!!

Thanks OA260, will work on it over the weekend. Forgot to mention, I was sitting in the food court of the DL terminal (in the old part), and I was looking out the window. We had a fantastic view of aircraft rotating from the runway, which was quite close. And at one stage a OA A340-300 took off right in front of us looking quite majestic! It was a great sight, but unfortunetley I could not reach my camera in time to take a picture for you. It was a great sight altogether though!

shamrock350

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:22 pm

Nice to hear that passenger numbers are up and that LF is up on short-haul. Hopefully the load factor on long-haul will recover in November. MCO is sold out for the first flight and SFO isnt far off.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 248):
What now???

Much more pressure on the government and Aer Lingus! That's all Aer Lingus need, more pressure. Shannon are probably still looking at CDG and AMS.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 248):
Have to say EI flight to AMS was brilliant!! I got row 1DEF to myself . Even though we boarded and due to fog we were slot restricted with an estmated delay of 1 hour 40mins we got off 40mins late and arrived only 25mins late so was good. I have to say the crew were excellent especially a older female FA called Yvonne. Maybe Bramble and COEI will know her. She was amazing and so professional, looking at boarding cards as we got on and saying ''good morning Mr ....... welcome on board''. Was a nice touch . Anyway BMI tomorrow night then a full TR with pics/videos when I get back.

Nice to hear Aer Lingus were good, I always find that there is one FA that really stands out from the rest because of how professional and charming they are. Cabin crew on the short-haul flights always seem good. Looking forward to the TR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos