Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

JetBlue Applies For JFK-POP

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:44 am

JetBlue applied for JFK-Puerto Plata today:

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...m?documentid=488020&docketid=29358

Currently nobody flies the route. AA pulled out about two years ago. Puerto Plata has service to three US cities, Miami, Newark, and San Juan, following Delta's pull-out last spring after less than eight months of service. It's a tough market to crack. It is more popular with Europeans.
a.

ikramerica

RE: JetBlue Applies For JFK-POP

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:15 am

This is the difficulty any airline faces if it feels it must continue to expand. If it wants to cherry pick routes, over time, those routes come fewer and farrer between, and they must take more risks. This route may do well for them, but it's no slam dunk.

As a USA customer, I'd like to see B6 fill in more blanks in the 48 states myself, so I'd have more chance to fly them. Hub it up at MCI or STL or someplace where the west coast customers can get to more places domestically without connecting in JFK.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

b752fanatic

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:31 am

Doomed to fail, DL tried it, and quit. (With a CRJ)
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

thirteenright

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 2):

So because DL tried it (with a CRJ nonetheless) and failed, that means B6 cant be successful on it? If that's your logic then there are many other B6 routes that should have failed that haven't.  twocents   point 

b752fanatic

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting ThirteenRight (Reply 3):
So because DL tried it (with a CRJ nonetheless) and failed, that means B6 cant be successful on it? If that's your logic then there are many other B6 routes that should have failed that haven't.

AA, was there too, quit, DL quit, come on? with B6 trying it will be 3 strikes you are out, unless, as you say they may be lucky. But who knows, perhaps B6 will buy a couple of resorts out there.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

md90fan

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:45 am

<12 months.

Americans don't care for the place (Canadians and Europeans love it though, only all inclusive resorts; crappy beaches!), and Dominicans use STI.

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 2):

They tried it from Atlanta.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

ikramerica

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 4):
AA, was there too, quit, DL quit, come on? with B6 trying it will be 3 strikes you are out, unless, as you say they may be lucky. But who knows, perhaps B6 will buy a couple of resorts out there.

This was my point. Whether B6 can somehow make it work or not is not the point. The point is that to continue to expand, they are now adding these marginal routes rather than filling in the USA network. And in either case, it's harder and harder to find "slam dunks."

JetBlueAUS

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 6):
This was my point. Whether B6 can somehow make it work or not is not the point. The point is that to continue to expand, they are now adding these marginal routes rather than filling in the USA network. And in either case, it's harder and harder to find "slam dunks."

Yeah, I know what you mean. They could definitely beef up their operations, especially on new and existing routes. Honestly, I've never heard of POP until someone made a thread about one of their E190s being there.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

aajfksjubklyn

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:52 pm

This is going to be an interesting case study for sure. 6B is taking a risk with this (there is reason I typed 6B). Most Dominicans call it Blue Jet in lieu of Jet Blue.  Smile Cant wait to see what happens.

JRodriguez136

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:22 pm

AAJFKSJUBKLYN you are absolutely correct the Dominicans love Bluejet...
As for the JFK-POP service, this service is planned to begin on Jan. 10, 2008, (granted that DOT and DR Govt. approves it), the flight times will be announced at another time as they are already planned, but not official...
The sky is not the limit...

desertjets

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:25 pm

Even though POP is a tourist destination, could there be any demand for VFR pax from the NYC area on this route.... somewhat important to consider given the sizable Dominican population there.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:49 am

AA has tried over and over...even VFR. So has Delta. SDQ is the traditional desitination along with STI. Both have great capacity alredy from NY via AA.

thirteenright

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting JRodriguez136 (Reply 9):
AAJFKSJUBKLYN you are absolutely correct the Dominicans love Bluejet...
As for the JFK-POP service, this service is planned to begin on Jan. 10, 2008, (granted that DOT and DR Govt. approves it), the flight times will be announced at another time as they are already planned, but not official...

PLEASE not another late night redeye turn.

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 8):
This is going to be an interesting case study for sure. 6B is taking a risk with this (there is reason I typed 6B). Most Dominicans call it Blue Jet in lieu of Jet Blue. Cant wait to see what happens

Please don't quote me on things I didn't say. I never said this.

aajfksjubklyn

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 am

I never said the Dominicans love Jet Blue????

Please don't quote my quotes with things I didn't say.

DeltaMIA

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
following Delta's pull-out last spring after less than eight months of service. It's a tough market to crack. It is more popular with Europeans.

Delta still operates Sat/Sun service from ATL with a 738
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting DeltaMIA (Reply 15):

Delta still operates Sat/Sun service from ATL with a 738

I stand corrected. Looks like Delta is at POP after all. A few weeks ago they erased all the flights from CRS. A little surprised because the route has performed horribly.
a.

N77014

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 11):
AA has tried over and over...even VFR. So has Delta. SDQ is the traditional desitination along with STI. Both have great capacity alredy from NY via AA.

Correct. You could say the same for LIR in Costa Rica.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 5):
<12 months.

Americans don't care for the place (Canadians and Europeans love it though, only all inclusive resorts; crappy beaches!), and Dominicans use STI.

Yes, because Americans in the caribbean trend to hop on the cruise ships ex Miami, while the euros and canadians tend to prefer the resorts.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

ikramerica

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting N77014 (Reply 17):
Yes, because Americans in the caribbean trend to hop on the cruise ships ex Miami, while the euros and canadians tend to prefer the resorts.

You mean all inclusive resorts.

The cheapest Americans will take the cruise, as it's mostly all inclusive and takes you all over without airfare (MIA airfare is cheap, especially when part of the cruise package).

When going to actual island resorts, Americans aren't as concerned with all inclusive, as we like to go out to restaurants and buy real drinks, rather than eat at the same place every night and have watered down drinks. Generally. Not everyone.

I noticed this in European resorts too. The idea of buying half board or full board resort packages is not something Americans generally do, and aren't even offered here in the USA in general (though some hotels offer then to foreign tour companies...)

Rcardinale

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:01 am

Good luck to them not expecting anthing but a late night flight an early morning return though. Hope it turns out successful

skyyblue

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:44 am

About time. I am actually surprised that POP came before PUJ. I think any more international expansion in the near future will be to the Dominican Republic, it works very well for us.

tu154

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Americans don't care for the place

yeah we can get non-english speaking third world experience here in Miami.........
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!