Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AF086
Topic Author

AR To Resume COR-GIG Service

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:37 am

It came out from the brazilian press that AR will resume their COR-GIG service (axed at 2005) this december. The flight will be flown once a week (sundays) with the 737-500.

Source - UOL/EFE (in portuguese only)

Pu752

RE: AR To Resume COR-GIG Service

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:16 am

1 weekly? I understand that the COR-GIG market is thin, but how profitable could be this weekly service?

SJOtoLIR

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:23 am

One weekly flight may justify few demand in such track.
This service looks easier instead to fly COR-AEP and then drive to change the airport for EZE-GIG; all the way on AR.
Despite the backtrack to Chile, there is even the possibility for COR-SCL-GIG on LA. This route is also offering limited weekly frequencies.

AF086
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Here's further information regarding the flight:

EFF 16DEC07

AR1258 - ETD COR 0840LT - ETA GIG 1240LT - B735 - Su
AR1259 - ETD GIG 1340LT - ETA COR 1630LT - B735 - Su

LipeGIG

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:28 pm

COR-GIG is a good market, also G3 flies 6x weekly COR-POA-GIG with 738 (use to be 73G but the route has been upgraded). COR is a city in Argentina that deserves more flights, and this flight to GIG can provide connections to CDG, LIS and them for markets in Spain for example. It's a weekly flight, but it's a resume that i expect to see upgrades in the near future.

Felipe

USADreamliner

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:46 am

What happened to AR's COR and BRC Hubs?

incitatus

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting PU752 (Reply 1):
1 weekly? I understand that the COR-GIG market is thin, but how profitable could be this weekly service?

It is a Sunday flight. With many Argentinians vacationing in Brazil there will plenty of takers to fill the flight.

Pu752

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 6):
It is a Sunday flight. With many Argentinians vacationing in Brazil there will plenty of takers to fill the flight.

Sunday flight ah? they depart on Sunday and during non-vacation season they have to wait 1 week for returning? Most of the cordoba people goes to their "sierras", or mendoza, Mar Del Plata or Punta Del Este not Rio...lets face something, AR is trying to replace the 732s with 735 but most of the 732 are still on service and they are trying to fill those 735 with new flights like COR-GIG or AEP-ASU why didnt they do that before? you can clearly see this with their "puente aereo" with their 7/6 daily flights to MVD with 2 or 3 daily operated by 735. Good lluck to AR, they deserve it.

LipeGIG

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:32 am

PU752,

It's not only Rio but also Buzios and Cabo Frio and in fact G3 will begin daily flights (additional GIG-EZE) with weekend stops at Cabo Frio International Airport.

AR during the summer use to upgrade 1 of the flights from 735 to a 744 or A340 because of demand, so i believe there's enough demand to fill a single flight COR-GIG and of course, without flights, it's easier to get to PDP and other places, but let's see after the flights begin.

Felipe

2travel2know

Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 6):

Sure a COR-GIG Sunday Only flight is a much needed addition for the COR market, but if its the leisure passengers AR is after, wouldn't then a COR-SSA (also) make more sense?
And I still could see some little business traffic on the GIG-COR leg on that Sunday flight, returning via EZE..

LipeGIG

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:31 am

2travel,

i believe before a COR-SSA, SSA / BSB / CNF and REC deserves non-stops to EZE.

With the new policy to allow discounts (now for example GIG-EZE-GIG has a minimum price of US$ 304 while you probably can find a EZE-GIG-EZE for US$ 149 or even less) on South America routes, as well as the discounts on airports like GIG and CNF we will see some changes in the near future. I expect we could find a GIG-EZE-GIG for US$ 199 very soon, as SSA, CNF and BSB prices will also be reduced!

Felipe

USADreamliner

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting PU752 (Reply 7):
Sunday flight ah?

why not? AR operated years ago Mar del Plata-Rio on Sundays too. So, I don't see why a Cordoba-Rio can be a problem.
And I don't see a problem either with their Puente Aereo to MVD or the AEP-ASU flights, if they can make money trying this new routes or adding more frequencies, then, good for AR!

PHKLM

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 9):
And I still could see some little business traffic on the GIG-COR leg on that Sunday flight, returning via EZE

Well, I would expect those pax are taking the JJ flight GRU-AGT-COR that goes daily.
COR definately deserves more flights, it's a cool city and it says a lot people prefer to fly LAN via SCL instead of connecting from AEP to EZE by road.
Any news on whether TAM is planning to make the flight non-stop GRU-COR?

SJOtoLIR

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:42 am

Passengers from COR are getting the following possibilities to GIG:
LA: COR-SCL-GIG
G3: COR-POA-GIG
PZ-JJ: COR-AGT-GRU-GIG
AR: COR-AEP then EZE-GIG
If G3 is strictly following its low-cost model, the fares given by AR would be apparently higher than G3 in order to link COR-GIG.
I agree about healthy operations during holiday season, but the conditions for AR to make money in such route year-round rather seems to be hard, according with this scenario.

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 4):
COR is a city in Argentina that deserves more flights, and this flight to GIG can provide connections to CDG, LIS and them for markets in Spain for example

Doesn't AR have a better chance through EZE instead GIG in order to move traffic to Europe from COR?
AR passengers from COR can fly COR-AEP and then EZE-Europe.
Altogether with AR services to Europe from EZE, A7 can make flights to LHR, CDG and FCO through MAD.
COR-SCL-MAD-LIS all the way on IB could be a best choice instead COR-GIG-LIS with AR-TP and solely available on Sundays.
The new COR-GIG seems to work mostly for origin-destination traffic.
Regards.

2travel2know

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 13):
Passengers from COR are getting the following possibilities to GIG:
LA: COR-SCL-GIG
G3: COR-POA-GIG
PZ-JJ: COR-AGT-GRU-GIG
AR: COR-AEP then EZE-GIG

And where do you leave CM COR-PTY-GIG ??  boggled 

LipeGIG

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:10 am

Doesn't AR have a better chance through EZE instead GIG in order to move traffic to Europe from COR?

I understand AR does not offer LIS and CDG as destination. And COR flights are to AEP, which demands to change airports... a little expensive change.

AR passengers from COR can fly COR-AEP and then EZE-Europe

To MAD, BCN and FCO non-stop only

Altogether with AR services to Europe from EZE, A7 can make flights to LHR, CDG and FCO through MAD.

COR-EZE-MAD-CDG vs COR-GIG-CDG ... 1 transfer seems to be better.

The new COR-GIG seems to work mostly for origin-destination traffic.

Agree 100% but connections are also possible, GIG is a single connection even better than changing airports (AEP to EZE).

I know you pointed out it's sole 1 frequency, but it's an alternative.

Felipe

SJOtoLIR

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 15):
I understand AR does not offer LIS and CDG as destination. And COR flights are to AEP, which demands to change airports... a little expensive change.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 14):
And where do you leave CM COR-PTY-GIG ??

True. These are really complicate schedules, but even possible anyhow.
The point would be rather focusing in those viable possibilities based on schedules and code-share operations that supply a good product from the point of view of the customers from COR.
1.COR-GIG-LIS. As far as I am aware, there is no any code-share agreement between AR and TP that could warrant any advantage in fares and level of service. Mind only available on Sundays as well.
2. COR-AEP then EZE-MAD-CDG vs. COR-GIG-CDG (one weekly). I agree about the complicate ground transferred in Buenos Aires, but the business chance for AR is through EZE, not GIG. Passengers from COR have a better choice with IB and PZ-JJ on the way to CDG.
3.COR-PTY-GIG. Well, it is still a possibility but isn't an extremely hard backtrack towards Central America and spending almost 18 hours in such route? The roundtrip fare is around US$1700 in Y (Fare may vary, just for illustrative purposes).

Related to COR, I had read some months ago the possibility in the future for flights covering COR-MIA, any update?

Regards.  Smile

Marambio

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:05 am

COR-GIG is just a charter, seasonal service operated under a regular flight number. AR got the rights for the route ages ago and they are just using them right now.

The flight will most probably be stopped after the summer holidays are over.

Saludos,
Marambio

[Edited 2007-10-02 22:09:51]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos