Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Varig Back To LHR On Oct 29

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:49 am

Varig will resume their daily service from Rio and São Paulo to London effective October 28 with two Boeing 767-300ER

RG8752 will operate on a crazy schedule

GIG 2030 GRU 2130 XXXX LHR YYYY

Mondays:
0100 LHR 1500
TU/TH:
0205 LHR 1605
WE:
0105 LHR 1505
FR/Saturday:
2359 LHR 1500
SU:
0030 LHR 1430

And

RG8753 LHR 2205 GRU 0815 0900 GIG 1000
To begin Oct/29

This schedule is subject to change.

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

dougbr2006

RE: Varig Back To LHR On Oct 29

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:07 am

Way to go Varig, get some good planes and descent fares and I for one will switch back to a direct flight instead of AMS.

tonytifao

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:46 am

Felipe,

How is Varig doing lately? Since they have started operating, are they profitable today?

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 pm

No Tony,

They are money waste for Gol now.
Low load factors, bad yields...

Felipe

N383PA

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:14 pm

At least some more competition on the south America routes. Hope that GOL will manage to turn RG around otherwise they will have a short life!

By the way, they will go to Terminal 2 in LHR.

dellatorre

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 3):
No Tony,

They are money waste for Gol now.
Low load factors, bad yields...

Felipe

Is that really worth it???? RG has been operating with bad loads domestically and internationally and GOL keeps spending their $$ in getting those 767 as soon as possible, not to mention the others costs involved in opening an new international base.

GOL will have to make tremendous investments in RG to even get it competing with a decent product in this European routes. And so far they only have losses..

Makes me wonder how this RG venture is going to turn out for GOL?

CHRISBA777ER

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 pm

Can the 763ER do LHR-GIG with a full passenger and cargo load or are they weight restricted?
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

VC10er

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:53 am

ok, this is moving pretty fast. frankfurt, paris, rome now london. what other cites next. i know usa wont be until 2008.

will this satisfy their reentry into star alliance or are they too angry about being kicked out?

is the c product at least up to average good? or as horrible as their old RG 767's?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 6):
Can the 763ER do LHR-GIG with a full passenger and cargo load or are they weight restricted?

Yes it can. But in fact will fly to São Paulo Guarulhos, even far and higher than GIG.

I've been informed that they could change this, but up to now keep confirmed this way.

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 5):
Is that really worth it???? RG has been operating with bad loads domestically and internationally and GOL keeps spending their $$ in getting those 767 as soon as possible, not to mention the others costs involved in opening an new international base.

They decided to invest, bought Varig, lease the old 763's to keep the slots at prime locations like FRA, LHR, CDG and JFK... now the worst should be if they decide to go back... they will waste more money during the next 6 to 18 months until they get the confidence of a more regular schedule.

Felipe

IAD380

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:53 am

I doubt that RG will successfully compete with JJ and BA on this route. If load factors and yields are as low as LipeGIG says, GOL-RG should not expand into Europe so rapidly. The red ink will only grow. Evidently, RG is determined to return quickly to the European destinations it abandoned during its financial meltdown. Who knows what comes next. Perhaps RG will extend GIG-GRU-LHR to CPH, as part of a nostalgic effort to re-establish a route that it flew for more than 20 years, regardless of whether it is financially feasible.

AF022

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:06 am

Has it been confirmed when RG will be returning to MEX?

LINATE

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:05 am

It seems they are trying to revive a dead horse.... And after so much water went down the bridge it will be very difficult, Especially if they are bringing back the OLD, TIRED Flight attendants from the OLD Varig, and are not creating a distinctive upgraded product. I personally think this strategy will not work...

Reggaebird

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting LINATE (Reply 11):
It seems they are trying to revive a dead horse.... And after so much water went down the bridge it will be very difficult, Especially if they are bringing back the OLD, TIRED Flight attendants from the OLD Varig, and are not creating a distinctive upgraded product. I personally think this strategy will not work...

I bet GOL have to get these routes up and running so that they won't lose the rights. If they are smart, they will invest in some distinctive product enhancements (e.g., more space/fewer seats, enhanced personal service, AVOD, etc.) that will distinguish them from the competition and then market themselves a the "phoenix" rising from the ashes. Further marketing would harken back to memories of when VARIG was a world class carrier and tug at the nationalistic heartstrings of Brazilians.

Reggaebird

dellatorre

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 8):
They decided to invest, bought Varig, lease the old 763's to keep the slots at prime locations like FRA, LHR, CDG and JFK... now the worst should be if they decide to go back... they will waste more money during the next 6 to 18 months until they get the confidence of a more regular schedule.

We have to see if in 5 years RG was the right decision for GOL.

LINATE

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 12):
If they are smart, they will invest in some distinctive product enhancements (e.g., more space/fewer seats, enhanced personal service, AVOD, etc.) that will distinguish them from the competition and then market themselves a the "phoenix" rising from the ashes. Further marketing would harken back to memories of when VARIG was a world class carrier and tug at the nationalistic heartstrings of Brazilians.

You are right. If they are smart they will go in that direction. Bottom line is -- they will not make it if they continue the way it is....
cheers,

sandrozrh

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting N383PA (Reply 4):
By the way, they will go to Terminal 2 in LHR.

T2? You sure? That's the european/North african shorthaul terminal. Are you sure you didn't mean T3?

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 am

Next destination should be MEX, after MAD.

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 13):
We have to see if in 5 years RG was the right decision for GOL.

Yes, you're right. May be at this time with better planes they could compete better.

Quoting IAD380 (Reply 9):
I doubt that RG will successfully compete with JJ and BA on this route. If load factors and yields are as low as LipeGIG says, GOL-RG should not expand into Europe so rapidly

Well IMO, you have 3 options to compete as a new player

1- Price
2- Service
3- New destination

We can say RG will solely compete with price on the same market and with a worst product... or.. they will focus only on low yield as i doubt considering JJ is selling GRU-LHR C with flat bed and a good A332 product for $ 3,000 as well as BA is selling for a closer fare their C product, also very good...

I'm not biased but a GIG-LHR could be better...

Felipe

AF022

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 16):
Next destination should be MEX, after MAD.

Won't RG face a lot of competition on the MEX route from AM and Ocean? Is there that much traffic to support such a huge jump in capacity?

vv701

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 15):
T2? You sure? That's the european/North african shorthaul terminal. Are you sure you didn't mean T3?

This used to be true but not now. I believe that airlines operating out of T2 now include Air Seychelles, Air Transat, Azerbaijan , Avianca, Bellview, China Eastern, Iran Air, Sudan Airways, Yemania and, soon, Varig.

EddieDude

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 17):
Won't RG face a lot of competition on the MEX route from AM and Ocean? Is there that much traffic to support such a huge jump in capacity?

I can't answer if there is sufficient demand to sustain three airlines. What I can imagine though is that RG's return will dilute everybody's yield.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

sandrozrh

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 18):

This used to be true but not now. I believe that airlines operating out of T2 now include Air Seychelles, Air Transat, Azerbaijan , Avianca, Bellview, China Eastern, Iran Air, Sudan Airways, Yemania and, soon, Varig.

Wow!

Interesting. On my numerous LHR trips this year i've never seen any of the above airlines at T2. I remember seeing IR at T3 the other week. Does Air Transat even serve LHR? I thought they were going to LGW. And Avianca? I believe they don't currently serve LHR, aswell as Air Seychelles, but i might be terribly wrong.

Anyway, would be great if true. Some more spotting variety when waiting for my flights at T2 Big grin

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 17):

Considering even Ocen Air is not established yet on the route, there's too much traffic as both are not part of alliances and does not allow customers to get advantage of connections out of MEX. Ocean Air has even a limited network in Brazil and need to pay hotel for their customers.... RG is part of a strong company, so they can hold even with loss.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 19):
I can't answer if there is sufficient demand to sustain three airlines. What I can imagine though is that RG's return will dilute everybody's yield.

Perfect !

And Ocean Air decided to fly only 3x weekly up to this week.

Felipe

LINATE

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:18 pm

Gol has a reputation to be a pretty savvy business. I just cannot understand how htey got into this "rescue" operation with VARIG, without changing the business model, or making it distinguished. Maybe I am missing something, maybe they have some cards up their sleeves, but it surely does not seem so.

StarGoldLHR

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 pm

I think GOLs doing the right thing...

Star Alliance is a good thing for Varig. Getting back into Star will generate that all important feed business.
There's good yields of Brazil to Europe routes, revenues are very high and competition is low.

On US routes' there's a huge predominance of US airlines so yields are lower.

Get the europe routes back.. gets the feed, get's the Star Alliance membership brings the profit.

RG will never make money being a regional carrier.. it'll only ever be as good as BMI... without the baby.

They need to do this sooner than later as TAM is gaining huge ground.. if they don't take TAM on... TAM will join a major alliance and the international routes will be lost, the feed gone and the airline wont survive.

in the long term this is a good thing for Brazil as it will bring 2 majors, more competition and better alliances for south america... whilst there's only 1 big airline in brazil.. there's no incentive, competition.. which is why RG failed in the first place.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

LINATE

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 23):
They need to do this sooner than later as TAM is gaining huge ground.. if they don't take TAM on... TAM will join a major alliance and the international routes will be lost, the feed gone and the airline wont survive.

That was part of my point. They need to do something soon... And join STAR alone will not do it. They also need to have a distinctive product.
Like someone mentioned in this thread, competing with JJ's and BA's products will be though, especially if they only have those 767 without a decent C class, no PVTs, etc...

EddieDude

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Star Alliance is a good thing for Varig. Getting back into Star will generate that all important feed business.
There's good yields of Brazil to Europe routes, revenues are very high and competition is low.

Get the europe routes back.. gets the feed, get's the Star Alliance membership brings the profit.

RG will never make money being a regional carrier.. it'll only ever be as good as BMI... without the baby.

Well, considering that JJ has entered into partnership agreements with UA and LH, it looks very unlikely that Star Alliance will welcome RG back.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

dellatorre

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting LINATE (Reply 22):
Gol has a reputation to be a pretty savvy business. I just cannot understand how htey got into this "rescue" operation with VARIG, without changing the business model, or making it distinguished. Maybe I am missing something, maybe they have some cards up their sleeves, but it surely does not seem so.

Quoting LINATE (Reply 24):
That was part of my point. They need to do something soon... And join STAR alone will not do it. They also need to have a distinctive product.
Like someone mentioned in this thread, competing with JJ's and BA's products will be though, especially if they only have those 767 without a decent C class, no PVTs, etc...

Ok, I think this explanation by SAOAP, from another thread can put GOL/RG strategy very simple for us. The objective is secure the slots and not compete with product at this time.. please see below:

One thing everyone should keep in mind right now is that Gol/Varig's first order of buisness is to secure the slots to Europe. Hence you see they are flying there with any equipment they can find on the market. The company itself has recently admitted that what they are currently offering is far from what they plan for. When Gol bought Varig they were quite aware that it would cost them a lot of money and time (funny how people still haven't learnt that to make something work in the long-run it might take a 'longer' time to get it done as well).

Gol/Varig have some aces in their pocket which will see the light of day in due time. The competition should brace itself because the 'going is about to get a little bit tougher'. Just a little preview:

1) While Varig is still securing the slots and hasn't been able to define/present its new product their main weapon will be very aggressive prices, which, like it or not, is something to fight with and can hurt the competition at some point.
2) Gol/Varig still haven't started code-sharing; when that does happen, Varig will have good feeder flights (especially from South America, where Gol's network is much better than TAM's - not to mention Varig's own network which will be expanded shortly; see next point).
3) Aside from the 14 767's due to be delivered throughout 2007/2008 Varig will receive 9 used 737-800 and 5 factory fresh ones (including 4 Short-field performance ones) starting with deliveries starting in October 2007. Aside from that there is the distinct possibility of Gol rearranging its own fleet and 'lending' Varig some planes. Consequently you can expect a major network expansion quite soon.
4) Building on the previous point: Gol/Varig are expected to announce a new wide-body order soon. The major consensus is that a mix of 787-8 and 787-9 will be ordered while Gol/Varig are also pushing the 787-10. News on this deal be made official very soon. Around 20-40 planes will be included in this order. The 787 was actually 'unofficially' confirmed by Gol's Network and IT VP in an interview.
5) Varig has just finalized its first interline agreements with Mexicana, El Al Israel, Air Europa and Delta Airlines. Meanwhile agreements with Lufthansa, Air France and Alitalia are also on their way. For the non-believers: I know it first-hand that Gol/Varig have settled all debts the old VARIG had with Lufthansa...
6) For the second trimester of 2008 Varig is currently preparing a new 'premium product'. According to unofficial industry news Varig will retrofit the business class of all its 'new' 767 with 180° lie-flat seats.
7) Varig is currently preparing to launch its new corporate identity which includes a new image, new logo, new livery, new website, new crew uniform, among others.

I might have forgotten something in here. If I remember it or anyone else does, please share it!

As I said, 'the going is about to get tougher'

I think this can work, it is a matter of doing this ASAP... to avoid JJ and other competitors to gain to much terrain!! Brazil needs RG back, to give JJ more competition.. it is amazing in such big country to have as sole intl carrier JJ... we need at least 2 more intl carriers to balance this. Look at JJ prices to Europe and USA.. some are ridiculously expensive, meaning that there is a too much demand for the current offer. In some cases like US, it is worse, with JJ having monopoly from a brazilian side, and even foreign competitors like AA, CO, DL, UA have high fares.. If you go to AA brazilian website, you see "Special Offers" GIG-MIA for USD1.250,00!!!

I hope Gol succeeds in bringing back RG, brazilians and others have all to benefit with this.

Rgs,

Neo

N383PA

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 15):

Yes RG goes to T2 and will be handled by Alitalia ground handling according to my information.

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 20):
Does Air Transat even serve LHR?

They do but only Saturdays and Sundays. As far as I know that will go up to 4 flights a week in the summer season 2008.All flights LHR-YYZ.

RICARIZA

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 20):
And Avianca? I believe they don't currently serve LHR,

They don't, but it is supposed to be the first "new" international route to be opened in 2008.
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Yields for US are very hight. Flights are shorter and fares are higher nowadays than the ones to Europe. During the past 12 months we saw several new services or upgrades to Europe... none to US....

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 25):
Well, considering that JJ has entered into partnership agreements with UA and LH, it looks very unlikely that Star Alliance will welcome RG back.

Also TP which in fact is in force.

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 26):
5) Varig has just finalized its first interline agreements with Mexicana, El Al Israel, Air Europa and Delta Airlines. Meanwhile agreements with Lufthansa, Air France and Alitalia are also on their way

Also Air France has been announced last week. Seems to me that RG is now closer to SkyTeam than even Star.

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 26):
If you go to AA brazilian website, you see "Special Offers" GIG-MIA for USD1.250,00!!!

And all additional room goes not to Rio even such marvellous fare... i will fly SilverJet London-New York on Business for around US$ 2,000 R/T.. seems that US$ 1,250 for a promotional fare Y ticket is a gold mine.

Felipe

Neo

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 29):
Yields for US are very hight. Flights are shorter and fares are higher nowadays than the ones to Europe. During the past 12 months we saw several new services or upgrades to Europe... none to US....

Except for UA IAD-GIG, but very true.. yields to US are extremelly high these days!

Also Air France has been announced last week. Seems to me that RG is now closer to SkyTeam than even Star.

I agree..100%

And all additional room goes not to Rio even such marvellous fare... i will fly SilverJet London-New York on Business for around US$ 2,000 R/T.. seems that US$ 1,250 for a promotional fare Y ticket is a gold mine.

I know.. I'm having a hard time to find a decent fare to LAX... it is just crazy!!

Rgs,

Neo

United787

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 12):
Further marketing would harken back to memories of when VARIG was a world class carrier and tug at the nationalistic heartstrings of Brazilians.

I agree, they need a commercial along the same lines as this AR one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDH5zmCzkMM&search=aerolineas

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 25):

I agree, I think TAM will eventually join Star Alliance. I flew to Brazil on UA in 2004 and flew RG around Brazil. I enjoyed all the flights on RG and miss them being a part of Star Alliance. I hope they eventually join SkyTeam, I think they will make a great addition to SkyTeam...

C010T3

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting Neo (Reply 30):
Except for UA IAD-GIG, but very true..

IAD-GIG is only a rerouted flight. It used to be the seasonal IAD-GRU.

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Neo (Reply 30):
Except for UA IAD-GIG, but very true.. yields to US are extremelly high these days!

Neo, fares on GIG-IAD are not low in my opinion.... take a look on UA website (Brazil)

http://www.united.com.br/local/portu...ValuableOffers&linkTitle=ELF+03APR

Please give me your opinion.

Regards,
Felipe

AF022

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:22 am

North-South is very expensive for carriers to operate because of low aircraft utilization. High fares are to be expected.

Neo

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 33):
Neo, fares on GIG-IAD are not low in my opinion.... take a look on UA website (Brazil)

http://www.united.com.br/local/portu...ValuableOffers&linkTitle=ELF+03APR

Please give me your opinion.

I know Felipe, I totally agree with you.. what I meant is that UA IAD-GIG was an exception in terms of new services and upgrades to Brazil from the US.

Rgs,

Neo

braby

Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:07 pm

This is true in all of these case except Avianca who have not flown to LHR for about 5 years, although they are rummored to be returning in 2008, and Iran Air who opearate out of T3.

It would be good to see RG flights back at LHR but will they be able to make the routes work? Only time will tell. However they are going to have to ensure that their product matches JJ and BA on these routes and still be competitive with their prices.

[email protected]

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 pm

It would be nice to see RG metal again at LHR, gone are the good old days of the MD-11 as a regular sighting. South American airlines simply don't have a presence in London and the UK as a whole compared to CDG, FRA and MAD.

Iran Air use terminal 3, definitely not T2.
In Arsene we trust!!

LipeGIG
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting Neo (Reply 35):
I know Felipe, I totally agree with you.. what I meant is that UA IAD-GIG was an exception in terms of new services and upgrades to Brazil from the US

Neo, i'm sorry, now i understood your point.

Regards,
Felipe

BOAC911

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:02 pm

I have a feeling that if anyone is going to join Star Alliance in Brazil it's going to be TAM. Effective mid-november they are discontinuing their codeshare with AA and partnership w/ AAdvantage. It appears that LH codeshares and Miles&More are taking their place...I'm inclined to believe that Varig is moving closer to AA and One World.

First, Star Alliance kicks RG out of the alliance (because they consider them "no longer a network carrier") yet still find them useful when it comes to contracting their Business Class lounge at GRU.

BOAC911

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:02 pm

I have a feeling that if anyone is going to join Star Alliance in Brazil it's going to be TAM. Effective mid-november they are discontinuing their codeshare with AA and partnership w/ AAdvantage. It appears that LH codeshares and Miles&More are taking their place...I'm inclined to believe that Varig is moving closer to AA and One World.

First, Star Alliance kicks RG out of the alliance (because they consider them "no longer a network carrier") yet still find them useful when it comes to contracting their Business Class lounge and GRU.

VC10er

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:12 pm

disappointed to hear that they are changing the identity and logo. what they had was beautiful and worldclass. i hope they resist the aeromexico, thai, virgin swoosh under the tail.

is it GOL's agency that designed it?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Viscount724

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Braby (Reply 36):

This is true in all of these case except Avianca who have not flown to LHR for about 5 years, although they are rummored to be returning in 2008, and Iran Air who opearate out of T3.

Uzbekistan Airways (HY) also use T2 on their twice-weekly nonstops to Tashkent.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos