Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tomascubero
Topic Author

Air Caraïbes, Sunwing And A Surprise To SJO, 2008

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi all from A.net,

I am glad to announce the new airlines that are serving SJO by the end of this year and in 2008, these come from the following newspaper article (which you must suscribe for free to view):

http://www.larepublica.net/app/cms/www/index.php?pk_articulo=1625

To start if off, Air Caraïbes has announced non-stop service from PTP and FDF with Embraer 195 (which is going to be one of the premiere routes for this type!) starting sometime in December (dates to be confirmed). They have also announced PTY, also good news for our friends there too!

Secondly, Sunwing has also announced the opening of a "charter" type route from YYZ with 737-800 as equipment, no dates either have been confirmed. Sunwing has operated in Costa Rica before but only to LIR (Liberia) as charters from YYZ too.

Thirdly and the most exciting one, is the opening of Air China from HKG or PEK along with the interest of another unnamed airline from Asia as well. According to the news article it is nothing confirmed yet but the likliness of this is VERY high says Viviana Martin, viceminister of transports in Costa Rica. She also said there is a second Asian airline with interest in the route (I presume its Chinese so maybe China Eastern or Southern?).

And as it was already confirmed, Frontier is still up to start this November 30th from DEN with A319 with a morning schedule as set already in Amadeus and OAG (too lazty to check!).

I hope the Air China goes through, it is our dream to see a scheduled 747-400 passenger service from somewhere!

Regards to all!
Tomas.

[Edited 2007-10-02 05:19:29]

LTU932

RE: Air Caraïbes, Sunwing And A Surprise To SJO, 2008

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:57 pm

Quoting Tomascubero (Thread starter):
Thirdly and the most exciting one, is the opening of Air China from HKG or PEK along with the interest of another unnamed airline from Asia as well.

HKG seems unlikely for CA since they don't use HKG as a hub. If an airline comes from HKG, it's most likely that CX or O8 will be those airlines, with O8 being the most likely of them all given that they're an LCC and SJO is more of a low-yield market, which makes SJO somewhat unattractive for CX as a PAX flight.

BTW: Anyone wanna speculate where a possible CA PEK-SJO flight will stop?

I hope the Air China goes through, it is our dream to see a scheduled 747-400 passenger service from somewhere!

Who knows, if O8 starts HKG-SJO with a stop in either OAK or YVR, a 747 will be highly likely. As for CA starting up PEK-SJO with a 747, it may seem a pipe dream, but if CA has enough 747 Combis, given the huge demand for Chinese goods in Costa Rica, it's still highly likely that CA could send 747s down here.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

md90fan

RE: Air Caraïbes, Sunwing And A Surprise To SJO, 2

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Great news for Central America  checkeredflag 

To start if off, Air Caraïbes has announced non-stop service from PTP and FDF with Embraer 195 (which is going to be one of the premiere routes for this type!) starting sometime in December (dates to be confirmed). They have also announced PTY, also good news for our friends there too!

They are getting 1x E-190, not E-195. PTY should do fine, thanks to having strong ties with the Caribbean and plenty of connecting opportunities, I'm not too sure about French Caribbean-Costa Rica, although it has potential (charter service in the past IIRC)
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

LTU932

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 2):
I'm not too sure about French Caribbean-Costa Rica, although it has potential (charter service in the past IIRC)

The other potential is for connecting to the flight to ORY. This gives people another alternative to fly to Europe while avoiding the US and and their visa requirements, one of the reasons IB restarted their now highly successful direct flights to Central America in the first place. That being said, I wonder if this could affect any plans AF has to launch CDG-SJO in the future, since TX is I believe part of the AF-KL group.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

FlySSC

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:01 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
I wonder if this could affect any plans AF has to launch CDG-SJO in the future, since TX is I believe part of the AF-KL group.

TX is not owned by AF, nor part of the AF-KL group.

The company was founded in July 2000 through the merger of various local airlines (Air Guadeloupe, Air Martinique, Air St Barthélémy, Air St Martin). Just like Air Tahiti Nui, Air Calédonie, or Air Austral, Air Caraïbes was officially created to promote tourism and boost economy in the French Caribbean islands. It is largely subsidized by the local poliitical institutions.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 am

Let me quote the schedule for TX to Central America:

TX 250........FDF 14:15..........PTP 14:55 ...........E90
TX 250........PTP 15:35..........PTY 17:35 ...........E90
TX 250........PTY 18:15..........SJO 18:20............E90
Tuesdays and Thursdays.

TX 251 ........SJO 07:30.........PTY 09:40............E90
TX 251.........PTY 10:30.........PTP 14:30............E90
TX 251.........PTP 15:30.........FDF 16:10............E90
Wednesdays and Fridays.
Starts: December 11th.

Does TX utilize any code-share operation to move passengers from the Caribbean to the rest of Europe through ORY?

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 2):
They are getting 1x E-190

Is this a new own aircraft from TX?

And as it was already confirmed, Frontier is still up to start this November 30th from DEN with A319 with a morning schedule as set already in Amadeus and OAG (too lazty to check!).

F9 86.........DEN 00:10.......SJO 06:25........319.......Starts: November 30th.....4 times a week
F9 87.........SJO 07:30........DEN 12:15.......319.......Starts: November 30th.....4 times a week

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
BTW: Anyone wanna speculate where a possible CA PEK-SJO flight will stop?

CA is a potential candidate to join Star Alliance.
In fact, CA code-shares with UA both LAX-PEK and SFO-PEK
I guess it would be a tag-on from LAX.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

SJOtoLIR

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 5):
In fact, CA code-shares with UA both LAX-PEK and SFO-PEK

The CA-UA code-share agreement between China and U.S. destinations is even more extended: SFO-PVG, ORD-PVG, IAD-PEK, JFK-PEK, ORD-PEK and maybe others.
My point is rather focusing in the stop for SJO that makes sense in any of the Californian destinations served with CA, using their own frames.  Wink
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos