BCNGRO
Topic Author

IB And JK To Share BCN's New Terminal

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 pm

AENA has just annonced that BCN's new terminal, T-Sud, has been allocated to both OneWorld and Star Alliance. IB's "puente aereo" will be moved to the new terminal (ok, that's great use for the new terminal...). Sky Team will be given a "specific area" in the northern terminal.

Iberia i Spanair es repartiran la nova terminal telenoticies.cat catalan
AENA adjudica a Oneworld y Star Alliance la T-Sud Finanzas.com spanish

More sources to come soon.

[Edited 2007-10-02 15:31:01]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

BBADXB

RE: IB And JK To Share BCN's New Terminal

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:41 pm

A nice compromise here. Will it work well and make the best use of this terminal?

Summa767

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:04 am

A salomonic decision by Aena, by not upsetting Iberia or Spanair.
The spanish low costs airlines will also be moving to the new terminal, leaving foreign LCCs and Skyteam where they are, as well as some sundry ones.
Some "analligned carriers that do intercontinental flights" will also move to TS. I guess that is Air comet, Aerolineas and Avianca (AA as well, of course, being that it's OW). Presumibly AeroMexico and Delta will stay in TN.

[Edited 2007-10-02 17:14:36]

RAFVC10

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:05 am

Hi BCNGRO,

The great choice to satisfy both airlines.

Sounds interesting. Do you know if the underground or the train will arrive to the new Terminal?

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

r2rho

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:11 am

Slightly off topic, but will the crosswind runway remain operational when the new terminal opens? I know that it is unlikely to be used with the two parallel ones doing a better job, but I'm just wondering if it will be still kept active or be decommissioned.

BCNGRO
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:17 am

I personally don't like the decision, I think it would have been better for BCN to allocate its new terminal to a single alliance, an alliance willing to start new and longer routes from BCN (and that rules out OW, in my opinion).

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 3):
Do you know if the underground or the train will arrive to the new Terminal?

Both the new Metro line (L9) and high-speed link should have a stop there when built.

Here is an article in english by Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/10/02/afx4177911.html

[Edited 2007-10-02 19:18:31]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

Humberside

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:27 am

I asume Air Europa would be with Skyteam?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

SKY1

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 5):
an alliance willing to start new and longer routes from BCN (and that rules out OW, in my opinion).

The problem here: There is no such airline alliance.
Time flies! Enjoy life!

kiwiandrew

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 am

interesting that the Forbes article says

Airport authority Aena said it has assigned spaces at Barcelona's new T-Sur terminal to 42 airlines, including the OneWorld alliance members Iberia, Clickair and Air Nostrum and to the Star Alliance members Spanair and Air Comet.

do they know something we dont know about Air Comet and Star ? I know Marsans have said that if they buy out JK they would like keep it in Star and bring Air Comet and AR in as well - but I think they might be getting ahead of themselves here

Aisak

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm

I think it would have been better for BCN to allocate its new terminal to a single alliance, an alliance willing to start new and longer routes from BCN (and that rules out OW, in my opinion).

AA is to launch JFK-BCN soon. That's only 50% of the number of Star Alliance long-haul routes.

The allocation should have been based on current and short-term use of existing facilities. Oneworld should be fine at current TC and maybe 1 more concourse at TB. ClickAir does not offer connecting flights so they would have been confortable along Iberia at TB but I think it's the current Air Nostrum situation what may have triggered the change. The Councourse 0 is a little overcrowded and is not optimal for Air Nostrum's regional operations.

The "Iberia will now lose the Air Shuttle monopoly" is just politic nonsense. Anyone could set up a new Air shuttle service between Madrid and Barcelona simply by allowing customers to buy an open ticket and use it 20 minutes before take off at the checkin counter. I don't get it. why people always mix up Air Shuttle with MAD-BCN?

BBADXB

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but when is the Terminal-Sur @ BCN due to open?

Last month, I travelled through Madrid's T4 for the first time, and would love to travel through BCN's T-Sur once it's up and running. Gracias y 'deu.

BBADXB  sun 

bullpitt

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi All

Quoting Aisak (Reply 9):
The "Iberia will now lose the Air Shuttle monopoly" is just politic nonsense. Anyone could set up a new Air shuttle service between Madrid and Barcelona simply by allowing customers to buy an open ticket and use it 20 minutes before take off at the checkin counter. I don't get it. why people always mix up Air Shuttle with MAD-BCN?

I just love reading these stupid comments made primarily by DUMB catlan politicians who have a tendency to say C*RAP everytime they open their mouth.

IB does not have a monopoly, Vueling, Spanair and UX all have flights between the two cities, Spanair actually has set their operation from where IB use to fly in T-3 if I'm not mistaken. Another thing is that they can offer the same service (whitch they can't) I have arrived at the Puente Aéreo at 07:15 and have started to board at 7:30, the puente aereo is a wonderfull service and I'm convinced it will be able to compete with the AVE when it comes into service. We'll see if the rest of the companies can keep up.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

stylo777

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Aisak (Reply 9):
AA is to launch JFK-BCN soon. That's only 50% of the number of Star Alliance long-haul routes.

AA isn't a Star Alliance member! They are in Oneworld.

trinxat

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 11):
the puente aereo is a wonderfull service

Please make clear that this is your interested and biased opinion, not an independent statement

I'm convinced it will be able to compete with the AVE when it comes into service

Compete? yes, but win the battle? Mmmm not so sure

I just love reading these stupid comments made primarily by DUMB catlan politicians who have a tendency to say C*RAP everytime they open their mouth.

Oh my god here we go again
 indifferent 
Fortunately their madrid counterparts never say stupid things, isnt' it? thank god  sarcastic 

Now on the terminal stuff: I am not surprised, as we know for long the links IB-Aena, which explains how it is possible that the most premium facility in BCN is awarded to an airline that has their main hub just 600km away. Such an absurd and insane decision can only be taken here. IB plans for expansion are the real crap, as those intercontinental routes they promised some months back from BCN I am sure (and this is my opinion, to avoid misunderstandings) were a bait to sound more attractive to the eyes of stakeholders in the decision

Furthermore, IB and JK are on sale.... and the first might be bought by AF-KL...which will operate from terminal Norte. This whole decision will need to be reviewed on the coming months like it or not

And what about Air Europa? Their BCN-MAD service from terminal sud and the rest of flights from T-Norte?

And finally and most absurd: terminal sud was built to enable easy connections. Can then anyone explain why LCCs as Clickair and vueling are there, as they only offer P2P services?

In some airports, the trend is to group LCCs in a special area, in which ideally they would have a quick access to the street, in and out, because people that travel with them moslty do not have transits and don't need to walk 1km to get out of a full size terminal packed with airline lounges, shopping malls, all kinds of facilites that they will not use....  yuck   banghead 

Aisak

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 12):
AA isn't a Star Alliance member! They are in Oneworld.

Please read again. And pay attention to the text I quoted. I was refering to the "and that rules out OW" part and was comparing oneworld and Star at BCN (OW with JFK and Star with PHL and MXP->SIN)

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 13):
as we know for long the links IB-Aena, which explains how it is possible that the most premium facility in BCN is awarded to an airline that has their main hub just 600km away

It's not awarded to AN airline, but 42. One of them is Iberia whose main hub is 600 Kms away. Another one is US airways whose main hub is 6000 Kms away, 10000 Kms for Aerolineas Argentinas, 11000 for Singapore Airlines... I wouldn't say BCN is THE main hub for Spanair or Air Europa either, would you?

The only airlines based at BCN, Vueling and Clickair, shouldn´t also be at T-Sur because they don't offer connections (thus the latter has announced plans to do so).... should the building remain empty till we find anyone suitable for it?

And what about Air Europa? Their BCN-MAD service from terminal sud and the rest of flights from T-Norte?

They're given the choice... but they won't do that almost for sure.

Can then anyone explain why LCCs as Clickair and vueling are there, as they only offer P2P services?

I also think the same. Clickair is a special case as clickair should be where Iberia is. And as I said above, I think is Air Nostrum situation at TC what may have triggered the new allocation.

IB plans for expansion are the real crap, as those intercontinental routes they promised some months back from BCN

We've heard exactly the same form the others. Spanair "plans" for BCN are based upon Star Alliance and Marsans airlines' plans. And I sorry but I haven't heard any anouncement from any of these. One the other side AA (read OW) has anounced daily JFK-BCN and AM is starting 2x weekly MEX-BCN

The same "compete" and "win" we can see on the SVQ-MAD run. No-one flies that service but IB. IB has the capacity to shrink on the MAD-BCN services (3 of them: regular, int'l conx and air shuttle). JK has also a decent offer for MAD-BCN runs, mixing shuttle service with pre-booked service on the same flight. But if the others shrank they would just disappear.

upperdeckfan

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting Bcngro (Thread starter):

It's a shame your wishes about OW getting la seu d'urgell didn't materialize  Sad

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 7):
an alliance willing to start new and longer routes from BCN (and that rules out OW, in my opinion).

checkmark 

Can then anyone explain why LCCs as Clickair and vueling are there, as they only offer P2P services?

No clue, I've been wondering the same in the case of VY operating from MAD T4's
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

bullpitt

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi all

Furthermore, IB and JK are on sale.... and the first might be bought by AF-KL...which will operate from terminal Norte. This whole decision will need to be reviewed on the coming months like it or not

I doubt very much AF-KL will purchase IB although as I have said before I prefer this to all the other options except the possibility of remaining independent.

Who did the Catalan Government expect to to to T-SUR just Vueling? they'll be lucky if they make to Christmas.  tombstone  I suppose once they bust they'll let Air Europa in.

Please make clear that this is your interested and biased opinion, not an independent statement

Of course is my opinion I wrote it.

Well I am IB will win the battle and the war, the thing is will the others including JK survive? By the way have you ever used the Puente Aéreo? If not, I suggest you do so. Not only will you have a pleasant experience but you'll have the chance to experience the best airport in Spain and a wonderfull city.  bigthumbsup 

BCNGRO
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting SKY1 (Reply 7):

You are right. We can't be 100% sure any airline is going to do so in the near future (not even 5% sure, if you want). But, we CAN be 100% that there is an airline which is not going to do so anytime soon. And that airline is IB.

bullpitt

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi all

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 17):
You are right. We can't be 100% sure any airline is going to do so in the near future (not even 5% sure, if you want). But, we CAN be 100% that there is an airline which is not going to do so anytime soon. And that airline is IB.

I can tell you one thing if IB doesn't you can forget about the rest. Like it or not IB is the Main company in Spain. But I doubt very much they will start more than two or three flights, In my opinion BCN will always be Spain's second or third airport and of no real importance in Europe.

trinxat

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 18):
In my opinion BCN will always be Spain's second or third airport and of no real importance in Europe.

rotfl 
I'd rather say it's going to be the 20th in importance (or maybe 21st?)

LMAO

bullpitt

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:45 am

Hi all

Quoting Trinxat (Reply 19):

Well if that makes you happy fine by me. But being the 20th airport in Europe is nothing to write home about.

BBADXB

Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting BBADXB (Reply 10):
Excuse my ignorance, but when is the Terminal-Sur @ BCN due to open?

Anyone? Please?  wink 

PaxBCN

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:27 pm

The opening is estimated for january 2009, but, a portion of the new platform will be open next month. This picture was taken a couple of moths ago.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1194/742220008_710ed9f57a_b.jpg

Summa767

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting PaxBCN (Reply 22):
The opening is estimated for january 2009, but, a portion of the new platform will be open next month. This picture was taken a couple of moths ago

Thanks for the info and the photo. It will look fantastic!
A great base for BCN's continued growth.

sandrozrh

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:39 pm

When i flew out of BCN a few weeks ago, it looked a lot more complete. A large part of the apron was paved if i remember correctly. We taxied around the whole terminal to get to the departure runway, and it really looked great, massive.

Looks like the Spaniards are good at building Terminals, MAD's T4 is an amazing terminal aswell  Smile

trinxat

Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 18):
In my opinion BCN will always be Spain's second or third airport and of no real importance in Europe.

Quoting Bullpitt (Reply 20):

Well if that makes you happy fine by me. But being the 20th airport in Europe is nothing to write home about.

No, no I mean 20th in Spain Big grin

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 24):
Looks like the Spaniards are good at building Terminals, MAD's T4 is an amazing terminal aswell

Yeah but if this is done by going beyond the budget by an extra 50% it's not really an achievement. It is nice looking, though

richardw

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Departed from BCN last night on U2, the new terminal is enormous IMHO, will BCN become an airbridge only airport?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos