Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Aserca & Santa Barbara To Finally Merge...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Hey guys,

As the title of the thread states, seems like these both private carriers in Venezuela are finally getting together.

After quite some time of speculation, seems like it will become something real in some short time.

Are any of you guys able to confirm whether this is real?

None of the airlines web-sites state any news regarding this important topic.

This is where I got the news from:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles.../consolidation-hits-venezuela.html

Quote:
Consolidation hits Venezuela
By David Knibb

Consolidation and shifting operations offshore are the latest tactics adopted by Venezuela's privately-owned airlines as a means of coping with government restrictions.

Aserca, Venezuela's second-largest carrier, is taking over Santa Barbara Airlines. Aserca has announced it is only entering a "commercial alliance" but senior officials admit that the carrier is in fact buying Santa Barbara from Spanish-Venezuelan businessman Francisco Gonzalez. He has decided to exit the business in a decision widely viewed as being the result of Venezuelan government policies.

Initially, Aserca and Santa Barbara will keep separate brands with Santa Barbara operating long-haul routes, mostly to Spain and Portugal, and Aserca concentrating on the domestic and Caribbean routes. Some fleet rationalisation is likely. The takeover is subject to government approval.

In a separate move, Nelson Ramiz, Aeropostal's owner and an outspoken critic of Venezuela's policies, has bought bankrupt US airline Falcon Air Express. He plans to rename it Ufly Airways and combine it with his wife's Miami-based travel company.

Ufly will lease Boeing MD-80s that Aeropostal sought but failed to lease due to Venezuela's foreign exchange controls. Ufly plans to operate flights to many of the destinations from which Aeropostal has recently withdrawn. By shifting operations offshore from Aeropostal to Ufly, Ramiz will avoid Venezuela's restrictions, but will miss out on some of the burgeoning outbound traffic from Venezuela.

Tickets sold in Venezuela for international travel have become cheaper because of the government's foreign exchange controls, but those same controls have simultaneously fuelled domestic inflation. As a result, it has become cheaper to travel overseas than it is to take domestic flights.

Operating conditions for Venezuela's privately-owned airlines have grown increasingly difficult due to this inflation coupled with restrictions on foreign spending, fare caps, and the government's apparent favouritism for state-owned Conviasa.

Any news would come great!

Thanks in advance!

Enrique (797)
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

MaverickM11

RE: Aserca & Santa Barbara To Finally Merge...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 pm

How are the airlines doing anyway?
I don't take responsibility at all

Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:13 pm

Both are doing pretty good. A merger between both of them would represent a tough competition for the other carriers in the country.

Also there are other rumours that are making this more unreliable, so if anyone's got some info it would be great!

cheers

tope98

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 pm

Well that would be interesting, but i hope this doesnt damage Santa Barbara´s image which is quite better than Aserca´s.

Lets wait to see what happens.

Saludos desde Bogotá.

tope98

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Well that would be interesting, but i hope this doesnt damage Santa Barbara´s image which is quite better than Aserca´s.

Lets wait to see what happens.

Saludos desde Bogotá.

cybergus

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Tope98 (Reply 3):

Yes that is what i'm affraid of. Hope not!. If they are smart they should reborn with a new image and a new concept leaving behind the R7 and S3 past. In the other side of the story we should see a new airline with a great hub (CCS) offering pretty good conections between the international and national flights.

I already have my fingers crossed for this merge.

Greetings

Tavo
LAN Excellence in Flight

jetdeltamsy

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting Tope98 (Reply 3):
i hope this doesnt damage Santa Barbara´s image

Isn't is SBA that nearly lost its certificate to fly to the US because of safety concerns?
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

LatinPlane

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:37 am

From what I've heard, the owners of Santa Barbara Airlines (the Yanez family) wants to get out of the airline business because they feel that the economic and political situation in Venezuela will only deteriorate making it unfeasible to do business in the country. Apparently, the airline's domestic network is operating at a loss due to extreme competition brought forth by its competitors including those favored by the Chavez government (e.g., Conviasa, Venezolana), nonetheless, its international system is quite profitable. The owners would prefer to merge the airline, but another option is to stop flying domestically all-together and concentrate on its international services. However, the airline requires solid financial backing to expand, but with the instability in the country the airline's management is finding it hard to secure funding. This is one of the reasons why the airline couldn't wet-lease a second 767 to expand its European network, and the airline has had to do with one 767 to fly its transatlantic network compromising of three destinations.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Maracucho85

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Hi all,

This merger AFAIK has long been discussed for quite a while now. In fact, in august when I was flying R7 to AUA, just before boarding the aircraft, I spoke with a crew member who mentioned me that R7 had already acquired 70% of S3 stocks and the deal was already done. I didn´t post this since I would've classified it as a rumor.

As the crew member said, this might be already signed, but no official info has gone out to the press. I guess we will be informed by the media when this is official.

On the other hand, I really hope this merger works well as the state-run companies take much of the domestic market with a so-so service (Last time I had a 2 1/2 hr delay to MAR in V0), but that shall be a discussion for another thread.

Best regards from Venezuela,

Alberto

Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Maracucho85 (Reply 8):
R7 had already acquired 70% of S3 stocks and the deal was already done.

This is all very odd...

Yesterday a person I know told me that a Chavista BOUGHT Aserca and he will be taking over in a matter of days...

This makes everything more understandable... what should we expect in case this is true!?

Cheers

md90fan

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:27 am

Is this deal going to give Venezuela somewhat of a reputable national carrier?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos