Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Scooter01
Topic Author

First Real Airplane-ride

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:11 pm

I had been thinking about it for a long time, but today I finally took my son Jonathan out to our local airfield to get a feel for what it is all about.
This "AIRPLANE THING" was probably something I have been keeping for myself all these years since I was lucky enough to grow up close (meaning a 10min. bicycle-ride) to an airport where I could enjoy seeing, hearing and smelling various planes doing their "stuff". (and it is hard to share it by talking about it, it needs to be "felt")

It was more than 40+ years ago that I sniveled and begged some pilots to give me a ride whenever I noticed somebody giving their plane a pre-flight check and I got lucky most of the times, usually followed by cleaning windshields or polishing their airplanes as a payment for the rides.

-Now I felt the time was right to let Jonathan find the difference between "sport" and "transport".
Today was the last day of his week-long fall holiday, mostly spent playing computer-games or watching TV, and for a city-boy it was always too much of an effort to get out and do anything.

Having a rare day off I said "Let's take a car-ride" and we ended up at Kjeller (ENKJ) , walked in to one of the local flying-club offices and I asked if anyone would take the kid up for a ride. After all, it was a nice day for flying with no clouds and no wind. One of the guys there seemed interested, asked if we wanted a "flightseeing" trip or something else. -Replying that if maybe a couple of stalls, a roll or two, maybe a loop or a spin could be accomplished, the guy gets up with a glimmer in his eyes, introduces himself as one of the instructors, shakes our hands and tells us it would take him about 1/2 hour to get ready.
Following him out to the hangar, we see a little white beauty, a French-made Mudry CAP 10B.

-I got the feeling that junior would get a better ride than any amusement park could offer...

After pre-flighting the plane, the instructor pulls out a parachute and fits it on Jonathan, explaining that it is standard equipment in an aerobatic plane, but the chances of having to use it are almost nil. After having the 'chute fitted, Jonathan walked a bit funny, -why are people wearing parachutes always doing that?

He helps junior strap on the belts, -a 6-point harness like I used when driving Formula Fords, gets his own 'chute on, straps himself in, starts the engine, closes the canopy and off they go for the engine run-up.

-There I was, standing left behind, seeing my first-born child sitting in a plane with a parachute strapped on his back.... and they taxi out on the runway and are gone.

In the 1/2 hour they are away I smoked 3 cigarettes while sitting on a rock close to the runway, finally I see a little speck growing larger, It's THEM !

After the plane had landed and taxied in, Jonathan gets out, gets the 'chute off and walks over to me...

-The grin on his face was priceless... driving home he could not stop talking about the spin, the roll and the loops they made, he even got to try the stick and and the pedals.

Before he went to bed tonite he said: "Thanks Dad"

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

MYT332

RE: First Real Airplane-ride

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:28 pm

How old is junior? He sounds about 5 years old the way you talk about him!

Did you pay this guy anything to take your son up? All sounds kind of strange, yet fun!
One Life, Live it.

Scooter01
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 1):
Did you pay this guy anything to take your son up?

The hour-rate is about 1200 NKr -about USD200+ and yes, of-course I gladly paid to give my 15 year old kid the thrill of his life!
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

CaptSkibi

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:04 am

Hey, I rented an airplane (and an instructor) on 3 May 2004 from Kjeller when I was in Norway on business, from Oslo Flyveklubb! I didn't go up in any acrobatic plane, though. I went up in a Diamond Star DA40 with the Thielert diesel! As someone who was still working towards my private pilot certificate, this was definitely a treat, as I hadn't flown a plane with a stick (versus a yoke), and it was certainly neat only having the single power lever for the engine!

The area was absolutely beautiful. It was also neat to be able to overfly the capital (Oslo) without even talking to ATC! This was long before I realized Europe had user-fees.

But back to the subject: this is a great story, and I'm so glad you finally introduced your son to aviation! Hopefully this will be the start of another aviation fan and a new interest that you two can share.
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

LASoctoberB6

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Scooter01 (Thread starter):
(and it is hard to share it by talking about it, it needs to be "felt")

i am so glad someone else here understands that...
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

EDICHC

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:18 am

I did something similar today for my wife. She has been really patient about me disappearing every (almost) Sunday morning for my flying lessons. Well today my aero-club had an open day, with discounted flights for guests. So I treated her for a sightseeing trip over the city. She loved the experience so much she was good-naturedly nagging me all the way home in the car to hurry up and get my PPL so she can go up again.

Glad you son had such a great experience, I still vividly remember the first time I took to the air - all of 31 years ago!
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos