LAXorLGWonDL
Topic Author

Taking Photos Of Aircraft At LAX

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:17 am

Hello Everyone,

I did a search and saw a few forums about taking pictures at airports, but did not see anything on this...

I flew LAX-ATL on DL today from Terminal 5. I was going to take a nice shot of a Virgin America aircraft parked at Terminal 6 when the TSA agent that sits at the steps for the bus terminal asked if I was looking for my gate...I said, "No, I just wanted to get a shot of the aircraft across they way." The agent's response was that since 9/11 people cannot take photos of airplanes. In the interest of not making the agent angry, I walked away...unfortunately without the photo. Of course, I chucked to myself as I considered the MANY photos I've taken at CDG, LGW, and ATL in the past week of aircraft, take offs and landings, etc.!  Wink

Does someone know of a rule that the TSA/LAX/or ?? has? This was the first time I have had this happen to me.

Thanks!  Smile
Next Up: STR, JFK, ATL, TPA, ANC

dacman

RE: Taking Photos Of Aircraft At LAX

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 am

Looks like you ran into a TSA agent that does not know thier job and or the regs.

There is no FAR saying you can not take photos of aircraft........that's per the FAA and TSA folks that I work with.

Michael
(Dacman)
LAX / LGB Local
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

Lexy

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 am

That's crap and I would've called them out for it. I would've asked for a stated, printed rule, stating that I cannot take pictures of aircraft. I would've then reminded them of my 1st Amendment Rights under the US Constitution and told them to take a hike. Now, the airport authority can take issue because it's on thier property, but TSA has no bearing on that as long as you are obeying their "posted" rules and you're not breaking any laws.

What a load of crap. This stuff just ticks me off to no extent. Worry about the firearms you guys let get through security, not the innocent person taking a picture of an airplane PARKED ON THE RAMP!

[Edited 2007-10-10 20:22:52]
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

LAXorLGWonDL
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Dacman (Reply 1):

Thanks Michael...good thing to know.  Wink

Quoting Lexy (Reply 2):

I completely agree!  Wink After 20k miles in 7 days, I do not think I was alert enough to be my normal, confrontational self...lol.  Smile I thought about asking for a written policy and telling the agent that, being military and in Afghanistan (in addition to my 1st Amendment rights), I probably had a better clue about terrorist threats...than their fat behind sitting on a stool at an LAX bus stop.  box 

ikramerica

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:28 am

You can totally take pictures at LAX.

Quoting LAXorLGWonDL (Thread starter):
TSA agent that sits at the steps for the bus terminal

Since when does TSA sit at the bus door/gate?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:47 am

There is no FAR saying you can not take photos of aircraft

Federal Aviation Rule?

Last year when I was passing throu LAX, I had several hours to kill so went to the top of one of the LAX parking buildings to spot. About 30 minutes later an LAX Police officer arrived in his patrol car and asked me what I was doing, and I said plane spotting, and after viewing my pictures, he was happy and he thanked me, he gave me his vehicle # incase another cop questioned me and said "have a good day" and left me to continue spotting.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

Silver1SWA

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:06 am

A couple years back, I was at LAX flying back to SJC after spending the day at the In n Out. I was taking pictures of a plane at the gate when an America West employee came up and said, "excuse me, are you taking pictures of planes?" When I said yes, she said "you cannot take pictures of airplanes". Then she asked if I was an employee (don't know why she even thought to ask). I said yes, showed her my WN badge and she immediately said, oh sorry sir. Go ahead.

[Edited 2007-10-10 22:07:05]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pilotboi

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):
Federal Aviation Rule?

To be technical, Federal Aviation Regulation. Big grin

If I were ever faced in this situation, I'd ask them to show me where there this rule is posted or even written in a book or something. There is no general law against it. And there can't possibly be an FAR about it because FARs are meant for pilots and people are are actually involved in aviation, not civilians and commerical passengers. If TSA ever told me to stop - I'd tell them to go get a REAL cop and try and get them to cite me or arrest me. That's just plain rediculous. It's enough that this terrorism bullshit has caused aviation enthusiasts to scale back, but to completly take it away from us - that's just pure un-American. We're going to start having rallys and protests if it gets any worse then it is.

LAXorLGWonDL
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 4):

In T5, there is a TSA Agent at the top of the stairs that passengers transferring to the American Eagle/Commuter terminal take to catch the bus to that terminal. I suppose they are there to make sure you have the appropriate boarding card to do so...

Lexy

Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Alright, it's a new day and this still ticks me off! LOL!!

I applaud you for keeping your cool cause lord knows I wouldn't have. Having been harrassed before for taking pictures at airports, I have plenty of pent up angst for people like that.  banghead 
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

EYKD

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting LAXorLGWonDL (Thread starter):
The agent's response was that since 9/11 people cannot take photos of airplanes

They'd better be doing their job much better before 9/11 so that 9/11 would be just another day in calendar.

socalfive

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:55 pm

Looks like you ran into a TSA agent that does not know thier job and or the regs.

I've yet to see one that does. They're mostly small-brained power-hungry people that had their lunch

Quoting EYKD (Reply 10):
They'd better be doing their job much better before 9/11 so that 9/11 would be just another day in calendar.

There was no TSA before 9/11

pilotboi

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 11):
There was no TSA before 9/11

Yeah - 9/11 is the reason we have TSA. hence why I stated that it's all this terrorism BS that has ruined our hobby.

Bluewave 707

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:15 pm

The times i've spottes @ In-N-Out, no one had ever stopped me. I chatted with a TSA agent on his lunch break, who sat at the table beside mine outside. There were also some LAXPD officers lunching as well, and no one asked me a thing.

The FAA has told me here @ HNL, they had no problem with it, nor is there any federal law against airliner photography at a US airport.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

ikramerica

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 13):
The times i've spottes @ In-N-Out, no one had ever stopped me. I chatted with a TSA agent on his lunch break, who sat at the table beside mine outside. There were also some LAXPD officers lunching as well, and no one asked me a thing.

The only place they have issues there is on the roof of the parking garage.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

FutureFO

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:50 pm

There are no regulations that state that photography is prohibited. Also most people document their travels with pics, videos, etc. So what makes them think they can say anything. I let people on my flights take pictures and video to their hearts content.
I Don't know where I am anymore

visityyj

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 14):
Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 13):

The only place they have issues there is on the roof of the parking garage.

Which is private property and they are entitled to ban entry except for the express purpose of parking your car (and not staying with it).

As to the TSA moron at LAX, I think it's all been said before many times. A fool with a badge is still a fool.

B747forever

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:19 pm

I haven't has any problem with taking photos in LAX. Never has the TSA said anything to me when I takes pics from TBIT.
Work Hard, Fly Right

flynlr

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:35 am

Terrorism Spotting Agency? TSA
The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos