Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sbworcs
Topic Author

Am I To Old To Be A FA

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:27 pm

I am really struggling in my current job (Admin) and have always wanted to be a Flight Attendant but never had the guts to go for it. I am now 34 and wonder - is it too late to start?

I am based (at present) within an hour of BHX / EMA so realise chances are limited there but would be willing to relocate if needed.

Any advice please?

Thanks  

Edited for Typo in title

[Edited 2007-10-11 06:31:39]
The best way forwards is upwards!

sstsomeday

RE: Am I Told To Be A FA

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:40 pm

About 24 years ago I was on People Express from Newark to LAX and I was speaking to a very nice Lady who had only recently started with the airline. Her kids were in college and she was starting a new career and looking to see the world. She was 40.

I would imagine that rules and expectations change drastically between airlines. If you were applying to an Asian airline where the flight attendant departments have not yet acknowledged the end of sexism and ageism, then you are out of luck.

However, I would imagine with all the A/C being bought and the growth expected in the Industry, there must be some airline that would be willing to look at you. The best time (again, I'm guessing) is in the Spring when many airlines hire casual employees to cover their summer season. I was offered a job by Air Canada many years ago, for that exact reason. That could be your "in." Once you are trained and they love you, then you could likely be asked to stay.

Be prepared to be stationed where they need you, to start off with, and likely not the base of your choosing...

(My two examples are factual, however my information is dated. I am not involved in the Industry today.)
I come in peace

fokkerf28

RE: Am I To Old To Be A FA

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Not by a long shot. We recently hired a few FA in there mid 50's, If it's your dream I say go for it!!!

bond007

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting Sbworcs (Thread starter):
I am now 34 and wonder - is it too late to start?

Only if you are trying for SQ ... oh, that's another thread  

Jimbo

[Edited 2007-10-11 06:51:55]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

iclcy

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:30 pm

BA recently took on a woman in her late 50's/early 60's as cabin crew.

Check out www.cabincrew.com lots of info advice on there plus jobs.

flytuitravel

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm

I know a 40 year-old who started as an F/A only a few months ago... So I'd say you're ok.
But it will depend on the airline really and what age group they take on.

flyby519

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:05 pm

At AE we have lots and lots of FAs who are just starting out and into their 40s-50s. We also have a great presence of FAs who have spent years with AA/TWA in the past and have come to AE. In other words, its never too late to start out. Good luck!

Ramp2CSA2FA2FO

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:24 pm

I got my friend on with TWA at the age of 63, it was a short career for him, but he loved it. The airlines seem to like the more mature FA's now. Give it a shot. Good Luck.

Happy Landings,

Jay

SpencerII

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:32 pm

I know several over 50's people who retired from other lines of work, and are now WN flight attendants, so
NO I don't think you're too old.

777STL

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Quoting Sbworcs (Thread starter):
I am really struggling in my current job (Admin) and have always wanted to be a Flight Attendant but never had the guts to go for it. I am now 34 and wonder - is it too late to start?

There are a few F/A's working for US airlines that are in their 80s. Going off of that, you could have 50 good working years left, if you so desired.
PHX based

tayaramecanici

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Easyjet have a policy of accepting applicants upto 55yrs, check out their website i am sure they will have a ongoing requirement. Also check on flymonarch.com they have openings for cabin crew at BHX.
''You are as good as your nearest competitor'' Bob Crandall.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos