B742
Topic Author

JAL To Introduce Premium Economy To Europe (Pics)

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:32 pm

JAL - Japan Airlines announced yesterday that it will introduce a Premium Economy product on its Tokyo Narita to London Heathrow, Paris CDG and Frankfurt routes.

The new Premium Economy product will be introduced on the 777-300ER to the three European cities.

Tokyo Narita - London Heathrow will be introduced from December 1st.

Tokyo Narita - Paris CDG/Frankfurt will be introduced from Spring 2008.

The airline will also introduce the product on other European routes (Amsterdam/Milan/Rome/Moscow) and US routes next year.

More information here:
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/premium_y/information.html

This is the second improvement to JAL cabins recently after the carrier announced a new Domestic First Class product: JAL Domestic First Class (pics) (by USADreamliner Sep 14 2007 in Civil Aviation)

---

Looks very nice in my opinion. Looks like Premium Economy seems to be fast growing in popularity by carriers/PAX.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Xiao min
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tony C. Y. Li

Rob!  wave 

EddieDude

RE: JAL To Introduce Premium Economy To Europe (Pics)

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting B742 (Thread starter):
The airline will also introduce the product on other European routes (Amsterdam/Milan/Rome/Moscow) and US routes next year.

Very interesting move by JL! I think that we will see more carriers adding this fourth class of service in the coming years, especially those with a substantial long-haul network.

I wonder whether JL's flights to Australia and NRT-YVR-MEX flights will eventually get premium economy too.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

LY777

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 pm

The seats really look great indeed!!
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

tonytifao

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:36 pm

Very Very nice  Smile Airlines in the US should start doing the same!

ikramerica

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:40 pm

Looks like 2-4-2 at 38" pitch?

It's interesting because it decreases the seat count even further on these routes compared to the 744, and squeezes even more discount Y/backpacking passengers off of the plane.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

max999

RE: JAL To Introduce Premium Economy To Europe (Pi

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:43 pm

It looks like it's the same seat as CX's new Y-class, which is a good choice. But JL has more leg room and passenger amenities considering they are marketing this as 'premium.'

[Edited 2007-10-11 10:48:35]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

ikramerica

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 5):
It looks like it's the same seat as CX's new Y-class, which is a good choice. But JL has more leg room and passenger amenities considering they are marketing this as 'premium.'

It seems to add a thigh support extension to the design.

I'll have to try it to believe it is really that comfortable. Basically it is a seat that "slouches" instead of "leaning" and I'm not sold that this is truly more comfortable, but personal space in front of your face may improve.

redflyer

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Looks nice, even if they did use a Lenovo "X series" notebook, Lenovo's smallest, in the one picture to make the seat-back table look bigger.  Smile
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

jimbo27L

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:15 pm

Interesting to see that JAL Prem economy customers are permitted access to the JAL lounge in NRT. I wonder if you will be able to use a OW lounge on the return from LHR? (Im not sure if JAL has a dedictated lounge at T3)

Does this mean BA WTP customers travelling NRT - LHR can use the JAL lounge now theyre OW??

I do like BA's product especially on my own dime, and lounge access would really cap it off, however I think it may dilute the exclusivity of BA lounge access, which I know is something BA likes to protect.

787kq

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 5):

Since the promo material says:

" Offering the ultimate in in-flight comfort, JAL Premium Economy will be located in its own exclusive cabin area and will feature the new JAL Sky Shell Seat, the world's first shell-shaped seat in premium economy class."

I don't think its the same seat, though there is some similarity. I like the legrest. Looks pretty comfortable to me.

RIX

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:36 pm

Looks like Premium Economy seems to be fast growing in popularity by carriers/PAX.

- together with flat beds in Business, yet another pioneering innovation by BA... The only airline that once flew with 5 classes  Smile!

OA260

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Jimbo27L (Reply 8):
Interesting to see that JAL Prem economy customers are permitted access to the JAL lounge in NRT. I wonder if you will be able to use a OW lounge on the return from LHR

Yes thats what i thought . Is JL the first airline to allow lounge access for PE??? I dont think BD/NZ/BA/VS allow it.

Nice seats and product.

ikramerica

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Looks very nice in my opinion. Looks like Premium Economy seems to be fast growing in popularity by carriers/PAX.

And eventually, F will disappear because of the growth of Y+ and full flat J products, and we will be right back where we started, with Y+ being the new old business class, with 40" pitch and 50 degree recline...  Wink

AA767400

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 3):
Airlines in the US should start doing the same!

You mean economy plus on UA? Or the shell type seat? But if you want to throw stones, why don't Brazilian airlines have it?  sarcastic 
"The low fares airline."

OA260

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 13):
You mean economy plus on UA?

Do UA Y+ offer all those amenities and lounge access?? Also is their seat as comfortable as JL's???? Do you get free champagne and snacks between meals ??? God Im Star Gold and flown UA Y+ on various times. I must and slept through all these perks LOL....

JKJ777

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:32 pm

what is 243,000 yen worth in american dollars???

trekster

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:38 pm

Really good offering from JL
Cant wait to try them one day.

Id like to see BA at least offer a desk or 2 for Prem Y for check in, to make it a little more sperate.

No to the lounge access though, maybe a smaller lounge, or discount on a paid lounge,but that would never happen.
Where does the time go???

NorthstarBoy

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting JKJ777 (Reply 15):
what is 243,000 yen worth in american dollars???

a little over 2000 dollars, i wonder if that's one way or round trip?
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

AA767400

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 14):
Do UA Y+ offer all those amenities and lounge access?? Also is their seat as comfortable as JL's???? Do you get free champagne and snacks between meals ??? God Im Star Gold and flown UA Y+ on various times. I must and slept through all these perks LOL....

LOL! Ok, I know all that lovely stuff but I was referring to Tony's comment on how American carriers don't have Premium economy when I can say the same for Brazilian airlines. I was not saying that UA's product is like JL's or QF/BA/NZ, or any other. So go look for another witch hunt please.
"The low fares airline."

OA260

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 18):
So go look for another witch hunt please.

I dont think he was throwing stones , he was making a valid point . I would love to see UA with such a product. Im a fan of UA and fly them alot. They are my airline of choice across the pond and when they get slagged off on here I stick up for them as I have never had a bad flight on UA . Im really looking forward to their new J class beds and while they are doing that they could have taken the oppertunity to revamp their PE product with different seats. Why not do what BMI are doing and user the old C class cradle seats for PE???

spacecadet

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 7):
Looks nice, even if they did use a Lenovo "X series" notebook, Lenovo's smallest, in the one picture to make the seat-back table look bigger.

I wouldn't be so cynical. Laptops that size are the most popular among Japanese consumers. They're just showing a typical setup.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Viscount724

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting 787KQ (Reply 9):
don't think its the same seat, though there is some similarity. I like the legrest. Looks pretty comfortable to me.

I don't find those short legrests very useful. They leave half your leg hanging over the end and put too much pressure on the upper leg that's supported by the legrest. But they can't make them any longer with a 38 inch pitch. More of a gimmick than anything. Looks good in photos but less so in actual use.

airtebiong

RE: JAL To Introduce Premium Economy To Europe (Pi

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting Jimbo27L (Reply 8):
Interesting to see that JAL Prem economy customers are permitted access to the JAL lounge in NRT. I wonder if you will be able to use a OW lounge on the return from LHR? (Im not sure if JAL has a dedictated lounge at T3)

JL do have a dedicated lounge at T3 (Sakura lounge)

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Yes thats what i thought . Is JL the first airline to allow lounge access for PE??? I dont think BD/NZ/BA/VS allow it.

NH allows PY pax to access the lounge in NRT and LHR (except for 1 fare type) since PY was introduced.
i believe that beauty is skin deep, and my skin is very deep!!

ikramerica

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 21):
I don't find those short legrests very useful.

I think there is also a footrest that comes out from under the seat in front. But I agree that all airlines think that calf support is not important. Even a lot of full extension legrests cause discomfort because they put pressure on the thighs and heels and leave a void at your calves, when a recliner puts more pressure on the calves and almost none on the feet...

albird87

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting RIX (Reply 10):
together with flat beds in Business, yet another pioneering innovation by BA... The only airline that once flew with 5 classes

Interesting?? What kind of classes were there when it was 5 class?? First, Club World, World Traveller Plus, World Traveller and Standing Room Only??
Never heard that before. More details on this anyone??

babybus

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:28 am

That seat looks really good, especially the fact that you can recline without disturbing the pax behind.

I doubt they'll be comfortable for sleeping but it's nice to have some room to breath in. Well done to JL.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

NG1Fan

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 6):
I'll have to try it to believe it is really that comfortable. Basically it is a seat that "slouches" instead of "leaning" and I'm not sold that this is truly more comfortable, but personal space in front of your face may improve.

I've flown on the CX shell-back Y seats, and let me tell you, they are no good for sleeping. THe seat slides down, the backrest 'reclines' but the headrest stays vertical. Slouching like that for eight hours is a killer on the neck.

No seat back in your dinner is a plus, as is the larger PTV screen.

I'll steer clear of this seat on CX. JL PE seat looks to be the same plus thigh rest and better pitch/width.

NG1Fan

cx777fan

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 1):
I wonder whether JL's flights to Australia and NRT-YVR-MEX flights will eventually get premium economy too

I don't know about MEX, but I doubt that Australian flights will see PE for quite some time yet. Both QF and JL seem to treat the route with a fair bit of disdain, with old equipment (e.g. QF 767 flights on several routes, 743 with old business class until fairly recent switch to A330) inconsistent service and somewhat variable schedules for anything other than NRT-SYD. Presumably the business just isn't there for the route to get more attention.

Back on topic, the JL product looks good, though depending on price, perhaps they're looking at very stiff competition with VS new(ish) PE product. Has that been rolled out on LHT-NRT yet?

787kq

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 21):
I don't find those short legrests very useful. They leave half your leg hanging over the end and put too much pressure on the upper leg that's supported by the legrest. But they can't make them any longer with a 38 inch pitch. More of a gimmick than anything. Looks good in photos but less so in actual use.

Mine is not an opinion based on use or empirical data. Does anyone have any feedback from the economy seats used on Singapore's A350-500's, which also have the short legrest?

https://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...=0486436&next_id=0483808&tbl=CABIN

RIX

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 24):
Interesting?? What kind of classes were there when it was 5 class??

try to guess, it would be boring if I answer immediately  Smile...