nycflyer
Topic Author

The Legend Of D.B. Cooper

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 pm

Have you all heard of D.B. Cooper? This is such an incredible story, so as a big aviation enthusiast (like everyone else on this site) I was all the more amazed when I heard it today, that I'd never heard it before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper/

In 1971, D.B. Cooper hijacks a NW 727 from PDX-SEA, collects $200K ransom in SEA, takes off again with the flight crew hostage, and then secretly parachutes down into the Cascade Mountains when the crew is hiding in the cockpit. And he's never heard from again. And there were even "sightings" of him for a while afterwards, and a guy who claimed he was Cooper on his death bed. Incredible. This has got to be one of the most intriguing unsolved capers in aviation history, reminds me a little of "Catch Me if You Can."

I read a reference to D.B. Cooper today in an article likening Steve Fossett to him, as a great unsolved mystery.

greggarious

RE: The Legend Of D.B. Cooper

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Sure he's a thief in the end, but what an uncommon thief!!! I ran across a group on Facebook called the D.B. Cooper Fan Club, and part of the club description sums it up nicely:

"n this age of punk bitch teenagers clumsily handling glocks to clear out fives and tens from convenience store registers, the romantic among us yearn for a time of real criminals -- those with imagination, daring, and class."

I have to say, D.B. Cooper fits the bill perfectly as the most ingenious of heist men. If he's still out there, he can keep the money so far as I'm concerned.

RussianJet

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 1):
Sure he's a thief in the end, but what an uncommon thief!!! I ran across a group on Facebook called the D.B. Cooper Fan Club, and part of the club description sums it up nicely:

"in this age of punk bitch teenagers clumsily handling glocks to clear out fives and tens from convenience store registers, the romantic among us yearn for a time of real criminals -- those with imagination, daring, and class."

I have to say, D.B. Cooper fits the bill perfectly as the most ingenious of heist men. If he's still out there, he can keep the money so far as I'm concerned.

I agree with your sentiments, but I don't really see the point of this thread. I've read about D.B. Cooper many times, not least in many different A.net forums.

Quoting NYCFlyer (Thread starter):
I read a reference to D.B. Cooper today in an article likening Steve Fossett to him, as a great unsolved mystery.

Strange one. The only similarity I see there is that we don't know where either of them are. Difference is, Mr Fossett hasn't been missing nearly as long, he didn't hijack a plane, and he didn't disappear with shed loads of money that didn't belong to him by parachuting out the back of an airliner. .
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

SkyexRamper

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 2):
The only similarity I see there is that we don't know where either of them are.

I bet they are both playing cards with elvis in a cave, outside Las Vegas, with big foot keeping an eye out for the law.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

seansasLCY

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:18 pm

There is some film called "without a paddle" or something similar where three students go in search of DB Cooper and they find the place and it turned out he burned all the money to keep himself alive as he was stuck in a cave.The moral was at the end of the day, he traded everything he did just for a few extra minutes of life. But who knows what happened!

richierich

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:08 pm

Strange one. The only similarity I see there is that we don't know where either of them are. Difference is, Mr Fossett hasn't been missing nearly as long, he didn't hijack a plane, and he didn't disappear with shed loads of money that didn't belong to him by parachuting out the back of an airliner. .

Strangely I found this quite amusing! You are right, how on earth are DBC and Fossett similar? I would have thought that drawing a parallel between Fossett and Amelia Earhart would have been more appropriate, but only because Fossett has not been found yet. However, unlike Earhart and Noonan, I have a suspicion Fossett will be found one day.
None shall pass!!!!

contrails

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting NYCFlyer (Thread starter):
Have you all heard of D.B. Cooper? This is such an incredible story, so as a big aviation enthusiast (like everyone else on this site) I was all the more amazed when I heard it today, that I'd never heard it before:

I have to remind myself on ocassion that I'm getting older (but not old). I hate to admit it, but it's true. I'm old enough - barely - to remember watching this story on NBC News. I found it incredible back then, and I still do.

Yes, it was an incredible event in aviation history. There are those who believe he died that evening; others who think he survived. Just my opinion, but I subscribe to the second theory. I think he's dead now, however.

As for a D.B. Cooper fan club, that's bizzare. For some reason many people are in awe of criminal activities. Why I don't know. I don't think any more of Cooper than I do the Son of Sam or the Red Light Bandit (Caryl Chessman, from the 50's. So I've been told.).

As for Steve Fossett, I doubt that he's alive. Some day a hiker will find his remains and maybe we'll understand what happened.
Flying Colors Forever!

nycflyer
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 pm

I don't really see the point of this thread

The point of the thread is that I had never heard of DB Cooper before, and I was wondering who else had, because it's such an incredible, one-of-a-kind story that doesn't seem to resonate in "modern pop culture." And I do see some similarity to the Fossett case (see below).

Quoting Richierich (Reply 5):
Strangely I found this quite amusing! You are right, how on earth are DBC and Fossett similar?

They are similar in that they both have disappeared without a trace in west coast aviation incidents, never to be heard of again. What inspired this thread was when I read this editorial, which references Fossett and Cooper together:

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20071007/OPINION/110070098/

EMBQA

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:55 pm

I'm stunned to hear you've never heard of DB Cooper just in general... and then to be an aviation fan is even more stunning. Shoot, after the event Boeing re-designed the 727 in a way that the aft stairs can not be lowered in flight and named the design after him. A large portion of the money was found several years back a long a river bank.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

IMissPiedmont

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:51 pm

I wonder how many of you know there was no such person as "D.B." Copper ? The D.B. ws an invention of news media, he bought his ticket with the name Dan Copper, no initial.  Cool
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

AMFAproud

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:10 pm

One of the more incredible facets of the stort is that years latter a young boy found a wad of rotten,mud soaked bills in a stream in the Washington Mts. They were able to trace the remains of the bills to the incident so NW sued the boy to recover "their" money.
The "D.B.Cooper" lock on the aft stairs was invented by a Northwest mechanic not Boeing.

EMBQA

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Imisspiedmont (Reply 9):
I wonder how many of you know there was no such person as "D.B." Copper ?

That's true... it's D.B. Cooper.

[Edited 2007-10-13 16:20:40]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos