COEWRNJ
Topic Author

Connecting QF To CO @LAX?

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:59 am

In January I will be flying BNE-LAX-EWR on QF and CO. My flight on QF arrives in LAX at 7am and my CO flight to EWR departs at 10:05am. Will 3 hours be enough to get from QF to CO with changing terminals and going through immigration?

Also am I going to have to lug my bags between terminals or will there be a place I can drop them off in my arriving terminal? Will it be TBIT or the AA terminal?

Last question, my friend as to fly back to HNL. Will she be able to make a TZ flight at 8:45?

All information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AirCop

RE: Connecting QF To CO @LAX?

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting COEWRNJ (Thread starter):
Will 3 hours be enough to get from QF to CO with changing terminals and going through immigration?

Yes, no problem, last time it took only 45 minutes from leaving my overseas flight in a remote stand to getting to my connecting terminal (T1).

Also am I going to have to lug my bags between terminals or will there be a place I can drop them off in my arriving terminal?

Yes, in fact a TSA agent will handle them for you.

Will it be TBIT or the AA terminal?

TBIT.

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:13 am

Using Wikipedia, not the most reliable, I know, but it looks like BNE flight would arrive at the TBIT. I searched for Connx times, and a few websites said International-Domestic you should leave 2-3 hours which it looks like you have done.

I would maybe call or e-mail QF/CO to check, and don't only take my advice, cause it is kinda late and might not be as accurate as it should be.

IM me with your experience in Australia, I might be headed there next summer
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

9V-SPJ

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:18 am

If I am not mistaken, QF from BNE arrives into TBIT. CO is in terminal 6 which is probably about 5-10 mins walking from TBIT. At 7 in the morning, there aren't too many arrivals into TBIT, so 3 hours should be enough. I haven't transitted through TBIT in some time, but I think, right after you claim your bags, there should be a place to drop them off.
For more information, visit: http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

9V-SPJ

777STL

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:22 am

10:05AM should be doable without delays.

I wouldn't count on making an 8:45AM flight though, no way.
PHX based

Siege2L

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:24 am

Your transit between QF ( TBIT ) and CO ( Terminal 6 ) will allow enough time for you to make your connection to EWR. You will depart on CO at a time of the day where pax traffic is slower at security, therefore you will arrive at your gate in no time at all. However, I caution your friend taking the TZ flight to HNL as she had better have a sense of urgency when leaving the QF aircraft as security at Terminal 3 is prone to slow security screening.

Side note: If you are fatigued from the long day, there is a convenient Starbucks ( known for cracked coffee beans that makes really shitty coffee ) airside at Terminal 6 to revive you for your flight to EWR.

Have a pleasant trip, do not stress, and remember, if you miss your flight, Continental Airlines has several daily flights to EWR for your convenience! They are very friendly and CO is one of the better options for your travel.  Smile
Flying higher than over your dreams...

COEWRNJ
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Quoting Siege2L (Reply 5):

Have a pleasant trip, do not stress, and remember, if you miss your flight, Continental Airlines has several daily flights to EWR for your convenience! They are very friendly and CO is one of the better options for your travel.

Exactly why CO is my airline of choice.

Quoting 9V-SPJ (Reply 3):
right after you claim your bags, there should be a place to drop them off.

Will QF be able to tag by bags all the way to EWR even though they are two separate itineraries? If not is there still a way to drop them off in TBIT? I will have 3 weeks worth of clothes and I'm not a light packer so it will be a pain in the neck to haul them between terminals.

9V-SPJ

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:17 pm

QF should be able to tag the bags all the way to EWR. I assume they have an interline agreement with CO. I was on two separate itineraries from FRA-ATL-LAX and my bags were tagged all the way to LAX, but this was all on Delta. I would call QF and ask them to be sure.
Plus, even if you have to lug your bag to terminal 6, its not too bad, you can get a cart from TBIT and go all the way to T6 with it.

9V-SPJ

jbernie

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 pm

Time allowed should be ok, if QF can tag the bags all the way through then you are one step ahead of the game. I have never been through T6 in LAX to know what the lines are like.

Leave the plane, head straight to Immigration, clear immigration, get bags, straight to customs, clear them, if bags are tagged for EWR drop them at the baggage transfer point just after customs. Exit the terminal and either walk to T6 but preferably get a free shuttle (blue stop?) that run continuously. You will need to check in at the CO counter and then clear security again.

LAX can be hit and miss on security screening lines, so it is better to push to get all this done and then relax for food or getting a newspaper etc than to delay yourself. The tricky part is you can fly through every step and then hit the go slow at security. and unfortunately you won't know how bad that is until you find the end of the line.

Unless you hit bad weather delays your 3 hours should be more than sufficent.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:02 pm

To add to what everyone correctly has posted, the CO T-6 security lines should not be very bad.
According to TSA's website average wait is 4-7mins during the 08-10am period.

As I dont know your specific travel day, I randomly picked a Thursday morning.
http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/search?a...ursday&time=10&submit=Submit+Query
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

onedude

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:12 pm

QF can tag the bags through for you - however if your total journey is not on the one ticket, you will need to tell the check in agent in BNE that EWR is your final destination, and they will then tag correctly.

I would not feel comfortable making the TZ flight at 0845 at all. You only need to be 15 minutes late into LAX, and get a remote stand, and there goes the connection. Someone can correct me if wrong, but usually nothing shows as a "legal" connection under 2 hours from TBIT to domestic at LAX?

Cheers,
onedude

COEWRNJ
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:42 am

So we've decided to change it and have decided to stay the night in LA so connecting on the return is not a problem.

When I go to SYD on Dec. 29 I leave EWR at 6:40am and get to LA at around 10ish. My flight to SYD is not until 10:30PM. Will CO check the bags all the way to SYD or will I have to claim them and check in with QF later in the day?

CALMSP

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:58 am

if your ticket shows SYD it will be tagged for SYD. However, with such a long layover, if you get a room, just have it tagged for LAX and you can bring it with you to the hotel.

jbernie

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting Onedude (Reply 10):
Someone can correct me if wrong, but usually nothing shows as a "legal" connection under 2 hours from TBIT to domestic at LAX?

Depends on how you are interpreting "legal". 3 of us did TBIT to T2 for an F9 flight and were checking in at 830am and through security before 9am. The secret? The gf's dad needed a wheel chair for all the long walks, front of the line every time. It can be done, but i gurantee you we were only that lucky because we absolutely did not need to go that fast. If we needed the 2 hour express transit there would have been bad wether or some other delay somewhere  Smile

COEWRNJ
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 pm

Well I'm not worried about the way back to EWR anymore as I will be spending a night in LA on the way home. I was wondering if I will be able to check my bags with CO @ EWR all the way to SYD. I have a 12 hour layover in LAX and they are on two separate itineraries. I'm going to be spending the day with friends before I head down there so I'd prefer not to have to claim my bags in LA and carry them around.

Halophila

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting COEWRNJ (Reply 6):
Will QF be able to tag by bags all the way to EWR even though they are two separate itineraries? If not is there still a way to drop them off in TBIT? I will have 3 weeks worth of clothes and I'm not a light packer so it will be a pain in the neck to haul them between terminals.

Not always. I've tried checking my bags from ZQN all the way through to LAX before, when travelling NZ from ZQN to AKL, and then AKL to LAX on QF. They wouldn't tag them all the way. This has happened to me also on SFO to SYD and a separate ticket SYD to CBR, all on QF; and HNL to MEL (JQ) and separate ticket MEL to CBR (QF). The latter flight they made a HUGE deal on check in at MEL for CBR because I had two bags (per the US allowance) and after much warning me about how there might not be room for my 'extra' bag and that I'd have to pay excess baggage, it came to A$22 = US$18 (at the time). There were only 25 people on the plane (734).
Flown on A36 310 319 320 321 332 333 343 388 350 707 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W 787 D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87 CRJ CR7 CR9 CR1000 120 135 145 175 190 146 F28 F50 F70 F100 Tristar

VHXLR8

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting COEWRNJ (Reply 14):
Well I'm not worried about the way back to EWR anymore as I will be spending a night in LA on the way home. I was wondering if I will be able to check my bags with CO @ EWR all the way to SYD. I have a 12 hour layover in LAX and they are on two separate itineraries. I'm going to be spending the day with friends before I head down there so I'd prefer not to have to claim my bags in LA and carry them around.

CO can check bags to final destinations on QF, even if it is different tickets (I did it from IAH to MEL, via LAX with CO and QF on separate tickets). The problem might be the length of time of your stopover. I'm pretty sure there is a limit to how long airports will 'hold' your bags, for security reasons etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos