ER757
Topic Author

787 Cold Weather Testing

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:06 pm

This was being discussed on the 787 delay thread but that one's getting a bit long and this topic probably deserves its own thread. Anyway, it seems that BRW may be an option as late as April. Boeing would really need to get at least one of the test frames up and flying in March (the eralier the better) and send it up there. For average temperatures in BRW see this link
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...monthly/graph/USAK0025?from=search

yfbflyer

RE: 787 Cold Weather Testing

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 pm

I humbly suggest YFB for cold weather testing.  cold 
Airbus was kind enough to bring their 380 for 2 consecutive years and even the 346 made an appearance here once.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...0202?from=month_bottomnav_business

BOSSAN

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:50 pm

How about the southern hemisphere's winter mid-year in 2008? McMurdo (NZIR) in August might work for the -30C cold soak.

jcded

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 pm

I don't think McMurdo has paved runway surface, just grooved ice, special landing gear required.
You breathe to do good and have fun.

captainx

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Cold weather testing will not happen until 2009.

CaptainX

swallow

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Apparently temperature in Iqaluit, Canada only reaches -30 degrees in January. So presumably, the cold soak trials will be done in early 2009 further delaying certification and deliveries.

Williams Field in Antartica may not be a suitable alternative given the fact that even Embraer do their cold weather trials in the northern hemisphere
The grass is greener where you water it

ER757
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting CaptainX (Reply 4):

What is your source for this declaration?

Quoting Swallow (Reply 5):
Apparently temperature in Iqaluit, Canada only reaches -30 degrees in January. So presumably, the cold soak trials will be done in early 2009 further delaying certification and deliveries.

So you are saying Iqaluit is the only place this can be done? And January is the only month?

Stitch

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:33 pm

It depends on what, exactly, needs to be done.

If all they have to prove is the plane can sit for a certain period of time in extremely cold temperatures and then fire-up and taxi away, they can do that in a properly-equipped hangar. Why they don't do that now is because it's significantly cheaper to just rent a tarmac in a very cold place.

If they also need to prove the plane can take-off, then they could probably still do it in a place that is as cold as possible, even if not the proper temperature, since they could still super-chill it in the hangar, fire it up, get everything to the proper "internal" temperatures and then push the doors open and she can directly high-speed taxi and depart. The plane is not going to heat up that quickly in the two or three minutes she's running to the runway and lifting off.

Worst case, they give her an amended operating cert which says she can only operate out of airports with a certain minimum temperature (whatever they can complete the test at). Then as soon as somewhere in the world with the facilities gets cold enough, Boeing runs a 787 down there, completes the test, and all the certs are amended to the new spec.

I just can't see the plane being denied a cert, period, regardless of the fervent beliefs of a few members here.

ikramerica

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 7):
So you are saying Iqaluit is the only place this can be done? And January is the only month?

Both answers are no. I don't know where people get this information from, nor do I understand why people say -30C when the test requires -25C. -25C is not even that cold as earth temps go. Alaska, Siberia, Mongolia, Canada, Norway and other places all have cities that reach that temp routinely. But it is still hard to find anywhere on earth with 24 hours straight of -25C temps from April-Nov.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Revelation

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:56 pm

According to http://worldaerodata.com/wad.cgi?id=AY06435&sch=NZWD at Williams Field you do get 10,000 feet of runway, but you had better have skis.

Boeing can get two things out of the way at once: ski landings, and cold weather testing!  Smile

I bet a 787-8F would be a pretty awesome thing to the Antarctic research community.

It seems the sea ice runway supports wheeled aircraft like C-17, but Boeing might have to worry about their airplane sinking!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

scrubbsywg

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 9):
Both answers are no. I don't know where people get this information from, nor do I understand why people say -30C when the test requires -25C. -25C is not even that cold as earth temps go. Alaska, Siberia, Mongolia, Canada, Norway and other places all have cities that reach that temp routinely. But it is still hard to find anywhere on earth with 24 hours straight of -25C temps from April-Nov.

There really isn't much of a difference between -25 and -30. its 5 degrees c.

sphealey

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:31 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 9):
-25C is not even that cold as earth temps go. Alaska, Siberia, Mongolia, Canada, Norway and other places all have cities that reach that temp routinely.

Which points out why the cold-soak testing is important. I won't say that 24 hours of -25 deg.C is common in Chicago, but it isn't uncommon either. And that's not even Minneapolis. These units could be sitting out in those temperatures overnight from their first few months in service.

sPh

roseflyer

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 8):
If all they have to prove is the plane can sit for a certain period of time in extremely cold temperatures and then fire-up and taxi away, they can do that in a properly-equipped hangar. Why they don't do that now is because it's significantly cheaper to just rent a tarmac in a very cold place.

I don't know of a single hangar that can get to -25C. There certainly isn't anything at any of Boeing's three airports in the Seattle area with that capability. That is an absolute ridiculous amount of energy to cool something so big to that temperature.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Stitch

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 13):
I don't know of a single hangar that can get to -25C.

Someone pointed to a USAF facility that can do it, including have the plane running her engines and such during the test, in the now-locked 787 Delay thread.

There certainly isn't anything at any of Boeing's three airports in the Seattle area with that capability.

You would not want to do it here in SEA, anyway, since I've never seen temps that cold, even with wind-chill, in the 25 years I have lived here.

That is an absolute ridiculous amount of energy to cool something so big to that temperature.

Which is no doubt why it is not normally done, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Better to blow a few million in electricity costs to perform the necessary tests for certification then blow a few billion waiting a year for the proper time of year.

sphealey

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 14):
You would not want to do it here in SEA, anyway, since I've never seen temps that cold, even with wind-chill, in the 25 years I have lived here.

Except that the US Air Force McKinley Climatic Laboratory is in Florida!

To be fair, it really doesn't matter since with the right mix of heavy and light insulation the overall operating costs are going to be about the same. And the designers would have had to consider +38 deg.C summers in Minot North Dakota anyway. But it did strike me as funny when I first read the article in Air & Space.

sPh

woodsboy

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 pm

Boeing did 777 cold weather testing here in Fairbanks, Alaska so maybe they will be back up for the 787. I remember the several weeks that the 777-200 in BA colors came and went, cold soaked, etc back during the flight testing. Of course with the first flight scheduling of the 787 now delayed it wont be cold enough here till the winter of 08/09 for any testing. I dont imagine it would be cold enough anywhere except maybe Iqualiat although maybe not even there by the time first flight takes place and they are ramped up for cold weather testing.

Even here in Fairbanks it isnt as cold as it use to be, you cant count on guaranteed -30C on certain dates, it could be 0C or warmer anytime in the winter. One good thing is that FAI is only 3h 30m flight from Seattle so if its cold they can get up here quick!

yfbflyer

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:11 pm

Quoting Swallow (Reply 5):
Apparently temperature in Iqaluit, Canada only reaches -30 degrees in January

It can vary during the winter. During the last round of testing the temp was going between -25 and -30 but just the week before they arrived the temperature was -42 if i remember properly.

swallow

Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 6):

Iqualit is where Airbus did her cold soak trials for the 380, and is an example of a place where the 787 go.

See her climatic chart on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iqaluit

The cold weather window for mean temperatures -24 to- 28 degreees is Jan-Mar
The grass is greener where you water it

ikramerica

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:07 pm

What about McMurdo Antarctica? It's cold enough in the Northern Summer (August/Sept), there's a "city" there, an American outpost, and they have a "permanent" wheeled aircraft ice runway that is usable 9 months out of the year. They can base operations and spares in New Zealand and fly in when the weather is right, with C130s for support.

Just a thought.

rampart

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 7):
Worst case, they give her an amended operating cert which says she can only operate out of airports with a certain minimum temperature (whatever they can complete the test at).

I thought that one of the reasons for the cold test was not for cold nights at cold airports - not a huge fraction of the world - but rather the fact that airplanes routinely cruise at temperatures below -25° almost anywhere. Or is that not that big a deal?

-Rampart

Stitch

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting Rampart (Reply 19):
I thought that one of the reasons for the cold test was not for cold nights at cold airports - not a huge fraction of the world - but rather the fact that airplanes routinely cruise at temperatures below -25° almost anywhere.

This test is specific for ground operations during very cold temperatures.

The "altitude cold tests" will be done during the regular flight testing regimen.

ikramerica

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Rampart (Reply 19):
I thought that one of the reasons for the cold test was not for cold nights at cold airports - not a huge fraction of the world - but rather the fact that airplanes routinely cruise at temperatures below -25° almost anywhere. Or is that not that big a deal?

As Stitch said, the temps often get much colder in flight.

This test is purely for a diversion situation. They don't want a plane to land in a cold diversion airport and not be able to leave, stranding pax in dangerous cold climates.

Thus, in theory, an amended type certificate would mean that no route could be planned that used any diversion airport that had sub zero F temps enroute. This would mean no polar routes until the 787 could complete cold testing. It would also mean, possibly, that the TATL routes would have to fly further south on some cold days during the winter of 2008. But frankly, considering what the first 20 or so planes will be used for for the first few months, this is not going to cause many problems for anyone, except maybe NW...

In addition, Boeing can do all the testing it wants inside a "cold shed" to the point they are satisfied they won't need to make any changes to the plane once the actual test is performed. That way, whenever they can actually do it, it will be more of a formality than an unknown. (IIRC, the A380 had leaky seals that needed to be redesigned, which they learned during the tests.)

But we are speculating. I don't know if there is such thing as an amended certificate for this situation.

And considering how difficult it's getting to even FIND an airport that can sustain these temps for any length of time (due to rising arctic temps), the whole test might be a bit pointless...  Wink

billreid

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 pm

Not to ask a stupid question or nothing. If it so hard to find a spot that maintains -25C why bother?

Is this advance planning for the sequel to "The Day After Tomorrow"?
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

flydreamliner

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Sphealey (Reply 11):
And that's not even Minneapolis. These units could be sitting out in those temperatures overnight from their first few months in service.

-13 F (-25C) is not really that uncommon out of MSP in winter, especially at night. Given that NW is getting 787s, I'm certain we'll have at least a few calling MSP home and more flying in for mx when need be.

It will be interesting to see where Boeing decides to go for the test. It would tickle me if they really did go to Antarctica.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

ikramerica

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting BillReid (Reply 22):
Not to ask a stupid question or nothing. If it so hard to find a spot that maintains -25C why bother?

I kind of agree. It's so uncommon that a plane makes a viable ocean landing hundreds of miles from shore, but we still make all overwater planes carry heavy life rafts just in case.

But a 777 did have an ETOPS emergency in northern Russia a while back, where it was stupid cold, and so it does happen. And if we want polar flights, we have to prepare for that.

ikramerica

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 23):
It will be interesting to see where Boeing decides to go for the test. It would tickle me if they really did go to Antarctica.

Think of the publicity they would get. Especially in New York, because it's the New York Air National Guard that flies support missions to McMurdo...

Alessandro

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Quoting Woodsboy (Reply 15):
Boeing did 777 cold weather testing here in Fairbanks, Alaska so maybe they will be back up for the 787. I remember the several weeks that the 777-200 in BA colors came and went, cold soaked, etc back during the flight testing. Of course with the first flight scheduling of the 787 now delayed it wont be cold enough here till the winter of 08/09 for any testing. I dont imagine it would be cold enough anywhere except maybe Iqualiat although maybe not even there by the time first flight takes place and they are ramped up for cold weather testing.

Even here in Fairbanks it isnt as cold as it use to be, you cant count on guaranteed -30C on certain dates, it could be 0C or warmer anytime in the winter. One good thing is that FAI is only 3h 30m flight from Seattle so if its cold they can get up here quick!

B777 got a cold soak in Kiruna Sweden, generally a colder place than Norway.
I vote for Russian Far East, Mr Roman Abramovitch has built a paved airport up in the Magadan region if I recall right?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

rampart

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 21):
As Stitch said, the temps often get much colder in flight.

This test is purely for a diversion situation. They don't want a plane to land in a cold diversion airport and not be able to leave, stranding pax in dangerous cold climates.

Quoting Stitch (Reply 20):
This test is specific for ground operations during very cold temperatures.

The "altitude cold tests" will be done during the regular flight testing regimen.

Thanks. I depart a more educated A.netter.

-Rampart

pnwtraveler

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:14 pm

I recall some of the cold weather testing being delayed because the weather was just not cold enough. Untill all the components are assembled and the aircraft is fully operational some of the tests can't be done fully. If global warming continues it may be necessary to do the testing is some giant freezer. I recall the doors of the 777 being frozen over and them testing opening them in some freezing facility.

ikramerica

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting Rampart (Reply 27):
Thanks. I depart a more educated A.netter.

Rereading what I wrote, it should say "generally" for diversion situations, as there will be certain times where scheduled ops for the plane might have sustained temps of -25C on the ground. That place is called Rochester, NY in January.  Wink

The difference being, though, that if it's a scheduled ops, there should be facilities and equipment to keep the plane warmer and protected and such. The cold soak test, if I'm not mistaken, must be undertaken without such mitigating measures.

You leave it over night, you try to start it up the next day, you check that it's airworthy, you leave...

Stitch

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 21):
Thus, in theory, an amended type certificate would mean that no route could be planned that used any diversion airport that had sub zero F temps enroute.

I would expect that the certificate would be good for whatever temp Boeing could get. So if they could get, say, -10°C, then they would be allowed to divert to airports with "normal" temps of up to -10°C.

And, considering that temps wouldn't be that low during the summer and fall months of 2008, such a restriction might not even impact initial 787 operations or routings. Since the high Arctic Circle will meet those temps before the lower, more inhabited latitudes, Boeing might very well be able to get the tests in early enough.

It's probably just me being the  optimist  again, but the more I think about it, the less of an issue I think it might very well become...  crossfingers 

Quoting Pnwtraveler (Reply 28):
I recall some of the cold weather testing being delayed because the weather was just not cold enough.

I know the APU was tested "up North" and completed her cold weather tests. Not sure about other sub-systems.

[Edited 2007-10-12 13:25:18]

brendows

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 26):
B777 got a cold soak in Kiruna Sweden, generally a colder place than Norway.

Not too strange, since it's inland, where the air is much dryer, and not heated by the Atlantic Ocean like it is out by the cost. You'd find pretty similar conditions in Bardufoss (ENDU) or if they could have done the tests in Kautokeino (there's only a gravel strip there.) They had temperatures below 40 degrees Celsius a couple of years ago in Kautokeino!

Revelation

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 18):
What about McMurdo Antarctica? It's cold enough in the Northern Summer (August/Sept), there's a "city" there, an American outpost, and they have a "permanent" wheeled aircraft ice runway that is usable 9 months out of the year. They can base operations and spares in New Zealand and fly in when the weather is right, with C130s for support.

You may find the information in reply 9 to be of interest.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ikramerica

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 32):
You may find the information in reply 9 to be of interest.

Uhm, you might want to do more research. You see, I like to do my research before I post stuff, especially before correcting somebody else.  duck 

Near McMurdo they generally have 3 runways set up there. One is closest to the "city" and requires skis. It is a "snow" runway, Williams Field. Then they have a landing strip set up where WHEELED aircraft can land, which is an ICE runway on sea ice, but if the ice gets thin (and it does), there is another airstrip even further away on thicker, shelf ice that is usable most of the year (they don't risk it in the warmest months, in case it cracks). On this airstrip, WHEELED aircraft can land.

In Northern Summer, all three airstrips are usable. I do not know the current length of the shelf ice strip, but I assume it could be lengthened if there is no other option available. I doubt there are too many NIMBY's to worry about  Wink , but there might be some ecological hurdles to jump over...

Does anyone know what kind of aircraft loading the test requires?

Stitch

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:55 am

The C-17 and C-130, while wheeled, are also designed to take off from "unimproved / rough" fields. I would hazard a guess that McMurdo's "ice runways" meet that criteria and it might not be feasible / practical for a 787 to land, park, and depart again from it.

[Edited 2007-10-12 17:55:49]

captainx

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:23 am

CaptainX

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 34):
The C-17 and C-130, while wheeled, are also designed to take off from "unimproved / rough" fields. I would hazard a guess that McMurdo's "ice runways" meet that criteria and it might not be feasible / practical for a 787 to land, park, and depart again from it.

The C-5 was also designed to operate fro unimproved fields, but it may be a little heavy for the ice strip at McMurdo. However, for about 30 years the fights to McMurdo were operated by C-141's.

To get back to the original question: Maybe due to Global Warming, Cold Weather Testing of the B787 will not be required!

mattcawby

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 25):
Think of the publicity they would get. Especially in New York, because it's the New York Air National Guard that flies support missions to McMurdo...

The 62nd AW at McChord is supporting the US Antarctic Program right now. If you have an HF radio:
9.032 MHz McMurdo Base
8.867 MHz Auckland Radio

Callsigns are ICE XX and they call McMurdo for weather conditions after departing Christchurch, New Zealand. In 2003 the aircraft were using satcom 261.75 MHz for comms with McMurdo and were audible on the US west coast.
paineairport.com

ContnlEliteCMH

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Pnwtraveler (Reply 28):
If global warming continues it may be necessary to do the testing is some giant freezer.

Are you serious?
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

BOSSAN

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:53 am

CaptainX

Quoting CaptainX (Reply 35):

CaptainX

What is your source?

speedygonzales

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:37 am

How about Yakutsk? According to Wikipedia the average lows and highs for November is -32,8 and -24,4 degrees. The airport has a 3400 m runway which should be plenty.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

NW7E7

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:16 pm

I imagine the 787 will be sent to FAI or even PAEI(Eielson AFB, AK). The 787 APU underwent coldweather testing in FAI and the C130 underwent coldweather testing in PAEI. Last winter it got down to -51 Farenheit in PAEI and we went for a couple of weeks not getting above -25 farenheit.

tdscanuck

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 6):
What is your source for this declaration?

Quoting CaptainX (Reply 35):

Quoting BOSSAN (Reply 39):
What is your source?

I see a pattern here.

Tom.

phishphan70

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 42):

lol! glad to see i'm not the only one that was a little curious about that....

Personally, i don't expect these tests to happen in the northern hemispher and will opt to do these tests durring the winter months in the southern hemisphear somewhere between may and august or something....unless there is a cold spell in alaska or somewhere closer they can scoot too quickly enough that is below 25-

phishphan70

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Phishphan70 (Reply 43):

Personally, i don't expect these tests to happen in the northern hemispher and will opt to do these tests durring the winter months in the southern hemisphear somewhere between may and august or something....unless there is a cold spell in alaska or somewhere closer they can scoot too quickly enough that is below 25-

please excuse the horrrrrrrrible spelling!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos