Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CMHSRQ
Topic Author

Skybus.com Showing Multiple Spring Changes

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:11 pm

I believe this is a test of the system, but you can click on several city pairs and see changes in flights. This is for March, flights increase to FL and several other short haul locations. The only why I found this to work was to select a date in Oct or Nov near the end of the month. Then switch the month to March so the website picks a day were the schedule hasn't been released yet. I found additional flights to GSO and PGD.

Also the Skybus PR dept. (Columbus Dispatch) published this.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content..._10-12-07_C10_FK85KKI.html?sid=101

Skybus Airlines might eliminate, at least temporarily, three of its five West Coast flights in the spring when it puts a new batch of tickets up for sale for March and beyond.

In the place of flights to San Diego, Bellingham, Wash., and one of the two daily routes to Burbank, Calif., it seems Skybus will add daily flights to its current destinations of Greensboro, N.C., and Punta Gorda, Fla.

The Columbus startup is selling tickets for travel through March 8. Tickets for travel after that date are expected to go on sale in the next week or so, although the airline hasn't set a date.

Skybus spokesman Bob Tenenbaum would not confirm the schedule changes, which apparently were unintentionally posted early on skybus.com yesterday afternoon. He said Skybus sometimes runs online "tests" of information that is not official, and he added that Skybus continues to evaluate its current destinations along with a number of new ones.

Sources, though, said that while the West Coast routes have had strong bookings, Skybus makes more money on shorter flights. Skybus also has to make do with a limited number of planes -- seven by year's end and nine by March.

In addition to 15 routes from Columbus, Skybus recently added flights between Portsmouth, N.H., and two Florida destinations starting in December, and it plans to add a second "focus city" with its own set of point-to-point destinations within the next few months.

Doug Abbey, a partner in the Washington-based airline consultancy the Velocity Group, said going to shorter flights is a mixed bag.

"The yields on a per-mile basis tend to be better on short-haul flights, but it also pulls down (aircraft) utilization," he said. "The great thing about long-haul flights across time zones is that you're maximizing utilization."

Abbey said he would expect Skybus to return to its West Coast routes.

The Dispatch Printing Co., publisher of The Dispatch, owns a minority stake in Skybus.
The voice of moderation

delta767

RE: Skybus.com Showing Multiple Spring Changes

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:00 pm

Looks like GSO gets a second daily CMH flight...plus Im sure the rumored additional destinations from the yet-to-be-announced focus city.

UN_B732

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:26 pm

When Skybus adds redeyes (with a bigger fleet), I see these flights coming back
What now?

itsnotfinals

Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:30 pm

Good to see SX actively managing yields and maximizing their business model. With only 7 aircraft and new focus cities coming online it's good to see they aren't overscheduling the fleet and leaving themselves open to service interuptions that can result.
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

luv2fly

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Is this not what IAir did, cut the long haul and then cut everything?
You can cut the irony with a knife

MaverickM11

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:14 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 3):
Good to see SX actively managing yields

I'm surprised there are yields to manage in the first place Silly
I don't take responsibility at all

itsnotfinals

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
Is this not what IAir did, cut the long haul and then cut everything?

no, way different business model. they cut the RJ flights since they were almost 4 times more expensive to operate than a A319. Also, Indy air started with like 7 flight s a day to every city they served in CRJ's , SX does 1 or 2.
((350 a day vers 156 to 312)

luv2fly

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 6):
no, way different business model.

No, IAir started eliminating all long haul and then using those planes on shorter routes, so yes they did cut the long haul.

itsnotfinals

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 7):
No, IAir started eliminating all long haul and then using those planes on shorter routes, so yes they did cut the long haul.

I am saying that Indy air was in trouble before they even started their long haul or even got their A319's. They were smart to do that, but it was too little too late.

You can't compare the 2 airlines, they had radically different business models and operating environments.

luv2fly

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:30 pm

We have no way of knowing what shape SX is really in. So logically thinking if your cutting routes already NOT a good sign!

flyinryan99

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 9):
We have no way of knowing what shape SX is really in. So logically thinking if your cutting routes already NOT a good sign!

Actually, I think it is a good sign - Skybus adapting. Think about it, they could run 2 or 3 more flights with that aircraft instead of 1 transcon round trip. More chances to increase the revenue. With jet fuel so high, I think it makes sense. Not to mention, in the spring most Ohioans want to head south, not west.

F9Animal

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:09 pm

My exact feelings and wonders Luv2fly. It certainly is not a good move if you "had good numbers" in the markets you were serving. It certainly would not be a good move in terms of faithful passengers.

I am certainly hopeful that Skybus is successful, but to be honest, I am not getting the warm and fuzzies.
I Am A Different Animal!!

MAH4546

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:17 pm

What happened to all those "but Bellingham is one of their best performing routes" talk?

I think it's smart to switch to more Florida flying, if that is what they are doing, but I wouldn't hold my breath on the West Coast markets returning.
a.

SANFan

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting Cmhsrq (Thread starter):
Sources, though, said that while the West Coast routes have had strong bookings, Skybus makes more money on shorter flights.

Anyone know how many posts there have been in the last 2 months about the BLI-CMH route being one of the best for SX, highest LF, etc., etc? So once deep winter is over, they are going to pull the route? (Meaning, I guess, they are counting on huge loads between BLI and CMH during January and February, then they pull the flight...)

And of course have they announced the Bahamas or Cancun service for the winter yet? Ummm, no. (Meaning, I guess, who would want to fly from CMH to those places in the dead of winter? Spring and summer will be much better...)

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 10):
Actually, I think it is a good sign - Skybus adapting.

Of course some here on the board might change that slightly to "- Skybus grasping frantically."

I continue to be amazed by Skybus.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the large number of "$10-dates" available in January and February on many of the routes, e.g., MCI-CMH, CMH-PSM. Correct me if I'm wrong but does that not indicate that not even 10 reservations -- and maybe none -- are being held on such flights/dates? (And if they are offering more than 10 $10 seats on those flights, well, that doesn't bode well either!) Perhaps I still just don't get it...

bb

jetlanta

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
I think it's smart to switch to more Florida flying, if that is what they are doing, but I wouldn't hold my breath on the West Coast markets returning.

Agreed. This is clearly going to be a leisure-focused airline over the long run. The sooner they adapt their network to that reality, the better likelihood of success they have. There are many undeveloped markets where the Skybus model would work well that no other LCC has yet touched.

I can think of at least one well-located Florida airport with a significant amount of unused infrastructure that all the LCC's have avoided due to its proximity to a major airport they all already serve. However, Skybus doesn't fly to any airport in this particular region yet. They could easily carve out a nice niche in this market, one that would have lots of growth potential. Their opportunity at this airport is exponentially greater than at Bellingham.

There is more than one opportunity like this out there. If they can find a few of them, they may just find their niche.

luv2fly

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 10):
With jet fuel so high, I think it makes sense. Not to mention, in the spring most Ohioans want to head south, not west.

That is true though lets be honest here and that market is pretty well served already from CMH is it not?

RSWA330

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:39 am

I'm wondering if SX has big plans for PGD. It seems everytime they make an announcement, PGD is always getting some new service. I'm assuming that PGD will now have 1 daily flight to PSM and 3 to CMH?

[email protected]

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting Jetlanta (Reply 14):
can think of at least one well-located Florida airport with a significant amount of unused infrastructure that all the LCC's have avoided due to its proximity to a major airport they all already serve.

I'll ask the dumb question: where's that? My defence is that I'm not American.  Wink My best guess is either SFB or PIE.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

jetlanta

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 17):

I'll ask the dumb question: where's that? My defence is that I'm not American. Wink My best guess is either SFB or PIE.

Nope. It's the Florida airport with the identity problem. Here's s hint. It's NOT in Australia.

BlueElephant

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 15):
That is true though lets be honest here and that market is pretty well served already from CMH is it not?

You're absolutely correct, CMH is very well served to FL, however look at the prices in comparision.

a Quick check on Expedia....A nonstop flight on DL to FLL is $178 one way... the same nonstop flight on Skybus for the same day (12/3...random) is $90

Half the cost...

How about the 23 of October.... $199 on DL and $70 on SX.....

and whats the different...a bag of peanuts and a drink...In fact..you might even get MORE legroom on SX seeing as DL is flying ERJ 145s.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 17):
I'll ask the dumb question: where's that? My defence is that I'm not American. My best guess is either SFB or PIE.

SFB and PIE both have infrastructure...but I'd add LAL to the list of possibilities....half way between TPA and MCO...Shorter flight...Higher yields...bingo.

[Edited 2007-10-13 06:49:32]

BlueElephant

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 16):
I'm wondering if SX has big plans for PGD. It seems everytime they make an announcement, PGD is always getting some new service. I'm assuming that PGD will now have 1 daily flight to PSM and 3 to CMH?

Well seeing as PGD didn't have any infrastructure to begin with...Skybus probably had to make some kind of deal with them in terms of amount of service..

I wouldn't be surprised to see them fly internationally out of PGD too...

jetlanta

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 19):

SFB and PIE both have infrastructure...but I'd add LAL to the list of possibilities....half way between TPA and MCO...Shorter flight...Higher yields...bingo.

The central east coast of Florida is has virtually no existing low-fare service. There is more than you can shake a stick at on the west coast. LAL would certainly serve both Orlando and Tampa Bay, but given the existing low fare service between the 4-5 airports in the region, I'm not sure it is the best opportunity. If you look on the east coast, however, there is an airport thats sits in the middle of over 100 miles of coastline and a population of about 1m. It is also 70 miles from the Disney front gate on a newly improved four-lane highway. And the only low fare service that competes is form the Orlando airports.

DeltaAVL

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting Cmhsrq (Thread starter):
I found additional flights to GSO and PGD.

Where'd you find this information? I don't see any changes on the map on the Skybus site.

[Edited 2007-10-13 09:07:19]

EXAAUADL

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:24 pm

Does Skybus have a spare A319? or do they have enough slack in the schedule to create a spare?

ttango

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:04 pm

Doug Abbey's comments in the article are so terribly wrong. What is in the water in the US that makes just about everyone not understand true LCC business models?

Short, dense routes are the secret sauce to any successful LCC (WN through the 90's. Gol, Air Asia, Ryan, EZ). It drives productivity of aircraft, labor, airport assets, etc. The trick is to find the short routes that are dense enough to justify 73/A32 service. If achieved, more seats for sale are created per plane/emp./etc., therefore can be sold for less than the competition and, if the route is dense enough, the seats are filled. In this way the revenue model marries the cost model.

Once the dense, short-haul routes are saturated an LCC is forced to stretch out its stage length to have meaningful growth (a la WN, etc.). WN broke out of its short-haul model not because it wants to or b/c it thinks its efficient...it did b/c of the combination of its saturation of short haul markets that would have an impct on its sizeable valuation and its self/market imposed growth objectives. Abbey's comments are simply ignorant.

MAH4546

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 13):
And of course have they announced the Bahamas or Cancun service for the winter yet? Ummm, no. (Meaning, I guess, who would want to fly from CMH to those places in the dead of winter? Spring and summer will be much better...)

Absolutely wrong. Travel to Nassau and Cancun peaks in the winter, especially in February. People go to Nassau and Cancun to escape the winter cold, not in the heat of summer where it's very hot and hurricane season. At this rate, I have my doubts Skybus will launch NAS, FPO, and CUN. They are having enough trouble with their route network as is, and international flights kill turn-around times, which are crucial for their tight fleet.
a.

SkyyMaster

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
What happened to all those "but Bellingham is one of their best performing routes" talk?

My thoughts as well. There was much hype about the great loads to BLI. It may be a seasonal adjustment, but we won't know for awhile. I also agree the international flights should be in the system and bookable now if they truly expect to get any decent business for the winter season. Once that peak time is over, they certainly won't be doing 75% LF's on those international destinations in the spring and summer. They need to decide what they want to be. A Columbus hub airline, a P2P airline, an international airline, or what? Emphasis on Florida will start getting toe attention of the competition, and when that happens, the competition has the resources to undercut SX and put them out of some markets.

deltairlines

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting Jetlanta (Reply 21):
The central east coast of Florida is has virtually no existing low-fare service. There is more than you can shake a stick at on the west coast. LAL would certainly serve both Orlando and Tampa Bay, but given the existing low fare service between the 4-5 airports in the region, I'm not sure it is the best opportunity. If you look on the east coast, however, there is an airport thats sits in the middle of over 100 miles of coastline and a population of about 1m. It is also 70 miles from the Disney front gate on a newly improved four-lane highway. And the only low fare service that competes is form the Orlando airports.

Haven't there been rumours circulating that JetBlue was looking at Melbourne?

billreid

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:08 am

Looks like the SX model is a disaster. The summer spill is over and they can't fill what they have.
I guess no new cities on the horizon, no SX-affect as suggest in other new threads.

SX is probably finding out that its summer successes were based on a premise they didn't count on. Excessive demand across the country resulting on spill. Now the spill is drying up they don't know where to fly.

All the capacity to tertiary airports in FLA will do very well for 90 days in the spring and after that they will have to scramble to shift capacity elsewhere which may be a sustainable.

But the real question is:
If they can't fill 7 birds what in heavens name do they do with 65?

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 20):
I wouldn't be surprised to see them fly internationally out of PGD too...

No FIS means No International...

BTW, has anyone else noticed the large number of "$10-dates" available in January and February on many of the routes, e.g., MCI-CMH, CMH-PSM. Correct me if I'm wrong but does that not indicate that not even 10 reservations -- and maybe none -- are being held on such flights/dates? (And if they are offering more than 10 $10 seats on those flights, well, that doesn't bode well either!) Perhaps I still just don't get it...

Great read. Yes $10 yeilds spells disaster. They need to be into the $150 buckets to compensate for the $10 fares. Fixed cost are still unavailable. Might be time to start planning for a goodbye party. They are dead within six months unless they change the model drastically.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

quagmire123

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:13 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 26):
My thoughts as well. There was much hype about the great loads to BLI. It may be a seasonal adjustment, but we won't know for awhile. I also agree the international flights should be in the system and bookable now if they truly expect to get any decent business for the winter season. Once that peak time is over, they certainly won't be doing 75% LF's on those international destinations in the spring and summer. They need to decide what they want to be. A Columbus hub airline, a P2P airline, an international airline, or what? Emphasis on Florida will start getting toe attention of the competition, and when that happens, the competition has the resources to undercut SX and put them out of some markets.

The loads to the west coast don't even matter....Even if the flights are full, the profit on west coast flights is minimal compared to say flights that are 2 hours or under....which is what SX is trying to shift to. West coast flights are pure marketing, that's all. I was watching a special on MSNBC on American Airlines and they were following a flight from the east coast to the west coast....when all was said and done I think the flight only made $100-200 profit. Not very much for how long you have to tie up the aircraft. Besides, if BLI is dropped it's for more reasons than just load factors. That airport has not been very accomodating lately to SX from what I hear, not to mention the poor relations the ground agents have with their company (not SX) in regards to them not getting paid.

SkyyMaster

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting Quagmire123 (Reply 29):
Besides, if BLI is dropped it's for more reasons than just load factors. That airport has not been very accomodating lately to SX from what I hear, not to mention the poor relations the ground agents have with their company (not SX) in regards to them not getting paid.

Thanks, I was not aware of this. Interesting info however.

itsnotfinals

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:14 pm

Quoting BillReid (Reply 28):
Looks like the SX model is a disaster. The summer spill is over and they can't fill what they have.
I guess no new cities on the horizon, no SX-affect as suggest in other new threads.

Let's get this straight, SX loads up some schedules for next March, the newspaper does an article that some adjustments may be coming, they have announced expanded PSM and more frequencies to PGM and they have to do this with 5 airplanes, 2 new focus cities coming online soon and they will only have 7 planes by the end of the year.

Are you sure you are not the self-deleting user "Poitin" , this is the same kind of wild speculation he used to make.

Quoting BillReid (Reply 28):
But the real question is:
If they can't fill 7 birds what in heavens name do they do with 65?

if you stop for a moment and think, it is because they only have 7 aircraft (at the end of the year) they need to pull some flights so they can support the PSM and PGM growth.

Besides, if BLI is dropped it's for more reasons than just load factors

as Clickhappy has been posting all summer too, SX has had several diversions to SEA when BLI was below minimums, this has caused a lot of irregular ops when it has occurred and is very costly for a small airline.

quagmire123

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 31):
as Clickhappy has been posting all summer too, SX has had several diversions to SEA when BLI was below minimums, this has caused a lot of irregular ops when it has occurred and is very costly for a small airline.

Yesterday it was to MWH....the arrival time into BLI is not good weather wise.....PSM also tends to wreak havoc in the spring/summer during the early morning flight.

DeltaAVL

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Any more information about GSO? Are the changes a new destination or new frequencies to CMH or both?

Thanks.

delta767

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:29 pm

One new frequency loaded for CMH plus additional destinations I believe. Up to 11 per day is what Ive heard from folks at the airport, but no other details.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Delta767 (Reply 34):
One new frequency loaded for CMH

Looks like the new Freq is:

Skybus Flt. 61

Dep. CMH 6:05 am
Arr. GSO 7:11 am

Skybus Flt. 62

Dep. GSO 7:36 am
Arr. CMH 8:42 am

eff. January 6, 2008

[Edited 2007-10-14 12:49:04]
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

DeltaAVL

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 35):
Looks like the new Freq is:

Skybus Flt. 61

Dep. CMH 6:05 am
Arr. GSO 7:11 am

Skybus Flt. 62

Dep. GSO 7:36 am
Arr. CMH 8:42 am

eff. January 6, 2008

Wow!

That's great news! Now I'll be able to make my connection to Boston both ways!  cloudnine 

phlwok

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 25):
Absolutely wrong. Travel to Nassau and Cancun peaks in the winter, especially in February. People go to Nassau and Cancun to escape the winter cold, not in the heat of summer where it's very hot and hurricane season. At this rate, I have my doubts Skybus will launch NAS, FPO, and CUN. They are having enough trouble with their route network as is, and international flights kill turn-around times, which are crucial for their tight fleet.

The only major island market in the general vicinity of North and Central America that I'm aware of that peaks in the North American summer is BDA. Bermuda, though in the Gulf Stream, is far enough north - due east of North Carolina - that residents don't really like to be lumped in with the Caribbean region. It's quite expensive, has less daylight in the winter compared to points south, and has decent business traffic as well. It's my favorite business travel destination, and it's a quick two hour or so flight from my home city (PHL) - there aren't many other places you can fly to from PHL within two hours where the weather and culture is so different, except maybe Quebec.

Pretty much everything else further south, with the possible exception of AUA as it's in more temperate trade winds and south of the primary hurricane zone, is very seasonal. I'm less familiar with the tourist seasons in Aruba however.

LAXintl

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

I dug up Skybus Burbank load factors, and they are not too impressive -- trending in the wrong direction.

May - 81.4%
Jun - 78.7% (added 2nd daily flight 6/12)
Jul - 76.1%
Aug - 73.5%
Sep - Not published yet.

I have also yet to see any form of advertising in the LA basin from Skybus. As other airlines have discovered the hardway, it takes a bit of advertising (and money) to get ones name out above the noise in the nations second largest media market.

In addition I suppose it does not help that the little free media they have gotten have been a few negative pieces including two poor write ups in the LA Times, one involving a cancelled flight at BUR and passengers finding themselves helpless in the terminal without assistance and means to contact Skybus as they do not even offer a reservations phone number. Funnily Southwest Airlines came to the rescue selling many of the passengers special discount one-way fares to get them to CMH.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MAH4546

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 16):

It's doubtful Skybus will be around long enough for "big plans" to materialize. It sucks for Punta Gorda officials. They are spending a lot of money and bending over backwards for an airline that is driving itself out of business. Can't blame anybody except Punta Gorda officials for that, though.
a.

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 am

I am quite confused. According to their website:

http://ask.skybus.com/about/where-we-fly.shtml

Skybus does not offer any connecting flights through Columbus. They agree that it is possible to create your own connection - but they don't recommmend it:

"Skybus does not offer any connecting flights (for example, from Los Angeles through Columbus to Boston). And we don’t offer flights between our destination cities (for example, between Los Angeles and San Francisco).

Please note: It’s possible to create your own multi-point Trip through our Columbus hub, but we don’t recommend it."

So how does a passenger get from Los Angeles (area) to Boston? If they book two seperate tickets, are they not creating their own multi-Point trip?

confused 

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 41):
yes, that is not a connecting flight, you are correct .

I'm still confused.

If Skybus doesn't want to you to do it (they say) - and they don't offer it (they say) - how do you get from Los Angeles to Boston?

mariner
aeternum nauta

itsnotfinals

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 42):
If Skybus doesn't want to you to do it (they say) - and they don't offer it (they say) - how do you get from Los Angeles to Boston?

buy 2 tickets, just like savvy travellers have done to save dollars on hidden city fares for many years.

Of course if you don't know what you are doing or have an irregular operation the benefit is nullified very quickly  Smile

[Edited 2007-10-14 22:50:43]

LAXintl

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:03 am

By discouraging online connections, Skybus by default is really only meant for people looking to get to/from CMH.

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 43):
buy 2 tickets,

What the point?
Airline does not want you, you have no guarantee of making the connection, missing the connection flight would cost you $40 in rebooking fees plus any fare difference as there is not such thing as "standing by" for the next flight, all the while two tickets could very well end up being costlier then a nonstop operated on Jetblue or others as Skybus only has the point-to-point fares and cant price out non CMH flights.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 43):
just like savvy travellers have done to save dollars on hidden city fares for many years.

I am a reasonably "savvy" traveller - I've been flying around the world for several decades - and I still don't understand.

You are say that I should buy one ticket from Los Angeles to Columbus and another ticket from Columbus to Boston.

But the website is saying I shouldn't do this.

Too hard. I shrug.

mariner
aeternum nauta

itsnotfinals

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 45):
You are say that I should buy one ticket from Los Angeles to Columbus and another ticket from Columbus to Boston.

yep, just Like people did for 25 years to DAL to avoid Wright restricitons.

quagmire123

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 am

I am a reasonably "savvy" traveller - I've been flying around the world for several decades - and I still don't understand.

Too hard. I shrug.

mariner

With only one focus city, the flights schedules are very tight....you either are rushing to get your bags and go back through security, or you're hanging out at CMH all day long. As more focus cities open soon, the number of possible connections/time frames you have to work with will increase. One thing travelers on SX frequently overlook is the option to buy trip insurance right through the web site....it's fairly cheap for the peace of mind you get.

mariner

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 46):
yep, just Like people did for 25 years to DAL to avoid Wright restricitons.

I fully understand that.

The difference is - or would appear to be - that the website is advising not to do this.

mariner
aeternum nauta

SANFan

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:10 am

Anyone know how many posts there have been in the last 2 months about the BLI-CMH route being one of the best for SX, highest LF, etc., etc? So once deep winter is over, they are going to pull the route? (Meaning, I guess, they are counting on huge loads between BLI and CMH during January and February, then they pull the flight...)

Of course some here on the board might change that slightly to "- Skybus grasping frantically."

I continue to be amazed by Skybus.

A couple of members responded to my Bahamas/Cancun remark...

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 25):
Absolutely wrong.

Quoting PHLwok (Reply 37):
The only major island market in the general vicinity of North and Central America that I'm aware of that peaks in the North American summer is BDA.

I guess I should have added a sarcasm smilie; sorry folks, I thought my comments were dripping with it throughout my post!  Smile

The loads to the west coast don't even matter....Even if the flights are full, the profit on west coast flights is minimal compared to say flights that are 2 hours or under....which is what SX is trying to shift to. West coast flights are pure marketing, that's all.

Well unless we consider the west coast to be full of very popular destinations and perhaps places that, as you may have noticed, almost every US domestic carrier flies to A LOT! When you fly from essentially 1 city, I think it would be very difficult (especially in the winter) to not offer California destinations at least...

In order for SX to concentrate on those short-haul, "high-profit" routes, I can just see them flying all winter long to places within 90 minutes of Columbus (and whatever other focus cities they may eventually settle on); they'd better plan on offering half the seats at $10 if they hope to have any passengers at all!

One final thought: once SX has cut their route map down to a few "profitable" regional, short-to-medium haul services centered in CMH and wherever else, and in the winter flying only to Florida (and maybe even Nassau and Mexico  Wink ), think of how easy it's gonna be for one or 2 carriers to swoop in and squash them like a bug...

bb

DeltaAVL

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 am

Too hard. I shrug.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 48):
I fully understand that.

The difference is - or would appear to be - that the website is advising not to do this.

Check this out:

Quote:
Please note: It’s possible to create your own multi-point Trip through our Columbus hub, but we don’t recommend it. Our flight schedules are very tight, and you may miss your connection. If you do create your own multi-point Trip, please keep the following in mind:

* You must move your baggage between flights. If you create your own multi-point Trip, you must collect your own baggage at each stop and re-check it yourself – Skybus does not move your bags automatically. For more information, see our Help Center section on baggage.
* Leave enough time between flights. If you book a multi-point Trip, we recommend that you allow at least two hours between your flights. This will help ensure that you have enough time to retrieve and re-check your bags, and be at your gate in time. All of our check in and gate deadlines still apply if you purchase multiple flights.

http://ask.skybus.com/about/where-we-fly.shtml

They don't recommend it, yet they tell you exactly how to do it. As long as you know what you're doing, you should be perfectly fine.  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos