sideflare75

RE: FL Plans MKE Expansion

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 49):
Also MKE-SEA non stop would do well since YX pulled it due to aircraft down for maintenance.

YX did not pull this flight, it is still operating. Flight 904.

JBo

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting Sideflare75 (Reply 50):

Indeed it is, making its way across right now: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MEP904

FL's expansion will be interesting, along with how YX responds once the TPG Merger goes through and the funding arrives to back new aircraft orders.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

MKENut

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:05 pm

MKE-SEA will not operate between Jan. 1st and Feb. 29th of 2008. It will start up on March 1st again. You can still fly YX to SEA from MKE but you will have to connect at MCI.

SkyexRamper

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:10 pm

So then that memo was that read to us last month was a fake, that said MKE-SEA will be pulled for 3 months while planes are rotated out for Mx? Wow, that is a new low....
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

FWAERJ

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 45):
I think the rental fees speak loudly when people around IND wonder why FL hasn't done more here. Given the price differences I wouldn't do more at IND either.

It's probably for those same reasons why FL is sniffing out FWA to complement IND. With the glitzy (but necessary) new terminal coming on line in a year, operating costs for using IND are surely only going to go up. I thought I read here once that WN might pull out of IND once the new terminal opens... could it be true?
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 53):

So then that memo was that read to us last month was a fake, that said MKE-SEA will be pulled for 3 months while planes are rotated out for Mx? Wow, that is a new low....

I'm not sure why you are so surly (though your contempt for MEH is obvious and, to be frank, a bit old... there are plenty of other jobs in Milwaukee I'm sure you could fill). The company told you they were pulling planes for m/x. They are pulling planes for m/x. Why does one month make such a huge difference?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

RJNUT

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 55):
I'm not sure why you are so surly (though your contempt for MEH is obvious and, to be frank, a bit old... there are plenty of other jobs in Milwaukee I'm sure you could fill). The company told you they were pulling planes for m/x. They are pulling planes for m/x. Why does one month make such a huge difference?

AMEN! brother!

SkyexRamper

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 55):

Ahh..because if the Mx is being done next year, then the being told the Mx would be done Oct-Dec 2007 is a bit off.

Indy

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 54):

It's probably for those same reasons why FL is sniffing out FWA to complement IND. With the glitzy (but necessary) new terminal coming on line in a year, operating costs for using IND are surely only going to go up. I thought I read here once that WN might pull out of IND once the new terminal opens... could it be true?

The lease will be higher but much of that will be offset by shorter taxi times and quicker turnaround times. I think WN is all talk when it comes to a threat like that.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 57):
Ahh..because if the Mx is being done next year, then the being told the Mx would be done Oct-Dec 2007 is a bit off.

But again, why does it matter (beyond your desire to grind this personal axe with MEH)?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mikesairways

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 pm

If someone would offer MKE-SJC that would me me very happy.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

SANFan

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 60):
If someone would offer MKE-SJC that would me me very happy.

And it is now my turn to replace the above-mentioned "SJC" with "SAN" and that says it for me!

I would think YX would be the better cx to fly SAN-MKE due to all the available connecting destinations but if FL is going to keep adding flights out of MKE, then they too might be able to fly some SAN-pax beyond MKE.

Bottom line: MKE is definitely a "service objective" for the SAN airport folks, and for me, and I don't think we really care who serves it, just as long as someone does. Heck, maybe both will start it and we'll end up with competition -- what a concept!  Wink

bb

N822ME

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:05 pm

There's MD-80s rotating through heavy check one after another right now. And pulling down MKE-SEA for two months at the start of the year makes sense as it's dead.

You sure do get some outrageous memos..... don't know where you are, but you're getting some memos the rest of Midwest Air Group doesn't see.

Tornado82

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 2):
Somewhat secondarily, I think YX has some cost exposure on midwest regional routes, e.g. MKE-STL, MKE-IND, etc. that are operated with RJ equipment. A few well-timed frequencies on low-cost 717s on these routes IMHO would be successful;

There's no way you could fill a few 717s with no connections on either end between something like MKE-IND. The route structures from MKE and IND will likely be very similar... so what would be the advantage to stopping the pax in one or the other? Otherwise, the O&D between those two cities could never support 2 airlines, with one flying mainliners.

Indy

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:54 am

FL seems to be carefully scheduling their IND flights to avoid the common use gates. There are only 3 instances in a day where they'd use the common use gates as far as I can tell. I lease a gate and share a gate with YX. Then they use a common use gate a few times a day. I'm thinking that IND is charging far too much for their gates and that has kept FL from leasing another gate and expanding their schedule. With this being the case there would be little or no connection opportunities here. A 10:30am arrival could get you an ATL, MCO and MSY (Saturday) connection. A 2:45pm arrival could get you LAS and RSW. There are a couple other arrivals slots for FL that they could use if they wanted but not many. They pretty much have their space used up without leasing another gate. And by arrival slot I mean a window of opportunity for using one of their gates.

sideflare75

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:02 am

I don't mean to gang up on you too but where do these memos come from? The MD-80 heavy check schedule is set a year in advance so whoever told you that is just making things up.

Quoting N822ME (Reply 62):
There's MD-80s rotating through heavy check one after another right now. And pulling down MKE-SEA for two months at the start of the year makes sense as it's dead.

This is correct. The last two for this year will be finished by Thanksgiving week. That is it until January when three will be done between the first week in January and the first week in March. Maybe that is the time frame they were talking about when they said Seattle was being pulled for maintenance.

SkyexRamper

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting N822ME (Reply 62):
You sure do get some outrageous memos..... don't know where you are, but you're getting some memos the rest of Midwest Air Group doesn't see.

Skyway ramp, I didn't read it myself, but was a supervisor read it during a staff meeting. Company memos aren't really posted anymore, they just read them to us and that is that. The only that gets posted are things that people are forgetting to do. How great is that, post only negative stuff.

[Edited 2007-10-31 20:14:44]

vivavegas

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:45 pm

Just a bit of a follow-up, the additional gates and move to "C" has been approved by the Milwaukee County Board.

-
THURSDAY, Nov. 1, 2007, 3:56 p.m.
By Journal Sentinel staff
County Board approves AirTran expansion

The Milwaukee County Board Thursday approved AirTran Airways' plan to relocate two gates and add two more gates at Mitchell International Airport to accommodate the airline's planned flight expansions in Milwaukee, on an 18-0 vote.

AirTran plans to pay an additional $72,000 a year in rent for the two extra gates, doubling its current rent charge.

Airport Director Barry Bateman has said AirTran plans to increase its number of daily flights from nine to 12 a day, beginning Dec. 20.
--

Craig
MKE/UES
Still looking for YX cookies at Sendiks...
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

mke717spotter

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting Vivavegas (Reply 67):
Airport Director Barry Bateman has said AirTran plans to increase its number of daily flights from nine to 12 a day, beginning Dec. 20.

I wouldn't be surprised that some, if not all of those new flights, are going to be coming from the slots FL acquired at LGA.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Indy

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 pm

AirTran plans to pay an additional $72,000 a year in rent for the two extra gates, doubling its current rent charge.

That rent is cheap. Were there only 2 gates available?

SkyexRamper

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 69):
Were there only 2 gates available?

AirTran doesn't really need more than 4 gates at MKE. But at least now we won't have to worry about the 717 and 737s trying to come barreling into E61 while we're pushing our planes out.

[Edited 2007-11-01 16:21:45]

Indy

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Are these two gates going to eventually be a relocation versus an addition? I know here they worked out a deal with YX and they share gate C1. But it appears to have been because the contract on C4 was lapsing so they aren't leasing 3 gates they are only leasing 2. Is FL going to keep 4 gates or are they going to let the leases lapse on the other two gates? But based on the price that was listed I'd keep all four.

MUWarriors
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 71):
Are these two gates going to eventually be a relocation versus an addition?

It's both, they are currently in E Concourse with 2 gates, they are moving to C and getting 4 gates. I don't think all the gates in the new hammerhead in C are filled yet, so theoretically they could expand more. I could be wrong about the gates though, I have not flown out of C since it's been completed.

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 70):
AirTran doesn't really need more than 4 gates at MKE. But at least now we won't have to worry about the 717 and 737s trying to come barreling into E61 while we're pushing our planes out.

Could be exciting for you guys when Skybus comes barreling in there trying to make their 20 minute turns out of those goofy gates though  Smile.

sideflare75

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 68):

I wouldn't be surprised that some, if not all of those new flights, are going to be coming from the slots FL acquired at LGA.

In one of the articles about the new slots they stated they would be starting them next year so that is not it. Dec 20th is when they start PHX I think so there is one. I don't remember what the other two are but I'll bet they are Florida somewhere.

knope2001

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:56 am

The three added flights 12/20 are:

MKE-PHX
MKE-TPA (start delayed from 11/7)
MKE-RSW

However, the new expanded schedule of 12x/day lasts exactly 19 days before winter cutbacks. As of 1/7 it goes back to 10x/day since the early-am trips MKE-ATL and MKE-BWI both are dropped. Also, until 2/19, it's actually 8x/day on Tuesday and Wednesday because MKE-TPA and MKE-RSW are cut back to fly 5x/week until 2/19. For the first time since AirTran came to MKE 5+ years ago, there is no early morning originator from MKE to the ATL hub. That means all winter long, the earliest AirTran flight to places like Fort Lauderdale, Raleigh, Sarasota, Miami, Tampa, etc, arrives late afternoon or early evening.

Currently the pulled MKE-ATL and MKE-BWI flights come back 4/8, but MKE-RSW ends 4/7.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that more flights will come for the spring/summer peak given their gate expansion.

mikesairways

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:39 am

MKE/UES
Still looking for YX cookies at Sendiks...

More supposedly coming saturday, I plan on going once I figure out where Franklin is.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

SkyexRamper

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 72):
Could be exciting for you guys when Skybus comes barreling in there trying to make their 20 minute turns out of those goofy gates though .

I hope they are given E60, the back corner on the NWA side. Though won't really effect our Ops if they are at E61, on our side, because their flight comes in from CMH at 4pm and leaves to CMH at 4:46pm. We have a few flights that push from D27-29 during that time, but it won't be anything to get in the way...at least for me. I can't speak for the other people who push our planes...  covereyes   highfive 

daus

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 75):
More supposedly coming saturday, I plan on going once I figure out where Franklin is.

The Franklin Sendiks got a new shipment yesterday. I have a box but haven't made them yet. The store is easy to find, just follow the line the planes take into the airport from the west. The new store is right on the flight path.  Smile

SkyexRamper

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting Mikesairways (Reply 75):

It is up on 53rd and Rawson.

Indy

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Sideflare75 (Reply 73):

I think it's a pretty safe bet that more flights will come for the spring/summer peak given their gate expansion.

I thought the same thing here in IND when FL had 4 gates at their disposal and did virtually nothing with the extra room. Then again IND nickel & dimes the airlines as well. When FL got those two gates for $78k were they charged for any additional space above and beyond that? If they aren't being charged extra for additional terminal space as well they'd be crazy not to exploit those four gates for everything they are worth.

Does anyone know when the lease on the first two gates expires?

daus

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:31 pm

I thought this was kind of funny given the insistence by FL that there stock was preferable to cash!  Smile

AirTran chairman sells the rest of his stock
The chairman of AirTran Holdings Inc (AAI.N: Quote, Profile, Research), parent of low-cost carrier AirTran Airways, revealed on Thursday that he has sold the rest of his shares in the company, according to a regulatory filing.

Joe Leonard, who stepped down from his chief executive role at the company last week and already revealed the sale of 130,000 shares this week, has sold his remaining 110,000 shares, according to a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Leonard, 64, sold the shares on Tuesday at prices ranging from $9.54 to $9.76, leaving him with zero shares, according to the filing.

The filing did not mention whether Leonard still held restricted stock or stock options from his chief executive tenure. According to a separate regulatory filing this week, Leonard had received a grant of restricted stock in October 2004. (Reporting by Emily Chasan; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)

MKENut

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Daus (Reply 80):
Joe Leonard, who stepped down from his chief executive role at the company last week and already revealed the sale of 130,000 shares this week, has sold his remaining 110,000 shares, according to a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Proof enough for me that he was blowing smoke.

daus

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting MKENut (Reply 81):
Proof enough for me that he was blowing smoke.

Given the timing (which is pretty odd, people are not usually this blatant in cashing out completely), it looks like Joe may have bucking for his own acquisition by the likes of NWA/TPG.

Buy Midwest, put some fear into NWA, get bought by NWA? But alas, Tim H. is now spending the stock premium he was covetous of.  Smile

Indy

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Was a reason given for him stepping down?

daus

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 83):
Was a reason given for him stepping down?

None was really given. He will be Chairman, so he's not going away competely. Very interesting timing, be wary of a situation of an outgoing CEO, who'se last day on the job delivers blowout quarterly numbers and then sells ALL his stock the next day.  Smile

CitrusCritter

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Daus (Reply 84):

Or it could have been that he sees where oil's going, so he cashed out. I'd cash out of any airline stocks I had too. B6 really took a beating today.

[Edited 2007-11-09 16:25:19]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos