Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Motorhussy
Topic Author

Chile Argentina Routes Question.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:17 am

Hola.

Are there any international routes between secondary cities to the hubs (from one country to the other), for example: COR to SCL or ANF to EZE.

Or are SCL and EZE the only international airports in their respective countries?

Gracias por su ayuda!
MH

Rivet42

RE: Chile Argentina Routes Question.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 am

... I've flown LAN Chile from SCL to the delightful city of MDZ a few years back. A quick look on www.amadeus.net shows that route to be still in operation.

Amadeus would be a good place to look for other possible routes...

Riv'

[Edited 2007-10-13 20:07:52]

Argentina

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:12 am

You have the following routes between a HUB and NON-HUB

SCL-MDZ: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-COR: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-COR-ROS: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-IQQ-SLA: LAN AIRLINES (Summer Season)
SCL-BRC: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-PMC-BRC: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-PUQ-USH: LAN AIRLINES

As you can see, only LAN offers this kind of flights.

AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS flies only EZE-SCL route in CHILE.

Motorhussy
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:21 am

Quoting Argentina (Reply 2):

Gracias. I could not see any reference to these on their route maps! Why no AR flights like this?

Regards
MH

RJ_Delta

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:54 pm

SCL-MDZ: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-COR: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-COR-ROS: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-IQQ-SLA: LAN AIRLINES (Summer Season)
SCL-BRC: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-PMC-BRC: LAN AIRLINES
SCL-PUQ-USH: LAN AIRLINES

Also LAN flies the following routes to

SCL-PMC-PMY (seasonal)
SCL-PMC-PUQ-MPN (Malvinas)
SCL-PMC-PUQ-USH

LAN offers good options to fly for the interior to Argentina to many destinations of the LAN and Oneworld network via SCL. Most of the LAN ' passenger from COR, ROS, and MDZ continues to North America, México and Europe via LAN.

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 3):
Gracias. I could not see any reference to these on their route maps! Why no AR flights like this?

A couple years ago, AR offers flight SCL-COR-GRU with a MD88. This flight connected at GRU with AR flight to MAD. Also Southern Winds offered flights on AEP-MDZ-SCL route with three daily flights, first with a CRJ200 switching then to a Boing 737-200. LAPA also flies to SCL from AEP vía MDZ and to PMC via BRC during a very short time with a Boeing 737-200 but the bad results of the route and the finnancial problems of the airline forced to cancel these services.

By the way, the Chilean carrier Sky Airline has approved to fly from SCL to COR via MDZ but it's probably that they never operate the route.

[Edited 2007-10-14 09:59:11]

PHKLM

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:30 pm

I could not see any reference to these on their route maps! Why no AR flights like this?

Why no AR flights like this?

LA is able to tap into large population centers in Argentina and enable these pax to connect in SCL. The alternative for the Argentineans is to fly domestically to AEP, take a taxi to EZE and then fly onwards. It is much more convenient to connect in SCL. This is why LAN offers these routes and AR does not. Besides, there are not a lot of population centers in Chile that cannot be served from SCL.

Motorhussy
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. By the sounds of things, EZE needs some domestic connex to work better as a hub for AR.

EddieDude

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 4):
Most of the LAN ' passenger from COR, ROS, and MDZ continues to North America, México and Europe via LAN.

A friend of mine has to travel constantly between MEX and MDZ and her routing of choice is via SCL with LA. Interesting that the majority of the passengers of these types of flights are connecting passengers... seems LA has found a very nice niche in Argentina.

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 6):
EZE needs some domestic connex to work better as a hub for AR.

I wonder if EZE has any domestic service at all. Definitely transferring from EZE to AEP or vice versa is not very convenient.

zvocio79

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Does Lan offer flights from Viña del Mar (Torquemada I think it is) to any Argentinian city during the sumer ????
I know there's massive Argentinian on Chilean beaches during the sumer because of the proximity.
How about Puerto Mont and Bariloche????

RJ_Delta

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Zvocio79 (Reply 8):
Does Lan offer flights from Viña del Mar (Torquemada I think it is) to any Argentinian city during the sumer ????

No. Because Viña is near to Santiago and there is good connections to Viña (good highways and bus services) all traffic flight operates from SCL. Also Torquemada (Viña del Mar' s airport) has not the facilities to attend the flights and offer a good service for the passenger.

Quoting Zvocio79 (Reply 8):
How about Puerto Mont and Bariloche????

LAN flies between Puerto Montt and Bariloche 2 times per week with an Airbus A318 and A319.

zvocio79

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 9):

LAN flies between Puerto Montt and Bariloche 2 times per week with an Airbus A318 and A319.

Do you work for LAN RJ ? you seem to have good knowledge or their ops...what's the status of their 340's are they gonna bring any new ones or get rid of the ones they have?

I like LAN a lot, specially now that I can go back to SCL non-stop since JFK  Smile

RJ_Delta

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Zvocio79 (Reply 10):
Do you work for LAN RJ ? you seem to have good knowledge or their ops...what's the status of their 340's are they gonna bring any new ones or get rid of the ones they have?

At this moment LAN have 5 A343 (CC-CQA, CC-CQC, CC-CQF, CC-CQE and CC-CQG ex Air Canada) but actually there are only 4 in service, because the CC-CQE is under maintenance according the program:

CC-CQC from Sep 28 to October 10.
CC-CQE from October 08 to October 31
CC-CQF from November 1st to November 24
CC-CQA from November 25 to December 12.

Only after December 12, LAN will operate again its five A343 offering daily flights to MAD-FRA and AKL -SYD and probably resume the A343 service to LAX (non stop flight).

During the next year LAN will receive another 3 A343 ex Air Canada to upgrade its longhaul fleet in a short term. The "new" LAN A343 will be:

msn 170 A340-313(X) ex C-FYLD
msn 273 A340-313(X) ex C-GDVW
msn 278 A340-313(X) ex C-GDVZ

Best Regards,

Motorhussy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 11):
During the next year LAN will receive another 3 A343 ex Air Canada to upgrade its longhaul fleet in a short term.

Hola RJ_Delta

Do you know what cabin configuration the new A343's will have? The same as the existing fleet or like the upgraded 763 fleet?

Regards
MH

RJ_Delta

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 12):
Do you know what cabin configuration the new A343's will have? The same as the existing fleet or like the upgraded 763 fleet?

By the end of the 2008 A343 will have the same cabin configuration of the B763, with the new Premium Business and new Economy. Actually the CC-CQA has received new seats for Economy class, but still the old Business and First Class seat and the new one (CC-CQG) hasn't PTV in Economy Class.

Regards,

IberiaA319

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 13):
the new one (CC-CQG) hasn't PTV in Economy Class

CC-CQG has been on the SCL-AKL-SYD flights and on the SCL-MAD-FRA route. Those are long flights without PTVs in Economy, the frequent travellers might be surprised about this.

pzurita1

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting RJ_Delta (Reply 4):
SCL-PMC-PUQ-MPN (Malvinas)

No offense to my Argentinian friends, but, why a flight from Santiago to Mount Pleasant, Malvinas is considered as a Chile-Argentina route?

SCL-PMC-PMY...
What is PMY????

RJ_Delta

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 pm

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 15):
SCL-PMC-PMY...
What is PMY????

PMY= Puerto Madryn

PHKLM

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 15):
No offense to my Argentinian friends, but, why a flight from Santiago to Mount Pleasant, Malvinas is considered as a Chile-Argentina route?

Is isn't. Well, it shouldn't. The only way to reach MPN is with LAN via Chile or with the RAF via London / Ascuncion.
But in South America it is very common to depict the Falklands / Malvinas as Argentinean territory (along with a large chunk of Antarctica). So, I think in Chile and Argentina those flights are considered Chile - Argentina flights. If you are told often enough the Malvinas are Argentinean, you start believing it one day.

No offense intended at all for our Argentinean friends!

TBCITDG

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:32 pm

LA has been very smart to tap into the Argentine marjket and offer better connections via SCL rather than have to transit via AEP/EZE. If I am not mistaken AR offers direct services from Ushuaia to EZE and at times there where also flights to and from COR.
How different things would be for AR if all operations where moved to EZE!

SJOtoLIR

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 18):
AR offers direct services from Ushuaia to EZE

AR 1892 EZE-FTE-USH-EZE. Daily with 735.
FTE = El Calafate.

Motorhussy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting PHKLM (Reply 17):
If you are told often enough the Malvinas are Argentinean, you start believing it one day.

What do the people of Las Malvinas / The Falklands consider their islands to be part of I wonder? Perhaps that's the most important belief.

Regards
MH

zvocio79

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting PHKLM (Reply 17):
But in South America it is very common to depict the Falklands / Malvinas as Argentinean territory

you are mistaken, every one South America knows that those are British island, and they rub it on their faces (argentinians) when ever they can, but that's for another forum.
May be they called a Chile-Argentina flight because of the proximity, perhaps the flight stops in Ushuaia before it goes to Mount Pleasant..........perhaps RJ can answer that question...

Motorhussy
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting Zvocio79 (Reply 21):
and they rub it on their faces (argentinians) when ever they can

I don't understand. Who do you say rubs their faces in it (or on it)? Falklanders or The British?

OO-VEG

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:58 am

Not to forget, Argentina has a lot more big cities then Chile has. AFG is after SCL the biggest city and it has only about 300.000 inhabitants, so the catchment area for flights to Argentina would not be that interesting as with big cities like COR en MDZ.

RJ_Delta

Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting OO-VEG (Reply 23):
AFG is after SCL the biggest city and it has only about 300.000 inhabitants, so the catchment area for flights to Argentina would not be that interesting as with big cities like COR en MDZ.

I try to understand that AFG is Antofagasta or ANF (IATA code)?

Well the 3rd city in Chile is Concepción after Santiago and Valparaíso. In relation with air traffic IQQ has the second place in terms of airport traffic (pax and cargo).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos