Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RedTailDTW
Topic Author

AA Customer Service...

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:30 am

I know we have heard so much about how American's customer service has taken a dive but after taking four flights with them this week (TUS-ORD-DTW-DFW-TUS), Im very impressed. The flight attandants were very professional and really cared about their passengers. One of them even gave out little goodie bags to the kids on the plane which ive never seen. All my flights went out ontime and we even left 15 minutes early on one of them. The ground crew was friendly and everything went smoothly. I just want to thank the employee's at AA for making my trip nice and enjoyable!

Mason (RedTailDTW)  Smile
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, AS, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170/175, MD80/83/90

SPREE34

RE: AA Customer Service...

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting RedTailDTW (Thread starter):
and we even left 15 minutes early on one of them

I think there's a rule against that. Anyone?
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

RedTailDTW
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 1):

When I checked the flight status after the flight it said that the flight was scheduled to leave at 7:35pm but the plane left the gate at 7:23pm. Maybe everyone was there during the boarding process so they didn't have to wait for the late commers.

Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, AS, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170/175, MD80/83/90

Transpac787

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:47 am

As far as I know, there is no rule against it, just policy of each airline. At the airline I work for, we're supposed to push no earlier than 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure....but, like I said, there is no rule against going earlier. If all pax, bags, and cargo for the flight are on board, why sit at the gate burning the APU??

commavia

Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:49 am

I think there's a rule against that.

No.

Airlines can leave whenever they want. If everyone booked on the flight is present, the crew and aircraft are ready, etc., the plane can go early. I myself have been on many flights over the years - usually early morning (sub-7am) departures with light loads - that have left the gate 10-15 minutes early when all the passenger are accommodated.

andyinpit

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 4):

Actually, there are quite a few airlines that, if they are in fact ready to go outside of 10 prior, must call their company dispatch to get permission. I can't think of any legacy carries that have to go through this, but I know regionals (and AC Jazz, who have to call dispatch outside of 5 minutes prior), call.

But nice to see AA is finally (hopefully) turning around their CS...now if we can only get a handle on Eagle.......

D328

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:32 am

Working the ramp for US Express at PIT we only could do 5 minutes before departure time. If I remember correctly.

flymia

Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:35 am

I fly AA almost on a monthly basis and I have never had a problem with them. Great airline.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:58 am

Technically, AA flights shall not depart the gate earlier than 5 minutes prior to departure time. The reason being, is that upon early arrival, the gate might not be available etc., which will result in more fuel burned, hence wasted money. Now, there is no harsh enforcement of this rule, it's at each stations management's and gate agents discretion to follow it or not.

I just want to thank the employee's at AA for making my trip nice and enjoyable!

Thanks for the nice words, its our pleasure  wink 

NWAESC

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting AndyINPIT (Reply 5):
but I know regionals (and AC Jazz, who have to call dispatch outside of 5 minutes prior), call.

Pinnacle has a rule that they will not even pop the brakes outside of 5 minutes prior to departure....
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

aajfksjubklyn

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting 44k (Reply 8):
Technically, AA flights shall not depart the gate earlier than 5 minutes prior to departure time. The reason being, is that upon early arrival, the gate might not be available etc., which will result in more fuel burned, hence wasted money. Now, there is no harsh enforcement of this rule, it's at each stations management's and gate agents discretion to follow it or not.

My FA partner said the rule was recently changed as was updated in his FAR. On am flights I have left as much as 15 minutes early recently.

HPAEAA

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Reply 10):
Quoting 44k (Reply 8):

My FA partner said the rule was recently changed as was updated in his FAR. On am flights I have left as much as 15 minutes early recently.

granted I left almost 2 years ago, but the policy always was any departure more that 10 minutes before schedule was subject to the arrival stations approval... sooo it was just a simple message to dispatch (who could get ahold of ORD), and usually it was approved..
1.4mm and counting...

AIR757200

Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:57 pm

RedTailDTW,

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience on AA!

MGASJO

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 11):
granted I left almost 2 years ago, but the policy always was any departure more that 10 minutes before schedule was subject to the arrival stations approval... sooo it was just a simple message to dispatch (who could get ahold of ORD), and usually it was approved..

10 minutes is still ok, we can have brakes released w/o any further explanation. Also if the flight plan shows the flight arriving 10 or more minutes even if departing on time (route including wx deviations or strong headwinds) we can close the door if all pax and cargo is on board; we've done here in MGA departing even 20 minutes earlier when WX is not so good over the caribbean and flight has to go over Cozumel and such instead of flying more direct (over Cuba)

BTW, good to know you had a nice experiencce with AA!

[Edited 2007-10-15 10:12:54]
C208B

qqflyboy

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:19 pm

I just want to thank the employee's at AA for making my trip nice and enjoyable!

And we thank you for thanking us. It's very much appreciated.

The sad thing is all things aviation on this forum are exaggerated greatly to one extreme or another. There are bound to be problems from time to time and airlines may not always handle them the way they should. But by and large the airlines come through on their commitment to get people from A to B on-time. There is always room for improvement and improvement should always be the goal.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

SPREE34

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks. I guess that one went out with the CAB.

It never made sense to me, if the plane was full, to have to sit and wait.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

luv2cattlecall

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Nwaesc (Reply 9):
Pinnacle has a rule that they will not even pop the brakes outside of 5 minutes prior to departure....

Ok,,,then just get a TLT (towbarless tractor) for each tire...annnd you're done!

DTWAGENT

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:53 pm

My flight DTW/MSP on NWA last Wed Morning was a very light load and we pushed early and got into MSP 30 mins early. That was a first for me. My return flight the same day at 9:00pm was a very light load and we did not leave the gate until 20 min after departure time. But, I can see way with the runway/taxi underconstruction.

longhauler

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting AndyINPIT (Reply 5):
if they are in fact ready to go outside of 10 prior, must call their company dispatch to get permission

AC has the same rule, and its not to get "permission", its to keep dispatch advised, as they perform the "flight watch" function. In other words, we don't ask if we can leave earlier than 10 minutes, we tell them we are leaving earlier than 10 minutes.

It makes sense, if you have a flight planned time 20 minutes longer than sched ... do the passengers a favour!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

AirframeAS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:37 am

NW has that strict rule, does it not??
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

sw733

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting 44k (Reply 8):
Technically, AA flights shall not depart the gate earlier than 5 minutes prior to departure time. The reason being, is that upon early arrival, the gate might not be available etc., which will result in more fuel burned

What if they were going to an airport where there weren't many flights, so they knew the gate would be open? Say someplace small like CID, or PMD for example.

longhauler

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Back to the original post ... I recently flew First on an AA B737 from YYZ to LAX. (our B767 was full)

The early morning departure left 6 minutes early, the aircraft was spotless, and the crew professional and very friendly. All in all, better than what I have read here on domestic flights.

On the negative side, the actual First Class product was mediocre at best. I had no idea the First product had deteriorated so much on US carriers! Staying away from the eggs, I was given a bowl of fruit and a bagel. I didn't think it was possible, but it made AC's J product look good by comparison! But .. I was given all the coffee I could drink in 5 hours, and that IS considerable!

However, I do agree with the OP, I left the flight with a positive feeling of AA.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

NWAESC

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 19):
NW has that strict rule, does it not??

If they do, it gets broken a lot.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

tommy767

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting LongHauler (Reply 21):
Staying away from the eggs, I was given a bowl of fruit and a bagel. I didn't think it was possible, but it made AC's J product look good by comparison! But .. I was given all the coffee I could drink in 5 hours, and that IS considerable!

This sounds like the exact same meal they served on my MCO-LGA flight in August on a 757. I thought the meal was dissapointing but the F/A's were great.

On the way down the lunch service was much better. We were given two hot cookies for dessert.

But if I had to sum it up with probably the exception of dinner in F, most of the AA first class product on domestic runs is probably comparable to a premium economy product. Breakfast and Lunch are served in smaller portions, but at least it's something and with real utencils. With these upgrades the past year and the service being better up in F, it has been my dividing line that made me want to stay with AA instead of switching to another airline. I can't imagine that the service on UA, NW, DL, or US in F is much better (transcon services could vary.) The only airline that seems to serve some REAL gourmet food up in first is CO, that that is on the transcon runs for the most part.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

AirframeAS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting NWAESC (Reply 22):
If they do, it gets broken a lot.

I read on one of the August pilot slowdowns thread that someone mentioned something about that. I forgot who, but it was said that if a NW pilot pulls out of the gate early, it's disciplinary action up to and including termination...or somewhere along those lines.

isitsafenow

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 24):
if a NW pilot pulls out of the gate early, it's disciplinary action up to and including termination...or somewhere along those lines.

Boy..in the past couple of years, I'll bet close to 100 pilots got bounced on flights I was on.
I.E. I was on alot of NW trips where we left the gate early....Two in the past 5 days.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

AirframeAS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 25):

LOL Safe!  rotfl  I was only asking a question because I saw the same question mentioned in the NW Pilots August slowdown.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos